Mauricio Amadaeus Pochettino | Chelsea sack watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

MU655

Weird to go back to a manager you sacked a season and a half ago. I'm not even sure he would be that interested in going back with the state Tottenham are in.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
So Spurs fecked themselves with Jose and once they're done with that they hire Pochettino back. Good plan.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I'm struggling to see how Kane leaves this summer to be honest.

Think Kane has his eyes on the all time PL top scorer. There's only one club which guarantees big trophies in England at the moment and while their spending is humongous, they have never spent the sums that would be needed to get Kane and most of their big purchases to date have been on younger players?

Covid has come at the wrong time for him imo.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I doubt that. The problem is Levy are his penny pinching ways, bringing Poch back won’t move the needle for Kane. Poch is likely Levy’s last ditch effort in convincing Kane to stay but he will leave anyways, and Poch will be given the reigns to rebuild the squad.
Originally I thought the same, but now think he’ll still want to go. Also think Levy/Poch would need the Kane sale money to help rebuild the squad.
Believe me I am under no illusion Kane wants to go, I just don't see why Poch would come without Kane staying at least for a season till het gets time to sort the squad. I am not saying that Poch will convince Kane to stay I am more saying the only way Poch will come back is if Kane stays.... :houllier:, that makes sense right?

MU655

I'm struggling to see how Kane leaves this summer to be honest.

Think Kane has his eyes on the all time PL top scorer. There's only one club which guarantees big trophies in England at the moment and while their spending is humongous, they have never spent the sums that would be needed to get Kane and most of their big purchases to date have been on younger players?

Covid has come at the wrong time for him imo.
I would say the difference this season is that City have one big gap in their team: striker. With Aguero leaving and there being no other signings needed, I wouldn't be surprised if they put it all into signing Kane. They may very well have Champion's League winning money on top of that.

The have both the finances and the needs for this to happen, despite covid. I think it might happen.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Back on the market apparently. Id still take him over Ole if I had the chance. Sadly it won't happen though.
Not much would be different with Pochettino. After failing to win anything with Spurs and a track record of tossing aside other cup competitions, he then failed to win the french league and got hammered by City in the CL. Both Ole and Poch have a track record of losing at this point, and its been about 4 years since Pochettino really "exceeded" expectations in any way in a single season. Since 16/17, he hasn't really done anything impressive. So I don't see anything with him that would lead us to believe he'd give us something different.

Giggsy13

Believe me I am under no illusion Kane wants to go, I just don't see why Poch would come without Kane staying at least for a season till het gets time to sort the squad. I am not saying that Poch will convince Kane to stay I am more saying the only way Poch will come back is if Kane stays.... :houllier:, that makes sense right?
If I was in your shoes I’d want to believe it too! Obviously losing Kane is a massive blow, but don’t you think with the funds raised, the club could address multiple holes in the squad? There are good players that could be bought with a boost in your budget of £120 million.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Not much would be different with Pochettino. After failing to win anything with Spurs and a track record of tossing aside other cup competitions, he then failed to win the french league and got hammered by City in the CL. Both Ole and Poch have a track record of losing at this point, and its been about 4 years since Pochettino really "exceeded" expectations in any way in a single season. Since 16/17, he hasn't really done anything impressive. So I don't see anything with him that would lead us to believe he'd give us something different.
This has been my basic contention all along. Good coach but not a great coach. Not sure what we'd get from starting the process of rebuilding from scratch under someone who's never built a winning team. If we're just getting rid of Ole to get in someone who also finishes in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd loser spot, but plays marginally better football, I don't think its worth it.

Its one thing if you're talking about a Guardiola or Klopp level coach but Poch aint that.

bosnian_red

This has been my basic contention all along. Good coach but not a great coach. Not sure what we'd get from starting the process of rebuilding from scratch under someone who's never built a winning team. If we're just getting rid of Ole to get in someone who also finishes in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd loser spot, but plays marginally better football, I don't think its worth it.

Its one thing if you're talking about a Guardiola or Klopp level coach but Poch aint that.
Yup. It's one thing getting him at the start of a rebuilding process. Ole was a good appointment at the time and has done a decent job, he stabilized us and brought us to the point where we are "close". We don't need more transitioning though. We need those final few signings and then continual refreshing to maintain a top squad, but we also need the management team capable of coaching a side to get over the line. Close isn't good enough anymore.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He literally got to a Champions League final with Tottenham fecking Hotspur, after signing nobody that season. Harry Winks & Moussa Sissoko were his starting midfielders for crying out loud.

keithsingleton

I'm still of the opinion Poch did well considering he had little to work with at Spurs. I like his style of football that would suit United. The thing is there's not much out there that's available at the moment but I'd even consider Brendon Rogers too.

