Matteo Darmian | LVG confirms he's on his way here for a medical

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iron Stove

Reading about him on Italian forums, almost everyone seem to agree that it would be a good transfer. A lot of them lament the fact that such a talented Italian is leaving the Serie A and I've seen a lot of comments on his mature personality. Even the Juve fans who seem to have some hangup with United consider it a good transfer.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Just to clear up I posted the gifs because I had slight doubts about his pace based on that one clip and wanted someone to put my mind at ease, yes I get he got wrong footed and got the ball back but there's going to be faster players in the premier league he'll come up against and he only gets a chance to get back due to his colleagues being well positioned and delaying the attack long enough for him to recover rather than him demonstrating excellent recovery speed. Hopefully someone who has watched him regularly can respond with.. no thats nothing to worry about ...he rarely if ever gets caught out defensively like that.

TBF most articles seem to describe him as a good defender first and foremost so I'd hope its nothing to worry about at all.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
So he's signing the contract today and having the medical on Friday (according to the tweet on the index page)? Other way around surely?

Bojan11

All this talk about pace. The two Chelsea fullbacks are hardly quick.

Kyle Walker is quick. So is Glen Johnson. That doesn't make them good defenders. As long as he can defend, I am happy. His crossing can't be worse than Valencia anyway:

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Just to clear up I posted the gifs because I had slight doubts about his pace based on that one clip and wanted someone to put my mind at ease, yes I get he got wrong footed and got the ball back but there's going to be faster players in the premier league he'll come up against and he only gets a chance to get back due to his colleagues being well positioned and delaying the attack long enough for him to recover rather than him demonstrating excellent recovery speed. Hopefully someone who has watched him regularly can respond with.. no thats nothing to worry about ...he rarely if ever gets caught out defensively like that.

TBF most articles seem to describe him as a good defender first and foremost so I'd hope its nothing to worry about at all.
he is a bit like Lichtensteiner. Very solid, hard-working team-player, who consistently performs on a good level.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Some media outlets expect a medical to be carried on Friday. At the same, United have warned about a press conference on Friday as well.
Warned? Are they going to beat up journalists who attend?

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
He doesn't seem to have much of it. He looks average speedwise. Shouldn't be too much of a problem if his positioning is good.
What? His pace and stamina are his best assets.

He was leaving England's fullbacks yards behind him during that world cup game.

ghagua

Examples of poor defending by Darmian v Bilbao

I am just hoping this is not a representation of genuine flaws in his game, anyone can look a poor defender on the basis of well selected clips.. but I definitely think from what I have seen that he will definitely be an asset going forwards, his defending I am not too sure on.. have to watch him in action more.
It happens sometimes. Remember when Vidic used to get destroyed by Torres when Vidic was in his prime, same when Evra used to get torched by Aaron Lennon.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I'm a little worried he apparently can't speak any English and with no other Italians in the squad to help he may take awhile to settle in. Any United players that could possibly speak Italian?

I'm happy we've made a signing (nearly) but I'm finding it hard to get excited about this one tbh maybe because I've rarely seen him play, it's not fulfilling my Muppet quota.

Macern

Pee pee pants
I'm a little worried he apparently can't speak any English and with no other Italians in the squad to help he may take awhile to settle in. Any United players that could possibly speak Italian?
Maybe, just maybe, Di María or Rojo can speak a little italian, but it's unlikely.

Skills

Snitch

I'm happy we've made a signing (nearly) but I'm finding it hard to get excited about this one tbh maybe because I've rarely seen him play, it's not fulfilling my Muppet quota.
Di Maria and Rojo maybe. One of the Spanish lot might or he might speak Spanish.

Loublaze

ATLien

Luigi 'Lou' Macari? :lol:

Kakeru

Di Maria could be a good shout; he is an Argentine of Italian descent.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Yeah there's quite a few Argentinians that speak Italian whether the Argies at our club can is anyone's guess.

Feck it sign vidal/marchisio/verratti as a player/translator that'll do me fine.

prarek

Seems to be pretty tall for a fullback at 6 feet and can play both flanks.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Is this guy any good seems to be a mix of opinions?

