Mauricio Amadaeus Pochettino | Chelsea sack watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
PSG don't have the team to win the CL at all. I'd say we're better equipped then them and we won't win it either.
The team managed to reach the CL final and semi final in the past 2 years, and it was inferior on paper because we added Hakimi, Wijnaldum, Ramos, Nuno Mendes and Messi. Are we favourite for the CL title? No, but with a proper coaching and strong choices, it's not as unlikely as imagining United winning it.

I think that this sort of starting XI is clearly superior (at least on paper) to anything United can offer :

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
The team managed to reach the CL final and semi final in the past 2 years, and it was inferior on paper because we added Hakimi, Wijnaldum, Ramos, Nuno Mendes and Messi. Are we favourite for the CL title? No, but with a proper coaching and strong choices, it's not as unlikely as imagining United winning it.

I think that this sort of starting XI is clearly superior (at least on paper) to anything United can offer :
I predicted that PSG would win the CL this season and I’m sticking with that. But now I’m wondering if they need a new manager to ensure that victory.

lloyd2wayne

@Oly Francis , @Santoryo , @bond19821982 , and the rest, are you guys doing ok? You will learn, who Amadaeus is shortly and will become like the rest I have gone through in this forum.

Pochettino once again with a very good win. psg seem to play better with an out and out number 9. Psg, should have had 4 goals today if their striker was more clinical. Pochettino made the right judgement call to sub Messi. Some manager would have played him through his injury, but Pochettino knew better and made the right tactical sub.
Ewwww. Weirdo

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I predicted that PSG would win the CL this season and I’m sticking with that. But now I’m wondering if they need a new manager to ensure that victory.
A lot of PSG fans active online share your sceptism. I am not convinced by Poch as far as I'm concerned.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG

I also believe a system with 3 central defenders is the way to go because we know Messi/Neymar/Mbapp as a unit is limited in terms of defensive contribution.

In your tactical setup, I don't see Verratti/Wijnaldum winnig the midfield battle against a top team. More leaning towards Gueye.

I would swap Ramos with Marquinhos and make the Brazilian as a tactically hybrid player as Tuchel used to do in the past.

Prime Motta in the park and this team would rule Europe...

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
They dont have the balance that you typically associate with a Poch side. The front 3 aren't contributing defensively and if you have these many players who are passengers out of possession, any team would struggle

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Don't watch your team nowhere near enough to make any judgment so would like to hear from PSG supporter why's that?
Last year, PSG finished 2nd.

PSG is relatively lucky this season. Teams like Leipzig and City could have beaten us, and the team struggles to fully dominate opposing teams contrary to a team like Bayern.

He should enable Messi to play more centrally and be more reactive during a game with early sibs when things are going wrong.

Generally speaking, I don't think Poch has a real vision.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
I also believe a system with 3 central defenders is the way to go because we know Messi/Neymar/Mbapp as a unit is limited in terms of defensive contribution.

In your tactical setup, I don't see Verratti/Wijnaldum winnig the midfield battle against a top team. More leaning towards Gueye.

I would swap Ramos with Marquinhos and make the Brazilian as a tactically hybrid player as Tuchel used to do in the past.

Prime Motta in the park and this team would rule Europe...
Yeah it good go both ways, the thing is, Marquinos will be far better a compensating on the right side since he's faster and younger than ramos, guess both could work. Or maybe it'll never happen if Ramos never comes back...

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
You're not funny anymore mate. It's just sad now.
Yea, I bet if psg lost, you and the others would have quoted me the same way. I only did it so, you would see how childish it is. Some fans on here doesn’t learn, so it seems speaking their language is a more effective approach. Anyway, No worries, I believe what I see and I have done this before where I have been right. I will just let the football speak for itself and let you come to a realization Without me helping you see it.

keithsingleton

Rather Conte than Pochettino.
Really!

You've seen how poor Spurs have been since he left. All Poch as done for me is prove he was the right man to take us over rather than a legend that we had on the pitch than off it which is sh!te.

There's no chance Poch will come now, once again United miss the boat.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
They dont have the balance that you typically associate with a Poch side. The front 3 aren't contributing defensively and if you have these many players who are passengers out of possession, any team would struggle
People keep saying that but that doesn’t explain the entirety of the bad performances. They don’t seem to have a clue with the ball either. Very disjointed and can’t retain possession. Not clear at all what system he’s trying to play. It’s ugly at the moment but they’re still winning. Which is either a good sign or a bad sign, I’m not sure.

Sviken

Really!

You've seen how poor Spurs have been since he left. All Poch as done for me is prove he was the right man to take us over rather than a legend that we had on the pitch than off it which is sh!te.

There's no chance Poch will come now, once again United miss the boat.
Maybe before we appointed Ole on a full contract, but you'd be mad to take Poch over Conte now. They're different calibre of managers

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
A lot of PSG fans active online share your sceptism. I am not convinced by Poch as far as I'm concerned.
I’ve never been a big Poch guy. He clearly has ability as a manager (more than someone like Ole for example), but he always seemed to fall short with Spurs at the most crucial times. He still hasn’t won a major trophy in his managerial career (apart from the French Cup) and he’s had quite a few chances, albeit without super-elite squads in many cases.