I hate saying it but I still think Poch & Brendon currently better than Ole even though he's improved ( slightly ) over the last few months. I still can't handle listening to Ole in interviews though. I don't really go with this second language stuff as he still sounds like he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Wilt

Get what you’re saying but I just don’t see it happening, he’s set his stall out now and he wants trophies. Of course if there are no takers then that’s a different matter...

el3mel

I don't get it. Did they sack him or does he just want to return to Spurs? Because if it's the latter then he's a fecking idiot and I have honestly no more respect for him.

el3mel

No way Poch goes back to Spurs without being given assurances he'll be given money to spend. Could be a good summer coming up for Spurs
Same said about Mourinho and they still didn't spend shit, just got players on loans and stuff. Levy aren't spending.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
He Shouldn’t come back to Spurs. Even though he has an amazing record there, Spurs are not a big club. He won’t be managing top players there. However, if levy promises Poch that he will spend like the big club, then it is an opportunity that would be hard to refuse. It would be funny though that we miss out on poch again if the opportunity rises. It will be like we haven’t learned any lesson since ferguson retired.

he should at least stay at psg more season to grasp what a big club mentality is.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
He Shouldn’t come back to Spurs. Even though he has an amazing record there, Spurs are not a big club. He won’t be managing top players there. However, if levy promises Poch that he will spend like the big club, then it is an opportunity that would be hard to refuse. It would be funny though that we miss out on poch again if the opportunity raises. It will be like we haven’t learned any lesson since ferguson retired.
You’re back! Poch news/a bad night for Ole will always bring you home. Welcome back Poch!

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
If the rumors are legit and he truly walks I guess this is rather some lame bs to keep his reputation "intact" so he rather leaves on his own terms to his old club that made him famous instead of getting the boot to make place for Zizou or even Conte.

They should fire Leonardo as well while they're at it tbh.

cjj

Supports
Spurs
Same said about Mourinho and they still didn't spend shit, just got players on loans and stuff. Levy aren't spending.
True. Except for the fact that over £100m was spent (net) in Mourinho's 18 months.

Almost all of it during the pandemic. With no major income.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
If I was in your shoes I’d want to believe it too! Obviously losing Kane is a massive blow, but don’t you think with the funds raised, the club could address multiple holes in the squad? There are good players that could be bought with a boost in your budget of £120 million.
Il be honest I have no fecking idea what's going on :lol:

el3mel

True. Except for the fact that over £100m was spent (net) in Mourinho's 18 months.

100m isn't really a high spending force these days. If we spend such net spend we will consider it shit. Didn't Poch have problems with Levy despite him paying 60m for Ndombele?

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman

Great idea to give Mourinho a transfer budget. That worked out well didn’t it. :lol:. Now any attackkin manager will have to rid spurs of Mourinho dna. At least levy sacked him somewhat fast before he could do lasting damage to your club. However, with Kane and other of their top players wanting out, maybe the damage has already been done.

el3mel

There's just absolutely no reason for Poch to go one step back to Spurs after you have already taken step forward and managed a big club.

It screams lack of ambition and just wanting a safe job he knows he will be loved there regardless.

I will never respect him again if he takes such step.

bosnian_red

He literally got to a Champions League final with Tottenham fecking Hotspur, after signing nobody that season. Harry Winks & Moussa Sissoko were his starting midfielders for crying out loud.
Di Matteo won the CL... Spurs fluked the CL run that year, they were shite in the league that year and didn't lay a glove on Liverpool in the final. He's a good transition manager like Ole has proved. He's not the last step manager.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
There's just absolutely no reason for Poch to go one step back to Spurs after you have already taken step forward and managed a big club.

It screams lack of ambition and just wanting a safe job he knows he will be loved there regardless.

I will never respect him again if he takes suhh step.
Let's say Zidane or Conte would consider the job and PSG would be willing to sack Poch after half a season already to get one of them - I personally wouldn't doubt that one sec. What would you do if you were Pochettino? It's not like other elite clubs are going to sack their managers to get Poch on board.

