Matthijs De Ligt | Ajax CB

Kostov

Throw the money at Ajax and bring the kid at Old Trafford, it is the best investment we can make regarding that position. Then go and splash the cash on Pavard and we are sorted at CB. Two already very good players, with immense potential, at relatively easy to do business clubs. Too reasonable that, we won't do ti I guess.

Infra-red

19 and already Club Vice Captain and taking the armband in the Champions League. Forgetting that hes a bloody good player, he's absolutely made for Manchester United.
Unfortunately, I think it's more likely that he's made for Barcelona.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
19 and already Club Vice Captain and taking the armband in the Champions League. Forgetting that hes a bloody good player, he's absolutely made for Manchester United.
He is the club captain. Veltman has been demoted, Ten Hag confirmed the other day

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I wish we manage to scoop moratta (former director football of Juve)
A love child of Alvaro Morata and Beppe Marotta?

Back to the thread — the guy looks huge (literally). Was he always that big?

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Hopefully our connections in Ajax pay off, I love Ajax as a club they really educate their players in all parts of the game. You take Toby we get MDL.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
Hopefully our connections in Ajax pay off, I love Ajax as a club they really educate their players in all parts of the game. You take Toby we get MDL.
Ajax turned down €65 million this summer and his price has only gone up since. There's no way Spurs are willing to pay in the €75-100 million range for a 19 year old centreback

If LVG was still he would have swooped him up - he was the reason we got Blind so cheap.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Ajax turned down €65 million this summer and his price has only gone up since. There's no way Spurs are willing to pay in the €75-100 million range for a 19 year old centreback
I can hope, makes much more sense for him at a spurs than City, if he wants to play that is. United have Bailly, Jones, Lindloff and Smalling, who was the offer from?

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
Watch him sign for Wolves next summer. £30m should do it? ;)

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Should have just accepted £40M from us last summer then added another 30M on top of that for De Ligt. Now, when Alderweireld goes you won't get as much and the price for De Ligt has risen further.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Should have just accepted £40M from us last summer then added another 30M on top of that for De Ligt. Now, when Alderweireld goes you won't get as much and the price for De Ligt has risen further.
Nah £15M is nothing over the course of a season. Toby was worth more than that to us. Anyway was there even a bid? I think it was all bollocks.

Bloedrood

Bayern signing wrote all over it.
Bayern's record transfer fee isn't anywhere near what De Ligt would cost. They don't tend to spend big on 1 player, probably even less likely to spend that on a 19 year old center back.

Last edited:

Can23

Supports
Liverpool
I can hope, makes much more sense for him at a spurs than City, if he wants to play that is. United have Bailly, Jones, Lindloff and Smalling, who was the offer from?
Spurs would be the perfect step up for him, but i can't see you guys splashing that cash especially on a 19 year old.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Was obvious 2 years ago he was a class act

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
He was absolutely fantastic yesterday. I hope he considers his next move very carefully. Hopefully he ends up in a team that uses positional play.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Kid needs to stay at Ajax, win a title and fully dominate the Eredivisie before moving IMO. He's only 19. Nothing wrong with staying at Ajax till he's 21/22. Alderweireld was 24 when he left Ajax and Vertonghen was 25. And both belong to the top tier of CB's in the PL. These youngsters need to play lots of minutes, otherwise they fall behind in their development.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
Kid needs to stay at Ajax, win a title and fully dominate the Eredivisie before moving IMO. He's only 19. Nothing wrong with staying at Ajax till he's 21/22. Alderweireld was 24 when he left Ajax and Vertonghen was 25. And both belong to the top tier of CB's in the PL. These youngsters need to play lots of minutes, otherwise they fall behind in their development.
De Ligt is now as good as Vertonghen was in his best season, probably even better, and better than Alderweireld ever was at Ajax. Their situations are not really comparable

Member 93275

Nothing special, maybe just good enough for the Eredivisie, should stay at Ajax for the rest of his career.

Sjaakmeoff

What would Ajax realistically want for him? Or what type of money could they just not turn down?
Ajax can turn down almost any amount. No shortage of money. This summer they turned down 65mio euro for De Ligt.

It's not about money. It's about timing.

In De Ligt's case the price will be set by the market at the moment when Ajax decide to sell (i presume next summer). I think he will go for around 80 mio euro.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
He's got Raiola on standby too according to the reports, which might be a complicating factor. Bayern for example doesn't strike me as a club that likes to do business with him.

Graveyard

I don't think it will be 80 mio. Ajax received 40 mio for Davinson Sanchez I think which was an Eredivisie record. That won't get doubled. I don't believe an offer of 65 mio was made.

Last edited by a moderator:

IrishMcD

Myself and plenty others have been raving about this kid since he broke into the Ajax team. He is already a top quality centre back and is going to be one f the all time greats if he fulfills his potential. You would have to wonder what are scouts/managers are up to splashing cash on tripe like Lindelof when it's been blatantly obvious for two years how good this kid is. He would already walk into our team and would have been a massive upgrade on Jones and Rojo even when he was 17.

Bloedrood

I don't think it will be 80 mio. Ajax received 40 mio for Davinson Sanchez I think which was an Eredivisie record. That won't get doubled. I don't believe an offer of 65 mio was made.
Ajax's transfer policy has changed in the last year, due to last season being a big faillure. There's a lot of pressure on Overmars and Van der Sar to start winning prizes. Ajax has saved a lot of money in recent years, they have like 200 million euros in the bank, and don't have to be the selling club anymore that they were. It's why they now are able to sign more experienced players like Blind and Tadic. And they can say no when clubs come in for their talents. In the case of De Ligt, they know they'll get plenty for him at some point, why sell now when they don't need the money now, especially as he's so hard to replace. Same goes for De Jong, they refused a 50 million offer for him. I guess we'll find out next summer if they're sold, Ajax is a publically traded company, they have to announce transfer fees.

Last edited:

Member 93275

The Voetbal International journalist went to the Marc Overmars press conference where Overmars said they wouldn't sell De Jong and De Ligt this year. There was no talk about actual offers, but it is assumed they were chatting after the presser and he got that info from Overmars, 65m offer for De Ligt, 50m for De Jong, not revealing from where.

Now the real question is, was Overmars telling the truth, or just driving up the price. :D

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Him and De Jong, we really need to throw the safe at ajax next January :lol:

B & W

Supports
Juventus Turin
I believe our struggles from playing out of the back will significantly improve if we sign this guy coupled with de jong as deep lying playmaker ala busquets. I wish we manage to scoop moratta (former director football of Juve) he will hopefully have the eye for such signings. Woodward will probably waste half a summer chasing Bale again and then signing Willian and Maguire for combined 120m or something.
Marotta was the director, but in Italy all people know that the man who chooses players to be signed is Paratici. Marotta managed the whole team (except for Finance), conducted negoziations to buy players and signed contracts. Certainly a very good manager but not exactly what you thinks he is. And I am not sure he can work in England like he has been doing in Italy for many years, because he knows better the italian market than the international one. I am not sure he can speak english, too.