Matthijs de Ligt / signs for Juventus, lowering their average age to 56

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Which should be the norm. You sign a contract, you respect its terms. That's also the best way to limit the crazy amounts of money spent on buying registrations nowadays.
That's actually pretty much the norm I don't know why people like to single PSG out. Ambitious clubs simply don't let their best players go unless they absolutely need to.

Even most lesser clubs refuse to sell their assets and quote unreasonable prices for their players that are certain to never be met.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
That's actually pretty much the norm I don't know why people like to single PSG out. Ambitious clubs simply don't let their best players go unless they absolutely need to.

Even most lesser clubs refuse to sell their assets and quote unreasonable prices for their players that are certain to never be met.
It's not the norm, valuable players rarely leave as free agents.

Member 93275

Tro
There could be a chance that the lad wants to be the best player he can be. Barca’s style most suits him but the EPL would be an immediate challenge both physically and mentally. Here we play hard games every week. I don’t think he’s as ambitious as he makes out. I think he’s more interested in social media and money. I hope he proves me wrong
Ha, you don't know the guy. He's extremely ambitious and continually working on himself on and off the pitch. He worked with Troy Douglas (former sprinter) to improve his speed. He reads all these books about defenders, mental strength and so on. Frenkie joked about him that while he is nineteen, when you hear him talk, he sounds like a pensioner and has a monopoly on wisdom, and should relax. He's a teenager with the most games for the Dutch team ever and the youngest Ajax captain ever. The manager said he did that because he's a true winner.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Tro

Ha, you don't know the guy. He's extremely ambitious and continually working on himself on and off the pitch. He worked with Troy Douglas (former sprinter) to improve his speed. He reads all these books about defenders, mental strength and so on. Frenkie joked about him that while he is nineteen, when you hear him talk, he sounds like a pensioner and has a monopoly on wisdom, and should relax. He's a teenager with the most games for the Dutch team ever and the youngest Ajax captain ever. The manager said he did that because he's a true winner.
Yes yes but he clearly isn't ambitious because if he was he would choose to come to Utd.

Or something..

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
It's not the norm, valuable players rarely leave as free agents.
The norm is that the top players don't switch sides because they're not allowed by their clubs. That used to be only for the richest clubs but now also applies to the likes of Napoli and Tottenham.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
The norm is that the top players don't switch sides because they're not allowed by their clubs. That used to be only for the richest clubs but now also applies to the likes of Napoli and Tottenham.
The norm is that big players tend to be happy at their big club and don't want to leave.

Having said that, we've just seen neymar, hazard and coutinho move

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
They were a big club but not a top club at the time he left, still a team on the up.
They were the 3rd or 4th richest club in the PL and top 8 in the world, and reached the CL final 5 months after he left

Not a top club though :lol:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
They were the 3rd or 4th richest club in the PL and top 8 in the world, and reached the CL final 5 months after he left

Not a top club though :lol:
That's not exactly what I meant though, they weren't viewed in the same vein as Barca when he left, their team wasn't seen as good. Currently their team has shown to be the best in Europe which is why I think they're a "top" club now, as opposed to when Coutinho left.

dove

That's not exactly what I meant though, they weren't viewed in the same vein as Barca when he left, their team wasn't seen as good. Currently their team has shown to be the best in Europe which is why I think they're a "top" club now, as opposed to when Coutinho left.
We were never seen in the same vein as Real Madrid for example but it doesn't mean we are not a top club.

arthurka

340k for a 19 year old.. I stopped reading there.
I don´t want a player coming here that has already made up his mind to follow the money and will be on the way out after a few years.
If he is going for 80m and will be paid 340k every week for the years he will play there will have a total cost around 170m.
That is prime player money not potentially prime player. And where will you go from there for his renewal 500k, 600k or more?

We will need to find these players sooner and cash in on that hype not the other way around.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
We were never seen in the same vein as Real Madrid for example but it doesn't mean we are not a top club.
I always take the top clubs to not only be big in terms of a commercial sense/financial sense but also be the best teams around. That's why I think "top" and "big" clubs are two different things, we're a big club but currently we're not a "top" one.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I don´t want a player coming here that has already made up his mind to follow the money and will be on the way out after a few years.
If he is going for 80m and will be paid 340k every week for the years he will play there will have a total cost around 170m.
That is prime player money not potentially prime player. And where will you go from there for his renewal 500k, 600k or more?

