Mayweather v Pacquiao (2 May 2015) | NO requesting streams/rivers etc in this thread

Who will win ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Loublaze

ATLien
The best moment of the whole event for me was when the camera panned on the Mayweather family and smug little thugs wearing bling started making gangster gestures. It was surreal. My buddy and I had a good chuckle.
Do you mind clearing this up for me? Thugs because they are black? What particular gang signs? The V sign is a gang sign now?

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Thought the fight was quite poor. Mayweather's got great reflexes and played the system well, but he's not exciting to watch. Almost no offence from him at all, and just looking to get away from his opponent whenever he was in trouble.

Pacquiao managed to pin him down in the 4th and 6th rounds with some good offensive shots, but he was never able to sustain it. Mayweather always managed to drag the match back to his pace again.

For the boxing experts out there, would Pacquiao have stood a better chance 4 or 5 years ago?

SonnyTheHaloPro

"Van Gaal is David Moyes +£150million"
Loved the build up and all the hype leading up to this fight. It wasn't what we all expected but it was still a decent battle, Pacquiao clearly looks past it though, hasn't been the same since the Marquez KO, and Mayweather's defence is just brilliant.

Would love a rematch, expectations might be lower and the fight would probably be better.

El-Manos

Pacman went into that fight with the wrong tactics, while Mayweather had the perfect game-plan and executed it perfectly. I think Mayweather would have won regardless but Pacman made it easy for him in my opinion. He's better than that, he didn't put him under any real pressure throughout the whole fight. Pacman adapted to a defensive approach in stead of going at him and putting money under real pressure. I think we would have seen a different fight a few years ago, a bit pissed at Roach as well. After all the talk, I expected him to tactically prepare Pacquiao for this fight. I couldn't believe what I was seeing the first 3 rounds, Mayweather just played with him. I expected Pacman to come out strong and put Floyd on his toes but he did the exact opposite and let Floyd dictate the pace and be in control.

Fair play to Mayweather, if you appreciate defensive boxing, then he really is your man. Some great movement and excellent use of reach. Having said that, I prefer a good old brawl any day over what I saw yesterday. I appreciate the likes of Rigondeaux however, who actually utilise great movement and turn it into effective counter-attacking boxing.

Last edited:

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Can we look at the win:loss ratio of those fighters againsy Floyd's as well?

Floyd just dismantled the best there is to offer and he did it easily.

I know it's not fashionable to appreciate defensive mastery but I do. In fact I think it's a harder art to master. We've seen plenty of punchers over the years. Only a handful of guys who have mastered defense like Floyd has.
Sure, if you account for the complete lack of quality boxers during his career and that he fights less than they did.

Defense in a fight is necessary but should never be the goal. If you put two great defensive boxers in the ring and watched them dodge and jab each other with weak hits for 12 rounds, I'm sure it would be riveting stuff...

Mayweather is an amazingly effective boxer, but he's not a great. The goal of boxing is to hit the opponent and knock them out. Mayweather's goal is to not get hit and hit them enough to win on points. It's what he's done for pretty much the last 10 years.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
The best moment of the whole event for me was when the camera panned on the Mayweather family and smug little thugs wearing bling started making gangster gestures. It was surreal. My buddy and I had a good chuckle.
Hmmm

Classical Mechanic

@Sir Matt

Defensive fighters can be great. Jack Johnson and Willie Pep are widely considered top ten, or at the worst, top twenty fighters of all time. Pep is often cited in the top five. Add Mayweather to those two names and you are looking at the top three defensive fighters of all time.

The goal of boxing is to have your hand raised in victory at the end of the fight. The rules encourage knockdown and knockouts but ultimately it is not the goal.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Loved the build up and all the hype leading up to this fight. It wasn't what we all expected but it was still a decent battle, Pacquiao clearly looks past it though, hasn't been the same since the Marquez KO, and Mayweather's defence is just brilliant.

Would love a rematch, expectations might be lower and the fight would probably be better.
A rematch would probably be exactly the same. Mayweather dodging Pacquiao and throwing jabs when he needs to.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Sure, if you account for the complete lack of quality boxers during his career and that he fights less than they did.

