Matteo Darmian | LVG confirms he's on his way here for a medical

Status
Not open for further replies.

dasty

Can't make my mind up about this one. You compare him with Valencia stat-wise last season and he is slightly better going forward but slightly worse in defence. Is that worth a €20mill investment?
I've seen him play a few times and he looks like a good player, but is he the answer to our RB problem?
Because stats are the most deceiving things for a defender. If you are looking at stats alone then we do not need to upgrade on Jones and Smalling because they are the best central defender partnership in PL stats-wise.

FromTheBench

Because stats are the most deceiving things for a defender. If you are looking at stats alone then we do not need to upgrade on Jones and Smalling because they are the best central defender partnership in PL stats-wise.
Sidenote but Jones and Smalling are actually a pretty good defensive pairing already. They just don't play with each other for a continous run due to Injuries. Also, aren't that good as a pairing on the ball as LVG ideally seems to want.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He's slightly older than I thought at 25. I'd be happy with a potential move, but I don't see much in it in terms of credibility.
He ridiculed Clyne during the recent Italy vs England game + he can play in multiple roles

Glory Glory Denis Irwin

Glory Glory Denis Irwin
Yeah you're probably right. I just don't have anything else to base it on apart from the 4-5 games I've seen him play, which isn't enough to judge a player on.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Don't believe in the link. Just feel they're adding 2+2, given that we need a right back and Torino are currently auctioning Darmian.

Revan

Assumptionman

So we've actually made a bid for him then? Di Marzio is definitely connected on these things, especially on italian matters. Heard only good things about him so hopefully it happens. Anyone know what his injury record is like?
He doesn't get injured. Avaraged 38 games per season, for the last 4 seasons (Torino was in Europa League only in the last season). On the league he avaraged more than 33 games per season in the last 4 seasons. Basically, he doesn't get injured.

Until he arrives here, of course. Then he'll get infected with the illness our entire defense have and so we see Valencia crossing show again.

Di Marzio hasn't been reliable these days IMO. Maybe he's better when it comes to Italian football, but to me he looks the typica bullshitter.

Phil

Let us not forget, DiMarzio is full of excrement.

Loublaze

ATLien
I can't think of a single Italian defender that was a success in the PL. United signing him would be such a Liverpool thing to do.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Is he even any good? I've never seen him play besides at the World Cup, but I didn't really take much notice of him.

I always thought he was a lot younger than he actually is too.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Is he even any good? I've never seen him play besides at the World Cup, but I didn't really take much notice of him.

I always thought he was a lot younger than he actually is too.
He isn't the best right back in the world, however, he's a very decent one. As many have mentioned, he's a versatile player who can attack and defend competently. At 25, he still relatively young, meaning he can develop into an even better player.

I watched him during the world cup and he was very impressive; that, too, in a poorly performing Italy team. I haven't watched him play much for Torino, however, I have heard good things from a friend who's heavily invested in Serie A. At around £15m, you really can't go wrong.

Truedevil

A Torino fans' post on reddit about Darmian:
Torino fan here. He is the future for Italy at right wing back, and among our best players.

He was released by Milan as a kid and was signed by Toro from Palermo while we were in Serie B. He has been one of our most important players since. He is best going forward, but he has an excellent work rate and his tracking is very good. Also a good finisher. He has a tendency to be slightly inconsistent and can ball watch at times.

He is worth much more than the 15 million being touted and I don't think it's true being honest, our president Urbano Cairo has quite clearly stated he is valued at 20 million and will not go for less. We turned down Bayern's 17 million offer, and a 10 million + El Kaddouri and Zapata offer from Napoli. He's worth the 20 million. Easily.

Top player. I'd be very sad to see him leave but would understand. He is by far my favourite player. Has a very level headed personality too which makes him extremely easy to work with. If you have any other question please feel free to ask me.

Devil may care

I can't think of a single Italian defender that was a success in the PL. United signing him would be such a Liverpool thing to do.
I can't think of many Italians in the PL period, certainly few that were national team mainstays. I'd say the classic Liverpool transfer is the overrated English option and they met that with Clyne.

wiz4231

If it means the end of having to watch Valencia play at RB please get it done today

Loublaze

ATLien
I can't think of many Italians in the PL period, certainly few that were national team mainstays. I'd say the classic Liverpool transfer is the overrated English option and they met that with Clyne.
Clyne is properly rated. I don't see many people saying he's world class or the next best thing. General consensus is that he's a good young player on the way to fulfilling his potential

Paolo Tramezzani; Alessandro Pistone; Christian Panucci; Marco Materazzi; Gianluca Festa; Matteo Ferrari; Andrea Dossena; Daniele Daino; Lorenzo Amoruso

Italian defenders to have graced the Premier League. Source: wiki
My point exactly. None of them made a great impact on English soil. You could add Santon to that list even though he's just another Brazilian who chose to play for Italy.

Devil may care

Clyne is properly rated. I don't see many people saying he's world class or the next best thing. General consensus is that he's a good young player on the way to fulfilling his potential
He's a player with half a good top flight season under his belt that was less fancied at RB than Jones and Henderson for England's last qualifying game. Yet somehow he's a RB that teams with ambition should be looking at in the eyes of some. I think if he wasn't English then Liverpool wouldn't have bothered, I have complete confidence that we didn't because we realize that he's nothing special, no better than most RB's that have played for England since Nevs faded.

