Matteo Darmian | LVG confirms he's on his way here for a medical

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil may care

Darmian and Coleman are two good options who would improve us, with little difference between them as far as I can see. I'd be happy with either but Darmian strikes me as the far more likely buy.

Both better than Clyne, I think.
Agreed, I personally like the added attacking threat of Coleman but I think price-wise Darmian will cost half as much and is still a very good option.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Source
http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/footbal...no-confirm-three-bids-for-darmian_232138.html (Referencing La Stampa)

"I have received three offers but I won't reveal from who," Cairo told Italian newspaper La Stampa. "He wants to win the Champions League and Torino can't help him do that."

Interesting that other clubs have bid for him too, hopefully this will be resolved come Friday.
I think it is pretty much certain Bayern have also bid and they can make him guaranteed starter if they intend to keep using Lahm in central role.

I think Bayern will be favourites to land him but we have a chance.

NL Max

Dutch ITK, for reals
I think it is pretty much certain Bayern have also bid and they can make him guaranteed starter if they intend to keep using Lahm in central role.

I think Bayern will be favourites to land him but we have a chance.
If that's true and he has to choose between us and Bayern his competition will be either Valencia or Rafinha. Not much difference as for both clubs he will be seen as (nearby future) starter, he will have to decide on other factors as money/location/league/titles. We do have a chance if we're interested, I don't think Bayern are willing to match our insane wages.

Loublaze

ATLien
He is highly rated by anyone who watches Serie A or follows the Italian national team. Even Juve fans think he is the best full back in the league by far. An Italian first team RB is also in no way worse than an English RB that couldn't get into the national team ahead of Phil Jones being played out of position. He was even named as the best player of the national team for 2014.

At the price being touted around, I can't see how this signing could go wrong. Hopefully Bayern doesn't become interested again now that we are in...
Playing for the NT has never meant jack to me. You think Hodgson is some type of genius? How many times have talented players been left out of big international tournaments because the manager didn't like them for instance? Also, Steve Bruce only had 1 senior cap for England. It means jack shit to be honest.

Mainoldo

If that's true and he has to choose between us and Bayern his competition will be either Valencia or Rafinha. Not much difference as for both clubs he will be seen as (nearby future) starter, he will have to decide on other factors as money/location/league/titles. We do have a chance if we're interested, I don't think Bayern are willing to match our insane wages.
Yeah our wages will be more than they will be willing to offer and hopefully playing in the premier league holds some weight.

Either way like the above poster said, if they do get him and move Lahm permanently into the centre, that should free up Schweiny.

Stan Jefferson

Jack of all trades master of none?

I don't know that's the case, but I'm just a bit wary of players like that myself.
Well to be fair, apart from the fact that 18+8+1 doesn't equal 28, all but one of his appearances was at wing-back, hardly "all-trades". The vast majority of our squad probably played in more varied positions than him last year.

dasty

Playing for the NT has never meant jack to me. You think Hodgson is some type of genius? How many times have talented players been left out of big international tournaments because the manager didn't like them for instance? Also, Steve Bruce only had 1 senior cap for England. It means jack shit to be honest.
He was named as the best player of the national team for 2014. Maybe not for you, but for me that means more than jack shit. At least it shows his quality.

Loublaze

ATLien
He was named as the best player of the national team for 2014. Maybe not for you, but for me that means more than jack shit. At least it shows his quality.
But when you use the example of Phil Jones being preferred to Clyne at RB for England for 1-2 games it means completely jack shit. You don't think Jones is a better RB than Clyne do you? Honestly now

dasty

But when you use the example of Phil Jones being preferred to Clyne at RB for England for 1-2 games it means completely jack shit. You don't think Jones is a better RB than Clyne do you? Honestly now
If Clyne couldn't even defend his place in the starting eleven from Phil Jones playing out of position, then he really isn't all that impressive, especially when compared to someone who is starting every game for Italy and is even named as their best player.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
If you've not watched Darmian play, which I think applies to quite a few, it's best to take knowledge from those who have or learn something from the internet.

Lets wait and see if it's even happening, and if it does, he'll surprise many. Think some opinions would have been different had Torino demanded £25-30 million. It just so happens that they aren't and would be grateful for a significantly lower amount for one of their best players.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
If you've not watched Darmian play, which I think applies to quite a few, it's best to take knowledge from those who have or learn something from the internet.

Lets wait and see if it's even happening, and if it does, he'll surprise many. Think some opinions would have been different had Torino demanded £25-30 million. It just so happens that they aren't and would be grateful for a significantly lower amount for one of their best players.
Never heard of him until yesterday. Would be chuffed to sign him.