Defense in a fight is necessary but should never be the goal. If you put two great defensive boxers in the ring and watched them dodge and jab each other with weak hits for 12 rounds, I'm sure it would be riveting stuff...

Mayweather is an amazingly effective boxer, but he's not a great. The goal of boxing is to hit the opponent and knock them out. Mayweather's goal is to not get hit and hit them enough to win on points. It's what he's done for pretty much the last 10 years.
This again? He has beaten anybody and everybody put in front of him. Pacquaio was supposed to be his biggest challenge and Floyd did not break sweat.

And he fights less? So? That's his right to choose. How is that an argument to prove how great or not somebody is?

The goal in boxing is to win. If you can avoid being hit then great. Some of these amazing entertaining, amazing fighters spend years after their career battling various illnesses caused by their style of boxing. Something tells me Mayweather will be fine in that regard. He's smart.

About that boldest paragraph. Again, what does that have to do with Mayweather's greatness?

I think it's entertaining in a different way, and I can respect that you feel differently. Yeah it is nice for us as fans to watch 2 fighters go at each other for 12 rounds. Fighters in that style often produce great fights, not necessarily the greatest fighters. Those careers are usually shortened and the quality of life hugely compromised for our entertainment.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

The only thing the boxers have to be concerned with is winning, whether it be by points or by KO. It's boxing, not brawling.

You're right though, defence shouldn't be the goal in and of itself, you have to contribute something in attack too. Which is exactly what Mayweather did given he threw more punches than Manny and landed nearly twice as many of them. He didn't just defend better than Manny, he attacked in a more accurate and intelligent way too.

Manny's few flurries might have got the crowd going but they count for feck all when they don't land.

Twigg

Not Twigginator
Supports
100 extrapolation
I've wondered, as someone who doesn't know an awful lot about boxing, why is Mayweather considered the best boxer today? What separates him from heavyweight boxers like Klitchsko? Is it because he's American and they're not, or is that rather harsh?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Can't see it happening. If Manny had won then sure, or even if it had been a seriously tight fight. As is Manny underperformed to the extent that he doesn't particularly deserve a rematch. Plus the outcome would likely be the same anyway, though you'd hope Manny would do better.

Then again, Mayweather's next fight will see him equal Marciano's unbeaten record. Another fight must be tempting....

Wouldn't mind but I really wanted Manny to win. :(

Kazi

I've wondered, as someone who doesn't know an awful lot about boxing, why is Mayweather considered the best boxer today? What separates him from heavyweight boxers like Klitchsko? Is it because he's American and they're not, or is that rather harsh?
What seperates him and Wlad is the level of opposition they've faced really. A lot more high level boxers in Floyd's division than Wlad's, but that's not Wlad's fault. Wlad's also had three defeats earlier in his career. Also, most people would agree that Floyd's skill level is better than anyone elses, only Rigondeaux I'd say can match him on skill.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Nah, Mayweather is technically better and a smarter fighter too. Basically the most efficient fighter on the planet, gets hit less and lands more of the punches he throws. Not an easy thing to do.

Zen

I don't understand the question.....it's a fading sport because of other fighting competitions, lack of stars....the endless politics making superfights more rare for beyond silly reasons....I don't understand what Floyd being a genius has to do with it.

Dying? Probably not, it's going along quite nicely in the UK at the moment, but in other regions it's certainly not what it was. Sports Illustrated very rarely has a boxing cover anymore whereas it used to have them a few times a year in the 80's and 90's.

mu4c_20le

What separates him from heavyweight boxers like Klitchsko?
I don't know if you've seen his latest fight, he looked so ineffective and panicky when the ref prevented him from holding as much as he's used to. Refs have done that to Floyd as well and he adjusted. The Klitchsko's are amazing and very dominant but Floyd has several gameplans and can adapt to anyone.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Apologies to the guys that messaged me for a link lastnight that I never got back to, I fell asleep :lol:

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Just seen the private jet terminal at Vegas Int'l had to be closed last night as it was full with all the mega rich flying in for the fight :lol:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I don't know if you've seen his latest fight, he looked so ineffective and panicky when the ref prevented him from holding as much as he's used to. Refs have done that to Floyd as well and he adjusted. The Klitchsko's are amazing and very dominant but Floyd has several gameplans and can adapt to anyone.
As a total noob, I don't think that Mayweather adapts his gameplans, he is a defensive boxer and one of the best ever at defending. It doesn't matter what comes at him, he will react in the same fashion and just defensively out skill his opponents.

