Mayweather v Pacquiao (2 May 2015) | NO requesting streams/rivers etc in this thread

Who will win ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

saivet

There's no denying his skill and it is impressive to watch but nobody watches football to savour defensive masterclasses. We all expect and want more when we pay to watch a game of football. Why should boxing be any different?
In tennis though, while everyone loves to see a good winner, watching a player defend brilliantly can be equally if not more exciting to watch for me. So in that case, I could definitely watch tennis to see a defensive masterclass.

Even in football (I don't believe him) but a Chelsea fan I know, was saying how he loves to go watch a defensive performance.

mu4c_20le

I hate the comparisons to defensive football. In football, all you need is a goal more than your opponents to win, that could be as low as 1. Floyd wins his fights by out boxing his opponent and he outlanded Pacquaio in both jabs and power punches. He dominated him. Spain would have been a better comparsion as they were far more effective than just a Mourinho side, they were simply unplayable both at the WC and Euros. Technically brilliant and unplayable.

Classical Mechanic

Did Ali and co not take it to a high degree of technical skill?
Yes. But Mayweather's style is right at the top end in that regard. He doesn't look to get his guy out of there he out boxes them.

Ali had physical gifts, he was exceptionally fast for a man of his size, he could punch and he had a great chin. All the all time greats had a high level of boxing ability. But if you look at a fighter like Marcos Maidana he is very crude technically but he is a massive puncher, he is game as anything and can take punishment so he gets to world class level despite that lack of technique. That is boxing, there is more than one way to skin a cat. He is the kind of fighter who always makes exciting fights because he goes out there to destroy his opponent.

JR10

Supports
Still deciding
Is there a general boxing thread. I want to talk about Amir Khan but this doesn't seem like the right thread

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I hate the comparisons to defensive football. In football, all you need is a goal more than your opponents to win, that could be as low as 1. Floyd wins his fights by out boxing his opponent and he outlanded Pacquaio in both jabs and power punches. He dominated him. Spain would have been a better comparsion as they were far more effective than just a Mourinho side, they were simply unplayable both at the WC and Euros. Technically brilliant and unplayable.
Agree completely.

Hitchcocker

What about the shoulder injury? Are we all thinking that is an excuse or is there any evidence from the match to suggest Manny was favoring one arm and is valid.

Revan

Assumptionman
Yes. But Mayweather's style is right at the top end in that regard. He doesn't look to get his guy out of there he out boxes them.

Ali had physical gifts, he was exceptionally fast for a man of his size, he could punch and he had a great chin. All the all time greats had a high level of boxing ability. But if you look at a fighter like Marcos Maidana he is very crude technically but he is a massive puncher, he is game as anything and can take punishment so he gets to world class level despite that lack of technique. That is boxing, there is more than one way to skin a cat. He is the kind of fighter who always makes exciting fights because he goes out there to destroy his opponent.

I wonder if there is any chance of Mayweather - Maidana 3. Maidana has definitely been the boxer which had tested Mayweather more than any other (or at least from those I have seen). It was also a blueprint how Mayweather may be defeated and I was hoping that Pacquiao will use the same aggressive strategy. For some reasons, Pacquiao was very reserved instead of going there to murder Mayweather like Maidana did.

Edit: I actually forgot De La Hoya fight. That was super close, and I am not sure that May should have won it. At the contrary, Pac completely destroyed Oscar.

Last edited:

Revan

Assumptionman
What about the shoulder injury? Are we all thinking that is an excuse or is there any evidence from the match to suggest Manny was favoring one arm and is valid.
Well, Manny defnitely didn't fight like usual but if it is an injury or simply Mayweather destroyed his plan, we won't ever know. I think that it is more likely that he is bullshiting though.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Hard to know but the truth is boxers often carry some sort of injury into fights. If you agree to go ahead with the fight then it's a bit weak to use it as an excuse afterwards.

Classical Mechanic

@Revan

It has been said that Pac's brutal KO at the hands of Marquez had changed him as a fighter. He has taken less risks in the ring since.

I don't think there will be a third Maidana fight. He won the second fight easily. Floyd Snr said they want an easy fight for the last one Nd he mentioned Khan.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Dominated him, without hurting him. I don't think United fans need the obvious football analogy spelled out and I, for one, am getting very fecking sick of that particular brand of domination!

