Mauricio Amadaeus Pochettino | Chelsea sack watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I was merely trying to set out the parameters, because I would say Alli's decline is largely to do with Alli, so whilst he did well to set up a system that worked for Alli at the time, he didn't exactly set it up to last for very long so where does the buck stop?

And yes he was, Sherwood brought him into the side at the end of the season and next season Kane scored 30+ goals.

I'm interested to hear what your characterisation of Poch's style is, because for me, it's a formation cented around a back 3 with wingbacks, high pressure and fast transisitions - ie counters. Doesn't sound particularly disimilar to a hell of a lot of managers out there and a lot of them haven't really be graced to have Eriksen, an Alli at his pomp, Kane, Son and others in - yet he won nothing with it.
Kane made a grand total of 10 league appearances the year before Poch arrived at Spurs scoring a grand total of 4 goals

Poch's style wasn't with a back 3 either, it was a back 4 which pushed up high, creating a compactness allowing for a high press. It's the same as what most teams do now expect Poch was one of the first in the league to do it back in his Southampton days

The fact you don't know anything about what Kane was doing before Poch or his preferred formation it's little wonder you don't know what his style is

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Kane made a grand total of 10 league appearances the year before Poch arrived at Spurs scoring a grand total of 4 goals

Poch's style wasn't with a back 3 either, it was a back 4 which pushed up high, creating a compactness allowing for a high press. It's the same as what most teams do now expect Poch was one of the first in the league to do it back in his Southampton days

The fact you don't know anything about what Kane was doing before Poch or his preferred formation it's little wonder you don't know what his style is
Exactly, you now see what a lot of critics on here of Pochettino truly know about Pochettino. Not much. When I read back 3... I stopped reading then. They just post to create repartee. If you continue, they will drag you into pointless debate and it is not worth it.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

You were the one saying he was in the reserves, which he demonstrably wasn't.

It was written as a 4-2-3-1, with Dier or Waynama basically dropping in as the FBs pushed up attacking and defending, so I hardly see the difference. He did the same in his southampton days as well, hence why he bought Wanyama over. All you've said is he has a high press, you've not really said anything that distinguishes him from Hassenhuttl, Potter, Arteta, Rodgers, Franke, Farke, Bielsa. They all do that. I'm just genuinely trying to find anything different from those guys and I'm actually looking for a discussion on this, because I don't see what he would bring to our team that's any different from what, say, Potter is doing.

I don't think he's particularly flexible in his tactics over his time at Spurs, I think he's had some of the most talented players most managers would dream of having and has very little to show for it.

Last edited:

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
Exactly, you now see what a lot of critics on here of Pochettino truly know about Pochettino. Not much. When I read back 3... I stopped reading then. They just post to create repartee. If you continue, they will drag you into pointless debate and it is not worth it.
Since there’s a moderate chance we’ll end up appointing Poch, we can all only hope that you’re right. Heaven help us all.

KeanoMagicHat

I’m convinced he’s a good coach and is a good manager judging by his stints at Soton and Spurs but what the PSG fans have been posting about him has got me worried. I just hope that Paris is perhaps the wrong club or fit for him
PSG is completely the wrong fit for him. Poch is a high press coach with players that won’t press. PSG are horribly unbalanced, they’re barely a team, who they have are headcases and just hope to win by individual brilliance.

Pochettino would be by far the best manager we’ve had since Ferguson on current managerial ability (Mourinho and Van Gaal were once great coaches but not when United got them).

antk

His PSG across last and current season is the weakest the club has been this last decade. Their insane luck this year is poised to end sooner rather than later, as they can't keep winning games at the last minutes through dubious penalty calls the whole season, and then they'll be open to a full-blown humiliation ala MU - Liverpool.

There was some semblance of hope last year, most notably Barcelona away, the Bayern tie and the first half of City home, where they played some tremendous football, but this year they've struggled against almost all teams they've played (for the record I must have missed 3 of their games at most this year).

They shouldn't be playing for a draw at Marseille and come out of it relieved but that's where they're at right now.

charlenefan

You were the one saying he was in the reserves, which he demonstrably wasn't.