We will need to find these players sooner and cash in on that hype not the other way around.
He already is a prime player, the fact that he's only 19 does not change that. One of the best in the world in his position.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Why do people keep saying that? French league isn't as bad as Holland, come on.

He will get 100% playing time there, play alongside some of the best players in the world. He will be up against Mbappe, Neymar, Di Maria, Cavani, Draxler in training. Play alongside Marquinhos, Dani Alves, Thiago Silva. Got a very good, experienced manager in Tuchel who also has good record with youngsters. Has a realistic shot at CL as well.

Compare this at how he will develop at United - no footballing structure. Play alongside Jones, Smalling, Young in defence. Rookie manager with no record developing top players. No chance at CL, no chance at title bid.

Some people need a reality check.
Thank you, at this point it makes zero sense for any player of his caliber and potential to come to United save for money or some bizarre attachment to us while growing up. PSG blow us out of the water when it comes to money, plus they're much better equipped to win big prizes compared to us who is years off. Barcelona is a better bet than both but a) They're not gonna pay as much as PSG b) He'll have competition for his place there.

He'll end up at PSG, all links to us have dried up. I remember reading in this very thread that he rejected our proposal straightaway, think it was Bouhafsi team who wrote that article. Let's abandon this thread and camp in the... Maguire thread :(

Dolf

It's mind boggling. PSG first team average age is lot less than ours. They have constantly improved teenagers over the last years and often give a chance to youngsters. We play Ashley Young out of form instead of giving chance to youth product.

Moussa Diaby played 33 games last year and is 19 and raved about as the next big thing. We don't start Gomes, Garner and Laird in a dead rubber against Cardiff at home..
The Diaby they just sold?

arthurka

He already is a prime player, the fact that he's only 19 does not change that. One of the best in the world in his position.
I would like to point out that one good season doesnt make you a prime player, that comes from years of high standards.
Don´t get me wrong I think he will be great player, but he isn´t yet a prime player. It shows more the lack of great defenders in the game at the moment than anything else.

Enigma_87

You know who
Thank you, at this point it makes zero sense for any player of his caliber and potential to come to United save for money or some bizarre attachment to us while growing up. PSG blow us out of the water when it comes to money, plus they're much better equipped to win big prizes compared to us who is years off. Barcelona is a better bet than both but a) They're not gonna pay as much as PSG b) He'll have competition for his place there.

He'll end up at PSG, all links to us have dried up. I remember reading in this very thread that he rejected our proposal straightaway, think it was Bouhafsi team who wrote that article. Let's abandon this thread and camp in the... Maguire thread :(
Maguire isn't that bad IMO. He would improve us. I'd rather put our energy to more attainable players and get our business done earlier than the Ed panic buys come August.

The Diaby they just sold?
Yep. He'll be quality IMO for Leverkusen next year.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I would like to point out that one good season doesnt make you a prime player, that comes from years of high standards.
Don´t get me wrong I think he will be great player, but he isn´t yet a prime player. It shows more the lack of great defenders in the game at the moment than anything else.
I simply disagree with that. Same goes for Salah last season, Kane when he first came through - all the "one season wonder" and "needs to do it over a longer period of time to be considered a top player" is just bullshit for me, when I see a top player it's a top player regardless of how long he's been doing it. Unless you think he'll somehow play worse next season of course (spoiler: he won't).

By your logic, you could argue that Van Dijk is not a prime player because he's only been doing it on the highest level for 1,5 years when obviously he's one of the best defenders in the world, arguably the best.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

Leaving that prime player debate aside, I agree that a 19 year old on 340K is insane. And the worry is of course, when you renew, is that going to set some world record. Unless the whole football world sees a dramatic escalation in wages this could upset any club's wage structure and dressing room. The pressure the kid will be under, wherever he goes, will be enormous. Hopefully for him he shows everyone he's the best defender in the world for years to come.

What were Barca offering in wages?