Nickosaur

Problem is he's massively under the radar. Most on the Caf (myself included) have probably only seen him play a couple of times, and one of those games he was very impressive v England in an average Italy side.

But what gives me hope is the reviews coming from Italy. He hasn't been making waves but he's been quietly going about his job, establishing himself as one of the most consistent and talented full backs in the league. I feel he is the type of player who will step up.

prarek

Examples of poor defending by Darmian v Bilbao

I am just hoping this is not a representation of genuine flaws in his game, anyone can look a poor defender on the basis of well selected clips.. but I definitely think from what I have seen that he will definitely be an asset going forwards, his defending I am not too sure on.. have to watch him in action more.
Tbf Muniain is a very good dribbler who can do that to even the best fullbacks. He still catches up and tackles him though.

Lawman

Problem is he's massively under the radar. Most on the Caf (myself included) have probably only seen him play a couple of times, and one of those games he was very impressive v England in an average Italy side.

But what gives me hope is the reviews coming from Italy. He hasn't been making waves but he's been quietly going about his job, establishing himself as one of the most consistent and talented full backs in the league. I feel he is the type of player who will step up.
Cheers guys I watched a few YouTube videos and usually everybody looks awesome but this guy looks average even in the clips. Just wanted an informed opinion rather than YouTube rubbish to go on.

Shiva87

Can't claim to know the answer to this, but I've read quite a bit about him over the last few days. Generally speaking my views are:

1. Italian team = or > England Team
2. Darmian won the Pallone Azzurro (best player in the Italy National Team) for 2014.
3. Therefore, Darmian is a better option than Clyne at the same price. (BTW - Clyne has only 1 England cap which was against Slovenia)

All in all - good buy in a position we need to address. A lot like how I felt about Evra (when Heinze was constantly injured). If he turns out anywhere as good, will be a great pick out by LVG.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Can't see any mixed opinions?

By all accounts he seems a good player signed for a very good fee. Hopefully he settles in and can step up to a higher level with us (club football) and English football.

Loublaze

ATLien
What? His pace and stamina are his best assets.

He was leaving England's fullbacks yards behind him during that world cup game.
He's not a slouch but he's not a speed merchant either. Maybe you know him better if you watched him in Serie A but watching him at the world cup for Italy he didn't look standout rapid. Stamina wise I'll agree.

prarek

Cheers guys I watched a few YouTube videos and usually everybody looks awesome but this guy looks average even in the clips. Just wanted an informed opinion rather than YouTube rubbish to go on.
I can see your point however i bet Azpilicueta looks pretty average on youtube clips too.

RedDevil@84

Some media outlets expect a medical to be carried on Friday. At the same, United have warned about a press conference on Friday as well.
Ya, the warning looks like a click-bait from manutd.com

News on main page: Man Utd will hold a press conference on Friday afternoon to unveil a new signing

The usage of 'a' new signing gets me exited so I click to read the news.

When I click I read this:

Manchester United will hold a press conference on Friday afternoon to unveil new signing Memphis Depay.

:annoyed::annoyed::annoyed::annoyed::annoyed::annoyed::annoyed:

prarek

Ya, the warning looks like a click-bait from manutd.com

News on main page: Man Utd will hold a press conference on Friday afternoon to unveil a new signing

The usage of 'a' new signing gets me exited so I click to read the news.

When I click I read this:

Manchester United will hold a press conference on Friday afternoon to unveil new signing Memphis Depay.

:annoyed::annoyed::annoyed::annoyed::annoyed::annoyed::annoyed:
:lol:

Lawman

I can see your point however i bet Azpilicueta looks pretty average on youtube clips too.
Nope I'm with you 100% Prarek that's why asking for a more informed opinion than YouTube!

SSSSnake

All this talk about whether any of our players speak Italian reminds me of that clip from Inglorious Bastards when Brad Pitt and his team are getting grilled by Christopher Waltz at the film premier. Can anyone post that clip? Totally forgot how to add videos on here.

Kakeru

All this talk about whether any of our players speak Italian reminds me of that clip from Inglorious Bastards when Brad Pitt and his team are getting grilled by Christopher Waltz at the film premier. Can anyone post that clip? Totally forgot how to add videos on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.