Mayweather v Pacquiao (2 May 2015) | NO requesting streams/rivers etc in this thread

Who will win ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NM

The fight between De La Hoya and Mayweather not happening sooner is more on De La Hoya than Mayweather. And people forget Oscar was the bigger name at the time and Mayweather's team conceded every advantage to Oscar in negotiations. And Floyd is older than Manny Pacquiao so he should be further away from his prime than Manny is. And Mayweather has the Corrales was the undefeated favorite in that match.
Agree with the other stuff but the bit in bold is wrong. Pac's fight style ages MUCH worse than Moneys.

Money is a great boxer, but he will not be remembered fondly like Ali/Robinson etc.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Agree with the other stuff but the bit in bold is wrong. Pac's fight style ages MUCH worse than Moneys.

Money is a great boxer, but he will not be remembered fondly like Ali/Robinson etc.
Yeah, I agree with everything here. Manny's style requires a level of energy that Mayweather's doesnt. At the same time, Mayweather is undeniably great, yet to many people he will be remembered as undeniably boring. The Chelsea comparisons are actually quite apt.

Classical Mechanic

Hate to bring MMA into the thread again but a tweet from Conor McGregor was spot on IMO "That was more like a business transaction than a fight"
Why is it though? Anyone that expected that Mayweather was going to go toe to toe in the middle of the ring because of the size of the fight was either stupid or do not follow boxing. One thing that has marked his career is that he absolutely does not take risks. He almost always puts on dull to dire spectacles.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Not true.

He didn't fight Tszyu or Paul Williams. Shane Mosley, Miguel Cotto and Manny Pacquiao were all avoided when they were hot too. Those are pretty much the toughest fights that were out there for him in that era too.
Mosley was the one who ducked Floyd for years he even used a toothache as an excuse. And Cotto/Manny are younger than Floyd so the fight being delayed should be in their advantage.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Mosley was the one who ducked Floyd for years he even used a toothache as an excuse. And Cotto/Manny are younger than Floyd so the fight being delayed should be in their advantage.
To be fair different styles age in different ways. I might be completely wrong here, but it just seems there was always something coming up when talk of Mayweather fighting the best guys. It certainly looks like he played smart and picked the right times for his most dangerous opponents, anyway.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Mayweather keeps pulling in great PPV numbers people are tuning in for some reason. People keep calling him boring but, people keep handing over their money. Will he be remembered fondly who knows but no question about his popularity now.

NM

read the numerous people saying that is wrong

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Mayweather keeps pulling in great PPV numbers people are tuning in for some reason. People keep calling him boring but, people keep handing over their money. Will he be remembered fondly who knows but no question about his popularity now.
That's fair. Though popular isn't always great, I always get baffled by the amount of people who buy Fifa or Cod every year, but no denying their pull.

Classical Mechanic

Mosely didn't duck Floyd for years at all. They had talks once but he due an operation on his tooth, which he had. It isn't like Floyd rang him up and tried to make the fight and he said 'I have toothache'!

Your reasoning for Cotto and Manny is just badly flawed. Cotto took an horrific beating at the hands of Margarito who was later found to have loaded his gloves with a plaster of Paris substance and then had hard fight against Pacquiao, again he took a severe beating. That is when Floyd becomes interested because he knows that those kind of events take something away from a fighter forever. Similarly for Pacquiao's brutal KO to Marquez that has changed him into a less aggressive and more cautious fighter.

He wouldn't go near Paul Williams either, a 6ft 1 freak with 79" reach who threw over a thousand punches a fight. Most boxers ducked Paul Williams in the welterweight division but if you go around saying 'TBE' then you don't duck anyone.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
He's widely recognised as the best around while at the same time being an absolute scumbag. As long as he's fighting people will keep tuning in to see him get beaten.

Also, the people who are saying age would effect Manny more are right. In fact I thought that was clear enough yesterday too, Mayweather looked like he had a lot more left in him than Manny.

