Matthijs de Ligt / signs for Juventus, lowering their average age to 56

Status
Not open for further replies.

A-man

He already is a prime player, the fact that he's only 19 does not change that. One of the best in the world in his position.
There is very little to indicate that he will not turn in to a prime player. But for now, he hasn't been tested enough to say he is one of the best in the world.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
We were never seen in the same vein as Real Madrid for example but it doesn't mean we are not a top club.
I am not sure this is true. The landscape looked a lot different pre-Ronaldo move. Sure, Real had the most CLs, but most of those were won in the 60s.

However, they have cemented their place as the biggest club over the last decade.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
We have nor never have had a sniff of getting him. That said I’d be overjoyed to be wrong.
He rates the Premier League and rightly so and happens to be we're the only PL club that can offer him permanent place in the squad and probably captain's role.

red thru&thru

All these reports stating that we're not put off from slab heads asking price, might be our tactic on trying to negotiate lesser terms for MDL? Wishful thinking from my part more than anything.

jackal&hyde

All these reports stating that we're not put off from slab heads asking price, might be our tactic on trying to negotiate lesser terms for MDL? Wishful thinking from my part more than anything.
Could be. We might also be in for both. If we judged that we can't get Sancho now, then we might just go all in fixing the defense in one summer. De Ligt and Maguire in, Bailey and Roho out and we are set for years.

Zoo

De Ligt will NOT sign for Barcelona. It is not just an economic issue. De Ligt believes that he will grow more in another team.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I keep hearing the word “grow”... where else to make your name than with us? I really do think we’ve got a chance.

Let’s just hope he doesn’t the easy way at PSG

Gandalf

Diego Martinez is still standing 100% behind his claim that de Ligt is coming here. He has managed to amass 20k followers on twitter and depending on how this plays out he is either going to wind up with 200,000 in a couple of weeks or drop back down to 200.

His theory has always been that Ed and Raiola are doing the same dance they did with Pogba 3 years ago, playing up the idea of him going to other clubs, pushing conflicting media reports to generate as much publicity as possible before the stunning reveal that he has chosen Utd. I can't pretend to understand exactly what this would achieve other than Ed maybe getting to look like some stud for pulling off a coup against all the odds and I guess Raiola gets loads of publicity and noise which he seems to love.

Still think it is nonsense but it is entertaining nonsense.

jackal&hyde

His theory has always been that Ed and Raiola are doing the same dance they did with Pogba 3 years ago, playing up the idea of him going to other clubs, pushing conflicting media reports to generate as much publicity as possible before the stunning reveal that he has chosen Utd.
That's exactly what is happening. Create the impression that United doesn't stand a chance before making the announcement to generate a lot of hype in the media and lift the spirits of the fans before the season starts.

Silas

De Ligt will NOT sign for Barcelona. It is not just an economic issue. De Ligt believes that he will grow more in another team.
Tier 1 for Barca, for those wondering.

crossy1686

career ending
Diego Martinez is still standing 100% behind his claim that de Ligt is coming here. He has managed to amass 20k followers on twitter and depending on how this plays out he is either going to wind up with 200,000 in a couple of weeks or drop back down to 200.

His theory has always been that Ed and Raiola are doing the same dance they did with Pogba 3 years ago, playing up the idea of him going to other clubs, pushing conflicting media reports to generate as much publicity as possible before the stunning reveal that he has chosen Utd. I can't pretend to understand exactly what this would achieve other than Ed maybe getting to look like some stud for pulling off a coup against all the odds and I guess Raiola gets loads of publicity and noise which he seems to love.

Still think it is nonsense but it is entertaining nonsense.
Makes United look powerful and like ‘winners’. What’s the line used in Chernobyl?

“Our power comes from our perceived power”.

Propaganda at it’s best. Amazing stuff.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
This guy and his management team have been giving the run-around to Barca, PSG. ouselves and another couple of teams.

I'm sure he KNOWS where he's heading!

jackal&hyde

This guy and his management team have been giving the run-around to Barca, PSG. ouselves and another couple of teams.

I'm sure he KNOWS where he's heading!
It's almost like it's a marketing ploy put in place by his chosen club ;)

Infra-red

If you were De Ligt, who would you sign for?

I think I'd take 350k a week and live in Paris.
It's not the worst option, that's for sure.

I'd say that PSG under Tuchel, City under Guardiola and now, perhaps Juve under Sarri represent the best opportunities to develop as a young ball-playing CB (perhaps more so than Barca under Valverde). All three clubs are very stable and he'd be guaranteed domestic titles and Champions League football every season.