Devil may care

Paolo Tramezzani; Alessandro Pistone; Christian Panucci; Marco Materazzi; Gianluca Festa; Matteo Ferrari; Andrea Dossena; Daniele Daino; Lorenzo Amoruso

Panucci and Materazzi are the only 2 on the list I really recognize. Are these all players that were regular's for the Italian national team and did they play in the PL in their prime?

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Panucci and Materazzi are the only 2 on the list I really recognize. Are these all players that were regular's for the Italian national team and did they play in the PL in their prime?
It was a list of all the Italian defenders to have played for a Premier League club - ranging from Blackburn to Chelsea.

@Loublaze Yes, you're correct, I missed Davide Santon.

The list illustrates how few Italian defenders have plied their trade in the PL. The best of the best - Maldini, Nesta, Cannavaro, Zambrotta etc. have stayed away from England, therefore, your initial statement of "I can't think of a single Italian defender that was a success in the PL" hasn't enough evidence to demonstrate it's validity.

Devil may care

It was a list of all the Italian defenders to have played for a Premier League club - ranging from Blackburn to Chelsea.

The list illustrates how few Italian defenders have plied their trade in the PL. The best of the best - Maldini, Nesta, Cannavaro, Zambrotta etc. have stayed away from England, therefore, your initial statement of "I can't think of a single Italian defender that was a success in the PL" hasn't enough evidence to demonstrate it's validity.
That's what I was thinking, the top caliber Italian defenders never came here, now I am not saying Darmian is on the level of the ones you listed but he is certainly regarded highly and is the starting fullback for the National side, for the price he'd be worth trying for us IMO.

Loublaze

ATLien

Its still valid, none of the ones who came to England were successful. Thats a fact no? What do the others you mentioned have to do with it if they never played in England? We'll never know how they would've got on.

Enigma_87

You know who
Its still valid, none of the ones who came to England were successful. Thats a fact no? What do the others you mentioned have to do with it if they never played in England? We'll never know how they would've got on.
First lad I don't remember
Panucci was only 1 season on loan at Chelsea.
Materazzi again only one season at Everton and was a late bloomer, picked for the NT after he was 27 years of age.
Pistone was never that highly rated and didn't do all too bad at Newcastle, he was a squad player basically, after that at Everton he was plagued by injuries.
Festa - played for Boro I think can't remember much about him, but doubt he was rated.
Ferrari - one year loan
Dossena was shite and continues to be shite
Daino - can't remember him.
Amoruso - wasn't he a striker?

Brightonian

I'd never even noticed him before that England-Italy game, but since then he's just looked brilliant every time I see him. It's a bit out of the blue to be plausible, but I'd love this.

hobbers

Suppose coming to United could be quite a culture shock for an Italian. Not like being Spanish, coming to United and finding yourself in almost a linguistic majority.

Closest Italian footballer to chum about with would be Balotelli I guess? Haha.

hbgreg

He is known for his good quality of offensive and defensive play, his tactical awareness, his pace, and his stamina, attributes
Yeah, but what about his knowledge of the philosophy? Does he believe in the total human being principle? I don't care about his quality, I just want to know if he can listen to simple directions and perform a role. Come on guys.

Nedved

My point exactly. None of them made a great impact on English soil. You could add Santon to that list even though he's just another Brazilian who chose to play for Italy.
Santon Brazilian? Not at all.

EDIT - Sorry, saw that someone had mentioned it already.

Last edited:

Mali_Zeus

Suppose coming to United could be quite a culture shock for an Italian. Not like being Spanish, coming to United and finding yourself in almost a linguistic majority.

Closest Italian footballer to chum about with would be Balotelli I guess? Haha.
Italian and Spanish are similar languages so he'll be all right. :)

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

Apart from Materazzi and Panucci none of them were great defenders in the first place. It would be like using David May or Titus Bramble as examples of what British defences can provide. Panucci came to Chelsea for a year in which his mate Vialli got sacked after few matches. Marco Materazzi was a first teamer at Everton. He left Everton because his wife hated Liverpool which kind of makes sense since its a shit place to live

http://toffeeweb.com/players/past/Materazzi.html

dasty

He is highly rated by anyone who watches Serie A or follows the Italian national team. Even Juve fans think he is the best full back in the league by far. An Italian first team RB is also in no way worse than an English RB that couldn't get into the national team ahead of Phil Jones being played out of position. He was even named as the best player of the national team for 2014.

At the price being touted around, I can't see how this signing could go wrong. Hopefully Bayern doesn't become interested again now that we are in...

Mister Ed

I'd never even noticed him before that England-Italy game, but since then he's just looked brilliant every time I see him. It's a bit out of the blue to be plausible, but I'd love this.
Any RB signings we'll make now will be a bit out of the blue

I mean the obvious candidates are all gone unless we end up signing Coleman that is (but Everton will skin us on that one)

dasty

Yeah, but what about his knowledge of the philosophy? Does he believe in the total human being principle? I don't care about his quality, I just want to know if he can listen to simple directions and perform a role. Come on guys.
According to Torino fans he is a pretty good kid, never puts a foot wrong or speak up, a model professional and the kind of guy you want your daughter to marry. So I'm guessing he probably can.

Status
Not open for further replies.