Matthijs De Ligt | Ajax CB

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
He should go to a club where he is going to get the most game time, no point going to Barca to warm the bench if you can be playing week in week out for Liverpool. Vermaelen, Umtiti, Pique, Santos, Lenglet. Although Pique is 31 and Vermaelen 32, still dont see him getting many games.

Liverpool seem stocked for CB's, Lovren, VVD, Gomez, Matip, plus up and comers like Phillips. Maybe Spurs if they have the cash next window, they have three recognised CB's if Toby goes in the european window, and Foyth has never played an EPL game. Sanchez, Vertonghen, Foyth, with Dier able to play CB in a pinch, and Vertonghen 31 now, he could almost walk into that first team.

Irrational.

Rather than fannying around with the likes of Mina and Boateng and so forth, I'd much rather splash out on this guy. Could be the next Varane.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Rather than fannying around with the likes of Mina and Boateng and so forth, I'd much rather splash out on this guy. Could be the next Varane.
We would need to move on a couple CB's which Woody seems reluctant to do.

Dolf

Just absolutely no idea why we do not go for players like de ligt & de Jong.
I can understand us not going for De Jong since we have more than enough midfielders at the moment and to be honest I don't think the PL would suit him.

He should go to a club where he is going to get the most game time, no point going to Barca to warm the bench if you can be playing week in week out for Liverpool. Vermaelen, Umtiti, Pique, Santos, Lenglet. Although Pique is 31 and Vermaelen 32, still dont see him getting many games.

Liverpool seem stocked for CB's, Lovren, VVD, Gomez, Matip, plus up and comers like Phillips. Maybe Spurs if they have the cash next window, they have three recognised CB's if Toby goes in the european window, and Foyth has never played an EPL game. Sanchez, Vertonghen, Foyth, with Dier able to play CB in a pinch, and Vertonghen 31 now, he could almost walk into that first team.
Yes, Spurs is most likely. We will buy Toby and they will buy De Ligt. Would be a big mistake and another short term fix.

izec

He would start for any team in the Premier League after max half a year. He could replace Boateng at Bayern or Barzagli at Juve. If he waits a year or two he can literally walk into any team in world football except for Real and Barca with Ramos and Varane, Pique and Umtiti.

tomaldinho1

He would start for any team in the Premier League after max half a year. He could replace Boateng at Bayern or Barzagli at Juve. If he waits a year or two he can literally walk into any team in world football except for Real and Barca with Ramos and Varane, Pique and Umtiti.
that is bold... surely moving to a top league will be a big difference. Also, I don't think Pique/Umtiti are Ramos/Varane level

steve zizou

It's bigger than that, honest!
Watched him live last weekend. If I didn't know he was 18 at the time, I would've thought he was a seasoned pro.

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
He is without a doubt one of the best talents I've seen in our academy for a long time.

If he were to move to the Premier League, I hope he joins Manchester City or Chelsea.

WelshManc

He is without a doubt one of the best talents I've seen in our academy for a long time.

If he were to move to the Premier League, I hope he joins Manchester City or Chelsea.
On the basis of your last sentence, I'd like to speak for all of us on this forum when I say this, feck you!

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Never seen him but going by the high praise from regular watchers it's bizzare we didn't go for him. I was equally baffled when we didn't bother going for VVD at a time Liverpool wanted him too.

Ah well.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Baffling that when the board would only sanction a big money CB move for someone with resale value we never looked at this lad

I mean an inexperienced CB is the last thing we need but he's going to be class eventually

Greek9

Supports
Panathinaikos
Will fail miserably and choke under big league pressure, my Greek shite league is better than the Dutch one so.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Baffling that when the board would only sanction a big money CB move for someone with resale value we never looked at this lad

I mean an inexperienced CB is the last thing we need but he's going to be class eventually
He probably had no interest in leaving Ajax this summer. When he is ready to leave everyone will be interested.

Revan

Assumptionman
that is bold... surely moving to a top league will be a big difference. Also, I don't think Pique/Umtiti are Ramos/Varane level
He is that good. Probably the best 18 years old CB I have ever seen. To make things more interesting, when I watched one Holland match, he was telling VVD what to do.

If people didn't know his age, they would have thought that he is on his mid twenties.

Sjaakmeoff

Bold but true. Ajax declined a 65mio bid for him this summer. The only reason they can is because there's no chance (except for injuries) he'll be worth less in the next couple of years.

Will fail miserably and choke under big league pressure, my Greek shite league is better than the Dutch one so.
Ha! Did you see him play Ronaldo?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He is that good. Probably the best 18 years old CB I have ever seen. To make things more interesting, when I watched one Holland match, he was telling VVD what to do.

