Matthijs de Ligt / signs for Juventus, lowering their average age to 56

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suedesi

Despite signing Hernández, Bayern will now compete with Barcelona for the signing of Matthijs de Ligt. Bayern know that de Ligt would cost around €70m if they reach an agreement, but money is not a problem for them. Club decided Boateng & Hummels are past it.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
Despite signing Hernández, Bayern will now compete with Barcelona for the signing of Matthijs de Ligt. Bayern know that de Ligt would cost around €70m if they reach an agreement, but money is not a problem for them. Club decided Boateng & Hummels are past it.
There's no chance that Bayern are in for him, they have also signed Pavard so along with Sule their defence is sorted. Money certainly is an issue, they have a budget and desperately need to improve other areas of the team particularly the wings.

Member 93275

Probably the other way round. Concluded that while having the cash, they wouldn't be able to sign De Ligt, so they signed Hernandez instead.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
If Barca actually sign De Ligt next season has to be Pique's last season at the club. Barca already have Umtiti and Lenglet to battle out for the spot on the left. Next season if someone like Todibo is Pique's backup he can be brought along slowly like Varane was for Real and give Pique a chance to rest for less important matches. With De Ligt he is captaining a side that just knocked out Real in the CL. He is about as experienced as a young CB could be. He is not going to be on the bench waiting around for Pique to hang up his boots or for him to go to the MLS or China. And Pique has played literally every minute in the league for Barca so far this season. And he is having one of his best seasons of his career and he was colossal for them last season so he is probably not ready to hand over his spot to anyone else.

NoPace

If Barca sign De Ligt, Umtiti (assuming he's healthy enough) would be an incredible signing for us.

Johnny Love

If Barca actually sign De Ligt next season has to be Pique's last season at the club. Barca already have Umtiti and Lenglet to battle out for the spot on the left. Next season if someone like Todibo is Pique's backup he can be brought along slowly like Varane was for Real and give Pique a chance to rest for less important matches. With De Ligt he is captaining a side that just knocked out Real in the CL. He is about as experienced as a young CB could be. He is not going to be on the bench waiting around for Pique to hang up his boots or for him to go to the MLS or China. And Pique has played literally every minute in the league for Barca so far this season. And he is having one of his best seasons of his career and he was colossal for them last season so he is probably not ready to hand over his spot to anyone else.
De Ligt would really fit in like a glove at Barca. As good as Pique/Umiti are, they desperately need some sort of physical presence in that back line. De Ligt fits the bill perfectly.

Suedesi

There's no chance that Bayern are in for him, they have also signed Pavard so along with Sule their defence is sorted. Money certainly is an issue, they have a budget and desperately need to improve other areas of the team particularly the wings.
You could say the same thing for Barca and their CB situation with Umtiti, Lenglet, Pique etc.

However, to address your point, here's the source:

Take it for what it is - Bayern doesn't feck around when they go in panic mode. In terms of budget, they didn't spend much for a couple of years they are due a big summer.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
If Barca sign De Ligt, Umtiti (assuming he's healthy enough) would be an incredible signing for us.
Barca do the Left Footed CB on the Left Right Footed CB on the Right thing so signing De Ligt would not effect Umtiti's place on the squad.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
You could say the same thing for Barca and their CB situation with Umtiti, Lenglet, Pique etc.

However, to address your point, here's the source:

Take it for what it is - Bayern doesn't feck around when they go in panic mode. In terms of budget, they didn't spend much for a couple of years they are due a big summer.
Spending like 200 million on CBs would be insane regardless of what type of situation Bayern are in.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
70m euros, I hope we are in conversations with his agent

Ekeke

They have signed France's 2 starting fullbacks from their world cup win. They played the roles well

crossy1686

career ending
What's stopping us offering £120m for him? If we're genuinely interested we can get him for more than Barcelona and Bayern are willing to pay and at the end of the day, he and Ajax will gladly take the extra cash.

Infra-red

What's stopping us offering £120m for him? If we're genuinely interested we can get him for more than Barcelona and Bayern are willing to pay and at the end of the day, he and Ajax will gladly take the extra cash.
He's probably not interested. Also, Raiola is a cnut.

Aloysius's Back 3

This is what I want to happen too.

Whether who he prefers is Barcelona or Bayern - there should not be a reason why we don't become the best offering team to both ajax and him.

I'd say we should go after de ligt like we did after Pogba.

Robertd0803

Well if Bayern have a chance with him then we should just give Ajax our account details and tell them name their price.

I just assume that he is nailed on to join Barca regardless of what we offer.