Revan

Assumptionman
The fight between De La Hoya and Mayweather not happening sooner is more on De La Hoya than Mayweather. And people forget Oscar was the bigger name at the time and Mayweather's team conceded every advantage to Oscar in negotiations. And Floyd is older than Manny Pacquiao so he should be further away from his prime than Manny is. And Mayweather has the Corrales was the undefeated favorite in that match.
Manny has always been a fighter which was very dependable on the speed (weren't people saying in 2010 that pound for pound he had the fastest punch ever?). His style cannot age as well as Mayweather's defensive style.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
Paulie saying it as it should have been covered, he even said it on sky yesterday, do the test 5 years ago floyd would have signed and no juice he couldn't produce a decent fight.

Classical Mechanic

Paulie saying it as it should have been covered, he even said it on sky yesterday, do the test 5 years ago floyd would have signed and no juice he couldn't produce a decent fight.
I found it amusing that the guy who was supposedly doping Manny at that time, Alex Azria, was in Floyd's camp for this fight!

This from an article by respected boxing journalist Thomas Hauser on events around Manny suing the Mayweather's for defamation on accusations for doping, a court case that was quickly and mysteriously settled after initially being staunchly defended by the Mayweather clan.

The Mayweathers continued to fight the complaint. Floyd’s conduct in failing to appear for a scheduled deposition on several occasions displeased the court and infuriated Pacquiao’s attorneys. The case looked like it would be a long battle of attrition. Then things changed dramatically.

On May 20, 2012, a rumor filtered through the drug-testing community that Mayweather had tested positive on three occasions for an illegal performance-enhancing drug.

In late-May, Pacquiao’s attorneys heard the rumor. On June 4, 2012, they served document demands and subpoenas on Mayweather, Mayweather Promotions, Golden Boy and USADA calling for the production of all documents that related to PED testing of Mayweather for the Shane Mosley, Victor Ortiz and Miguel Cotto fights.

The documents were not produced. There was a delay in the proceedings while Floyd spent nine weeks in the Clark County Detention Center after pleading guilty to charges of domestic violence and harassment. Upon his release from jail on August 2nd, settlement talks heated up.

On September 25, 2012, a stipulation of settlement ending the defamation case was filed with the court. The parties agreed that the terms of settlement would be kept confidential. Prior to the agreement being signed, two sources with detailed knowledge of the proceedings told this writer that Mayweather’s initial monetary settlement offer was “substantially more” than Pacquiao’s attorneys had expected it would be and an agreement in principle was reached soon afterward.

As part of the settlement, the Mayweathers and Mayweather Promotions issued a statement that read: “Floyd Mayweather Jr., Floyd Mayweather Sr., Roger Mayweather and Mayweather Promotions wish to make it clear that they never intended to claim that Manny Pacquiao has used or is using any performance-enhancing drugs nor are they aware of any evidence that Manny Pacquiao has used performance-enhancing drugs. Manny Pacquiao is a great champion and no one should construe any of our prior remarks as claiming that Manny Pacquiao has used performance-enhancing drugs.”

It is a really good and detailed article about doping in boxing rather than just being about Mayweather. Says a lot about Richard Schaefer and how he tried to push Golden Boy as a company with an anti doping stance but was possibly taken by surprise at what they found.

http://www.maxboxing.com/news/max-boxing-news/the-ped-mess-part-one

http://www.maxboxing.com/news/max-boxing-news/the-ped-mess-part-two

Spoony

The People's President
Classical Mechan454875 said:
I found it amusing that the guy who was supposedly doping Manny at that time, Alex Azria, was in Floyd's camp for this fight!

This from an article by respected boxing journalist Thomas Hauser on events around Manny suing the Mayweather's for defamation on accusations for doping, a court case that was quickly and mysteriously settled after initially being staunchly defended by the Mayweather clan.

The Mayweathers continued to fight the complaint. Floyd’s conduct in failing to appear for a scheduled deposition on several occasions displeased the court and infuriated Pacquiao’s attorneys. The case looked like it would be a long battle of attrition. Then things changed dramatically.

On May 20, 2012, a rumor filtered through the drug-testing community that Mayweather had tested positive on three occasions for an illegal performance-enhancing drug.

In late-May, Pacquiao’s attorneys heard the rumor. On June 4, 2012, they served document demands and subpoenas on Mayweather, Mayweather Promotions, Golden Boy and USADA calling for the production of all documents that related to PED testing of Mayweather for the Shane Mosley, Victor Ortiz and Miguel Cotto fights.

