Mayweather v Pacquiao (2 May 2015) | NO requesting streams/rivers etc in this thread

Who will win ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Classical Mechanic

Yeah I agree, Mayweather has always preferred fighting people that suit him....arguably the same could of been said for Nas though up until the Barerra fight.
I loved Nas but he did duck Marquez and Morales. In boxing though there are people who are actually 'matchmakers', it is their job. Part of the game is finding the right guy for the right guy at the right time. Mayweather was especially good at this. It just really grates when he calls himself TBE, if you do that you have to take on the biggest challenges.

Oggmonster

I loved Nas but he did duck Marquez and Morales. In boxing though there are people who are actually 'matchmakers', it is their job. Part of the game is finding the right guy for the right guy at the right time. Mayweather was especially good at this. It just really grates when he calls himself TBE, if you do that you have to take on the biggest challenges.
Yeah it somewhat ruins the illusion of being great the minute they lose (see Nas for an example of this, I liked him to but he got a huge amount of stick after Barerra fight.) YEah Mayweather isn't the best ever but probably just the best at marketing himself really.

I saw an interview with Kellerman before the Mayweather fight and he was right what he said I thought. The "0" means nothing for Mayweather really as plenty of people have gone 49-0 before but lost at a way higher number. His example was Chavez going something 80+ and 0 before not winning a fight which is surely more impressive than 48, 49 or 50-0 whatever Mayweather ends up retiring on. Being unbeaten is an impressive stat to have especially when he's hardly been hit either but compared to some older boxers careers it's not that great, even though the sport has changed a lot since then. Mayweasther possibly has a claim for the best of his generation, definitely the best of his generation in the weight classes he's fought in, that doesn't sound as impressive as TBE though.

Classical Mechanic

@Oggmonster

Willie Pep went 63-0 before he lost his first fight. After that defeat he won another 73 in a row!

Those guys boxed up to two times a month. Pep had 241 fights in his career. On bad days Mayweather has been run close by B level guys like Castillo and Maidana. If he boxed more regularly and against the best guys around, like they did back in the day, there is no doubt in my mind that he would have some defeats to his name. Ironically his legacy might have been greater in that case.

Oggmonster

@Oggmonster

Willie Pep went 63-0 before he lost his first fight. After that defeat he won another 73 in a row!

Those guys boxed up to two times a month. Pep had 241 fights in his career. On bad days Mayweather has been run close by B level guys like Castillo and Maidana. If he boxed more regularly and against the best guys around, like they did back in the day, there is no doubt in my mind that he would have some defeats to his name. Ironically his legacy might have been greater in that case.
Yeah there's definitely a case for it, the problem is with all sports is that they've changed now and there's no need for him to fight that regularly and there's no logic in doing it for him....a lot of older fighters are in a bad way now due to the amount of fights they had.

Mayweather's appeal to sell fights is pretty much the "0" in his record. I actually do quite like watching him fight because I think it's good to watch someone that talented and at that level be so good at something but I know it's not for everyone. His whole selling point up until the Pacquiao fight was people probably wanted him to lose, now he can sell himself on it being his last fights and the 0 doesn't matter as much as it did.

Mayweather has (or had) the ability to fight aggressive, the Gatti fight is an example of it when he put on a masterclass against a very attacking fighter and stopped him, the defensive style works very well for him and people can't beat it but if he has to go in a fight he definitely can.

Floyd Mayweather has fought all the best in his decision, maybe some past their best but he still beat them, the argument can be made he fought a few of them too late but I do think he'd of beaten them all in their prime anyway...of course there's no way of proving this.

Classical Mechanic

@Oggmonster

I tend to agree that he would have beaten most of them. I think that Paul Williams would have beaten him, however. Floyd is an all time great for me, outside the top ten though, probably somewhere around 15-20.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Full Mayweather interview - 9 mins. Confident and arrogant Floyd is back. To be fair, he has the right to be after winning too.