Poch didn't set the world on fire in those 5 months and the nearer the World Cup comes the more willing the Qataris will be to do everything possible to get into the limelight just before. Be it by signing Messi (doubt it) or be it to sign Zizou and Ramos (or whoever) to actually keep their spoilt AAA players in check and finally make some relevant news in the sports world.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Wait, is this source good?

As if I needed another reason to hate PSG. Imagine being so toxic that a seemingly nice guy like Pochettino escapes after just 6 months. And not only that: to the current Spurs circus! :lol:
He is very closely connected to Spurs yes, rarely posts BS.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Let's say Zidane or Conte would consider the job and PSG would be willing to sack Poch after half a season already to get one of them - I personally wouldn't doubt that one sec. What would you do if you were Pochettino? It's not like other elite clubs are going to sack their managers to get Poch on board.

Poch didn't set the world on fire in those 5 months and the nearer the World Cup comes the more willing the Qataris will be to do everything possible to get into the limelight just before. Be it by signing Messi (doubt it) or be it to sign Zizou and Ramos (or whoever) to actually keep their spoilt AAA players in check and finally make some relevant news in the sports world.
Poch's contract is only up until next Summer.

mu4c_20le

I will never respect him again if he takes such step.
:lol: Look at it from his perspective. His PSG job is hanging by a thread, there's no top offers around, and it can only get worse if he gets sacked next season and Spurs already appointed someone else. It could mean a long sabbatical. Nothing wrong with returning to comfortable surroundings and building himself up again.

el3mel

I will take a break and wait for a better job than Tottenham fecking Hotspurs. There's no ambition in returning to Spurs after you have already moved on from them to a bigger club.

el3mel

Lo Celso, Reguilon, Doherty, Hojbjerg, Rodon, Vinicius and Bale (wages for his loan) but they didn't spend under Mourinho?
Pretty much most of these cost nothing more than 30m and are all 2nd tier players bar Bale whom Madrid are wanting to get rid because he was past it. Vinicius was also on loan. Are you telling me this is the spending force Poch are returning to Spurs for? To sign the likes of Doherty and Hojbjerg after he managed Neymar and Mbappe? It's a stupid move.

pascell

Pretty much most of these cost nothing more than 30m and are all 2nd tier players bar Bale whom Madrid are wanting to get rid because he was past it. Vinicius was also on loan. Are you telling me this is the spending force Poch are returning to Spurs for? To sign the likes of Doherty and Hojbjerg after he managed Neymar and Mbappe? It's a stupid move.
It came to around £100m of spending, which isn't bad, it was just spent on second tier players, the summer before they spent £60m on Ndombele. Maybe he misses the club, culture of London etc, who knows but it would be a stupid move for him.

el3mel

It came to around £100m of spending, which isn't bad, it was just spent on second tier players, the summer before they spent £60m on Ndombele. Maybe he misses the club, culture of London etc, who knows but it would be a stupid move for him.
But Poch had problems with Levy's spending even when he signed Ndombele for 60m. It's clear that back then he thought the board wasn't supporting him enough and not with the right kind of players. I see no reason why he will think things will be different now.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I will take a break and wait for a better job than Tottenham fecking Hotspurs. There's no ambition in returning to Spurs after you have already moved on from them to a bigger club.
I mostly agree apart for your "Tottenham fecking Hotspurs" bit, I don't see why he would return now, but there was no hiding the fact he and his close friend Perez (only 3 months ago) said "we will be back at Spurs for sure".

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Sure, but he just came from a break - and this could be another longish one too. He's no Zidane who won it all and can sit back at will and still keep interest high.
I'm not saying it's a no-brainer to go back to spurs, heck maybe he stays next season at PSG or even extents the contract for all we know - or his management tries to stir up some interest by other clubs, but sometimes it's better to start building your own young n hungy team that follows you instead of going to another b-tier club (because let's face it he likely won't get appointed by Real Madrid or Juve or the likes anytime soon). And that sort of rebuilding is obviously easier within a club you already know inside out. PSG is as big as it could gets for him atm and it didn't look like he truly got them rolling to their potential - not saying that can't change come next season btw - but that's how it looks right now from the outside IMO.

Poch's contract is only up until next Summer.
So? It'd still be really early to sack him after appointing him when, start of January? They could also extent the contract if they'd think the work he's done is warranting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.