Mayweather v Pacquiao (2 May 2015) | NO requesting streams/rivers etc in this thread

Who will win ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
I don't know anything about the fight apart from the decision. Is it worth watching for someone who's not a huge boxing fan, or a bit of a letdown?

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
I don't know anything about the fight apart from the decision. Is it worth watching for someone who's not a huge boxing fan, or a bit of a letdown?
It was basically a fight for the huge boxing fan. Defensive masterclass moreso than leather for leather, pow pow pow, etc.

I'd skip it.

Do you think that Khan's jab, one two and similar reach will see him have more success than Pac?
If anything, Khan would get shut down more by the counter punch, thanks to his weaker chin.

JackXX

Just because people found it boring it doesn't mean they are ignorant or a 'casual'. Dismissing people's opinions like that just seems very arrogant and defensive. Even if people are just casual fans it is largely these people that are paying the fighters the obscene $ that made it happen. I don't think it's unfair that people would have liked a bit of entertainment.

Mayweather was by far the superior boxer yet he didn't do much offensively at all. That was the underwhelming part for me I think he could have taken Manny apart especially in the later rounds. Honestly there were times where he was up against the ropes and Manny still couldn't do anything. He was throwing flurries of punches but none of them were landing. Mayweather could do what he wanted from the first round. Even by his standards I just felt he took no risks, he wasn't aggressive at any point and there was very little style. I can appreciate his dominance and the way he nullified such a great boxer but it wasn't entertaining. He was never ever going to kill the fight off and when you have a fighter who can't and a fighter that won't it's not a great spectacle and the excitement was over by half way for me.

He's undefeated, he took no damage which I'm sure was a priority as he comes to the end of his career and he played the smart game as always. Fair play to him. I'm sure people did find it great to watch but for most as a spectacle it was underwhelming. They have both been magnificent fighters by this won't be the fight I remember either for when they retire.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Finally home. I scored the fight 9/3 or perhaps 10/2 in Mayweathers favour, although I can kinda understand the 8/4 decision two of the judges gave.

Pretty glad I managed to catch the fight. I was rooting for Manny, but that performance from FMJ was just out of this world. Defensively, just a treat for the eyes. Comparisons to Mourinho are just ridiculous... We're not talking about a £500m team playing overly defensive against a £50m team. We're talking about one on one, same weight class... Why should he go all out against the more powerful puncher?

I don't know... Maybe it's more of a bout for the boxing fan, rather than the intrigued casual, but I found Mayweathers performance to be amazing.
My thoughts exactly.

Mayweather put on a performance that outsmarted Manny on almost every level.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
BadLeftHook, who are normally pretty good with their scorecards, gave the fight 115-113 to Pacquiao. Personally I had the contest as a close Mayweather decision - I gave Manny the 4th, 6th and 12th with a couple of even rounds. But it's interesting to see just how wide spread the variance is with the scoring of these cards. And yes, I know only the 3 blokes at ringsides' actually count.

I guess the difference lies in how you score close rounds. Let's be honest, in that fight there were very few decisive rounds - in fact, the 2 clearest rounds were 4 and 6 and were both in Manny's favour.

A lot of the other rounds were Floyd stepping away from engagement before firing out some decent counters while Manny worked for pressure and tried to launch an offence. Or nothing happening whatsoever for 2 minutes. Subjectively, the majority of rounds were far from conclusive, even in typical Floyd fashion, and while most of us gave Floyd's technical ability the nod, if you watch the fight back it's actually increasingly easier to call them even or in some cases understand how Pacquiao's aggression to try and force a fight could be favoured.

Simply put, the punches Floyd landed in the close rounds, were they enough to actually win a round where little happened because of the negative steps taken by FM? If fighter A is being so reluctant to engage, is that credit to him or a mark against fighter B for being unable to force the action continuously? Do you call that a positive for Floyd imposing a negative gameplan on the opponent or should the man trying to fight be rewarded for pushing the pace?

When you look at it like that it's a grey area for sure. Truth be told, the fight was a bit of a stinker and Mayweather was largely responsible for that - Many of us saw that coming. It certainly wasn't the technical masterclass that is being lauded today. Floyd got hit and hurt and forced to cover up on far too many occssions for it to be remotely a masterclass, even by his standards. I can't recall a single moment that would feature on an extended highlight reel of his. Instead, the contest was an uber skilled defensive fighter negating an off-colour pressure fighter to just about an acceptable level to work a tight decision in my eyes.

