Mauricio Amadaeus Pochettino | Chelsea sack watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

dal

It’s easier to get players of Less quality to run when you inherit superstars it becomes harder. Tuchel didn’twin the league the year he got sacked a crime not winning that league with their squad.

I’m Last year watching United around 30 percent of our games were entertaining, probably 50 the year before that, this year there’re all entertaining in one way or another.

I for one love fast counter attacking football, pressing and quick possession play as long as the season possesses these then your happy, even happier if you win things. Most of the Liverpool play is either crosses or second balls around the area from Trent or Robertson.

City have been consistently the best attacking team amd stand outs although it takes managing being able to buy and play Mahrez, Sane, Grealish, Aguero, Gundogan, De Bruyne, Sterling, Foden, David Silva, Bernardo Silva, Jesus kind of helps.

As long as you can create a good spirit and motivate players, sensible tactics your assistants should be able to to the rest.

Basically your budget wins you titles more often than not.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Because there's nothing to get even remotely excited about when it comes to him taking charge here. Dull bloke and his football isn't all that.

I'd love to be proved wrong, I feel like he'll probably be our next manager, I just don't have much faith he's the man to return the glory days back to this club based on the evidence provided thus far.
Which is fine if it weren't for seeing people (probably not you tbf) losing their shit over us letting Conte go to Spurs. I mean out of the two of them there's no contest which I'd prefer to see replace Ole

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Over rated manager, and the excuses from his mother in this thread are pathetic, too many stars, no real striker, squad not getting enough out of him. Give me a break.

I’m sure most of the fans on here wanted him here and then there was a meltdown when we didn’t get him, same thing happening now with Conte, let’s see how that pans out too.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
It’s hard to pass judgment on Poch when he’s in that circus of egos at both pitch level and boardroom level. Dont forget this time last year Tuchel was snubbed as a fraud by a lot of people and no-one considered him to replace OGS.
That's a very easy excuse. Tuchel was sacked mainly because he didn't get along with Leonardo, which isn't the case for Pochettino. If he didn't want to coach players with egos, he should have turned down the job.

Imagine they keep that going for 3 years....
Imagine they somehow fall out into the EL this season, then repeat it next year, then look close to doing it the following year, all the while whilst your board back him & Amadeus and a load of other Argentine fans sign up for your message board calling you spoiled fecks and trying to convince you it’s all been progress. :drool:

Chairman Steve

You could possibly attribute the 7 new players in the summer as a reason why they’re looking a little disjointed. Usually 3-4 is a sensible limit without disrupting it too much and then you’re having to ride out the gelling in period. Ramos hasnt even played for PSG yet amazingly.

Plus how many of those players did Poch actively want? Or rather did the Qataris choose for him? Guarantee Messi is their latest ego purchase after Neymar. Poch probably would look silly to turn him down, so probably went “Sure I guess?”

I do not envy his job having to deal with all that shit, from Messi‘s antics, Neymar taking a trip to Brazil when he feels like it, Icardi and his wife, Mbappe pining for Madrid, knee jerk Qataris, butting heads with Leonardo the sporting director (since I‘m fairly sure I read somewhere Poch hates working under one and got himself promoted to Manager from First Team Head Coach in one of his new Spurs contracts and they binned off that sporting director, who I believe was Paul Mitchell).

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
It’s easier to get players of Less quality to run when you inherit superstars it becomes harder. Tuchel didn’twin the league the year he got sacked a crime not winning that league with their squad.
Tuchel won the league in his full seasons. The second place in the league was already Pochettino, after he took them over exactly in the same spot Tuchel left them in after a slow start. It is absolutely possible that Tuchel would have turned that around, we will never now and therefore this is not a useful argument. In the end this crime as you rightfully call it is tied to Poch, more than to Tuchel.

I see how the team is playing. Their front three don’t want to press
If that is hurting your team performance and think you need a better work rate in your team, you have to drop at least one of those front three. If you don't have the balls to do that, you are not a top manager. Simple as that.

Chairman Steve

Funnily enough, the guy who’d be perfect for PSG and their CL ambitions is Zidane, who has the name and cred to handle the circus of PSG.

And you could argue Poch would be more suited to Utd. The only person who might clash with him for ego reasons would be Ronaldo but Ronaldo would just get the feck on with it really.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I think Poch will be damaged goods after the PSG stint, when the Glazers will no doubt move to get him.

PSG job has been (understandably) too big for him.

I just don’t think he’s the right guy to fix Utd anymore.

Could be wrong of course, but he seems like he’ll need a break after this job, and even then, his swagger just seems to’ve lowered as a coach.

Dominos

Over rated manager
Baffles me how people could say this consider he's almost exclusively known as fraud, bottler, serial loser..