Revan

Assumptionman
What seperates him and Wlad is the level of opposition they've faced really. A lot more high level boxers in Floyd's division than Wlad's, but that's not Wlad's fault. Wlad's also had three defeats earlier in his career. Also, most people would agree that Floyd's skill level is better than anyone elses, only Rigondeaux I'd say can match him on skill.
Add to that, Floyd has been a champion for longer than Klitschko (although to stay as No.1 in heavyweight category as long as Wlad is really impressive).

About the quality of opponents, I am not sure that Floyd had really more than Wlad. A past it De La Hoya and Pacquiao is the best he can offer.

Kazi

Add to that, Floyd has been a champion for longer than Klitschko (although to stay as No.1 in heavyweight category as long as Wlad is really impressive).

About the quality of opponents, I am not sure that Floyd had really more than Wlad. A past it De La Hoya and Pacquiao is the best he can offer.
Since Corrales, his opponents have generally been of a high level. But I agree, there is an asterisk next to every good win he's had. Oscar was washed up, Manny had slowed down, Canelo was at a catchweight etc.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi

With the exception of Margarito Mayweather has fought all the top fighters around his division in his era.

Revan

Assumptionman
With the exception of Margarito Mayweather has fought all the top fighters around his division in his era.
Well yes, but at the time of his choosing. I think that he would have defeated De La Hoya and Pacquiao at their primes too, but it woud have been more close.

As I said yesterday, a victory against GGG would be the one fight which will cement his legacy as one of the top 5 - top 10 boxers of all time. Otherwise, I doubt that he'll be remembered as Robinson, Leonard, Ali and a few others. All these boxers had fights against their odds (well Robinson is a bit of a legend so I think that we may have to get people's words about him rather than actually seeing him fight), while Mayweather generally played it safe and at the time of its choosing.

roykeane19

Heres a comment from a message board , which I agree with:

Mayweather may have won the fight, but the sport of boxing lost it. It was a overhyped media frenzy, played out so only the richest celebrity crowd could see it, and many years after both boxers had led their prime, and in the end it could not deliver. For all the ability of Mayweather as a defensive tactician, maybe even a genius at defensive boxing, that will never be entertaining. When you look at boxing greats, these men went out to fight their opponent, they went for the knock out, not to see if they could dance around for 12 rounds and edge the fight tactically

In 50 years time we will still be talking about Ali V Frazier, the rumble in the Jungle, Hagler V Hearns and a young peak Mike Tyson. Not one Mayweather fight will get a mention as none are memorable. Legacy secure I don't think so. Who pays to watch this. This is not real Boxing.

Spoony

The People's President
In 50 years time we will still be talking about Ali V Frazier, the rumble in the Jungle, Hagler V Hearns and a young peak Mike Tyson. Not one Mayweather fight will get a mention as none are memorable.

Can't argue with that. Pacquiao has been in some legendary fights, though, Mayweather hasn't. Let's see how history remembers him eh? Was watching Roy Jones jr dismantle James Toney, again, this morning and that was possibly the most one sided big fight in history. Difference was Roy Jones, who many said did enough not to lose, attacked and took apart his opponent. That's what great fighters do. Mayweather is a great technician, one that I can't help but admire but there will always be a...but.

