Matthijs de Ligt / signs for Juventus, lowering their average age to 56

Discussion in 'Transfer Forum' started by Suedesi, Jan 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan 24, 2019

Sparky Rhiwabon Full Member

Yeah, you’re right, most of the passes were 5 yard sideways passes to his CB partner and Fernandinho
  2. Jan 24, 2019

Ajaxsuarez Full Member

Supports:
    Ajax
    That's because he bizarrely is. If Mbappe can be one of the best forwards in the world at 19, why can't De Ligt be one of the best centrebacks?

Also his performance in the first game vs Bayern was immense:

his performance in the second was one of his weaker performances, as it was for a lot of the team (especially De Jong, who had the worst match of his career)
  3. Jan 24, 2019

Ajaxsuarez Full Member

Supports:
    Ajax
    Nonsense, Bergwijn has a lot more top-level quality than a Klaassen ever possessed. Bergwijn has technical quality and acceleration to make it to a much higher level.
  4. Jan 24, 2019

Ajaxsuarez Full Member

Supports:
    Ajax
    It's crazy that that generation in the Ajax academy had Nouri, Bergwijn, Van de Beek, Fosu-Mensah, Dilrosun, Mazraoui, Rosario, Sandler in the same U12-U14 team.

That's 5 Dutch internationals, a Moroccan international, a possibly future Dutch international (capped at least), and then the biggest talent of all who is tragically in a vegetative state for the rest of his life...

+ supplemented with De jong at a later (obviously) stage
  5. Jan 24, 2019

Harry190 Full Member

I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up at United. English teams are the one who value them more than others.
  6. Jan 24, 2019

UNITED ACADEMY Full Member

You are comparing an attacker with a centre back. A centre back is developed differently than an attacker. Instead of using an attacker, can you please name me an either current or ex centre back with their age that is on the same level as De Ligt’s current level?

Is his current level right now on the same level as Terry 25 years old? 25 years old Rio? Or may be 25 years old Ledley King.

I’m asking this just want to know how mature actually he is in the game because teenager tends to be inconsistent when they are playing, especially if they end up playing outside eredivise.
  7. Jan 24, 2019

Rauður Djöfull New Member

Sign him up, don't care what he costs, just get it done!

I was on the him or Koulibaly but feel like he has to be the way, with his class already and high ceiling, both will cost lot and if we are lucky and play the next few years right we might be looking at a longe term servant in a team with some great young talent, could mature into a really promising strong squad with just a few right signings, he is one of those
  8. Jan 24, 2019

Bwuk Full Member

Personally think he'd be arguably the best signing we could make this summer.

He's class.
  9. Jan 24, 2019

arthurka Full Member

Koulibaly should be our priority. We need a ready for action CB.
    We also need RW a RB and a CM .

Dont get where we will get 300m to buy all of them..
  10. Jan 24, 2019

Aloysius's Back 3 New Member

To be fair that is why de ligt is so highly rated. He at an early age is arguably defending like a defender would be doing a year or two away from their prime.

The fact that we can't give an answer to a player like him is nothing but a compliment. I'd say Varane when he was young is the only one I remember in recent times where he was arguably playing ready made football +-20% at such an early age.
  11. Jan 25, 2019

Bwuk Full Member

You reckon? I think this summer we actually will spend ridiculous amounts and back whoever the manager is. Club knows we are in a mess.
  12. Jan 25, 2019

Brightonian Full Member

If you offered me any transfer this summer this is the one I'd take. He's what De Gea was - an almost sure thing at a freakishly young age.
  13. Jan 25, 2019

Bergman New Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Think Barca is still the most likely destination. Long term replacement for Pique. If the assumption is that after paying for De Jong they wont have the money, they can easily offset that with sales of players like Malcom, Rakitic and Rafinha.
  14. Jan 25, 2019

Keeps It tidy Hates Messi

But, they still have the 4 other CBs.
  15. Jan 25, 2019

Suedesi Full Member

Good post!
  16. Jan 25, 2019

arthurka Full Member

I just don´t see it happen.
    We have never spent 300m in one transfer window, don´t see it happening myself.
  17. Jan 25, 2019

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

I still dont think him and Lindelof is a good pairing, I think if you get De Ligt you relegate Lindelof to 3rd choice and still need a partner for De Ligt
  18. Jan 25, 2019

NYAS Full Member

Correct. Koulibaly.
  19. Jan 25, 2019

amolbhatia50k Sneaky bum time

If he's genuinely as absurdly talented as people claim and a proper leader to boot, I think we should go nuts and throw the lot at it. Even if it takes 100 million. Getting in a figure like Terry/Rio/Vidic in today's market for possibly a decade (or another record sale) is absolutely worth in given players like Pulisic are worth 60.
  20. Jan 25, 2019

There has to be a limit though? They've signed Malcom, Coutinho, Vidal, Dembele, Lenglet, Arthur and De Jong in a very short space of time. And they're actually somewhat short on forwards - Messi, Suarez, Dembele, misfit Coutinho and .. Kevin Prince Boateng??

Their wages must be through the roof and apparently Rabiot will be joining too.