It was written as a 4-2-3-1, with Dier or Waynama basically dropping in as the FBs pushed up attacking and defending, so I hardly see the difference. He did the same in his southampton days as well, hence why he bought Wanyama over. All you've said is he has a high press, you've not really said anything that distinguishes him from Hassenhuttl, Potter, Arteta, Rodgers, Franke, Farke, Bielsa. They all do that. I'm just genuinely trying to find anything different from those guys and I'm actually looking for a discussion on this, because I don't see what he would bring to our team that's any different from what, say, Potter is doing.

I don't think he's particularly flexible in his tactics over his time at Spurs, I think he's had some of the most talented players most managers would dream of having and has very little to show for it.
well if that's what you're asking now then it's different to what you started by saying which was downplaying everything he did at Spurs

you now also seem to be using the fact that a lot of managers adopt a style Poch brought in years prior as a stick to beat him with?

I'm not even massively pro Poch but your arguments against him are ridiculous

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
PSG is completely the wrong fit for him. Poch is a high press coach with players that won’t press. PSG are horribly unbalanced, they’re barely a team, who they have are headcases and just hope to win by individual brilliance.

Pochettino would be by far the best manager we’ve had since Ferguson on current managerial ability (Mourinho and Van Gaal were once great coaches but not when United got them).
I have heard everyone and their granny say this, how the feck are they unbalanced? They have players who can play in natural positions is Neymar left, Messi as a 10 and Di Maria as a right, but as he is stubborn he wont do it. Please tell me how they are unbalanced? Have you seen the rest of Ligue 1?

charlenefan

Tunchel was far from failed at PSG, it was his lack of Champions League success that got him the sack, I rate Poch highly and like him A LOT but he has major flaws which some people fail to acknowledge.
well unless Poch gets the sack before the end of the season I don't see what either man has done that tops the other? They'll both of won league titles and likely neither will have won the UCL (I guess Tuchel does have getting to the final as a plus)

siw2007

We missed the boat somewhat on him last season before we beat Everton at Goodison. However, I do believe the club highly regard him and if we decide that we want to change from Ole, then this is the guy we will want.

He has a long contract at PSG and will probs win the title there. But I don’t think it’s beyond the realms of possibility that he might become available. PSG are a very difficult team to manage, I don’t see anyway he can mould this team to his liking and will ultimately meet the same fate that Tuchel met. If the PSG board start to have doubts in the summer then they might be enticed by the possibility of letting him go without a big payout for sacking him.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
well unless Poch gets the sack before the end of the season I don't see what either man has done that tops the other? They'll both of won league titles and likely neither will have won the UCL (I guess Tuchel does have getting to the final as a plus)
I think Tuchel is on record as saying the biggest problems he had was managing the social aspect of the PSG squad, egos and private lifes. Poch seems already to he annoyed Messi, again I like Poch and think he could do a job at United but he's a stubborn bastard, he had major favourites in his squad with us. Like you say I dont think he will leave PSG midseason, and I am surprised we seem to have a free run at Conte as long as Levy doesn't feck it up.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Like you say I dont think he will leave PSG midseason, and I am surprised we seem to have a free run at Conte as long as Levy doesn't feck it up.
Why are you surprised? What other clubs are looking for a new manager except for Barca who aren't considering him?

KeanoMagicHat

I have heard everyone and their granny say this, how the feck are they unbalanced? They have players who can play in natural positions is Neymar left, Messi as a 10 and Di Maria as a right, but as he is stubborn he wont do it. Please tell me how they are unbalanced? Have you seen the rest of Ligue 1?
Yes and he’s winning the league by 8 points already and won 12 of his 15 games this season?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Yes and he’s winning the league by 8 points already and won 12 of his 15 games this season?
He MUST win everything possible in France this year to cancel out the failure to win the title last season.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Tunchel was far from a failure at PSG, it was his lack of Champions League success that got him the sack, I rate Poch highly and like him A LOT but he has major flaws which some people fail to acknowledge.
No it's not, it's his relationship with Leonardo that got him the sack and he also had no intention to extend his contract which only had 6 months left.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
What exactly would you call not winning the league with PSG as?
I would call it a lazy and premature evaluation given he took over after Tuchel only managed 3 wins in December and was off the boil in the league.

If Poch cant deliver a title in his first full season with PSG then sure, go nuts.

Sviken

I would call it a lazy and premature evaluation given he took over after Tuchel only managed 3 wins in December and was off the boil in the league.