Last edited:

Revan

Assumptionman

Mayweather may have won the fight, but the sport of boxing lost it. It was a overhyped media frenzy, played out so only the richest celebrity crowd could see it, and many years after both boxers had led their prime, and in the end it could not deliver. For all the ability of Mayweather as a defensive tactician, maybe even a genius at defensive boxing, that will never be entertaining. When you look at boxing greats, these men went out to fight their opponent, they went for the knock out, not to see if they could dance around for 12 rounds and edge the fight tactically

In 50 years time we will still be talking about Ali V Frazier, the rumble in the Jungle, Hagler V Hearns and a young peak Mike Tyson. Not one Mayweather fight will get a mention as none are memorable. Legacy secure I don't think so. Who pays to watch this. This is not real Boxing.
Agree.

I watched today Sugar Ray Robinson vs Carmen Basilio. Even in their fifteenth round, both boxers were giving mroe punches than Mayweather or Pacquiao did yesterday. They were almost dying and still fighting up to the last second of the match.

This is why the likes of Robinson or Ali will always be remembered.

Btw, this is the fight if anyone is interested:

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Mayweather is a class above. It was boring as hell, but as been said a million times already, we got exactly what was expected. His consistency and ice cold attitude in the fights is to be admired, he certainly knows how to box clever.

Pacman was the disappointing one. In all honesty though, I was much more annoyed at the Hatton fight, because in that one it was a combination of the holding and the ref fecking Hatton over when he tried his close game that swung that fight far more than Mayweathers talent.

Some boxing fans in here have been over smug with their attitudes, but on the other hand to suggest Mayweather was running is something you commonly hear and it's annoying even to a casual fan like me. The guy is class, nowhere near the best ever or even close to being up there, but his reactions and ability to stick to his gameplan no matter what certainly make him the best of this generation.

It's a shame Pacman couldn't do something in this fight, but surely no one thought he'd genuinely win? Not with total conviction anyway. That's heart over head stuff imo.

Revan

Assumptionman
Mayweather is a class above. It was boring as hell, but as been said a million times already, we got exactly what was expected. His consistency and ice cold attitude in the fights is to be admired, he certainly knows how to box clever.

Pacman was the disappointing one. In all honesty though, I was much more annoyed at the Hatton fight, because in that one it was a combination of the holding and the ref fecking Hatton over when he tried his close game that swung that fight far more than Mayweathers talent.

Some boxing fans in here have been over smug with their attitudes, but on the other hand to suggest Mayweather was running is something you commonly hear and it's annoying even to a casual fan like me. The guy is class, nowhere near the best ever or even close to being up there, but his reactions and ability to stick to his gameplan no matter what certainly make him the best of this generation.

It's a shame Pacman couldn't do something in this fight, but surely no one thought he'd genuinely win? Not with total conviction anyway. That's heart over head stuff imo.
Agree with the post and with the bolded line. I wanted Pacman to win but it was never going to happen. Dissapointed on him though for not starting more energetically (I fully expected him to win the first three rounds) and later in the match he should have gone for KO considering that it was clear that he wasn't going to win on points. On that aspect he was as a coward as Mayweather.

If his camp really thought that he's winning on points, then he needs to fire them.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
Come on, First he had to beat De la Hoya to be a great then hatton to reaffirm it and now he has beaten the best in his division he has to now move up and beat GGG to be top 5, what happens if he beats GGG who then because its always someone else, its never good enough for some people, his victories are just wrote off as another fight straight after he won because he gave a master class in boxing again, to hit and not be hit.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Hate to bring MMA into the thread again but a tweet from Conor McGregor was spot on IMO "That was more like a business transaction than a fight"

What makes boxing such a brilliantly compelling sport is the fine line between technical prowess and the fact two men are trying to beat each other unconscious, for your entertainment. Mayweather may be a brilliant technician but he lacks that gladiatorial spirit and his legacy seems hollow as a result. I don't think I've ever seen a more skilled fighter but I've seen plenty who've been more savage and they're the fighters who made the biggest impression on me.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Well yes, but at the time of his choosing. I think that he would have defeated De La Hoya and Pacquiao at their primes too, but it woud have been more close.