And I still think the performances last season (when he wasn’t trying to integrate a bunch of new players into the team) were bad. And they lost the league as well of course. You obviously know more about them than I do, what did you think of his first half season in charge, from January onwards?

keithsingleton

Maybe before we appointed Ole on a full contract, but you'd be mad to take Poch over Conte now. They're different calibre of managers
It's not really open for discussion about Poch because he's going nowhere now. It may well be Conte but he's not my first choice. However, he will certainly do better job than Ole but that's not difficult is it.

Ixion

Our board have clearly decided he's the one and we'll wait till PSG dump him. Get LVG when he's past his best, get Jose when he's past his best, get Poch a few years too late, makes sense.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Our board have clearly decided he's the one and we'll wait till PSG dump him. Get LVG when he's past his best, get Jose when he's past his best, get Poch a few years too late, makes sense.
At least if he is the one the club want they're sticking with a long term target rather than just going for who's available or fashionable

Poch was clearly who they wanted after Mourinho before they gave the full time job to Ole

BorisManUtd

I don’t get the continued love fest for Poch
On the other hand it seems like some people are desperate for him to fail. Fair enough, his PSG stint hasn't been a success so far, but he transformed Tottenham from average side in 2014 to very good team in 2019 without spending too much. They played some nice football as well. I think anyone will agree his time at Spurs was a success, even though he failed to win anything. Same goes for his time at Southampton. Can he do it at a top club is another question.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I’d be happy giving him a chance if Ole goes. He did well at Spurs considering they spent barely anything, and PSG are a truly unique club in the way the players have power at the club. I don’t think you could take much from his time there if he’s successful or if he fails, I think Tuchel even did an interview saying some of the personalities there just aren’t manageable.

I’d mostly just be interested so we can finally see if he’s actually as good as made out to be.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
On the other hand it seems like some people are desperate for him to fail. Fair enough, his PSG stint hasn't been a success so far, but he transformed Tottenham from average side in 2014 to very good team in 2019 without spending too much. They played some nice football as well. I think anyone will agree his time at Spurs was a success, even though he failed to win anything. Same goes for his time at Southampton. Can he do it at a top club is another question.
I am starting to question if that was really him though? The emergence of Harry Kane and Alli to a degree, seemed to be a lot more to do with Spurs' success than anything else. He didn't really leave a legacy or a particular style of play at either team and I'm struggling to see what he adds to teams. It certainly isn't success.

charlenefan

I am starting to question if that was really him though? The emergence of Harry Kane and Alli to a degree, seemed to be a lot more to do with Spurs' success than anything else. He didn't really leave a legacy or a particular style of play at either team and I'm struggling to see what he adds to teams. It certainly isn't success.
I've got no problems people questioning Poch's top level but what you've posted is just wrong, giving him no credit for the form of Kane or Ali? No style of play? Come off it

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
I’d be happy giving him a chance if Ole goes. He did well at Spurs considering they spent barely anything, and PSG are a truly unique club in the way the players have power at the club. I don’t think you could take much from his time there if he’s successful or if he fails, I think Tuchel even did an interview saying some of the personalities there just aren’t manageable.

I’d mostly just be interested so we can finally see if he’s actually as good as made out to be.
That's a VERY naive take. Messi and Ronaldo at their prime could pretty much do whatever they wanted, even Neymar when he was in spain (his sister's birthday, carnival in brazil etc. all of that originated when he was at Barcelona). Cristiano left the stadium at Juventus before the end of a game after he was subbed without any repercussion, Bayern player's got Ancelotti fired etc. In most clubs, players have too much power.

Also, Tuchel never said such thing. He said PSG was hard to manage because he had to manage more than football (including some player's entourage).

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
If he can't get PSG dominating lesser teams with the squad he has, I can't rate him.

Woodenlung

I rate Pochettino very highly for the excellent work he did at Southampton and then at Spurs. He isn't afraid of using academy players and favours a high pressing system. I've no doubt he'll get the best out of our side if he joins down the line.

He's the manager we should have went for when he was available last year when Olé was struggling. He's proven himself to be a great coach and I think he'll have us challenging on all fronts.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
I rate Pochettino very highly for the excellent work he did at Southampton and then at Spurs. He isn't afraid of using academy players and favours a high pressing system. I've no doubt he'll get the best out of our side if he joins down the line.

He's the manager we should have went for when he was available last year when Olé was struggling. He's proven himself to be a great coach and I think he'll have us challenging on all fronts.

The academy players at PSG would strongly disagree with this assertion. Even when he has no pressure from anyone he'd rather put Rafinha on the pitch than a young player.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I've got no problems people questioning Poch's top level but what you've posted is just wrong, giving him no credit for the form of Kane or Ali? No style of play? Come off it
So does he get criticism for Alli's form falling off a cliff? I don't think anyone get's much credit for Kane, other than Kane if I'm honest. You stick him in any side and he was performing. The style of play associated with Poch is no different to what Ole produced against Spurs, so I'm not really convinced it's anything to be particularly bothered about.

charlenefan

So does he get criticism for Alli's form falling off a cliff? I don't think anyone get's much credit for Kane, other than Kane if I'm honest. You stick him in any side and he was performing. The style of play associated with Poch is no different to what Ole produced against Spurs, so I'm not really convinced it's anything to be particularly bothered about.
So on Ali your answer is a question? You want to give Poch no credit for his good form for a good few years but want to blame him for the decline?

