Matteo Darmian | LVG confirms he's on his way here for a medical

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walters_19_MuFc

He was fantastic in the world cup, but that was him playing as a right wing back. What's he like in a flat back four? Positioning, one vs ones, etc?

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
Is this guy (potentially) signing because of an LVG recommendation? Or one found using our own scouting network. Not that anyone would really know, i was just wondering what people think.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Valencia's terrible in the air and Blind is no great shakes either. Hopefully Darmian and Shaw can be better.
According to ScoutNation, aerial duels are a weakness of his.

I haven't seen much of Darmian but I do remember him from the World Cup and he looked quality. Looks like we're getting him for a low price which is good news.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
PL experience isn't all that important but it'd obviously be a help in that it would make it easier for the new player to settle.

The PL might not be amazing defensively but it is probably a quite different league in terms of pace/physicality, no? Our manager certainly seemed to think it was. Hardly outrageous to suggest a player who has never played in the PL before has more adjusting to do than a player whose been here for years, or that different flaws in their game could be highlighted in a new league.

Plus there's quite a cultural difference between living in Italy and living in England. Someone who had played here before would be better able to adjust to that too.

I wouldn't sign a player just because they have PL experience but that doesn't mean it isn't a factor to consider either.
Evra, vidic, DeGea, ronaldo etc

NL Max

Dutch ITK, for reals
Apparantly there is a Torino supporter who continually edits his Wiki to remove that he has Armenian parents :lol:

Hellboy

No but theres a top one at Everton who play in the PL which is my point. Apparently we cant have opinions on who would be a better fit for the team.
For the prices quoted, Darmian makes a lot more sense than £25m + for Seamus Coleman. :lol:

Jacob

Apparantly there is a Torino supporter who continually edits his Wiki to remove that he has Armenian parents :lol:
There's no denying it. Any surname that ends with -jan, -yan or -ian is Armenian or Persian.

NL Max

Dutch ITK, for reals
There's no denying it. Any surname that ends with -jan, -yan or -ian is Armenian or Persian.
FIFA and an Armenian program confirmed it aswell, yet this supporter denies it and has changed it multiple times over the last few months (it's correct atm). He says it's a mistake and that he's Italian, maybe a bit too proud of his own country?

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
FIFA and an Armenian program confirmed it aswell, yet this supporter denies it and has changed it multiple times over the last few months (it's correct atm). He says it's a mistake and that he's Italian, maybe a bit too proud of his own country?
I remember years ago a wiki battle going on with Sean Connerys page one minute he was a Celtic supporter the next a Rangers one

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
From @Carlogranata in the newbies. He joined to give us a Torino supporter perspective. He apologises for the grammar, but it's not hard to understand so I said I'd repost it. Here's his verdict.

hello everybody.

Hope you don't mind if I write down some thought about Darmian. I'm from Torino and a Torino's supporter.

I'm reading many mistrustful comments abount Darmian and few unfair comments about my city.

I can tell that Darmian is for TORO a very important player. His lost will be very hard to replace because of his professionality and footballs skills.

He can play LB and RB in 3-5-2 and 4th defender in four people defending. In past 2 years we played 352 so he get used to this but he's adaptable and could easily change playstyle.

He's always the least to give up, the most runner.

this year we played Europe League and, as in serie A, he was always one of the best 22 players.

very good defensor and, once attacking,he's almost always able to cross. In my opinion isn't one of the best crossers, maybe because he cross so many times he can do wrong, but once he cross without hitting the opposite defendant it's goal most of the times.

I can't tell you if he will fit for Pl's standards but for sure he works hard and has a solid defending background, since italian's defensive style is better than pl (in my opinion and according to players and coaches who went from england to italy or from italy to england). it's sure that england playstyle is more physical and maybe he'll need to get used to.

In conclusion you go on you will sign a great professionist and a great person. I'm really sad of his leaving but I hope you could be proud of him as we all are.

Let me just say something about my city. it's not sad as someones wrote. It could be industrial city but Torino was capital of italy. Royal stay and as someones wrote is surrounded by Alps.

Don't know Manchester's weather but could imagine is worst than torino's.

All the best and always FORZA TORO, JUVE MERDA! (go Torino, **** off Juventus!)
Carlo.

(sorry for my english, it could be full of errors. I know grammars but you get used to make right sentences only speaking it frequently)

Reposted with my personal apologies to any Juve fans on the board :lol:

Hellboy

For prices quoted..we dont know the real money involved. Anyway I said previously Coleman would be my choice but at least this lad looks like a proper full back. Oh and :lol: for some reason
We know that Coleman signed a 5 year contract last season, we don't know the money involved but we can imagine he'd cost £25m easily in the current market. Not worth it and better spent elsewhere while securing one of the best young RBs around.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
Does it matter?
Well one is a player who is bought because he fits certain characteristics lvg desires but runs the risk of being a disappointment due to other undesirable traits (personality maybe I don't know). The other is a player lvg rates very highly himself and therefore more likely to suit his philosophy.

