Matteo Darmian | LVG confirms he's on his way here for a medical

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kag

Can't claim to know the answer to this, but I've read quite a bit about him over the last few days. Generally speaking my views are:

1. Italian team = or > England Team
2. Darmian won the Pallone Azzurro (best player in the Italy National Team) for 2014.
3. Therefore, Darmian is a better option than Clyne at the same price. (BTW - Clyne has only 1 England cap which was against Slovenia)
That's an utterly mental way of comparing the two players.

I don't know who is better, as I've seen Darmian only a couple of times, but the only way you can determine it is based on watching them play.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Comaprisons with Clyne are getting boring now.
When the deal is official I think we should have a Clyne vs Darmian thread. It's going to be a big talking point for the next year.

Ekeke

Clyne is just atheletic and hard working. He's not sound defensively and not impressive going forward, he's in the Antonio Valencia style. I havent seen much of Darmian but if he isnt better than Clyne it'll be a shock

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Clyne is just atheletic and hard working. He's not sound defensively and not impressive going forward, he's in the Antonio Valencia style. I havent seen much of Darmian but if he isnt better than Clyne it'll be a shock
That's not true, Clyne has a good tackling ability, pacey, fairly strong, average in the air but poor positionally, he has very average/ limited technical skills too, he's not a top 4 player yet, but may well improve. Currently speaking, Darmian is the better player, probably more in the aspects that Clyne is weaker in funnily enough, so very attacking, good in the air, good positionally, but leaves a bit to be desired in the technical department too, probably not quite as good a tackler as Clyne either IMO, but you could argue his position in his last team was more attacking than Clyne's

Ekeke

That's not true, Clyne has a good tackling ability, pacey, fairly strong, average in the air but poor positionally, he has very average/ limited technical skills too, he's not a top 4 player yet, but may well improve. Currently speaking, Darmian is the better player, probably more in the aspects that Clyne is weaker in funnily enough, so very attacking, good in the air, good positionally, but leaves a bit to be desired in the technical department too, probably not quite as good a tackler as Clyne either IMO, but you could argue his position in his last team was more attacking than Clyne's
He gets skinned more or less every game. He doesnt do anything above average going forward

Sir A1ex

I don't know who is better, as I've seen Darmian only a couple of times, but the only way you can determine it is based on watching them play.
It's not really.

I'd say the fact that one is a regular in the Italian team and was voted their best player, while the other has one cap for England is a very good indicator.

Obviously watching them play is the ultimate test, but it's dependent on a) watching plenty of matches over a good period of time so you're not swayed by a rare good / bad one or a furn of good / bad form and b) being a very good judge of players' ability (which 90% of people in here claim to be, but most of them are deluded).
Personally I have not done a) and I am not b), so I'm happy at this stage to be guided by the opinions of Antonio Conte and whoever votes for the Pallone Azzurro as they have and are.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
No right-back is going to transform either team.
I didn't think that was possible either until Brøndby IF (Denmark) signed Johan Larsson from IF Elfsborg Boras (Sweden) in the winter. In 18 apps he's got 4 goals and 5 assists (he isn't on penalty duty, corners and free kicks though). He just turned 25 in May and his total career statistics are 214 apps, 37 goals and 31 assists. If we get half that from Darmian we're laughing.

Kag

It's not really.

I'd say the fact that one is a regular in the Italian team and was voted their best player, while the other has one cap for England is a very good indicator.

Obviously watching them play is the ultimate test, but it's dependent on a) watching plenty of matches over a good period of time so you're not swayed by a rare good / bad one or a furn of good / bad form and b) being a very good judge of players' ability (which 90% of people in here claim to be, but most of them are deluded).
Personally I have not done a) and I am not b), so I'm happy at this stage to be guided by the opinions of Antonio Conte and whoever votes for the Pallone Azzurro as they have and are.
Fair point. But then I'd argue it's relatively the equivalent of me stating that Danny Welbeck must be better than Zlatan Ibrahimovic because:

a) England are a better team than Sweden.
b) Welbeck is the top scorer in England's Euro campaign and regularly one of England's best performers.

Playing for Italy and not England just isn't a great deal to go off, albeit I'm confident in the general consensus amongst people that know more about Darmian that I do that he's a very good player, and probably a better bet than Clyne.