Houdini

It seems that we are going to rely on what we have at CB posotopn which is bothering. We need one top class CB and sell the deadwood.

passing-wind

If you guys think that he will go to PSG and then move elsewhere your clearly mistaken.

Maybe you've missed Verrati's episode regarding the Barcelona desires, the struggle Neymar / Mbappe is going to face in coming seasons and how they've treated Rabiot who's essentially done nothing wrong contingent with running down his contract (benched for half the season).

PSG is a bad move for De Ligt's development, the reason they struggle in european competition is because they cannot consistently play at a high level domestically therefore they lack the mental aptitude needed to win a competition of that magnitude. Thiago Silva is a quality defender but is never mentioned in the same breath as Chiellini or Ramos because of his playing environment.

If De Ligt has aspirations to be the best he needs to play in a league where his talent is able to exemplify that.

arthurka

I simply disagree with that. Same goes for Salah last season, Kane when he first came through - all the "one season wonder" and "needs to do it over a longer period of time to be considered a top player" is just bullshit for me, when I see a top player it's a top player regardless of how long he's been doing it. Unless you think he'll somehow play worse next season of course (spoiler: he won't).

By your logic, you could argue that Van Dijk is not a prime player because he's only been doing it on the highest level for 1,5 years when obviously he's one of the best defenders in the world, arguably the best.
Again all of those players you just named had a upward trend in their playing career. Kane came through the rank at Tottenham and was and rightly so questioned in his first season, after the second season no one had any reason to doubt him, plus he was playing in the PL not the Eredivisie. Salah was never a 80m and 300k signing for Liverpool and not even Klopp could have imagined the way he took his position at Liverpool. VVD was close to that price but his wages aren´t remotely close to 300k and he had english tax written all over him, plus he already played in the PL for years so people knew his strength from playing in a strong league.

But we could do this all day, lets just agree to disagree.
Not saying you are wrong it´s just how I feel about this, I could be wrong on this.

Leaving that prime player debate aside, I agree that a 19 year old on 340K is insane. And the worry is of course, when you renew, is that going to set some world record. Unless the whole football world sees a dramatic escalation in wages this could upset any club's wage structure and dressing room. The pressure the kid will be under, wherever he goes, will be enormous. Hopefully for him he shows everyone he's the best defender in the world for years to come.

What were Barca offering in wages?
Wasn´t 12m quoted here a while back? Thats around 250k. So not poor mans rate by any means.

Cait Sith

If you guys think that he will go to PSG and then move elsewhere your clearly mistaken.
Exactly. Also PSG will offer him even more increased wages in 2 or 3 years and he'll renew with them. It's fan fiction that he'll let his contract run out, if he valued club over money he'd go to Barca in the first place. It's not as if Barca is paying peanuts anyway, highest wage bill in all sports institutions.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I have changed my mind on this no player should sign for a Ligue 1 club until this nonsense is over.

Member 93275

Uber Eats seems a logical sponsor for me for the target audience. You're watching a game, and want to order a pizza. Etc.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
How is PSG a good move for him? Zero competition to win games in a crap league. Fine if he wants to take the money but if he wants to improve and/or be challenged. On the other hand, this might be one of the final pieces in the PSG jigsaw. they might actually make it past the last 16 of the CL :lol:

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Uber Eats seems a logical sponsor for me for the target audience. You're watching a game, and want to order a pizza. Etc.
but to d they deliver snails and frog's legs? that may sound anti-french but both were on the menu in the two places I ate in paris recently and burgers/pizzas were not

Celoti23-81

Please tell me that is a piss take.
I have changed my mind on this no player should sign for a Ligue 1 club until this nonsense is over.

It's a ploy to get De Ligt and his family to PSG. That's why Riola was in Paris this week, for the launch or lunch, depends what spin you want to put on it!

SaintMuppet

This thread is still plodding on?

You guys must be bored...

Deluded?....

Both?....

I’m gonna settle on desperate. Can we sign someone good soon please even if it’s just a diversion for a few days?

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
This thread is still plodding on?

You guys must be bored...

Deluded?....

Both?....

I’m gonna settle on desperate. Can we sign someone good soon please even if it’s just a diversion for a few days?
How about De Ligt ? He seems like a proper baller.

Status
Not open for further replies.