Seriously, you can't watch a title fight go the distance and see a loser with such an umarked face then make an argument about "power punches". That's just a statistic. He never once hurt Pacman and that's just boring as feck to watch.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Not even sure how that's called domination in boxing. Both looked like they were ready for a photo shoot after the match. Footballers probably look more bothered after a 90 minute game.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Dominated him, without hurting him. I don't think United fans need the obvious football analogy spelled out and I, for one, am getting very fecking sick of that particular brand of domination!
Except he actually won. :(

Revan

Assumptionman
@Revan

It has been said that Pac's brutal KO at the hands of Marquez had changed him as a fighter. He has taken less risks in the ring since.

I don't think there will be a third Maidana fight. He won the second fight easily. Floyd Snr said they want an easy fight for the last one Nd he mentioned Khan.
Yep, but I was hoping that he'll go agressive against Floyd considering that Floyd isn't exactly a master of knock outs. That would have been Pacman's only chance of winning.

It is weird how Floyd will be remembered as a better boxer than Pacman. Pac was probably the better boxer but Floyd was definitely the smarter boxer (the most intelligent boxer ever?). Take the fight against Marquez (the last one) which as you say chanced Pac. He was winning 5 out of 6 ronds (well, he would have won the sixth round if he didn't get KO), so most likely he had 4-5 points advantage (both boxers knocked down each other so those rounds likely were 10-8 with the others 10-9 for Pac) and he was still going for KO. The fecker got KO in the last second of the sixth round. If that didn't happen, then maybe he would be far more agreesive on Sunday, and who knows, probably would have beaten Floyd.

If Floyd would have been in his position, he would have killed that maych by dancing and counter punching. Wait, that is what exactly happened.

Last edited:

Classical Mechanic

@Revan

I don't think that Pac ever would have beaten Floyd unless the rules were changed to give point reductions for excessive holding more readily. To paraphrase Teddy Atlas on the fight: because of their physical attributes Mayweather was at the top of the hill and Manny was at the bottom, Manny doesn't have the jab or reach to be effective at range against Floyd so he had to close the range and every time he did Floyd simply tied him up.

It would be a worthy rule change IMO as it would create a better spectacle. But we have to remember that the Las Vegas commission has absolutely no interest in disadvantaging the Mayweather industry. He makes a lot of rich people even richer in that state.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
@Revan

I don't think there will be a third Maidana fight. He won the second fight easieachloyd Snr said they want an easy fight for the last one Nd he mentioned Khan.
They say they want to fight in September which I think Khan or his camp have ruled out because of Ramadan

Revan

Assumptionman
@Revan

I don't think that Pac ever would have beaten Floyd unless the rules were changed to give point reductions for excessive holding more readily. To paraphrase Teddy Atlas on the fight: because of their physical attributes Mayweather was at the top of the hill and Manny was at the bottom, Manny doesn't have the jab or reach to be effective at range against Floyd so he had to close the range and every time he did Floyd simply tied him up.

It would be a worthy rule change IMO as it would create a better spectacle. But we have to remember that the Las Vegas commission has absolutely no interest in disadvantaging the Mayweather industry. He makes a lot of rich people even richer in that state.
Good god, in that case I would probably be willing to fight Klitschko :lol:

I agree, that even in 2010 or so, May would have most likely won, but back then it might have been a different song. Now, it looked that May is simply too good for Pac, while in 2010 I would have said 60-40% for May.

Zen

Floyd was the smarter boxer.....but wasn't the better boxer....that makes no sense. Pac was 47-46 up on all three cards against JMM.....pretty sure JMM won the second half of their prior 3 fights too. Not sure where you getting a 5 point swing, IF Pac stays up round 6, judges may have given it him, so 2pts.

Floyd is a brilliant boxer. Manny is pure gung ho fun.

Revan

Assumptionman
That could kill it then because Mayweather has his conditions and you either accept them or go home!
I find it strange from Khan. This is the fight which can make him rich and do here well, he can become the top boxer in his category. Chances of beating May are low, but May will then retire while Pac seems a bit past it. With those two gone, Khan could be No.1 in his class.