He's actually underrated considering everyone thinks he's shit except for like 2 posters. Still, not the right choice for United given what we've seen so far at PSG, he needs to prove he can get a big team performing at a consistently high level on the way to major trophies before we take a risk on him.

frostbite

I don't know why some people are trying to justify this guy. I can't understand why some people say "we should not judge him for his time at PSG".

Nobody forced him to take this job. He took the job and now he is failing at it, of course we can judge him! If the players are not what he expected, if someone forces him to play certain players, or interferes in any way, he should have quit long time ago. Since he took the job, and stayed on the job for a year, there are zero excuses.

MattofManchester

Stay well clear of him. He's not good enough for us nor the manager we want, especially after the debacle that is Ole.

AshRK

He is a good manager who should never have joined PSG. It's a gross mismatch.

BlueHaze

He is a good manager who should never have joined PSG. It's a gross mismatch.
Well the thing is he was getting a lot of praise for what he did at Spurs but there was always that other side of the coin where he had not won anything. So it's very obvious he jumped at the chance of joining PSG. Now he has already won a cup and if he gets the entire season he will most likely win the league. Then people can no longer say he has not won anything. He's pretty much guaranteed titles over there.

Unsurprisingly enough he did bottle the title last season to Lille though...

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Baffles me how people could say this consider he's almost exclusively known as fraud, bottler, serial loser..

He's actually underrated considering everyone thinks he's shit except for like 2 posters. Still, not the right choice for United given what we've seen so far at PSG, he needs to prove he can get a big team performing at a consistently high level on the way to major trophies before we take a risk on him.
Take a look at this thread, I only looked at the first page and half and the people saying it should be Poch is far out numbering any other manager. Certainly more than two. Going back just one year there’s not even a mention of ten hag. There’s more saying it should be hassenhutl ffs.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/next-manager.458681/

Kaos

40 % win rate in the CL. Damning.
Ole's slightly better at around 42%, but also has a 50% loss rate.

The fact of the matter is we could and should be doing better than both the likes of Ole and Poch. Poch would be better because at least his football's good to watch (assuming we get the Spurs poch) and he'd still be committed to playing youth, but I still think he'd be an underwhelming appointment.

Yeah, it was a heroic effort with a squad of plucky underdogs, but that huge er, one point deficit Tuchel left him with was just too much to overcome. :(
Tuchel managed almost exactly half a season, got 2.06 points per game. Poch managed 2.24 per game. Tuchel managed 4 less games yet managed the same amount of losses too.

So yes, Tuchel helped. It was a shitty joint effort, slightly worse from the German.

Chairman Steve

Sir Alex seems to be a big admirer of him. He put Alli and Kane as his favourite English players to emerge since his retirement… two players who benefitted big time playing under Poch. He’s been photographed with Poch leaving some London restaurant back in 2016 and more recently Sir Alex visited the Lowry where PSG were staying earlier this year for their tie against City.

If the papers are to be believed that Sir Alex has influenced to keep Solskjaer for now, then I have a feeling he will tell them to get Poch in once PSG sack him. Maybe there’s some greasing of the wheels too to move the process along. I’ve always felt that Chelsea buying Werner and Havertz was to appease them trying to get Tuchel out of PSG and they knew well in advance that he could be got and he didn’t like being there… no idea if I’m reaching there but it’s a fun and possibly logical conspiracy theory I have.

the_cliff

If that is hurting your team performance and think you need a better work rate in your team, you have to drop at least one of those front three. If you don't have the balls to do that, you are not a top manager. Simple as that.
I'm not Poch's biggest fan and have openly criticised him on this forum before but there aren't many managers in world football that would drop one of Neymar, Mbappe and Messi. You must know that there has to be some politics involved. He'd be sacked by the end of the week if he dropped any of them.

There's a lot of criticism to throw at Poch but not dropping the most expensive teenager in history the most expensive player in history and the greatest player in the history (or 2nd greatest) of world football is not one of them.

AshRK

Well the thing is he was getting a lot of praise for what he did at Spurs but there was always that other side of the coin where he had not won anything. So it's very obvious he jumped at the chance of joining PSG. Now he has already won a cup and if he gets the entire season he will most likely win the league. Then people can no longer say he has not won anything. He's pretty much guaranteed titles over there.

Unsurprisingly enough he did bottle the title last season to Lille though...
I don't think managing PSG is everyone's cup of tea. I can even see someone like Klopp struggle there. Even Tuchel struggled to an extent, Emery looked out of place. Not a surprise Poch is struggling.

L1nk

I honestly think, no matter where he goes after PSG, us or elsewhere, he will glow up quite a lot. Think him and PSG is just a terrible terrible match, it's not an excuse for him but it just doesn't seem like a fit you know? Zidane and PSG now that seems like a fit.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I think PSG would get the best results being one of those Real/Barca type clubs who fire managers for every failure. It should be the same with the squad given what they are spending. Someone will come in there make them run like feck or drop a few big names and will finally figure it out. The problem there is player power and maybe the best players aren’t the best team. Imagine a team with a few pogbas. It would be a nightmare/impossible to implement a hard working style

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I'm not Poch's biggest fan and have openly criticised him on this forum before but there aren't many managers in world football that would drop one of Neymar, Mbappe and Messi. You must know that there has to be some politics involved. He'd be sacked by the end of the week if he dropped any of them.

