Mayweather v Pacquiao (2 May 2015) | NO requesting streams/rivers etc in this thread

Who will win ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
But who'd want to watch it?
Most of the Philippines and presumably the people who paid $100k+ to be there as it seemed more a status thing to be seen there rather than sports fans... Though I'm sure for some it was both.
If it was not the next mayweather fight but the one after he would be out of his existing TV deal and probably going for 50&0 so I think there would be plenty of TV / Internet companies interested.
(I'd love to see Google / amazon or similar buy it and sell it as a ppv stream for say $5
A new model for boxing but one that may attract a lot of new viewers?

starman

Khan already ruled himself out of a fight Floyd cos of Ramadan....

Thats all good and well, he should just take the fight and donate 50% of his earnings to charity, that will do a lot more good than him fasting, for 1 month.

Last edited:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Kellerman is usually very good with his interviews, although last nights post fight with Paquiao was horrible.

Oggmonster

Kellerman is usually very good with his interviews, although last nights post fight with Paquiao was horrible.
Seen a few people say that, I didn't mind it me. I quite like it when someone is called out on their bullshit which Pac Man was, there's no way he won the fight and to claim otherwise is stupid. Sure hes a nice guy Pacquiao but it was ludicrous to suggest he won the fight and rightfully Kellerman picked up on that. I'd imagine if Mayweather was saying it on the back of a result like that people would want him called out on it.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
This would have been much more interesting if it had happened a few years ago when it was supposed to. Pacquiao doesn't have the same intensity/speed now which is what would have troubled Mayweather or at least forced him to think a bit more.

Only way I thought Pacquiao would win is if he was just relentless and basically tired Mayweather's defensive work out before he tired himself...but he was never quick enough to get himself into the positions to do that. He might have still been if he wasn't in his late 30s.

Mayweather is the Mourinho of boxing. Win fights by not letting them happen in the first place. I actually find it quite interesting to watch because the way he gets himself out of corners or suckers the other guy in, and speed he does it at, is pretty unique. It's not fighting though...it's just running away with style. You can't call it a fight if after 36 minutes neither guy has a scratch on him or even looks particularly tired.

Spoony

The People's President
Most of the Philippines and presumably the people who paid $100k+ to be there as it seemed more a status thing to be seen there rather than sports fans... Though I'm sure for some it was both.
If it was not the next mayweather fight but the one after he would be out of his existing TV deal and probably going for 50&0 so I think there would be plenty of TV / Internet companies interested.
(I'd love to see Google / amazon or similar buy it and sell it as a ppv stream for say $5
A new model for boxing but one that may attract a lot of new viewers?
Perhaps. I can only speak for myself...I doubt I'll watch the next one, as great as Mayweather's performance was last night, the fight didn't really do anything to stir emotions. But again, with Mayweather it's to be expected.

JP77

BadLeftHook, who are normally pretty good with their scorecards, gave the fight 115-113 to Pacquiao. Personally I had the contest as a close Mayweather decision - I gave Manny the 4th, 6th and 12th with a couple of even rounds. But it's interesting to see just how wide spread the variance is with the scoring of these cards. And yes, I know only the 3 blokes at ringsides' actually count.

I guess the difference lies in how you score close rounds. Let's be honest, in that fight there were very few decisive rounds - in fact, the 2 clearest rounds were 4 and 6 and were both in Manny's favour.

A lot of the other rounds were Floyd stepping away from engagement before firing out some decent counters while Manny worked for pressure and tried to launch an offence. Or nothing happening whatsoever for 2 minutes. Subjectively, the majority of rounds were far from conclusive, even in typical Floyd fashion, and while most of us gave Floyd's technical ability the nod, if you watch the fight back it's actually increasingly easier to call them even or in some cases understand how Pacquiao's aggression to try and force a fight could be favoured.