Id rather have a player LVG recommended right now, rather then say a Rafael that scouts find who looks good to most people but not LVG.

lysglimt

Scout
Not sure if this has been posted before - but scout Tor Kristian Karlsen writes the following about him:

He is very aggressive when putting pressure on his opponents - and occationally get caught out 1-on-1. He also creates a lot of freekicks.

He is quick, very attacking, His playing-style is enthusiastic and intense.

Good all-round player and the price is ok. Potentially a good signing for United.

LilRicky

This just highlights how fickle fans are!

When we signed Kagawa people raved about him on here, think he was voted best player in the league by the German fans and we all grinned widely when it was suggested that he was a "Barcelona" style player - seems to be forgotten as he became more and more shite for us.

I haven't seen Darmian play but Italian league is nowhere near where it used to be so I am not going to get all giddy that he was voted to be in the team of the year, because, as it showed with Kagawa it means jack shit.

To be fair, the Italian league is actually technically sound and their teams have out performed English teams in European competitions the last couple of seasons.

The season just gone they had Two Italian teams in the Semi Finals of the Europa (Napoli & Fiorentina) and of course Juventus went all the way to the Final of the CL.

Not too shabby is it really. There is definitely a bit of a resurgence on going in Italian football. There's some fantastic footballers playing in Serie A.

Empire

@NL Max

Can you tell us a little bit about what Louis van Gaal wants from his full back, and does Darmian fit that profile?

Thanks, no worries if you don't want to.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
Well one is a player who is bought because he fits certain characteristics lvg desires but runs the risk of being a disappointment due to other undesirable traits (personality maybe I don't know). The other is a player lvg rates very highly himself and therefore more likely to suit his philosophy.

Id rather have a player LVG recommended right now, rather then say a Rafael that scouts find who looks good to most people but not LVG.
Even if the scouts found him LVG would only want him if he thought he would work out. Same as if he scouted the player himself. What's the point of scouts if not to identify players who will fit in with the club.

LvG could personally pick a player who doesn't end up working out also for the same reason you give.

Oh well the summer is always filled with weird sound on things.

Dr Baltar

Not sure if this has been posted before - but scout Tor Kristian Karlsen writes the following about him:

He is very aggressive when putting pressure on his opponents - and occationally get caught out 1-on-1. He also creates a lot of freekicks.

He is quick, very attacking, His playing-style is enthusiastic and intense.

Good all-round player and the price is ok. Potentially a good signing for United.
Sounds like a certain Brazilian right-back already on our books. If he could be exactly like him but stay fit I'd be happy.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Evra, vidic, DeGea, ronaldo etc
Aye, like I said, it isn't all that important.

Though I'm sure we could pull together a list of players who were good in other leagues but struggled to adapt in England too.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Seamus Coleman who is already in PL like I said
Cannot believe we are refusing to pay £30m for a proven PL player who has already confirmed he has what it takes to stop Puncheon and Jarvis but are happy to spend £12m on some random Italy international that is only wanted by Juventus and Bayern.

Devil may care

From @Carlogranata in the newbies. He joined to give us a Torino supporter perspective. He apologises for the grammar, but it's not hard to understand so I said I'd repost it. Here's his verdict.

Reposted with my personal apologies to any Juve fans on the board :lol:
Always like to hear from fans of players we are linked with, but now I just want us to buy the Alps to place around Old Trafford, make it like Blofeld's base.

Number 36 is available (just saying)
He'll get the #2 I imagine.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Cannot believe we are refusing to pay £30m for a proven PL player who has already confirmed he has what it takes to stop Puncheon and Jarvis but are happy to spend £12m on some random Italy international that is only wanted by Juventus and Bayern.
Hmm ok rumours of interest over proven experience.

Its like a load of you lads have blue balls because ts been over 6 weeks since you had a pop at the cute little Dutch tart and now theres a tasty italian bird eyeing you up but your mate is irritating you by saying how about having a look at the pasty faced but more experienced Irish bird who lives down the street. Grow up ffs!

NJM78

I hope we get this guy soon and it doesn't just fizzle out into a long drawn transfer saga.
I'm just going off World Cup games and the OP youtube video but he looks very comfortable either side, good going forward with nice delivery but most importantly it looks like he can actually defend. The price seems very reasonable and leaves more in the bank for other signings.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Get this done before other teams start sniffing about. At the price quoted, this would be an absolute steal.

Status
Not open for further replies.