So I'm skeptical about the Barcelona links.
  21. Jan 25, 2019

No problem with that whatsoever. Lindelof still has to prove himself here anyway although he's been better of late.
  22. Jan 25, 2019

Surely we can manage a cheap deal here and there? Also every player doesn't cost 100 million anyway.
  23. Jan 25, 2019

That last tackle was quality.
  24. Jan 25, 2019

De Portago Full Member

Supports:
    Red Star
    If he really is that good and actually prefers signing there and continuing playing alongside De Jong they might pull out all the stops. I'm fairly certain Rakitić will be off in the summer, if Rabiot signs maybe another midfielder. Wouldn't be surprised to see Coutinho go too, especially if Valverde is retained for the next season.
  25. Jan 25, 2019

Zlatattack Full Member

He looks like the kind of talent we ought to remortgage for in order to sign.
  26. Jan 25, 2019

Keeps It tidy Hates Messi

They would still have too many CBs.
  27. Jan 25, 2019

De Portago Full Member

Supports:
    Red Star
    Vermaelen is off surely, Lenglet is a rotational option at best. God knows what's the long term prognosis for Umtiti's knee, you can hardly rely on him 100% especially considering it is a chronic condition.
  28. Jan 25, 2019

Revan Assumptionman

And if we sign both him and Koulibaly, we could easily sell 3 out of Rojo, Jones, Bailly, and Smalling, which would recuperate a lot of money both in fees and salaries.

It is hardly that we need many more players if we sign those two. A right back, a right-wing attacker (which could be financed from Sanchez/Lukaku sale) and maybe a midfielder if we decide that Fred is shit for good.

Koulibaly and him, with De Gea behind them would make our defense very strong. I would be happy with either of them anyway, and while Koulibaly is the better player, I would prefer de Ligt.
  29. Jan 25, 2019

mav_9me Full Member

Esp if it is 100m or so for either of them.
  30. Jan 25, 2019

Revan Assumptionman

I don't see De Ligt costing more than De Jong, so probably 70-80m (EUR) will do for him. Add another 100m for Koulibaly. That's in total around 150m pounds. We can get almost half of that by selling Rojo, Bailly, Jones and Darmian (+ the release in wages from selling them and letting Valencia go would more than cover Koulibaly's and De Ligt salaries). I don't think that it is going to happen especially with Lindeloff playing so good under Ole though, but it is nice to dream.
  31. Jan 25, 2019

Coxy Full Member

Me too. More about our values and buying the best youth again. It's a no brainer for me.
  32. Jan 25, 2019

We need an rvn Full Member

The way Woodie has been over the last few years I can easily see us missing out on this one due to how slowly we act at times in the transfer market.

Personally I think this kid is the real deal and we should be signing him up now, even if it means getting him in the summer like Barca have done with De Jong and Bayern with Pavard
  33. Jan 25, 2019

izec Full Member

Koulibaly and De Ligt would be the best CB pairing in world football, quite comfortably. With De Gea behind them, we would be back to almost Rio-Vidic and behind them VDS type of defensive core.

But it wont happen, it only will be one of them and knowing us, we will try for Koulibaly. Hope we also get him, i can see that dragging on the whole summer and then going for Toby Alderweireld as the budget option while De Ligt will be snapped up quickly by someone.
  34. Jan 25, 2019

arthurka Full Member

Do you really believe that.. De Ligt and Koulibaly will cost close to 200m, that leaves 100m for a RB,CM and a RW it´s not happening.
    At least I find it hard to believe.
  35. Jan 25, 2019

I don't believe we'll sign two CBs.

Also, you can sign players for 30-50 million. It does happen.
  36. Jan 25, 2019

Rio Vidic? I doubt those two will be that good even if we signed them.
  37. Jan 25, 2019

onemanarmy Full Member

Just read in the leading Belgian sport website (part of our national tv network) that de Ligt prefers Juventus. He'd be the successor of Chiellini. Would make sense tbh. I don't think we are the most attractive club for him at the moment, although the vibe has changed since Ole has come in.
  38. Jan 25, 2019

Aloysius's Back 3 New Member

Could

Lindelöf - Bailly - De ligt work?

I only ask because if we go for De ligt - then he is most suited to playing next to Bailly in my opinion. If we go for Koulibaliy then Lindelöf is the best partner for him.

Would playing all 3 work? What would be their weaknesses?

I think Bailly would be fantastic last gasp sweeper rather than the first point of defence. Let Lindelöf & De ligt be the cool heads that defend first as well as dictate our play from the back. Let Bailly be the rock stone guarding those two more so than guarding an attacker per se.
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  39. Jan 25, 2019

arthurka Full Member

Exactly. Three players for over a 100m isn´t far fetched at all. I also wrote earlier that I couldn´t see us spend 300m in one window we have never done it.
    So we really need to prioritize what we need there. A ready made one or someone that needs a bit of time?
    I think we will go for Koulibaly and that means missing out on De Ligt.
  40. Jan 25, 2019

izec Full Member

Close as we could get nowadays, of course not on that level.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.