If people didn't know his age, they would have thought that he is on his mid twenties.
Sounds like the kind of defender we really should sign but won't.

IrishMcD

This kid is special. I remember him out pacing Rashford and then bullying him off the ball. I've watched every Ajax game these past two seasons, bar a few, and every time I watch them play I'm left frustrated as to why we haven't already done whatever needs to be done to get de Ligt through the doors at United. He is a once in a generation talent. Already better than anything we have, and will become the best in the world very soon. He is that good. We don't need brilliant scouts or a D.O.F to realise we should be top of the queue to buy the kid.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
At the moment he looks like the biggest prospect Ajax has had in a long time. Raiola's got his fat fingers on him already though...

Hoping your club will sell him to one of the two English clubs who's ridiculous oil money spending over the last 15 years is a big part of the reason why Ajax will never be a European force again, because they have a likeable hipster manager who play 'real' football :lol:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
De Jong will end up at Barca next year.

De Ligt next year or two at one of Barca, Bayern, Juve or Real. City and Spurs have shown a lot of interest too
I think they've already bought a promising CB from Sevilla? As well as having both Pique and Umtiti?

izec

I think they've already bought a promising CB from Sevilla? As well as having both Pique and Umtiti?
De Jong is a midfielder. De Ligt is harder to tell, he is on everyones radar, rightly so, but Barca could make a double swoop and Ajax would be happy to sell him to them

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
When the reports that they will have to sell Yaray Mina to open up a non EU spot started De Ligt was the first CB they were linked with to replace Mina. De Ligt was probably not ready for a move.

Sjaakmeoff

De Jong is a midfielder. De Ligt is harder to tell, he is on everyones radar, rightly so, but Barca could make a double swoop and Ajax would be happy to sell him to them
De Jong is only suitable for teams as Barca, Bayern or City. Won't fit at United.

De Ligt can play at any club, because he's really good at...well...everything. But it would make sense if he would go to Barca. The dreamteam for most Ajax players. And Barca would be stupid to not buy him if they have the chance.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Other than Ligue 1 the best place to buy a quality CB in recent years has been the Eredivisie.
That is true. Alderweireld, Sanchez and Vertonghen are just Spurs examples but also less high profile players like de Vrij have also done well. I actually struggle to think of one defender who left Eredivisie in recent times and failed miserably.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
De Ligt will cost north of €40m now I imagine. Special talent.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Oh, misread that one, my bad

legolegs

duploarms
Supports
Ajax
De Ligt will cost north of €40m now I imagine. Special talent.
Well we've apparently rejected an offer of 65m for him.

De Jong will end up at Barca next year.

De Ligt next year or two at one of Barca, Bayern, Juve or Real. City and Spurs have shown a lot of interest too
I thought so too but I'm not that sure anymore to be honest.
De Ligt will leave next season imo and there are some more players who'd probably expect to move as well (Neres, Onana, Ziyech) and they all have shorter contracts than de Jong.
I mean I kind of agree - I still expect de Jong to leave. But the same can be said about the others and I just don't see us selling half the team next year.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Well we've apparently rejected an offer of 65m for him.

I thought so too but I'm not that sure anymore to be honest.
De Ligt will leave next season imo and there are some more player who'd probably expect to move as well (Neres, Onana, Ziyech) and they all have shorter contracts than de Jong.
I am still amazed those guys are still there especially Ziyech.

legolegs

duploarms
Supports
Ajax
I am still amazed those guys are still there especially Ziyech.
Ziyech surprised me as well because we actually agreed on letting him go for what I think is a fair price of around 35-40m (he still has a contract till 2021) but no club seems to be willing to pay that much.

I'm not too surprised about the others though because we simply don't need to sell. Of course it's too early to tell but our plan over the last years was always to get to a point where we can reject even crazy offers and it seems we've reached that point. Of course we'll still sell players but the plan is that we sell them once they are a bit more established like Ziyech.
Of the players we didn't want to sell we only sold Kluivert so far and that was because he's in the last year of his contract and we actually managed to get an upgrade (right now Tadic is a better player than Kluivert was for us).

Schneckerl

Netherland's best talents and players are all centerbacks. What a time to be alive.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax

Great performance (and wasn't even our best player last night)

Fahad Jawaid

I believe our struggles from playing out of the back will significantly improve if we sign this guy coupled with de jong as deep lying playmaker ala busquets. I wish we manage to scoop moratta (former director football of Juve) he will hopefully have the eye for such signings. Woodward will probably waste half a summer chasing Bale again and then signing Willian and Maguire for combined 120m or something.

19 and already Club Vice Captain and taking the armband in the Champions League. Forgetting that hes a bloody good player, he's absolutely made for Manchester United.