The danger of going to PSG, I suppose, is that if he views them as a stepping stone to joining Real/Barca later in his career, he might find it is not an easy club to extricate himself from.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I’m telling you he’s coming to us

MUPPETS ASSEMBLE
Obviously he's signing for us. One simply does not reject teams on basis of doubts over growth related reasons and then sign for PSG! We're the only team that can can check all the boxes he wants ticked.

The day this thread reaches its 555th page, is the day he shall sign for us!

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If you were De Ligt, who would you sign for?

I think I'd take 350k a week and live in Paris.
Barca.

The money at Paris would be nice but playing in the French league would be so much less than fulfilling. Plus I straight up don't like PSG.

United pay loads and are in a super competitive league but no CL football and being years away from challenging for major titles? Nah. Not exactly the nicest city in the world either. Might be tempting to park yourself there for a few lucrative years with the option of then moving on but there's too much risk of wasting time at a floundering club for my liking.

I suppose City offer a lot to but I dunno. It's still Man City.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Marquinhos is still a fantastic defender even though you personally do not care.
He sure is. He showed his tactical versatility too when he pocketed Pogba playing DM last season. Which was no mean feat.

I would love for us to sign him if we had the chance.

crossy1686

career ending
Barca.

The money at Paris would be nice but playing in the French league would be so much less than fulfilling. Plus I straight up don't like PSG.

United pay loads and are in a super competitive league but no CL football and being years away from challenging for major titles? Nah. Not exactly the nicest city in the world either. Might be tempting to park yourself there for a few lucrative years with the option of then moving on but there's too much risk of wasting time at a floundering club for my liking.

I suppose City offer a lot to but I dunno. It's still Man City.
Listen, some job offers you £220k a week, another offers you £350k a week. We all know which one you’re taking regardless of how you feel about a city or the team.

We believe that footballers care about football as much as we do, when in reality for most of them it’s just a job.

Cait Sith

Paris is one of the most overrated cities in Europe due to movies and the image of the Eiffel Tower and sexy little caffees. It's not much different from Cologne in Germany, except Cologne is probably cleaner and has fewer poverty districts.

crossy1686

career ending
Paris is one of the most overrated cities in Europe due to movies and the image of the Eiffel Tower and sexy little caffees. It's not much different from Cologne in Germany, except Cologne is probably cleaner and has fewer poverty districts.
Paris, and France in general is a bit shit. Probably helps massively if you speak french though because those feckers do not make any effort to converse in English.

Kag

PSG is a compete career-killer. Look at Neymar. Or Verrati. Even Thiago Silva back in his day. These players are, were or should be right at the top of the game, regarded as the best in their positions and competing for the top individual honours (in spite of how shallow they may be). They weren't and aren’t. Not fully.

A few Ligue 1 titles are guaranteed. A stab at the toughest competition in the business, yes, but no certainty to win it. But in terms of creating a legacy? There’s sod all there. Even Zlatan, who was a genuinely brilliant player, never really had the credit his talent may have merited. How could he? He spent his best years pratting about in France. A league that (in relative terms) nobody cares to watch.

I know many of you lot get stiff at the prospect of hammering the club you support (United). But there is still a romance about United. There’s still that opportunity to really live in the memory. And if that isn’t appealing, due to footballing circumstances surrounding the club, then go to Barcelona. An equally great club, influenced by the ideology of the club he’s rumoured to leave.

I always give people stick for forgetting that footballers are human beings, not robots. But feck me, go to Barcelona. Go to United. Go to Madrid, or Juventus. But don’t go to PS bloody G, for a few years of relative nothingness.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I actually think I'd rather see him sign for Liverpool or City over PSG.
The guy is clearly talented. Could walk into a most teams even at such a young age and become a first team player.

If he picks PSG, it just really says a lot about him.
Such a nothing league. You get trapped there.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I actually think I'd rather see him sign for Liverpool or City over PSG.
The guy is clearly talented. Could walk into a most teams even at such a young age and become a first team player.

If he picks PSG, it just really says a lot about him.
Such a nothing league. You get trapped there.
Worst take of 2019! Who cares if he wants to go to the Farmers league for unlimited money.

If he joins our rivals?!?! Crazy guy

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Worst take of 2019! Who cares if he wants to go to the Farmers league for unlimited money.

If he joins our rivals?!?! Crazy guy
It was sort of said in Jest.
I more just mean. I hope the lad shows some ambition.
He could easily start for a lot of clubs, it's not has if he'll have a better chance at PSG for whatever reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.