C'est Moi Cantona

Well to be fair, apart from the fact that 18+8+1 doesn't equal 28, all but one of his appearances was at wing-back, hardly "all-trades". The vast majority of our squad probably played in more varied positions than him last year.
Yeah and that didn't work out too great did it.

Herrera as DM no, Rooney in midfield no, Di Maria up front no, Fellaini as a striker no, Valencia as RB not really, Blind as DM and LB is the only thing that half worked for me.

Loublaze

ATLien
If Clyne couldn't even defend his place in the starting eleven from Phil Jones playing out of position, then he really isn't all that impressive, especially when compared to someone who is starting every game for Italy and is even named as their best player.
This is rubbish tbh. I asked a simple question, do you consider Jones a better RB than Clyne? Would you start Jones over him in that position?

Stan Jefferson

Yeah and that didn't work out too great did it.

Herrera as DM no, Rooney in midfield no, Di Maria up front no, Fellaini as a striker no, Valencia as RB not really, Blind as DM and LB is the only thing that half worked for me.
Im not sure if you're trying to disagree with me or something but my point was Darmian only played 1 game away from wing back so calling him a jack of all trades was a little daft. Not sure what you're getting at to be honest.

C'est Moi Cantona

Im not sure if you're trying to disagree with me or something but my point was Darmian only played 1 game away from wing back so calling him a jack of all trades was a little daft. Not sure what you're getting at to be honest.
Not at all, just trying to get to the bottom of what sort of player he is, I was just responding to the fact he seems to have played in a few positions, if he is now settled at RB and doing great then that's all good.

Just don't want another 'versatile' player, I want a top, or potential to be top RB.

Thanks for your responses any way.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Not at all, just trying to get to the bottom of what sort of player he is, I was just responding to the fact he seems to have played in a few positions, if he is now settled at RB and doing great then that's all good.

Just don't want another 'versatile' player, I want a top, or potential to be top RB.

Thanks for your responses any way.
Versatility has negative attachments it seems, would you consider Lahm, Rooney or Messi inferior due to playing several positions? I think it's because the versatile player is typically an average footballer with no defined position/ speciality, but iits not a!ways the case, as with Rooney, he moved to accommodate the XI

C'est Moi Cantona

Versatility has negative attachments it seems, would you consider Lahm, Rooney or Messi inferior due to playing several positions? I think it's because the versatile player is typically an average footballer with no defined position/ speciality, but iits not a!ways the case, as with Rooney, he moved to accommodate the XI
With the greatest respect this player is not in he bracket of Lahm, Rooney, or Messi, they are special talents who's natural ability allows them to play in differnt positions, Rooney though is open to question.

Valencia is an adequate RB but better on the RW, Carrick was an ok CB but a very good DM, etc, this is maybe more in line with the sort of player he is, he just needs to be a very good RB , that's all.

Loublaze

ATLien
Who cares about Clyne anyway, except for @Loublaze. Get over it, he isnt good enough and we werent interested.
Im already over it dude, and you can lie to yourself about our interest, it was there and we simply dropped it. It won't stop me from commenting on what I consider to be ludicrous posts concerning him or any other player being discussed.

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
This one might actually be on...

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
When you see comments like this from Italians or Serie A fans, you know you're signing a good player.

Best player Milan have produced thru Primavera in the last 15 years is going to play for Manchester United. Smh
Darmian has easily been best player on Italian national team in past 12 months IMO, superb wing back who can play on both sides
Please Darmian, don't go to Man Utd, don't let those bastards ruin you
If you are a Manchester United fan you should be very excited at possibility of signing Darmian, excellent wing back
Right back, left back, good guy, born to run, 1989. Matteo Darmian would be great for Premier League, if Man United will finalize the deal

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
I've never seen him play tbh (I might have for Italy but I can't remember).

The Law of Denis

If we sign Darmian after Depay, I think our Football Manager scouting policy is quite clear. Expect Balanta, Tielemans and Gaston Gil Romero soon

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
Romagnoli for center back? :drool:

prarek

Never seen him play but those comments from Milan fans excites me.

fatboy

Never seen him play either, but those comments at least look promising. In the current market 20mil euro (14mil pd) is fair for someone intended to be your starting full back.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I would be very pleased with this signing, I rate him higher than Coleman.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
The inner muppet in me is hoping for him and Schneiderlin tomorrow :drool:

Everest Red

Reddest ever
Like the idea but I'm a bit skeptical buying an Italian defender from Serie A.

Status
Not open for further replies.