I'm fully aware that the art of boxing is to hit and not be hit, ie fencing without swords. Please keep in mind that I'm not contesting the decision, I'm just trying to understand how some outlets are giving the nod to Pacquiao without clear bias in his favour and open hatred of Mayweather.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I think Mayweather could knock him out but I feel that you need to be effective at range to well against Mayweather and Khan has the attributes to do that.
Mayweather is not going to knock anyone out, ever again. His hands are absolutely fecked. It makes his sucess over the years even more incredible.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Mayweather is not going to knock anyone out, ever again. His hands are absolutely fecked. It makes his sucess over the years even more incredible.
No chance of a KO, I agree. It's amazing to think he's enjoyed so much success over the past decade, despite only scoring one legit KO since 2005 - And that was when Ricky Hatton fell into the corner :lol:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Maybe boxing is not for me. I find the rules odd. You can do your opponent almost no damage and win. Also, shouldn't negative tactics of grabbing the other guy result in points deductions?

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Ta guys, I'll skip it. I'm the sort of 'boxing fan' who's gotten 10 times more enjoyment out of old Tyson and Ali videos than any match I've actually watched live, find the sport pretty dull now.

Though I hadn't seen @duffer's Prince Naseem video before. Amazing. :lol:

Oggmonster

I think Mayweather could knock him out but I feel that you need to be effective at range to well against Mayweather and Khan has the attributes to do that.
If Khan fights either of them I wouldn't be surprised to see it as Khan vs Pacquiao. I can't see Mayweather taking to many "risky" fights and Khan is probably the most risky one for him.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Do you think that Khan's jab, one two and similar reach will see him have more success than Pac?
No
I think he would eat the mayweather jab for most of the fight until he was so far behind on points he has to wade in and open himself to a big counter punch.
Like in all boxing match ups he has a chance as you can always land the perfect punch but I would expect him to loose
Plus as always mayweather would insist on a very big ring aiding his elusive style and making it much more difficult to force a slugfest up against the ropes

Last edited:

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Maybe boxing is not for me. I find the rules odd. You can do your opponent almost no damage and win. Also, shouldn't negative tactics of grabbing the other guy result in points deductions?
It's about landing effective punches and controlling the fight. For 35 minutes out of 36, the fight was at Floyd's pace, and he by far landed the cleaner, more effective punches.

As for grabbing, it's a typical tactic, and one of those things that some refs are more harsh on than others. I don't think Floyd grabbed onto Manny so much as to warrant a points deduction.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Though I hadn't seen @duffer's Prince Naseem video before. Amazing. :lol:
Interesting comparison with Mayweather is that Naseem's hands went to shit as well but he could not (or didn't want to try) change his style so retired in his 20's.

Obviously Mayweather is in a different class, broken hands or not.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's about landing effective punches and controlling the fight. For 35 minutes out of 36, the fight was at Floyd's pace, and he by far landed the cleaner, more effective punches.

As for grabbing, it's a typical tactic, and one of those things that some refs are more harsh on than others. I don't think Floyd grabbed onto Manny so much as to warrant a points deduction.
Meh, seems boring to me. Sounds like a win for possession. Looking better without anything actually happening.

Like I said, it's probably not for me if this is a good representation of the sport.

Classical Mechanic

No
I think he would eat the mayweather jab for most of the fight until he was so far behind on points he has to wade in and open himself to a big counter punch.
Like in all boxing match ups he has a chance as you can always land the perfect punch but I would expect him to loose
I don't think that he will win. Just that he might look competitive.

Revan

Assumptionman
Very few people found Spain's succession of 1-0 wins in the World Cup to be particularly enjoyable or praise-worthy performances, though. They were forced to play that way because of how the opposition set up against them and they grinded out wins. They got a lot more praise for the two Euro wins either side of it because they played a lot more attractive football.

Mayweather does the same thing no matter who he plays against, seemingly.
Exactly. Mayweather is Helenio Herrera's Inter. He is defensive in every match (or at least in every match I have ever seen). Yesterday was a borefest. It was supposed to be the match of the century and it was a pretty pathetic match. Obviously, May is the better fighter and the result yesterday was fully deserved but feck it.

In order to have some fun after that shit match I re-watched this beauty again. This is how a big boxing match should be:

Oggmonster

Meh, seems boring to me. Sounds like a win for possession. Looking better without anything actually happening.

Like I said, it's probably not for me if this is a good representation of the sport.
It's unfair to compare the whole of boxing on a Mayweather fight, especially a 38 year old Mayweather who has changed his game.

A lot of people prefer knock out fights and it's a different style but it's fair enough. I do like seeing knock outs but only later in a fight after there's been some boxing. The only early round knock out fighter I've really enjoyed is probably Tyson.