As I said yesterday, a victory against GGG would be the one fight which will cement his legacy as one of the top 5 - top 10 boxers of all time. Otherwise, I doubt that he'll be remembered as Robinson, Leonard, Ali and a few others. All these boxers had fights against their odds (well Robinson is a bit of a legend so I think that we may have to get people's words about him rather than actually seeing him fight), while Mayweather generally played it safe and at the time of its choosing.
The fight between De La Hoya and Mayweather not happening sooner is more on De La Hoya than Mayweather. And people forget Oscar was the bigger name at the time and Mayweather's team conceded every advantage to Oscar in negotiations. And Floyd is older than Manny Pacquiao so he should be further away from his prime than Manny is. And Mayweather has the Corrales was the undefeated favorite in that match.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Come on, First he had to beat De la Hoya to be a great then hatton to reaffirm it and now he has beaten the best in his division he has to now move up and beat GGG to be top 5, what happens if he beats GGG who then because its always someone else, its never good enough for some people, his victories are just wrote off as another fight straight after he won because he gave a master class in boxing again, to hit and not be hit.
I said none of those things at any time though. It's obviously just my opinion and my personal standards and tastes in what makes a true great, but he isn't one. There have been far better boxers who want to fight and also were brilliant in their art, or straight out entertainers who took on all comers.

Mayweather is amazing to me as a boxer, but since I don't study the sport and don't know a huge amouny about the ins and outs, it just looks to me like there's always something going on with him with fighting people late, dodging people or simply stiffling and being pretty, for a lack of better word, dull. Yeah his record might show great wins against great fighters, but it certainly doesn't seem like he's taken on all comers in their peak. He's picked the right fights at the right time, where I feel the boxers themselves shouldn't be picking at all. It's the main thing that keeps be away tbh.

If real people with real knowledge want to call him a great, I'd totally respect that. But I'm a casual fan who can appreciate the art, but also wants to be entertained. And there are plenty who could do both above Mayweather for me.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Pretty much agree with that.

The fight was fairly poor even for boxing fans, let alone to all the casual viewers who paid a lot of money to watch it. That was down to Manny more than Mayweather though. The onus was never on Mayweather to go all hulk-smash on Manny, it would have been insanely stupid for anyone to expect that from him given it just isn't his style. It was supposed to be up to Manny to take the fight to Mayweather, challenge him and force him to adapt. Then we might have had a proper fight. Instead Manny failed to put in any real sort of performance and Mayweather breezed through. That's not his problem though, he beat what was in front of him with ease.

You're right though, Manny was never likely to win anyway no matter how much we wanted him to. :(

Sweet Square

Hate to bring MMA into the thread again but a tweet from Conor McGregor was spot on IMO "That was more like a business transaction than a fight"

What makes boxing such a brilliantly compelling sport is the fine line between technical prowess and the fact two men are trying to beat each other unconscious, for your entertainment. Mayweather may be a brilliant technician but he lacks that gladiatorial spirit and his legacy seems hollow as a result. I don't think I've ever seen a more skilled fighter but I've seen plenty who've been more savage and they're the fighters who made the biggest impression on me.
I do think this particular point is the fault of the audience rather than the athletes involved .

Boxing is first and foremost is a sport, it's not a pub fight or Gladiators(Roman not Itv) Mayweather and Pacquiao are there to complete and win a boxing match not to kill each. So while the match was clearly disappointing, the anger coming out from people who seem to think they've been rob of their £20/$60 because they didn't see a dog fight between two men trying to rip each others heads off, says more about the audience than the fight itself.

If people want too see two human beings kick the shit out of each than the best bet is to go down to your local.

cyberman

So what's Floyd's plans now? Khan next would be the most lucrative available and save the Manny rematch for his 50th? Give time for Manny to heal up and the public to forget how lopsided the actual fight was.
He could negotiate a bigger deal to "come out of retirement" to make up for the fall of the casuals not coughing up. Wouldn't take much, have Manny call him out over his injured shoulder etc and it would sell itself.

Classical Mechanic

Not true.

He didn't fight Tszyu or Paul Williams. Shane Mosley, Miguel Cotto and Manny Pacquiao were all avoided when they were hot too. Those are pretty much the toughest fights that were out there for him in that era too.