Sir A1ex

But then I'd argue it's relatively the equivalent of me stating that Danny Welbeck must be better than Zlatan Ibrahimovic because:

a) England are a better team than Sweden.
b) Welbeck is the top scorer in England's Euro campaign and regularly one of England's best performers.
Not a great comparison...

a) Ibra has 105 caps against Welbeck's 33, including having more over the last two years
b) Ibra is widely acknowledged as Sweden's best player. I don't know if they have an award, but if they do, I bet he wins it every time. Don't think Welbeck would win an England one.
c) Are Sweden really much worse than England?

dasty

a) Ibra has 105 caps against Welbeck's 33, including having more over the last two years
b) Ibra is widely acknowledged as Sweden's best player. I don't know if they have an award, but if they do, I bet he wins it every time. Don't think Welbeck would win an England one.
Sweden do have an award for it, and Ibra had won it every year since 2005 bar 2006 which was won by Ljungberg.

wiz4231

C) Sweden 4 VS England 2
Do I need to post a video of that GOAL

prath92

It's not really.

This could be used to prove Henderson is better than Herrera.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I think a really great idea will be to see how both Clyne and Darmian get on next year, and then make a judgement.

For what it's worth (nothing), I think Clyne is an very-good (possibly excellent) full-back, and I have no clue how good or bad Darmian is.

Revan

Assumptionman
Not exactly. Italy are better han England while England isn't better than Spain. A better comparison would be that Cillessen is better than De Gea cause he starts for Holland who demolished Spain and did better than them in World Cup.

Anyway, I don't agree with this type of comparison. For a start - as average as Clyne is - he is better than Johnson who has been starting until recently (does he still starts).

Revan

Assumptionman
Meh. From the stats, Ivanovic looks to be by far the worst of them, but anyone who has watched them play would say that only Alves might be (not neccesarily though) better than him.

Shark

@NotShark
I wish this guy well in his first season, but I must admit, it's not a signing that excites me as I know so little about him. Hopefully he springs up a surprise.

kotha

Have we got people tracking flights? Tweets from the airport??

Roman Bellic

Prick
Meh. From the stats, Ivanovic looks to be by far the worst of them, but anyone who has watched them play would say that only Alves might be (not neccesarily though) better than him.
They (Ivanovic and Alves) also have players that compliment them.

Shiva87

Agreed, but I can't claim to have seen Darmian yet. So, there is no reference point. You tube videos are selective. Last time I got excited because of a highlights reel was Anderson, and that turned out badly. My point only is, I am happier that we are getting Italy's no.1 RB (and best national team player) as compared to England's back-up choice who has one cap.

Ainu

I wish this guy well in his first season, but I must admit, it's not a signing that excites me as I know so little about him. Hopefully he springs up a surprise.
I don't know much about him either, but the simple fact that he's an actual right back that plays regularly is more than enough to make my excitement levels go through the roof. I'm fecking ecstatic.

Shiva87

There is a fundamental flaw in that argument. The comparison has to be between two equal teams. Spain v/s England is not even a comparison in terms of quality. Sweden and England/ Italy and England are far closer.

HabeasC

When the deal is official I think we should have a Clyne vs Darmian thread. It's going to be a big talking point for the next year.
What a terrible thread that's going to be. Everyone seems to be getting a little rawkish in their defensiveness here over darmian.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
If he settles in well, he could be a good player. Italy usually produce quality. Never heard of him but it's a United type signing. No massive hype. No nonsense and greed on anyones part. Italians do quite well in England so hopefully he can speak some of the lingo

Cal?

CR7 fan
There is a fundamental flaw in that argument. The comparison has to be between two equal teams. Spain v/s England is not even a comparison in terms of quality. Sweden and England/ Italy and England are far closer.
Indeed, England are ranked above Spain in the FIFA ranking.

Roman Bellic

Prick
If he settles in well, he could be a good player. Italy usually produce quality. Never heard of him but it's a United type signing. No massive hype. No nonsense and greed on anyones part. Italians do quite well in England so hopefully he can speak some of the lingo
Not really.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
It's utterly pointless comparing Darmian and Clyne. I'm betting only a few folk on here have seen Darmian play on a consistent basis, add that to the fact that he's played in a completely different league; therefore, making a judgement or a comparison to Clyne is going to be very difficult.

There are some similarities, though. Both play for a club that was recently promoted from a lower division to the highest in their respective countries, and both have deservedly made a move up to better, bigger clubs in the same league. We'll be able to make a reasonable comparison in about 6 months time, maybe more, when both have settled into their new clubs. From what I've seen of Darmian, I don't expect him to struggle to embed himself into the team and the league. He's a very competent player.

Status
Not open for further replies.