If you wanted to watch current boxing with knock outs there is fighters out there, it's just Mayweather isn't one....Pacquiao probably isnt anymore either really. Saul Alvarez is fighting next weekend who has a fairly high knockout percentage and his fights are usually entertaining, There's other fighters to such as Kovalev, Thurman, Joshua, Golovkin, Wilder and many others who have fights people would class as more exciting, in particular Golovkin and Kovalev in my opinion of the ones listed.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
No
Plus as always mayweather would insist on a very big ring aiding his elusive style and making it much more difficult to force a slugfest up against the ropes
This isn't an accurate analysis of a Khan fight at all. There's no way he would be eating a jab all night and a battle at range would be competitive.

Khan's got a great jab and has quicker hands than Floyd with similar range.

Spoony

The People's President
I think the park the bus is just wrong
I think peps barca is a more apt analogy.. You can't beat them if you cant get the ball off them and when you do they pressure you into giving it away almost instantly.
Similarly mayweather controls the distance and if you cant hit him you cant beat him... If you do manage to get inside he immediately ties you up in a clinch

It can be boring to watch both but you do have to admire the technical brilliance
Indeed. Any team can park the bus, WBA beat United with those tactics. As for the fight, truth is Mayweather was too big for Pacquiao, the Filipino just couldn't find a way in. Anyway, I'd love to see Mayweather in trouble but sadly that's never going to happen. Perhaps he should fight himself...

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
This isn't an accurate analysis of a Khan fight at all. There's no way he would be eating a jab all night and a battle at range would be competitive.

Khan's got a great jab and has quicker hands than Floyd with similar range.
Kahn does not control the distance which is the key to the timing and accuracy of the shots
Trading blows I'd give him a good chance as he has quick hands and power but in the size of ring mayweather (always) insists on I can only see one outcome... Which is control of the distance and hence the fight from Floyd with a lot of his jabs landing with Kahns missing

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
Pacquiao, Roach and Arum constantly blamed his injured shoulder in the post fight conference. Absolutely pathetic excuse.

Wasn't Mayweather's wrist injured before the Hatton fight?

Surley this wasn't the first time Manny has fought with a slight injury, it's part of any sport.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
@Brwned Out of interest what Ail vs Frazier match are you talking about ? I'm guessing the second one, which is quite similar.
I was talking about their 3rd fight in Manilla where I think it's fair to say more happened in the first three rounds of that fight than in all 12 rounds of this one. Ali was still entertaining when he was in defensive mode, it was never about winning at all costs.

EDIT: Actually, no, I was originally talking about Ali v Foreman and then somehow that merged into the 3rd fight against Frazier...in any case, both were far more entertaining for very different reasons!

Last edited:

thepolice123

Why are so many boxing fans in this thread being arrogant? Why not take the time to explain things instead of outright dismissing the opinions of those less familiar with the sport?

You can count the number of boxing matches I've watched on two hands but it's not difficult to appreciate that Mayweather dominated that fight because he was technically and tactically on another level. I might not appreciate the nuances of that but at an overall level it's very easy to see. I could see that in the Ali vs. Fraizer fight too. In fact I was completely entranced by that fight for that reason - I had no idea boxing tactics could be so absorbing.

I personally expected this fight to follow a similar pattern; Pacquiao/Fraizer the brawler vs. Ali/Mayweather the cunning technician. The same themes were there, it just didn't have the same appeal for obvious reasons. The intensity was much lower, the cunning technician landed a lot less significant blows and ultimately we saw a very safe fight from both fighters and that's where the fundamental difference lies. Yes, Pacquaio was out-thought and out-fought but it seems clear as day he wasn't anywhere near his best and didn't go all-out even when he was clearly losing, and because of that Mayweather never even got out of second gear. What's wrong with being disappointed about that?

We already knew going into this that the fight took place too late and that Pacquiao was past his best but even then I think it's not unfair at all to say he was below his best even by his current standards. Similarly Mayweather did enough but I can't believe that's him at his best. Calling that performance superb is just strange to me when he was barely even tested. You could say that Ali wasn't tested against Fraizer but the difference is very clear...Fraizer played his natural game, put everything into it and threw punches relentlessly but he just couldn't break that barrier, and Ali laid into him at key moments. Pacquiao on the other hand barely managed to string a few punches together and looked scared to really play his natural game while Mayweather just watched the clock tick away.

Ali could've won that fight on points easily too, he could've danced the night away while Fraizer tired himself out throwing useless punches, but he didn't because - as he said - he wanted to prove a point. He wanted to show he was the greatest not because of his win ratio or his technical superiority but because of his domination of every aspect of the game. He could play the tactical game, he could play the technical game and he could play the physical game. He was a crowd pleaser too. Mayweather wasn't interested in the latter two aspects and that counts against him in terms of this fight and his career. There's nothing wrong with pointing that out.