Simply put, the punches Floyd landed in the close rounds, were they enough to actually win a round where little happened because of the negative steps taken by FM? If fighter A is being so reluctant to engage, is that credit to him or a mark against fighter B for being unable to force the action continuously? Do you call that a positive for Floyd imposing a negative gameplan on the opponent or should the man trying to fight be rewarded for pushing the pace?

When you look at it like that it's a grey area for sure. Truth be told, the fight was a bit of a stinker and Mayweather was largely responsible for that - Many of us saw that coming. It certainly wasn't the technical masterclass that is being lauded today. Floyd got hit and hurt and forced to cover up on far too many occssions for it to be remotely a masterclass, even by his standards. I can't recall a single moment that would feature on an extended highlight reel of his. Instead, the contest was an uber skilled defensive fighter negating an off-colour pressure fighter to just about an acceptable level to work a tight decision in my eyes.

I'm fully aware that the art of boxing is to hit and not be hit, ie fencing without swords. Please keep in mind that I'm not contesting the decision, I'm just trying to understand how some outlets are giving the nod to Pacquiao without clear bias in his favour and open hatred of Mayweather.
BadLeftHook are on drugs if they scored that fight for Pacquiao. It was barely a contest, Mayweather won by a landslide and it wasn't even close.

Classical Mechanic

Those little rhymes that he does in his commentary introductions annoy me for some reason.

BadLeftHook are on drugs if they scored that fight for Pacquiao. It was barely a contest, Mayweather won by a landslide and it wasn't even close.
Kevin Mitchell at The Guardian scored for Pac too by a round,.

LitterBug

No-one likes (a) litterbug
Who would pay $100 / £25 and wake up at 4 AM to watch a possible rematch?

Castia

Really surprised at Manny's camp after the fight, first he comes out saying he thought he won the fight :lol: then he goes on record to say he's injured. Take it on the chin they were shocking on the night, I can't believe after all these years and an extensive training camp he put on that performance he looked clueless at times.

Spoony

The People's President
Meh, seems boring to me. Sounds like a win for possession. Looking better without anything actually happening.

Like I said, it's probably not for me if this is a good representation of the sport.
Nah, it's not a true representation. Sadly you picked the wrong bloody fight to get into the sport.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Really surprised at Manny's camp after the fight, first he comes out saying he thought he won the fight :lol: then he goes on record to say he's injured. Take it on the chin they were shocking on the night, I can't believe after all these years and an extensive training camp he put on that performance he looked clueless at times.
Hes spent so much time saying how he will beat floyd only to be schooled so the embarassment is natural

Spoony

The People's President
Unfortunately, exactly the same. Maybe Pac would have got a few more shots in and been a bit more aggressive, but I doubt the outcome would have been any different.

Yeah, probably. Manny would've frustrated him for 12 rounds. Which begs the question, how the hell do you beat someone like Mayweather?! Pacquiao is just too small...

Classical Mechanic

Could have been the Leonard-Duran of this era. Pacquiao was a different beast back then. This was a guy who was KO-ing hall of famers for fun.
Duran got into Leonard's head in the first fight and Leonard engaged in a war with him. Fought the wrong fight, fought Duran's fight and lost. I don't think that any fighter can get into Mayweather's head and bring him into a brawl.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Seen a few people say that, I didn't mind it me. I quite like it when someone is called out on their bullshit which Pac Man was, there's no way he won the fight and to claim otherwise is stupid. Sure hes a nice guy Pacquiao but it was ludicrous to suggest he won the fight and rightfully Kellerman picked up on that. I'd imagine if Mayweather was saying it on the back of a result like that people would want him called out on it.
Trouble was Pacman's English is a bit limited and that's not withstanding his own view that he thought he won. I see where Kellerman was going with his interview, he wanted more meat on the bone than the usual predictable stuff, but in this case he did come off a bit like Shreeves.

Spoony

The People's President
Duran got into Leonard's head in the first fight and Leonard engaged in a war with him. Fought the wrong fight, fought Duran's fight and lost. I don't think that any fighter can get into Mayweather's head and bring him into a brawl.

Didn't Maidana do well against Mayweather?