Also, doesn't Ramadan end in the middle of July or so. Which would give Khan 2 months to prepare for the fight.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I find it strange from Khan. This is the fight which can make him rich and do here well, he can become the top boxer in his category. Chances of beating May are low, but May will then retire while Pac seems a bit past it. With those two gone, Khan could be No.1 in his class.

Also, doesn't Ramadan end in the middle of July or so. Which would give Khan 2 months to prepare for the fight.
Typically a 10- 12 week fight camp though so it would certainly hinder preparations especially if it's the start of September... That's only about 6 weeks

Revan

Assumptionman
Floyd was the smarter boxer.....but wasn't the better boxer....that makes no sense. Pac was 47-46 up on all three cards against JMM.....pretty sure JMM won the second half of their prior 3 fights too. Not sure where you getting a 5 point swing, IF Pac stays up round 6, judges may have given it him, so 2pts.

Floyd is a brilliant boxer. Manny is pure gung ho fun.
Was the result effer announced? I was going more from unofficiall commentary and from watching the match. Pacman was better in all rounds (in one of them should have won by a difference of 2) bar in that round which he went down (obviously that was 10-8 for JMM). No idea how it was 47-46, that would mean that JMM won 2 rounds.

Floyd is brilliant, I agree. The speed of counterpunches and how he avoids getting hit is out of his world. On the other side, Manny is someone who makes people fall in love with boxing.

Edit: just checked that JMM actually won the fourth round.

Zen

Amir Khan is desperate for this payday that it's silly. I hope he doesn't get it just for his stupidity of trying to bait Floyd into it. It's just a shame theres not many other options for Floyd to keep trolling him at this point, be hysterical if he took on Brook for no logical reason whatsoever though, doubt Khan would mentally ever recover from that troll.

Classical Mechanic

I thought that Manny looked the best he ever had against JMM before that knockout. I thought that JMM won the fight before that clearly.

I think that Keith Thurman is the guy they are looking at to be the next WW star. I think with his attributes he would be very dangerous against Khan. I think that Brook would KO Khan too.

Kazi

Amir Khan is desperate for this payday that it's silly. I hope he doesn't get it just for his stupidity of trying to bait Floyd into it. It's just a shame theres not many other options for Floyd to keep trolling him at this point, be hysterical if he took on Brook for no logical reason whatsoever though, doubt Khan would mentally ever recover from that troll.
It's not even a huge payday though. He'd make the same, or even more if he fought Kell Brook in Wembley. He just knows that a loss against Floyd does absolutely no harm to his reputation, whereas a loss to Brook could potentially make Brook a star in the US. Anyway, I think Khan would beat Brook, and would give Mayweather one of his three toughest fights of his career, up there with Maidana I and Castillo I.

RedFish

It was obvious MayweathAer would win. I'm surprised 76 people on here put Manny to win.
I voted Pacman with my heart, though my head knew it was a long shot. Too many times have I seen fighters fight Mayweather and seen them rendered impotent. But this was Pac Man, surely the most dangerous opponent Mayweather has faced (or built up to be).

The first 3 rounds went by and I thought Pac Man could get KO'd by the straight down the middle. It was obvious that Manny was finding it difficult to get into range. Any punches combinations he did throw were dodged or hit the usual shoulders/arms. The last 6 were pretty much a Mayweather masterclass. Complete domination. Floyd Mayweather, goddamn it - you're too fecking good.

RedFish

Was the result effer announced? I was going more from unofficiall commentary and from watching the match. Pacman was better in all rounds (in one of them should have won by a difference of 2) bar in that round which he went down (obviously that was 10-8 for JMM). No idea how it was 47-46, that would mean that JMM won 2 rounds.

Floyd is brilliant, I agree. The speed of counterpunches and how he avoids getting hit is out of his world. On the other side, Manny is someone who makes people fall in love with boxing.

