Matthijs de Ligt / signs for Juventus, lowering their average age to 56

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
I've seen some terrible reporting over the years but this has to be the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. Mirror claiming we missed out on De Ligt because our scout Marcel Bout feared for weight problems based on his father being overweight.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/man-utd-missed-out-matthijs-15063828

They should be sued to death for this really, though I guess the standards of the media in Britain are so ridiculously low they will get away with publishing trash like this without any counter reaction.

The reality of course is A) that it was always De Ligt's plan to stay at Ajax and he's a down to earth kid who going by his interviews doesn't care about quick money or glory that much so he was never just going to leave that easily for a big club. And B) look at the fecking pictures. This is his 'obese' father in the middle.

And this is De Ligt, obviously struggling with his weight.

Chillosophy

^He looks to be struggling with clothing himself a la Balotelli vest-incident, do not want.

On a serious note, it is indeed ridiculous, shirked when I read it this morning. The Mirror is sort of a celebrity-gossip rag though right? Im not keeping track of british journalism, but I agree they should be ashamed nevertheless :nono:

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
We are not getting him. Realistically speaking, why would he join a Europa League club?

Did Jaap Stam signed for Liverpool back in 1998? Because like it or not, we are the new Liverpool of the 90s nowadays.

Patrick08

They should be sued to death for this really, though I guess the standards of the media in Britain are so ridiculously low they will get away with publishing trash like this without any counter reaction.
This has been going on since Woodward took over. Free mud slinging at the club without ever being countered. The club has become a joke.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Barca bound no? I still think Juve is his best bet for game time, young players need to be able to grow their game with plenty of football. Maybe City might swoop in with some crazy offer Ajax and Raiola cannot say no to.

We are not getting him. Realistically speaking, why would he join a Europa League club?

Did Jaap Stam signed for Liverpool back in 1998? Because like it or not, we are the new Liverpool of the 90s nowadays.
Definitely going to a CL club, Barca, City, RM, Juve.

kopviolator

Pogba and Zlatan signed for us in 2016 when we were in the Europa league. Imo it's not about that. It's about where this club is heading or where people believe we're heading. The club has made a fool out of themselves in recent years and probably has lost credibility in the football community when it comes to football matters. No-one believes we'll be seriously challenging in at least the next 3 years. I believe this is the most important when trying to attract young talents.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Pogba and Zlatan signed for us in 2016 when we were in the Europa league. Imo it's not about that. It's about where this club is heading or where people believe we're heading. The club has made a fool out of themselves in recent years and probably has lost credibility in the football community when it comes to football matters. No-one believes we'll be seriously challenging in at least the next 3 years. I believe this is the most important when trying to attract young talents.
Yeah, the way I see it, that first Europa stint could have been a blip. But now, from the outside, it looks more like this is our level nowadays.

We are rebuilding, but no way we are doing that by buying De Ligt.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I've seen some terrible reporting over the years but this has to be the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. Mirror claiming we missed out on De Ligt because our scout Marcel Bout feared for weight problems based on his father being overweight.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/man-utd-missed-out-matthijs-15063828

The reality of course is A) that it was always De Ligt's plan to stay at Ajax and he's a down to earth kid who going by his interviews doesn't care about quick money or glory that much so he was never just going to leave that easily for a big club. And B) look at the fecking pictures. This is his 'obese' father in the middle.

To be fair, his cheeks remind me of Luke Shaw's titties.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
not sure if this has been posted but the Mirror saying:
  • Manchester United missed out on the chance to sign Matthijs de Ligt - because they were told he would become too fat.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Barca bound no? I still think Juve is his best bet for game time, young players need to be able to grow their game with plenty of football. Maybe City might swoop in with some crazy offer Ajax and Raiola cannot say no to.

Definitely going to a CL club, Barca, City, RM, Juve.
Didn’t VDS say it would be between England and Spain?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
not sure if this has been posted but the Mirror saying:
  • Manchester United missed out on the chance to sign Matthijs de Ligt - because they were told he would become too fat.
No that’s definitely not been posted further up the page. Thanks for sharing it

Andersons Dietician

Bigger question, is that his little brother and sister and if so are they any good? And can we pick them up for a decent fee.

Dante

Average bang
Obvious bullshit story.

Maybe Woodward has read The Game and is negging De Ligt to get him to sign.

kopviolator

Yeah, the way I see it, that first Europa stint could have been a blip. But now, from the outside, it looks more like this is our level nowadays.

We are rebuilding, but no way we are doing that by buying De Ligt.
I agree, It's unlikely. But in general, these sort of targets have to be approached with some vision and plan in mind. It's hard to attract prospects only with the brand name these days and they can get the money elsewhere. There should be an ambitious plan put forward and they should be invited to participate. Who knows what happening within the club but in all honesty I'm not optimistic.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Been said many times - Raiola is NOT his agent.
But then why do all the stories say in the Spanish press that the only reason Barca haven’t agreed a deal yet is because of raiola’s fee? He’s clearly involved somehow

Member 101269

Misinformation; who would have thought such tactics might be used in transfer battles.

Sterling Archer

Obvious bullshit story.

Maybe Woodward has read The Game and is negging De Ligt to get him to sign.
Reminded me of The Game Changers. Documentary about vegan athletes being better for it. James Wilks is one. Highly recommend it.

If this club were so clairvoyant about this weight and health issue they'd follow Forest Green Rovers FC and push plant based eating and not worry about genetics.

But they're not.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I've seen some terrible reporting over the years but this has to be the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.

...And B) look at the fecking pictures. This is his 'obese' father in the middle.

In America we'd have a mother and father of 3 arrested for looking so healthy and their son appearing calorie deficient.

Pav1878

This thread is a joke.

Jesus Christ, he's never coming to us, whether we called him fat or not.

Get over it and move on

Foxbatt

We did sign Anderson too and his father was thin. Whats this world coming to? I do not care if he is fat and bald when he is 35 years old. If this is true then the lunatics have taken over the asylum. I think it is not the Glazers but Woodward who needs to go. We need to replace half the team and no amount of managerial changes it going to make us better with this lot and Woodward in charge.

Jibbs

What's next... I think if the same United scouting team were present in 2004/5, they would have called messi too short and light weight too.

Status
Not open for further replies.