There's a lot of criticism to throw at Poch but not dropping the most expensive teenager in history the most expensive player in history and the greatest player in the history (or 2nd greatest) of world football is not one of them.
As you say, there aren't many, but some would. Some are real elite top managers. I guess they are largely the same people.

Or they make it work to play convincing football using those front three, so that there is no need to drop one of them. Poch does neither.

the_cliff

40 % win rate in the CL. Damning.
Again I'm not Pochs biggest fan but some context needs to be put in to those results. The other managers in that list have navigated easy groups and played more games due to taking over PSG at the start of the season.

Poch joined in Jan when PSG were already in the knockout stage, his first fixture was Barcelona in the round of 16, results are as follows:
Won 4-1 Away
Drew 1-1 Home
Through to the quarters

Then played the Quarter Final against Bayern Munchen:
Won 3-2 Away
Lost 1-0 Home
Through to the semis

Then played the Semi Final vs City
Lost 2-0 Away
Lost 2-1 Home

Decent run considering he just joined the team and took them to the semi finals, only one of the managers mentioned in that tweet managed to do that and that was Tuchel who took them to the final.

Fast forward to this season he got a group with Manchester City, Leipzig and Club Brugge results are as follows:
Drew 1-1 away to Club Brugge
Beat Manchester City 2-0 at Home
Beat Leipzig 3-2 at Home
Drew Leipzig 2-2 Away

Once you look at his results as a whole, considering he's played 2 against Barca, 2 against Bayern, 2 against Leipzig and 3 against City in his first 10 PSG games it suddenly makes a lot more sense.

As you say, there aren't many, but some would. Some are real elite top managers. I guess they are largely the same people.

Or they make it work to play convincing football using those front three, so that there is no need to drop one of them. Poch does neither.
I agree with you there completely, I think you can count the managers that can do that with one hand and that's my point. Pep for one, maybe Klopp, maybe Zidane but that's about it.

Reactions: roonster09

sosolid4u09

Can we please bear in mind that tuchel essentially failed at PSG and is killing it with chelsea. I dont think its fair to judge poch on this shitshow of egos at psg. Its not a good fit. Doesn't mean hes a bad manager

He is exactly what man utd need for the next 4-5 years.

lloyd2wayne

Can we please bear in mind that tuchel essentially failed at PSG and is killing it with chelsea. I dont think its fair to judge poch on this shitshow of egos at psg. Its not a good fit. Doesn't mean hes a bad manager

How did Tuchel exactly fail at PSG? He won the league back to back something Poch couldn’t do, also few domestic cups and actually took them to a Champions league final where they lost by 1 goal. What exactly were you expecting him to achieve?

He is the best manager they ever had in terms of achievement. All PSG want is the champions league and he’s taken them to a final, best any manager has done since the Qatar people came in.

sosolid4u09

How did Tuchel exactly fail at PSG? He won the league back to back something Poch couldn’t do, also few domestic cups and actually took them to a Champions league final where they lost by 1 goal. What exactly were you expecting him to achieve?

He is the best manager they ever had in terms of achievement. All PSG want is the champions league and he’s taken them to a final, best any manager has done since the Qatar people came in.
He was bought in to win the champions league. He was just as responsible for psg not winning the league as poch since he was there half of that season. You clearly weren't following psg during his time there because he was constantly under pressure and constantly under criticism for the way he was managing psg. He didnt win the champions league. Poch has been there less than 12 months so obviously hes not won it yet or gone back to back in the league

You're clearly a Wikipedia football fan who hasn't been following psg closely.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
If it is a choice between Poch and Brendan, I am taking the guy who actually made top 4 consistently, got to a CL final and made Dele Alli look like a proper footballer.

All on a small fraction of what the clubs around him were spending.

The fact that he can’t get any cohesion at the PSG circus doesn’t worry me in the slightest.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
The fact that he can’t get any cohesion at the PSG circus doesn’t worry me in the slightest.
It should. The way the current United squad is built is much closer to PSG than to Poch's Spurs.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20

Pochettino took Spurs to the final! Spurs!!

Players that people well overrated, he made look like stars.

Back in the days when people were talking about 50 million bids and moves to United/City for Dier, Rose and Alli!

It’s absurd that his work there isn’t valued on this forum. I would kill for comfortable top 4 and a CL final.

PSG is a circus. I want to see what he does with Rashford, Sancho, Greenwood and the like.

caid

He's not a bad manager but when your questioning his ability to handle ego's and his ability to win trophies this stint at PSG is kind of damning.

Status
Not open for further replies.