Edit: just checked that JMM actually won the fourth round.
That pretty much describes how I feel. Manny is special type of fighter but Mayweather is the boxing master. His movement, pauses, in fight decision making is so perfect at times, it almost looks choreographed. He's so in the comfort zone because there aren't any other opponents that can even come close to 'outbox' him. ''Hard Work -Dedication'' - I quite like that, even from a Pac Man fan

mu4c_20le

That pretty much describes how I feel. Manny is special type of fighter but Mayweather is the boxing master. His movement, pauses, in fight decision making is so perfect at times, it almost looks choreographed.
There was one point late in the fight where a desperate Manny had him backed up into a corner and was about to start a flurry, Floyd dropped his left arm and did the shoulder roll. The way he rolled was amazing, because he timed the rhythm to match the punches so perfectly that if Manny or any of his previous opponents wanted to land, they'd have to slow down or stop and change the rhythm, which would break the combo, and allow Floyd to either slip away or counter. He really does have it down to a science and it's a shame when some people only see him as running away.

RedFish

There was one point late in the fight where a desperate Manny had him backed up into a corner and was about to start a flurry, Floyd dropped his left arm and did the shoulder roll. The way he rolled was amazing, because he timed the rhythm to match the punches so perfectly that if Manny or any of his previous opponents wanted to land, they'd have to slow down or stop and change the rhythm, which would break the combo, and allow Floyd to either slip away or counter. He really does have it down to a science and it's a shame when some people only see him as running away.

I Echo the above ++.
''Box smart'' Mayweather keeps saying......and that's exactly what he does. To call it too defensive or running away is a non-argument, and plain ridiculous and it is a crying shame as you say. Last night he stood his ground and didn't allow Manny to drive him backwards and Manny had no answer. Some are saying Manny could have tried to throw more combinations, to be more aggressive and that he was basically too cautious but Mayweather had the distance controlled the whole fight with that jab and straight right which packed some real power. It was pretty much the perfect fight for him. I didn't hear what Freddy Roach had to say in the immediate aftermath, but he had the look of a man who knew his favourite son had been well beaten.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
There's no denying his skill and it is impressive to watch but nobody watches football to savour defensive masterclasses. We all expect and want more when we pay to watch a game of football. Why should boxing be any different?
It just is, Boxing can't be compared to Football in this sense as it's easy to camp 11 men in front of a goal. Mayweathers skill is more comparable to Barcelona's tiki taka football. Starve the opposition of having anything. Some find it boring, some appreciate it for the level of skill required.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
It just is, Boxing can't be compared to Football in this sense as it's easy to camp 11 men in front of a goal. Mayweathers skill is more comparable to Barcelona's tiki taka football. Starve the opposition of having anything. Some find it boring, some appreciate it for the level of skill required.
the only difference is that Barcelona can't avoid to play the best teams in the world. Actually its the opposite. Every year they go out there and try to beat them all.

Boxing is too much bureaucracy to be compared straight up to other sports.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Interesting stuff about the future of the sport:

Was Mayweather v Pacquiao the end of boxing as we know it?

Floyd Mayweather’s decision to give up his world titles before his 49th and allegedly final fight in September is a devastating blow not just for Amir Khan, who was near the head of the queue as his opponent, but for the administrators who have been in charge of the sport for 30 years.

Mayweather did more than upset three of the four main world governing bodies when he announced his intention to surrender their baubles and say goodbye to boxing unencumbered by their sanction fees. He might yet fight Khan but his call adds only confusion to the process.

His statement – delivered in a low-key aside in the moments after beating Manny Pacquiao here on Saturday night to unify the WBA, WBC and WBO welterweight titles – constitutes the biggest challenge to professional boxing’s status quo in modern times. It could change the sport and the business forever. Whether it is for the better is too early to say.
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2015/may/04/floyd-mayweather-manny-pacquiao-boxing-new-era

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I loved watching Barca under Guardiola. Thought they were great. I also enjoy watching Mayweather. I thought the way he picked apart Hatton then knocked him the feck out was amazing. He's ridiculously skilled. I just think a fight like this one was disappointing. Should have been a fight for the ages but wasn't. The really great, historic fights bave always been wars and when two legends (belatedly) go toe to toe you want a war. No matter how skilled he was at slipping punches and controlling range a defensive masterclass will never get you on the edge of your seat. Which is, at the end of the day, what we want from every sport we watch. What I want, anyway.