Matt Judge resigns from role as Manchester United’s Head of Corporate Development

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Were there any reports suggesting that he was incompetent at his job or is he just getting it because our club structures completely failed as a whole?
He negotiated all signings and contracts since 2014 - I’d say he was below average at best on the info we have.

HBFSTR00

Supports
Ten hag
Oh? Is Arnold also leaving? I didn't know that. Cause Van der Sar has nothing to do with the football side of Ajax, he's their CEO.

(Also, why do so many people write 'Saar' and 'Haag'? Autocorrect?)
I’ve been wondering this as well.. even on tv they say Ten Haag.

crossy1686

career ending
Well it seems like there’s a shake up going on. Whether it’s Ralf’s influence or not I’m sure there will be people talking down the structural changes since he came jn

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Oversaw an enormous mess, now jumps ship realising there's no way of fixing it.

I'm a beautiful thing

Malcolm McLaren once said
In order to create, first you have to destroy.
I'm sure some at the club are upset, there might some cushy, comfortable jobs under threat, both on and off the pitch

I Am Zlatan

It’s happening! The incompetent people are leaving, and being replaced by footballing people! I hope we see some tangible results starting next season!

RedPed

Whatabouter.
And people keep dumping on Rangnick. The guy has done an incredible service to this club by holding it accountable for years of gross negligence and incompetence.
Give it a rest, he's done no such thing, ffs. :lol: How do you know this exactly? I know people love to exaggerate his role here, but wow that is really taking the piss.

afatzp

You can't negotiate if you don't know the leveraging.

By all means, If you don't know football, how you can negotiate players' contracts ? It's just like you are negotiating the price of a jewelry while you don't know what stone this is.

I bet Judge's job should have been supper easy: talk to the player's agent and get a quote, come back and ask Edward if we can afford it and what is the ceiling. Then go back to tell the agent this is the best we can do, take it or not.

The successor's quality might be good or bad, but it does not take away that sacking Judge is absolutely good news as we finally see some accountability and see those responsible for terrible recruitment and contract renewal got removed.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
The tea lady could leave United and the media would cause a huge fuss about it.
Whitwell is a United fan so not your usual negativity for the sake of it.

*even if I don’t agree with him

Newstyle

This is a GREAT thing. Finally some accountability of the world’s highest paid squad.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Dutch or UK tv? I'd assume one way or another that they'll mispronounce his name randomly abroad, until they've settled on the 'correct' way to mispronounce it. But the writing isn't that complicated; it's no Mkhitaryan. (Yes, I looked it up.)

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Whitwell is a United fan so not your usual negativity for the sake of it.

*even if I don’t agree with him
Yeah, I don't really get it. Why would Ten Hag be worried about Judge leaving? It's not like Judge would set football direction or otherwise be someone Ten Hag would be working with a lot; and you'd expect that any replacement United appoint would be at least as competent in getting transfers done.

I mean, if I move to another employer and the HR person I worked with on my contract leaves just before I start - why would that concern me? (I know, not exactly the same; but not entirely different either.)

edcunited1878

Didn't Mkhitaryan and Zlatan share an agent with Pogba? If so, there's your explanation for those two. Three for the price of one; absolute bargain.

I rather think you're overestimating the part Judge played in all of the bolded, but that won't stop me celebrating his departure.
Judge played a role in the latter 2 in the bold, but if one part of the bold is broken, it's all broken. Which he was part of it, that was the point.

phelans shorts

That's true, but wouldn't a footballing man such as Mitchell be better placed to know a footballers true worth, both in terms of transfer fee and wages?
Being able to spot a player and being able to balance books are very very different skill sets. There is literally zero reason to think that he would be capable of fulfilling that role better than Judge did, even if he is flavour of the month.

Mainoldo

Let’s get Monaco’s negotiator. Not Mitchell the guy that sold their super squad. Mbappe, Silva, Martial, Fabinho, Babyoko etc.

edcunited1878

Being able to spot a player and being able to balance books are very very different skill sets. There is literally zero reason to think that he would be capable of fulfilling that role better than Judge did, even if he is flavour of the month.
But that's all being mainstreamed.

Budget is set by the Glazers, which it should go directly to Arnold and Murtough simultaneously. Sounded like it went from Glazers, Woodward, then Judge. If everybody immediately knows how much they can spend, starting from Murtough, from transfer fees (amortized) and wage fees + bonuses (weekly), then it's more efficient and Murtough and group have a much better idea of player priority, budget, and talent relative to spend.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
A common thread during his tenure is extremely slow negotiations that often took until the deadline to get over the line, leaving little room for more business even if it was required.

Its hard to know what exactly goes on during these back and forths, but there are numerous examples of clubs getting business done in swift order that suggests Manchester United got a lot of potential to improve.

edcunited1878

Let’s get Monaco’s negotiator. Not Mitchell the guy that sold their super squad. Mbappe, Silva, Martial, Fabinho, Babyoko etc.
Monaco was always a selling club, especially when their club owned revenues couldn't keep up their spending, which was funded by their Russian owner.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
Force of habit, I think. Someone has already mentioned van Gaal, but there’s also Dick Advocaat, Jaap Stam, and Klaas-Jan Huntelaar. The single “a” Dutch people have been more visible amongst us, I think. Erik ten Cate, Bert van Marwijk, and Schteve McClaren, are unfortunately not that recurring in the media we consume.

Last edited:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Give it a rest, he's done no such thing, ffs. :lol: How do you know this exactly? I know people love to exaggerate his role here, but wow that is really taking the piss.
Ha. I´m just tired of those taking a shit on him when he's the first one to really say it how it is, bar one or two Mourinho moments.

Revaulx

Judge played a role in the latter 2 in the bold, but if one part of the bold is broken, it's all broken. Which he was part of it, that was the point.
Agreed.

It looks like Murtough is a competent chap whose decision making was very much constrained by Woodward. I very much doubt the same could be said of Judge.

Cloud7

Based on those transfer negotiations and contracts that were given out this is a very good thing

Revaulx

But surely it’s not the negotiator’s job to balance books?

What’s needed is someone who can spot a player and also have a decent idea of where that player sits (or, more importantly, potentially sits) on the transfer fee/salary scale. Is he a £50k a week or £350k and that sort of stuff; which requires knowledge of what similar players are being paid elsewhere.

Maybe Judge had really done his homework and actually knew all this. Given some of the fees and wages paid by United since he got involved, that seems unlikely.

RedDevilQuebecois

Paul Mitchell in the offing then?
Hopefully!

Back on Matt Judge, I'm glad to see that we are basically purging ALL bad leftovers from the Ed Woodward era. That is the cultural reboot I wanted to see, and I can't wait for that to apply on the playing squad soon.

Frank Grimes

For all we know Judge could have been one of the best people we had at the club. I know that's probably unlikely but I do feel suspicious that so many people claim to know the inner machinations of our club and that this is such good news.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
For all we know Judge could have been one of the best people we had at the club. I know that's probably unlikely but I do feel suspicious that so many people claim to know the inner machinations of our club and that this is such good news.
Hes been outed many times

Nickelodeon

We have spent an insane amount of money on transfers, on wages to mediocre players and not made any money from sales of squad or academy players. To have this squad post all our spending is worth a 100 sackings. Should’ve happened years ago but better late than never.

MDFC Manager

The very same.

Also the same twat who had a meeting with (rumoured to be) Meunier and his agent. He didn't know anything about him, asked him his name and the number of appearances he had made. The agent promptly ended the meeting.
Also, this fecker used intermediaries during negotiations in almost every transfer I believe.

MDFC Manager

You could be right. But the evidence we have suggests otherwise.