You can say that you can't compare boxing in different weight classes but I'm not saying I expected them to have the same strength or style, I'm just saying I expected the same intensity, competitiveness and entertainment. It didn't come close to that and that's almost entirely down to Mayweather, firstly for delaying the fight until Pacquiao was no longer a worthy challenger and secondly for playing so defensively even when he was so clearly superior. That will always lead to resentment - particularly from the casual fans - and I think justifiably so. It wasn't a great spectacle. The most interesting part of it was seeing how superior Mayweather was and that's not enough on its own.

That was nothing like the Ali-Fraizer trilogy. Fraizer was an excellent pressure fighter at his peak and he was absolutely fearless. He ate jabs for breakfast and once he is inside, he unloads bombs on the body and obliterates the opponent with his legendary left hook. The Manny Pacquiao I saw had nothing left in the tank, he was overly cautious and risk adverse. The intensity, the courage and the aggression were all missing. Felt like he knew defeat was on the cards but he didn't want to lose shamefully.

Watch the first Ali-Frazier match. Frazier was in his spartan-like condition while Ali just came back from a three year suspension from boxing. Ali had no answer to his relentless pressure, he danced, but Frazier was equally quick at cutting the ring. Frazier gave Ali a beating in the match and Ali had no answer except his granite chin and lion heart - something we have never seen from Mayweather because he is so technically proficient at his 'art'. The third match was basically a bloodbath, both fighters with nothing left in the tank destroying each other on the ring.

Another good example would be Sugar Ray Leonard vs Robert Duran. Duran insulted Ray's wife and he wanted to give Duran a beating. He's naturally an outside boxer but he planted his feet and traded blows with the vicious Duran in the middle of the ring. Duran's one of the greatest inside boxer you'd ever see, Ray had no business playing his game, but Ray just stood there and took punishment while dishing out his own.

This are the kind of spectacle that make legends. When the champions get thrown into the deep end and we see the mixture of skill and pure courage from them. We have never gotten that from Mayweather. It was always a Mayweather masterclass after masterclass. Round after round of dodging and counter-punching, raking up the scoring points and winning via UD. He mastered the sweet science, but nobody will remember his matches 10 years from now.

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
I was talking about their 3rd fight in Manilla where I think it's fair to say more happened in the first three rounds of that fight than in all 12 rounds of this one.
Ok thanks. Although I would disagree with this comparison.

Watch the first Ali-Frazier match. Frazier was in his spartan-like condition while Ali just came back from a three year suspension from boxing. Ali had no answer to his relentless pressure, he danced, but Frazier was equally quick at cutting the ring. Frazier gave Ali a beating in the match and Ali had no answer except his granite chin and lion heart - something we have never seen from Mayweather because he is so technically proficient at his 'art'. The third match was basically a bloodbath, both fighters with nothing left in the tank destroying each other on the ring.
I've had a really dislike of the 3rd fight between Ail vs Frazier. Because as you said it was a pure bloodbath that should of being stoped rounds before(Frazier was blind for the last few rounds)and both men seemed willing to die in the ring(Ail really thought he was dying)and that's not mentioning it lasting effects that it had on both Ail and Frazier. Frazier could hardly form at sentence in later life and well we know how Ail turned out (Frazier took sick pleasure in taking credit to how Ail turned out in his later years, although it's slightly understandable once you know the behaviour of Ail through out the three fights).

It was boxing at it's best and worst.

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
What a massive letdown. We all know how Floyd boxes, we know it's dull, but the onus was on Pacquiao to make life difficult for him and he was so disappointing, he has none of the intensity he used to have.

It was actually embarrassingly easy for Floyd in the end.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form

Kevin Mitchell of The Guardian gave it 116-115 to Pacquaio too.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Not really, been so many decent fights this year and not all are a let down like this. Mayweather is a Mourinho, both are good but both can be very boring to watch especially if you're paying big money. UFC is boring as well, lots of gay holding on the floor, wrapping legs and what not for about ten minutes. 10 minutes running off or 10 minutes pinning down is all the same to me.
Wlad Klitschko does more or less the same to his opponents. I'll take UFC over this any day of the week. At least there, you never know where a knockout is coming from whether by foot, fist, elbow, or submission.

Tarrou

It wasn't very excited but from a technical standpoint I found the fight quite fascinating. Manny was the busiest fighter but he never troubled Floyd. It reminded me of Haye/Klitschko a little bit, with one fighter using their reach advantage and defensive brilliance to totally dominate the fight.

Manny must have been knackered by the final round, because surely his corner would've told him he needs a KD but he hardly mounted any attacks. Fair play to him for the effort he put in earlier, he was trying to make something happen but just couldn't come up with the answers.

Floyd will surely go on to fight his 50th to best Marciano's record? He doesn't sound very convincing when he says his next fight will be his last.

LitterBug

No-one likes (a) litterbug
I see a lot of people calling that a fight. It wasn't even a sorry excuse for a fight.