The documents were not produced. There was a delay in the proceedings while Floyd spent nine weeks in the Clark County Detention Center after pleading guilty to charges of domestic violence and harassment. Upon his release from jail on August 2nd, settlement talks heated up.

On September 25, 2012, a stipulation of settlement ending the defamation case was filed with the court. The parties agreed that the terms of settlement would be kept confidential. Prior to the agreement being signed, two sources with detailed knowledge of the proceedings told this writer that Mayweather’s initial monetary settlement offer was “substantially more” than Pacquiao’s attorneys had expected it would be and an agreement in principle was reached soon afterward.

As part of the settlement, the Mayweathers and Mayweather Promotions issued a statement that read: “Floyd Mayweather Jr., Floyd Mayweather Sr., Roger Mayweather and Mayweather Promotions wish to make it clear that they never intended to claim that Manny Pacquiao has used or is using any performance-enhancing drugs nor are they aware of any evidence that Manny Pacquiao has used performance-enhancing drugs. Manny Pacquiao is a great champion and no one should construe any of our prior remarks as claiming that Manny Pacquiao has used performance-enhancing drugs.”

It is a really good and detailed article about doping in boxing rather than just being about Mayweather. Says a lot about Richard Schaefer and how he tried to push Golden Boy as a company with an anti doping stance but was possibly taken by surprise at what they found.

http://www.maxboxing.com/news/max-boxing-news/the-ped-mess-part-one

http://www.maxboxing.com/news/max-boxing-news/the-ped-mess-part-two
Mayweather hired Memo Heredia and all. Also turned down $5m fine for a potential failed drug test which was requested by the Pacquiao camp. All very strange.

Classical Mechanic

Mayweather hired Memo Heredia and all. Also turned down $5m fine for a potential failed drug test which was requested by the Pacquiao camp. All very strange.
Ahh yes, the guy who can be found on YouTube giving demonstrations on how to inject PEDs and then got Marquez into the best shape of his career when he was 40! Fighters from Mayweather's stable have also failed dope tests in the recent past too.

roykeane19

Agree.

I watched today Sugar Ray Robinson vs Carmen Basilio. Even in their fifteenth round, both boxers were giving mroe punches than Mayweather or Pacquiao did yesterday. They were almost dying and still fighting up to the last second of the match.

This is why the likes of Robinson or Ali will always be remembered.

Btw, this is the fight if anyone is interested:

That video, that was sort of fights that made boxing so beloved to people, true warriors back then

Classical Mechanic

That video, that was sort of fights that made boxing so beloved to people, true warriors back then
I can appreciate Floyd saying that he doesn't want to get brain damage, that is why he fights the way he does and that is why he is smart. He can make all this money and supposedly look after himself. His long history of violence against women might actually suggest that he has CTE, he has been getting punched in the head since he was three years old after all!

Nonetheless that is one of the reasons why he can't be compared to SRR or many other fighters of that era, they would put themselves on the line for fighting pride. For Ray Robinson it was a case of 'get this guy in there because some people say he is the best about......so I'll prove I'm the best about'. It is probably be why one of the reasons that one in four fighters from that era ended up with some form of Pugilistic Dementia but also why this era compare poorly with fighters of the pre 1990 era.

But then you see boxers in his 'doghouse' encouraged to put their health on the line to prove themselves. A case of not practicing what you preach.

@Pogue Mahone

I do tend to feel that there is a little bit of envy in that tweet as Mayweather and Pac are making so much money from this fight, whilst he has to see the vast majority of the revenue that he generates go to the 'company' that he is constantly reminded that he is 'lucky' to work for. From what I understand, he was a talented boxer with potential too.

Last edited:

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Manny has always been a fighter which was very dependable on the speed (weren't people saying in 2010 that pound for pound he had the fastest punch ever?). His style cannot age as well as Mayweather's defensive style.
Mayweather relies on speed just as much (experts have been using this as a justification for their predictions of him losing fights over the last few years as they thought he'd slow down). His reflexes and counter punching all rely on speed. Counter punching probably more so than just simple hand speed as it's about coordination and reaction/reflexes.

