Not open for further replies.

The Purist

Supports
Arsenal
Keep your pants on both those claims are about Darmian smartass

I'll make it clear to you

Darmian >= Coleman >>> Valencia >>> Clyne
Hahaha. Surely a wind-up.

From what I've seen of Darmian, he's a good player and certainly fills a massive weakness in your team at right back. He's on a similar level to Clyne but with greater international experience. He won't be as good as some people on here expect but that's because as with every signing he's being built to be 'the next Maldini/Zambrotta'. Lower your expectations a bit. He's a solid RB who fills a gap, not a world beater.

Riz

Hahaha. Surely a wind-up.

From what I've seen of Darmian, he's a good player and certainly fills a massive weakness in your team at right back. He's on a similar level to Clyne but with greater international experience. He won't be as good as some people on here expect but that's because as with every signing he's being built to be 'the next Maldini/Zambrotta'. Lower your expectations a bit. He's a solid RB who fills a gap, not a world beater.
Wait so would you take him over Debuchy or not, just you edited that part out so fast I'm not sure. :)

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
PL experience isn't all that important but it'd obviously be a help in that it would make it easier for the new player to settle.

The PL might not be amazing defensively but it is probably a quite different league in terms of pace/physicality, no? Our manager certainly seemed to think it was. Hardly outrageous to suggest a player who has never played in the PL before has more adjusting to do than a player whose been here for years, or that different flaws in their game could be highlighted in a new league.

Plus there's quite a cultural difference between living in Italy and living in England. Someone who had played here before would be better able to adjust to that too.

I wouldn't sign a player just because they have PL experience but that doesn't mean it isn't a factor to consider either.

The Purist

Supports
Arsenal
Wait so would you take him over Debuchy or not, just you edited that part out so fast I'm not sure. :)
No I wouldn't and have watched a decent amount of both. It is close though. Took it out because I didn't want to come across like a WUM. At the end of the day, you've got yourself a right back close to the quality of Debuchy/Sagna. RB is your weakest defensive position IMO, it's a good signing.

Riz

No I wouldn't and have watched a decent amount of both. It is close though. Took it out because I didn't want to come across like a WUM. At the end of the day, you've got yourself a right back close to the quality of Debuchy/Sagna. RB is your weakest defensive position IMO, it's a good signing.
To be fair he has got what 4 years on Debuchy, I agree it's not gunna set our team alight but I was worried we were gunna neglect the right back spot so it's decent to bring someone in.

SammyUnited_83

To be fair before we signed him Kagawa was among the best players.
This just highlights how fickle fans are!

When we signed Kagawa people raved about him on here, think he was voted best player in the league by the German fans and we all grinned widely when it was suggested that he was a "Barcelona" style player - seems to be forgotten as he became more and more shite for us.

I haven't seen Darmian play but Italian league is nowhere near where it used to be so I am not going to get all giddy that he was voted to be in the team of the year, because, as it showed with Kagawa it means jack shit.

Rezyuz

A Southamtpon side that boasted a better defense than ours all season and yet statistically Valencia performed better defensively than Clyne. We may be arguing the same point that stats aren't everything.
But im also arguing that Valencia's stats aren't better at all.

The Purist

Supports
Arsenal
To be fair he has got what 4 years on Debuchy, I agree it's not gunna set our team alight but I was worried we were gunna neglect the right back spot so it's decent to bring someone in.
Yes. He fits Van Gaals system due to his attacking contributions which are definitely good for a full back. He will give you a little more potency in the 'easier' games which were your downfall this season and a little more solidity. Not a world beater though but I guess there's nothing better on the market at right back.

Rezyuz

All opinions are memory based, wtf? Stats are about AS useful as highlights, I'd argue, because both can give a misleading picture. Actually watching someone play a decent amount of times trumps stats almost every time.
Yeah as people totally do not have selective memories and bias their opinions by multiple reasons.

Stats are facts. Its utterly stupid to call them "as useful as highlights".

The problem is most people judge a player on a minimum amount of obvious stats. But if you look at all the stats provided, then theres 0% to argue about.

Example:

Guy A: Valencia has 93% passing!