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
Yeah, probably. Manny would've frustrated him for 12 rounds. Which begs the question, how the hell do you beat someone like Mayweather?! Pacquiao is just too small...
I don't know. I've been waiting for years to see someone do it, and every time he does exactly this to someone. In exactly the same way. I can't stand the cnut but he is outstanding at what he does. I said it before and will say it again, he has the art of not getting hit and making great fighters look ordinary and clueless down to perfection.

Everyone he has fought knows what to expect and all speak of a game plan yet all end up falling in to the same traps. Like him or not, Mayweather is probably the best technical boxer on the planet. The way he sees fighters telegraph their punches is superhuman. He just knows what they are going to do the minute they decide it and he's more than quick and slippery enough to get out the way and he throws enough quick counters to always ensure he wins on points.

Part of the reason people get so annoyed is because everyone knows exactly what Mayweather will do and how the fight will pan out. The frustration comes from not understanding how other fighters can't figure out a way to stop him. Even though it pains me to say it, the fact he has done the same to so many other fighters of completely different styles is yet more testament to how good he really is.

Oggmonster

Trouble was Pacman's English is a bit limited and that's not withstanding his own view that he thought he won. I see where Kellerman was going with his interview, he wanted more meat on the bone than the usual predictable stuff, but in this case he did come off a bit like Shreeves.
Yeah fair comment I suppose, problem with immediate interviews is that it's all a bit knee jerk which makes it even harder when you dont speak brilliant English....saying that I don't think Floyd's English is the best either ;)

Yeah both fights were pretty close...although Mayweather did deserve to win them both. They were much closer than last nights anyway.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Perhaps. I can only speak for myself...I doubt I'll watch the next one, as great as Mayweather's performance was last night, the fight didn't really do anything to stir emotions. But again, with Mayweather it's to be expected.
Not sure I'd fork out £20 again... But $5 I'd pay all day long...
I do wonder if by reducing the price they couldn't boost the viewers (and therefore advertising revenue) to such an extent it makes more money overall... And as we know Mr M likes his money

Classical Mechanic

Well yes but I don't think that Pacquiao really fights like Duran. Duran was the ultimate brawler, an intelligent brawler. Like Maidana he would lead with the head and elbows on the ropes. He famously punched Ken Buchanan in the balls. Leonard was happy to go toe to toe with Duran in the middle of the ring in their first fight. Mayweather wouldn't do that against anyone. SRL said that in that fight against Duran he felt close to death!

In the second fight Leonard firstly made the rematch really quickly as he knew that Duran was out every night getting totally wrecked and eating like a king, they knew that he would have to lose a lot of weight to get in shape. Secondly he resolved to go back his boxing and stay on the outside. He did that and Duran famously quit in frustration saying that he 'wouldn't fight a clown'.

Spoony

The People's President
Well yes but I don't think that Pacquiao really fights like Duran. Duran was the ultimate brawler, an intelligent brawler. Like Maidana he would lead with the head and elbows on the ropes. He famously punched Ken Buchanan in the balls. Leonard was happy to go toe to toe with Duran in the middle of the ring in their first fight. Mayweather wouldn't do that against anyone. SRL said that in that fight against Duran he felt close to death!

Duran V Mayweather then. Who's going to win? Obviously Duran is too long in the tooth now... But you get my drift.

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
Steffi Graf?
No, she was a few seats away from Steffi and Andre.

Couple of things. First of, why have Jamie Foxx do the national anthem when you can actually get someone with a singing voice? My singing in the shower is more impressive. Second, don't mean to bring race into this, but didn't it look like most white celebrities were supporting Pacquiao while all black stars were in the Mayweather's camp? Not saying race played a part, but you wonder how most US celebs ended up supporting a Philippino fighter who barely speaks any English against one of their very own.