I don't get why people try to constantly downplay Mayweather and his abilities. His defensive work is absolutely outstanding, get down to a boxing gym and try to implement some of the things he does and you'll appreciate it more. In my opinion what he does is much, much harder to accomplish than any other aspect of boxing. It's easier to be good offensively, just enjoy a master of the defensive side of the sport.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
This comes across as racist and im not even joking
Do you mind clearing this up for me? Thugs because they are black? What particular gang signs? The V sign is a gang sign now?
Racist? Clearing up with you? Christ, get over yourself. And don't try this internet hippie bullshit with me. Don't try to convert an innocous comment into a platform for whatever agenda you have in mind.

Black, white, Indian, Chinese - doesn't matter. I would have got smacked by my folks if I wore bling and acted like that at that age. Still would, actually.

Last edited:

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
Mayweather relies on speed just as much (experts have been using this as a justification for their predictions of him losing fights over the last few years as they thought he'd slow down). His reflexes and counter punching all rely on speed. Counter punching probably more so than just simple hand speed as it's about coordination and reaction/reflexes.

I don't get why people try to constantly downplay Mayweather and his abilities. His defensive work is absolutely outstanding, get down to a boxing gym and try to implement some of the things he does and you'll appreciate it more. In my opinion what he does is much, much harder to accomplish than any other aspect of boxing. It's easier to be good offensively, just enjoy a master of the defensive side of the sport.
Exactly What i was thinking, if you think of any other sport everyone will say defending takes a lot more out of you physically and its no different in boxing and this wasn't even Floyd at his best it was pretty obvious he has slowed down a bit but it was his speed of hie brain which makes up for the physical loss of speed, he is the best of this generation. He will go down as an all time great and probably the greatest at not being hit which is the whole point of boxing.

Loublaze

ATLien
Racist? Clearing up with you? Christ, get over yourself. And don't try this internet hippie bullshit with me. Don't try to convert an innocous comment into a platform for whatever agenda you have in mind.

Black, white, Indian, Chinese - doesn't matter. I would have got smacked by my folks if I wore bling and acted like that at that age. Still would, actually.
Internet hippie bullshit? What the feck are you on? Gangster gestures, little thugs? Get a clue man. Those comments are anything but innocuous. Im not on a goddamn agenda, I call a spade a spade.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Internet hippie bullshit? What the feck are you on? Gangster gestures, little thugs? Get a clue man. Those comments are anything but innocuous. Im not on a goddamn agenda, I call a spade a spade.
The color of their skin hadn't even crossed my mind before you tried to make this into an issue. Sorry, but this is as far as I am going to engage on this. I am not your man for a protracted (non-)debate.

Btw, I am Indian, 2 hours in direct sunlight and I would be darker than any African-American.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I dont think the his comments are racist at all. Just like you hear will smith's kids and find them pretentious when they talk pretentious bollocks, he's looking at a bunch of children wearing jewelry, which in itself is pathetic, and saying they're looking like gangsters.

Brown Toothpick

Supports
FC Barcelona
Its kinda funny how most sites and media are bringing up the whole Mayweather criminal side after his win, calling celebrities and anyone who congratulates him as supporters of his wife beating actions.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I do think this particular point is the fault of the audience rather than the athletes involved .

Boxing is first and foremost is a sport, it's not a pub fight or Gladiators(Roman not Itv) Mayweather and Pacquiao are there to complete and win a boxing match not to kill each. So while the match was clearly disappointing, the anger coming out from people who seem to think they've been rob of their £20/$60 because they didn't see a dog fight between two men trying to rip each others heads off, says more about the audience than the fight itself.

If people want too see two human beings kick the shit out of each than the best bet is to go down to your local.
Boxing has its roots in very base instincts. I just think anyone who won't accept this is kidding themselves. "Noble art", "sweet science". It's all just wilful self delusion. It's about fighting and all that fighting entails.

I'm saying this as someone who has boxed in the past (took it up again a week ago, actually) and really enjoys watching it as a sport. But a big part of the reason it's so compelling will always be the fact you're watching two people trying to hurt each other. Which is fascinating to watch.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

There's no denying his skill and it is impressive to watch but nobody watches football to savour defensive masterclasses. We all expect and want more when we pay to watch a game of football. Why should boxing be any different?