Guy B: Valencia has 93% passing, 800 backwards, 400 forward and with a forward succesion rate of 76%.

Do you see the difference? Guy A is your highlight guy and practically everyone who says stats are useless/biased/blablabla

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Yes. He fits Van Gaals system due to his attacking contributions which are definitely good for a full back. He will give you a little more potency in the 'easier' games which were your downfall this season and a little more solidity. Not a world beater though but I guess there's nothing better on the market at right back.
I feel he has the potential to be a world beater working under LVG

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Should be a good signing. Liked him during world cup. Not exorbitant price as well.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Can't say I know much about him. Hope he winds up one of those somewhat under the radar gems like Evra and Vidic.

The Purist

Supports
Arsenal
I feel he has the potential to be a world beater working under LVG
If so, hopefully he becomes one within the next season or two so Barca can take him as a Dani Alves replacement before he does too much damage for United! ;)

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Example:

Guy B: Valencia has 93% passing, 800 backwards, 400 forward and with a forward succesion rate of 76%.
It does mean Valencia has 101.5% passing backwards, which is unique.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
If so, hopefully he becomes one within the next season or two so Barca can take him as a Dani Alves replacement before he does too much damage for United! ;)
Bellerin. ;)

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
Yeah as people totally do not have selective memories and bias their opinions by multiple reasons.

The problem is most people judge a player on a minimum amount of obvious stats. But if you look at all the stats provided, then theres 0% to argue about.

Example

Do you see the difference? Guy A is your highlight guy and practically everyone who says stats are useless/biased/blablabla
Without even getting into whether stats are as useful as highlights (was a throw away comment anyway) its ludicrous to say stats are more useful than "memory based opinions", by which, from what I can infer, you can only mean "actually watching someone play". I know Jones isnt the best U23 in Europe based on my extensive memories of watching him play, stats that say he is are clearly misleading. Even example B is far less useful than actually watching gams because there are so many other factors when determining a players worth, a lot of which are rather intangible. I've only seen Darmian play twice so I won't presume to pass any judgement on him.

That oft cited quote about stats being like miniskirts is perfect.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Example:

Your guy B isn't smarter than the A guy because, Valencia played a lot more passes in the opposition half which explain the backward passes, the style of the teams play a part in where the passes are made, also Valencia played more but shorter passes in less games.

::sonny::

8 million + bonus, it would be a great deal considering the quality of the player, the age, the last season performances (47 games played)

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Indeed. The incredible level of defending and attacking in Premier League. I think he will consider cutting his career short once he witnesses the magic of Walters, Agbonlahor and Vardy.
:lol:

Rezyuz

Your guy B isn't smarter than the A guy because, Valencia played a lot more passes in the opposition half which explain the backward passes, the style of the teams play a part in where the passes are made, also Valencia played more but shorter passes in less games.
I was giving a fictional example, those stats aren't accurate i simply gave an example lol.

FacerTheRed

He's 6ft, a versatile player that can practically play anywhere on the backline and he's Italian. I approve this deal. :)

JoaquinJoaquin

Nice one. ;)

Not going to happen though. He's already responded to those rumours. I genuinely don't think he likes Barcelona.
You keep telling yourself that. I fully expect him to be a Barca player within 3 years if he carries on progressing.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

8 million + bonus, it would be a great deal considering the quality of the player, the age, the last season performances (47 games played)
8 Mio? What kind of players would you get for that kind of money in nowadays market? Well beside Nani.

I think Darmian would be a good signing. I cannot see too many alternatives at the moment.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Nice one. ;)

Not going to happen though. He's already responded to those rumours. I genuinely don't think he likes Barcelona.
Yeah, no I honestly don't attach any form of credence to those quotes. What was he supposed to say ? As soon as I'm Mr. Bigshot I'll be taking my talents to La Liga ? Provided Hector continues on his current trajectory and becomes one of the best right backs around, moving to Barcelona would be a matter of when, and not if. Supporters of a lot of other clubs think and hope that it won't happen, but it's inevitable. Especially when it comes to a Catalan to progressed through La Masia, and will be embraced like a prodigal son upon his return.

Status
Not open for further replies.