Classical Mechanic

Duran V Mayweather then. Who's going to win? Obviously Duran is too long in the tooth now... But you get my drift.
Well Duran was a lightweight really and his reach is even shorter than Pac's so you would have thought that Mayweather could control him with the jab. I think if the version of Mayweather from the first Maidana fight turned up then Duran would win though. But we have to remember to that in Vegas if Mayweather is fighting a boxer who is especially good at working on the inside a la Hatton, you might be likely to see a curious performance from the ref with a lot of breaking.

Interestingly Hatton idolised Duran and modeled himself on him. Out of the ring too with his excessive lifestyle. Duran proved to be more durable in and out of the ring though.

Irrational.

Just watched the fight again, with a more awake brain. Some thoughts:

I feel sorry for those that forked out $100k-$300k for second hand tickets. As a spectacle, the fight was billed 'fight of the century', but failed to live up to the name.

- Mayweather just wasn't willing to engage, any opportunity to get into the clinch and he usually took it
- Pacquiao tried but ultimately couldn't get his high volume, ambush style going, throwing punches in bunches. Most of his punches hit glove or elbow
- Having said that, we witnessed a defensive masterclass from Floyd
- Don't really see where Manny goes from here. No sure the crowd would buy into a rematch as much. Floyd also doesn't have many reputable options. He needs a big name, and those are few and far between in the welterweight division. He stays away from Thurman, Brook is a nobody as is Danny Garcia, maybe Khan but with Ramadan ending mid-July that would give him less than 6 weeks to prepare for the fight and makes the fight highly unlikely. Personally I think out of anyone from junior WW, WW and super WW, Khan gives him the most problems due to his height, reach, speed and a very decent jab.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy

Couple of things. First of, why have Jamie Foxx do the national anthem when you can actually get someone with a singing voice? My singing in the shower is more impressive. Second, don't mean to bring race into this, but didn't it look like most white celebrities were supporting Pacquiao while all black stars were in the Mayweather's camp? Not saying race played a part, but you wonder how most US celebs ended up supporting a Philippino fighter who barely speaks any English against one of their very own.
They just support whoever's the most popular and that's generally not the guy who rarely says anything that isn't about how rich he is.

Spoony

The People's President
Amir Khan would have a height and possible reach advantage against Mayweather. Reckon it'd be a lot closer than folk would imagine.

Drifter

American
Just watched the fight again, with a more awake brain. Some thoughts:

I feel sorry for those that forked out $100k-$300k for second hand tickets. As a spectacle, the fight was billed 'fight of the century', but failed to live up to the name.
I don't .If you can pay that much for tickets ,you have more money than sense.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic

Floyd is an arrogant, woman beating prick. It's not surprising people want to see him lose.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I would respect Floyd's style a lot more if he actually tried to land a few combinations, and push the other fighter back for a few seconds while also showing his "defensive masterclass".

Probably the fact he just wanted to win at all costs to preserve his record is the reason he fights within himself.

What I want to know is what happens when Mayweather fights another counter fighter, who takes the initiative then? do they both just run around in circles avoiding eachother until the end of the round :lol:

SirAF

Ageist
I know very little about boxing, but I'm just curious about something lads.. I just read that Mayweather says that he's going to relinquish his titles/belts soon so that others can have a shot when he retires. How does that work? Could he have kept the titles "forever" into retirement?

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Thought Foxx did a decent job with the anthem, certainly less predictable than the usual. He's got a decent voice imo. Not sure why they bothered with the Mexican anthem when none of the fighters were Mexican.

There really is no race angle to who supports who. A lot of celebrities know both Floyd and Manny and are supporting either accordingly.

Classical Mechanic

I know very little about boxing, but I'm just curious about something lads.. I just read that Mayweather says that he's going to relinquish his titles/belts soon so that others can have a shot when he retires. How does that work? Could he have kept the titles "forever" into retirement?
No. The commissions get a sanctioning fee for every title fight for one of their belts. It is why the sport is saturated with sanctioning organisations with multiple garbage belts. There is no way that they would retire their most lucrative assets!

He might just mean whilst he is still active as the belts are meaningless to his standing in the sport.