As for Kane he wasn't even in the Spurs side until Poch put him in so no Kane who was in the reserves at the time doesn't just go into any side and start performing

Finally I don't even know what you're trying to say about his style of play being no different to what Ole did in 1 game at the weekend. Poch's style of play was evident from his time at Southampton and then at Spurs

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Hope we avoid him tbh. Think he's so overrated as a manager. Sure he was alright at Southampton and did well enough at Spurs until 2016/17, albeit without ever winning anything or getting super close to winning. Everything post 2017 was either a big fluke (CL final) or just not good at all and consistent mediocre performances, declining teams and overly aggressive mentalities when things don't go his teams way.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
He just seems clueless at times, he's not equipped to handle teams with star players. When I see how he's managing Messi so far, it's beyond belief. He had Messi as an out and out winger one game, and false 9 up front on his own the next, that's someone who has absolutely no idea of what he's doing. There is still no philosophy, consistent passing and patterns of play 11 months in. I've held back last season when he took over for Tuchel because I feel every manager needs at least an off-season and some time to apply their tactics to the team, but there aren't any. He's relying solely on the individual brilliance of some players, as so far it's mainly Mbappe, Hakimi, and Di Maria to a lesser extent (shout out to Gueye and Herrera) that have been able to answer the call consistently. Without those three and Navas/Donnarumma, this team is not top of the league.

The excuse of not having a consistent XI to work with, which I've brought up in the past is only fair if the manager is just coming in, but he was here for months prior to that and the team still looks as clueless. I could count on one severed hand how many times PSG looked superior to their opponent. He needs to find the formula very soon because his days are numbered at this rate.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
I don’t get the continued love fest for Poch
Because people who knows football see what he has accomplished and why he is so rated highly in the footballing world. Look at Spurs after he left. They are a complete mess. And it seems like the only fix there is to a hire a real top manager like Conte to return them back to that period of success. However, we will have to see how conte do first if he is to be hired there.

Now at psg, he is comfortable on top of the league and his record against the best teams in Europe has been really impressive. Tuchel who is doing well at Chelsea said that psg is a hard place to manage, yet Pochettino is making it seem like the only issue is getting the team to play football where they smash their opponents. However, with the issue of constant injuries, egos of the players and squad imbalance, amongst other factors that I may not have mentioned, all those factors considered Pochettino has been a success over there. What many people don't understand is that real life is not like video game. Real Madrid can lose to sheriff, bayern can get thrashed by Gladbach, Manchester United can lose to young boys and so on. Pochettino at psg along with klopp at Liverpool and tuchel at Chelsea has been the only few consistent top manager at a top club this season. That is why, he is rated highly by those that understand football and if he leaves or get sacked by psg, I am sure another top club will come after him.

Last edited:

SATA

I’m convinced he’s a good coach and is a good manager judging by his stints at Soton and Spurs but what the PSG fans have been posting about him has got me worried. I just hope that Paris is perhaps the wrong club or fit for him

passing-wind

Disgrace from the glazers. Poch should have been hired when Solskjaer was the interim if he's the target. What sense does it make waiting for him to leave his post ? He has the best young player in world football, one of the best players of this era and a supremely talented player in Neymar leading the line. I cannot see why Porch would want to leave immediately if he has any ambition to stake his claim as a world class manager with his opportunity at PSG.

One notorious aspect about people who obtain / manage wealth is the consideration of timing, when you consider the Glazers practices when it comes to influencing the hierarchy of the club they seem like they've stumbled into a position of fortune as opposed to working their way to it. They have such a poor sense of direction.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
So on Ali your answer is a question? You want to give Poch no credit for his good form for a good few years but want to blame him for the decline?

As for Kane he wasn't even in the Spurs side until Poch put him in so no Kane who was in the reserves at the time doesn't just go into any side and start performing

Finally I don't even know what you're trying to say about his style of play being no different to what Ole did in 1 game at the weekend. Poch's style of play was evident from his time at Southampton and then at Spurs
I was merely trying to set out the parameters, because I would say Alli's decline is largely to do with Alli, so whilst he did well to set up a system that worked for Alli at the time, he didn't exactly set it up to last for very long so where does the buck stop?

And yes he was, Sherwood brought him into the side at the end of the season and next season Kane scored 30+ goals.

I'm interested to hear what your characterisation of Poch's style is, because for me, it's a formation cented around a back 3 with wingbacks, high pressure and fast transisitions - ie counters. Doesn't sound particularly disimilar to a hell of a lot of managers out there and a lot of them haven't really be graced to have Eriksen, an Alli at his pomp, Kane, Son and others in - yet he won nothing with it.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
This just can't be :(

I'd genuinely just continue not achieving things with Ole rather than not win things with Pochettino.

Why not Ten Hag?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.