NJM78

Why didn’t we sign him 2 years back when he was being raved about and played us in Europa. Reminds me of Eriksen at Ajax but we didn’t need him as we had Cleverley, also we were strongly linked to VVD at Celtic as had huge potential.
I just really hope we get someone better in our scouting department and a DOF to oversee these matters going forward.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Why didn’t we sign him 2 years back when he was being raved about and played us in Europa. Reminds me of Eriksen at Ajax but we didn’t need him as we had Cleverley, also we were strongly linked to VVD at Celtic as had huge potential.
I just really hope we get someone better in our scouting department and a DOF to oversee these matters going forward.
All of the top clubs in Europe have known about De Ligt since he was like 15. He is still at Ajax because Ajax were not ready to sell and De Ligt was not ready to leave.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
I'm not saying we're going to get him or even try to, but I can seriously imagine us being in the mix. People also shouldn't underestimate how much cash we have at our disposal. And this year, it looks like we're actually going to spend lots of it.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I'm not saying we're going to get him or even try to, but I can seriously imagine us being in the mix. People also shouldn't underestimate how much cash we have at our disposal. And this year, it looks like we're actually going to spend lots of it.
Even so buying another CB would be insanity.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
:lol: Raiola not interested in money!
It’s not just about Raiola though, is it? Seemingly the player has made it clear that he only wants to join Barca.

Anyhow, I’m with you though. We should at least try. But then again, we don’t know what’s happening in the background. Every club/scout will know about De Ligt. So I’d assume almost every top club would be in for him, but in the end, the player will decide.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Even so buying another CB would be insanity.
Yes. I still think we might do it. I think we'll be playing with three CB's next year. So he'd fit. Pavard is nowhere near as good anyway.

ForestRGoinUp

Probably nothing. But fortunately for the sport, the players have a say in where they go and cannot just be shipped off to whomever offers the club the most money.

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23
Seemingly the player has made it clear that he only wants to join Barca.
Yeah, if we are only reading the crap catalan sources right? Pogba only wanted to join them too, remember?

My point is that the papers are really clueless. Back in the days when Özil joined Arsenal not a single paper was reporting on it only a day or two before the transfer was done and dusted.

De Ligt might very well join Barcelona, but nothing is certain.

crossy1686

career ending
Probably nothing. But fortunately for the sport, the players have a say in where they go and cannot just be shipped off to whomever offers the club the most money.
You're under estimating the pulling power of a massive contract. You're right, players have free will to go where ever they want, just like you do within your work field. Much like our work field's we go where we're paid the most and wanted the most. We may have dreams or desires to work somewhere specific, maybe even some of our friends work there but none of that matters when a company or football club really make you feel like they want you to be part of what they're doing, and show you that by offering you way more than their competitors.

ForestRGoinUp

You're under estimating the pulling power of a massive contract. You're right, players have free will to go where ever they want, just like you do within your work field. Much like our work field's we go where we're paid the most and wanted the most. We may have dreams or desires to work somewhere specific, maybe even some of our friends work there but none of that matters when a company or football club really make you feel like they want you to be part of what they're doing, and show you that by offering you way more than their competitors.
His wages would be relatively similar between Barca and United (maybe Bayern would suppress the wages a bit more). The money offered in transfer fees to line the pockets of owners and agents might be different, but his earnings won't be far off.

Barca have clearly laid the groundwork. Us coming in late and offering stupid money would tend to look desperate and lack genuine planning. Red flags.

Member 93275

Funnily that just happened with Frenkie. Barca thinking they were on a home run and not offering the highest contract. PSG showing him the love and Frenkie willing to sign. But in the end that just forced Barca to offer even more. Frenkie's agent played it better so far. But I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen again with De Ligt. That scenario also happened to United before, players just leveraging the interest to get a better offer from where they really want to go. He now gets more than Pogba.

NJM78

All of the top clubs in Europe have known about De Ligt since he was like 15. He is still at Ajax because Ajax were not ready to sell and De Ligt was not ready to leave.
Sorry didn't realise you knew this with such certainty. Maybe you should be our DOF.

Bojan11

If we just signed De Ligt and let’s say Sancho only, I would be delighted. Two players who’d slot in our first 11. Let’s sign quality rather than quantity this summer.

We need to sign players who are definitely going to walk into our starting 11. Not maybes like Fred.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Almost all big clubs have DoF, wonder why they didn't sign him 2 years ago?

Like @Keeps It tidy said, he was well know player but not all youngsters want to pack bags as soon as big clubs is in for them. There are many players who want to develop with first team before making a move.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Yeah, if we are only reading the crap catalan sources right? Pogba only wanted to join them too, remember?

My point is that the papers are really clueless. Back in the days when Özil joined Arsenal not a single paper was reporting on it only a day or two before the transfer was done and dusted.

De Ligt might very well join Barcelona, but nothing is certain.
Agreed with that, of course. Albeit a few Dutch papers (& posters on here) have also reported the same.

Either way, I was simply bringing the point across to a poster that “just throwing money at a transfer” isn’t really the only variable which decides where a player ends up.

Status
Not open for further replies.