If Poch cant deliver a title in his first full season with PSG then sure, go nuts.
Didn't Tuchel leave them in first place? Even further, this season, despite the results, Tuchel has not impressed one bit. He's basically an improved version of Ole in how he has his team playing.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
You do realize that you sometimes have to defend in football, like when the other team gets the ball? Any team who successfully plays with a front 4 has players with a high workrate. It's not even remotely the case for Messi/MBappé/Neymar/Di Maria. The fact that Neymar is the one defending the most tells you plenty.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Didn't Tuchel leave them in first place? Even further, this season, despite the results, Tuchel has not impressed one bit. He's basically an improved version of Ole in how he has his team playing.
I would give my right arm to have a similarly unimpressive team to cheer on.

FatTails

Can someone smarter than I am tell me why we didn’t hire this guy when he was out of a job between Nov 2019 and Jan 2021? We seem to be long term admirers. We clearly admired him based on his work at Southampton and Spurs, not PSG where he hasn’t pulled trees yet.

We were literally 9th in the table when he got sacked at Spurs and had started the season poorly. We then had several chances to make the change after that during periods of bad form.

Now he’s at PSG and we suddenly realize that he is the only manager in world football who can do the job at United.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
No, they were third.

KeanoMagicHat

Ridiculous, not impressed one bit? 25 points out of 30 straight after winning the Champions League.

Winrar

Can someone smarter than I am tell me why we didn’t hire this guy when he was out of a job between Nov 2019 and Jan 2021? We seem to be long term admirers. We clearly admired him based on his work at Southampton and Spurs, not PSG where he hasn’t pulled trees yet.

We were literally 9th in the table when he got sacked at Spurs and had started the season poorly. We then had several chances to make the change after that during periods of bad form.

Now he’s at PSG and we suddenly realize that he is the only manager in world football who can do the job at United.
Judging by us letting go of Conte in favor of giving Ole "3 more games to prove himself" that's not surprising at all.

Quite frankly I don't ever want to hear the club say "this person was not available when we wanted him" as an excuse for being unable to get any manager.

Am I crazy to expect billionaires to make smarter executive decisions?

Highfather_24

Folks posting cope about Pochetino saying his PSG squad is unbalanced, its not made for high press, and that Messi's workrate makes it difficult. But he will be facing the same problems at Utd, with much higher competition.

Issa no from dawg.

AndyMUFC

I mean he'll become available at some point in the near future. Nobody will last too long at PSG without winning the UCL.

If the club genuinely want him then I mean I guess it is a better strategy than just firing the current one and bringing in the first person who is available.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
That's a VERY naive take. Messi and Ronaldo at their prime could pretty much do whatever they wanted, even Neymar when he was in spain (his sister's birthday, carnival in brazil etc. all of that originated when he was at Barcelona). Cristiano left the stadium at Juventus before the end of a game after he was subbed without any repercussion, Bayern player's got Ancelotti fired etc. In most clubs, players have too much power.

Also, Tuchel never said such thing. He said PSG was hard to manage because he had to manage more than football (including some player's entourage).
But in all of those examples the players aren’t there anymore? For two of the examples (Messi, Neymar) they’re at PSG right now. I honestly don’t think there’s another club in Europe right now with those kinds of personalities, at least not throughout the team rather than the odd one or two.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I don’t get the continued love fest for Poch
It is bizarre being on the outside looking in. A very large club with a history of winning and a good many of their fans enamored over an average manager that has not really accomplished anything. Came close, but could not follow it with anything.

BorisManUtd

I'm not sure if we've got players for pressing game either. Thing is he wanted Bruno and van de Beek when he was at Spurs so his appointment would be good in that sense. I rate him highly for what he's done at Southampton and Spurs but hope there are people in our board that analyze every aspect when thinking of hiring next manager, because clearly according to PSG fans here he's been underperforming, not results wise but more performances wise. If we're to wait until May to bring a new manager in then they better do a proper research of potential candidates and then make a decision. Not take Pochettino because we've liked him as a club for few years now and solely because of the way he led Tottenham.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Not really. Both Martial FC and Pogba FC continue to blame others.
The existence of these ‘fanbases’ baffles me. Especially ‘Martial FC.’ At least Pogba is a monster at international level and was tremendous at Juve.

Status
Not open for further replies.