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Its kinda funny how most sites and media are bringing up the whole Mayweather criminal side after his win, calling celebrities and anyone who congratulates him as supporters of his wife beating actions.
They were doing it before as well. "who should you support, the wife-beater or the homophobe" was one headline I saw.

amolbhatia50k

Boxing has its roots in very base instincts. I just think anyone who won't accept this is kidding themselves. "Noble art", "sweet science". It's all just wilful self delusion. It's about fighting and all that fighting entails.

I'm saying this as someone who has boxed in the past (took it up again a week ago, actually) and really enjoys watching it as a sport. But a big part of the reason it's so compelling will always be the fact you're watching two people trying to hurt each other. Which is fascinating to watch.
As someone who doesn't follow the sport, that's something that resonates. I mean, defensive technique is great and all but you're basically watching to see "fight" and who can inflict more damage on the other guy. Popping little jabs on each other with both fighters looking ready for a night-out at the end of the so called fight, for me doesn't reflect a "battle" in anyway, which is in my mind what I expect and want to see when I see two people face each other in the ring.

I reckon I should just watch some old matches between the heavy weights and proper fighters. This points scoring sneaky boxing isn't for me.

If I want to watch a display of pure tactics and technique, then I'll be better off watching plenty of other sports comfortably over boxing.

Spoony

The People's President
As someone who doesn't follow the sport, that's something that resonates. I mean, defensive technique is great and all but you're basically watching to see "fight" and who can inflict more damage on the other guy. Popping little jabs on each other with both fighters looking ready for a night-out at the end of the so called fight, for me doesn't reflect a "battle" in anyway, which is in my mind what I expect and want to see when I see two people face each other in the ring.

I reckon I should just watch some old matches between the heavy weights and proper fighters. This points scoring sneaky boxing isn't for me.

If I want to watch a display of pure tactics and technique, then I'll be better off watching plenty of other sports comfortably over boxing.

How come you've never bothered with boxing before? Almost seems natural for a young male to watch a sport where two blokes are trying to knock lumps out of each other. Blame testosterone.

Revan

Assumptionman
Mayweather Snr "Given he's fought all the hard hitters, my son needs to get his contract and end it with an easy fight.

"He don’t need no tough fight. Khan would be a good fight for him. My son would beat him, I know.
"Khan has a pretty decent jab but all the technical things, he can't do."

http://www1.skysports.com/mayweathe...should-end-career-with-bout-against-amir-khan
Wouldn't it be funny if he loses in the fight when everyone expects an easy Mayweather victory?

Classical Mechanic

Totally disagree with you. Granted that most people want to see boxing in its more basic form but what Mayweather does takes a very high degree of technical skill. He is an exceptional exponent of the 'sweet science'. Some people appreciate it but most do not. I don't understand people complaining about him boxing like he always has. It just makes no sense.

m1tch

Mayweather's last fight is September, Kahn doesn't do September fights does he? I expect he'll pick a fight the way Kahn does though for this last one, anyone with pillow hands. To be fair, he's proved everything he has to, he's 38, there's no point risking it. Someone like Alexander would be fine.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Mayweather's last fight is September, Kahn doesn't do September fights does he? I expect he'll pick a fight the way Kahn does though for this last one, anyone with pillow hands. To be fair, he's proved everything he has to, he's 38, there's no point risking it. Someone like Alexander would be fine.
After fighting Pacquiao there's no way he fights Khan. Not that I think Khan would win, but it would be unnecessarily tricky for a guy who (as you say) has proved everything he has to. He'll pick a decent, yet unspectacular, fighter, and he'll retire undefeated.

amolbhatia50k

Totally disagree with you. Granted that most people want to see boxing in its more basic form but what Mayweather does takes a very high degree of technical skill. He is an exceptional exponent of the 'sweet science'. Some people appreciate it but most do not. I don't understand people complaining about him boxing like he always has. It just makes no sense.
Did Ali and co not take it to a high degree of technical skill?

amolbhatia50k

How come you've never bothered with boxing before? Almost seems natural for a young male to watch a sport where two blokes are trying to knock lumps out of each other. Blame testosterone.
I watched Tyson bite Holyfield's ear off. Brilliant technique, to be fair.