McFred is the worst midfield 2 of the PL’s top 10 teams

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Worst midfield with 2nd most goals scored and 2nd placed in the league? Ok.

Red00012

For a midfield duo supposed to be worst of the top 10, Cavani , Greenwood and Martial have only 10 PL goals between them , Rashford out of form, Lindelof isn’t good enough , AWB has been a waste , Maguire is too slow and been coached by a selfish PE teacher you’d have to wonder how we are 2nd , in the quarters of the EL and the FA cup and not lying 10th with Arsenal

darko

Excellent post.

And I would say your assessment is right, which in short is we win most of the games we dominate, but I think the sense of us struggling from teams that deploy a low block tactics stem from the fact that most of the points we dropped this season came from teams that sat back and we dominated them in possession.

So perhaps it's just that we dropped around 12 points to teams we dominated is an issue that might explain why we are behind city, but I believe that's not enough justification of why we are behind city, there are further issues to be resolved and areas to be improved.

On the topic, I 100% disagree that most of the top 10 teams starting 2 CMs are better than Mcfred, only the ones in City and Liverpool are better, the Liecester duo are only slightly better. The rest, Mcfred are the better pair ( Partey and Kante as individuals are better)
I'd be curious to know how many points City has dropped against clubs they've dominated. I bet it's more than 12 points.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
These teams aren't naturally playing a double pivot but the closest we have is the below. I do however agree with the OP that we need to improve it if we want to dominate more games. We need more proactive midfielders and unfortunately, Fred and McTominay aren't that.

Better Level
Rodri Gündoğan
Ndidi Tielemans
Fabinho Thiago
Kanté Kovačić

Similar Level
Højbjerg Ndombele
Souček Rice
Xhaka Partey
Allan Gomes
Neves Moutinho

The Siege

I'm not their largest fan, but even I'm not blind enough to ignore the fact that their actions directly impact how much freedom Bruno gets on a football pitch - the only player with any creative potential in this team. Can they be upgraded on? Yes. Are they killing us? No.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I love it when people watch Goldbridge, get brainwashed by him, then repeat what he says on here. The best part is they think they are coming up with these ideas all on their own and don't even realize that they are nothing but muppets...

OmarUnited4ever

I'd be curious to know how many points City has dropped against clubs they've dominated. I bet it's more than 12 points.

Well city play a possession based style and they dominate possession in virtually every game they play, so it would be simple to see that whether they win or draw or lose, they still dominate the possession during their games.

MileStolar

For a midfield duo supposed to be worst of the top 10, Cavani , Greenwood and Martial have only 10 PL goals between them , Rashford out of form, Lindelof isn’t good enough , AWB has been a waste , Maguire is too slow and been coached by a selfish PE teacher you’d have to wonder how we are 2nd , in the quarters of the EL and the FA cup and not lying 10th with Arsenal
This season really is a weird one, I got a feeling we've been wank all season and yet we are where we are. I'm praying to God MMM's season is just a blip and they go back to last season's form next year onwards.

Red Stone

Any midfield that Xhaka plays in is the worst midfield in the league, so I stopped reading the OP as soon as it suggested Arsenal's was better.

Zen86

Yeah but we went out of the CL so none of the rest matters and something about style of play again as well.

Lentwood

De Gea is finished and Henderson is not up to replacing him

AWB is awful going forward and in possession generally. Shaw is fat and unfit.

Leicester are laughing all the way to the back after robbing us of £80m for bang-average Maguire. Lindelof is weak, slow and easily bullied.

McFred is the worst CM partnership in the top half. Bruno only scores penalties and doesn’t turn up against the top 6. Pogba is a liability and wants out.

Rashford and Martial are inconsistent and lazy. Dan James is a Championship player. Greenwood has only 1 PL goal this season and is looking more like the next Macheda than the next RvP.

Ole is PE teacher. Failed Cardiff manager who has no tactical nous.

Oh to have world-class, flawless players in every position like the mighty Chelsea, Leicester, Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool. All coached by tactical geniuses.

Shame about their league positions but that’s just one of those minor details only old-fashioned football fans about.

AFC NimbleThumb

Pogba who gets injured a lot? That Pogba?
Yea the one that came on & changed the game against PSG away & Newcastle away aswell as this week at Milan. The one who scored a worldly away to West Ham as well as saving blushes against Burnley & whose recent absence from the team has coincided with our fall from 1st.

But yes, he’s crap & never available.

Mr PG

McTominay is the worst starting midfielder in the top 10 teams *
Tall midfielders without sufficient mobility especially lateral movements is the reason we're reliant on Fred. Ole rested him for Sheffield and he was suspended against Red-bull and we lost both games now Ole is overcautious.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Yea the one that came on & changed the game against PSG away & Newcastle away aswell as this week at Milan. The one who scored a worldly away to West Ham as well as saving blushes against Burnley & whose recent absence from the team has coincided with our fall from 1st.

But yes, he’s crap & never available.
No one is saying he's crap ffs, how many league games has he started though (I appreciate i could do that research myself!)? Your comment is that we owe our league position to Pogba (and Bruno), whereas Pogba has missed a lot of football so I suspect that was the point of the post you replied to.

AFC NimbleThumb

No one is saying he's crap ffs, how many league games has he started though (I appreciate i could do that research myself!)? Your comment is that we owe our league position to Pogba (and Bruno), whereas Pogba has missed a lot of football so I suspect that was the point of the post you replied to.
Firstly, his post was in response to mine which suggested Pogba & Bruno have more influence which I’m not even going to begin to debate.

Secondly, you’ve obviously not bothered reading this forum if you believe what I emboldened - cretins on here have tried to say both Fred & McTom are better players at points.

As for my comment, remove Bruno. I wholeheartedly believe Pogba in his limited performances this season has done more to win this club games than either of the McFred tandem; that isn’t to say that McFred are crap but it is to say the gap in ability is stark.

As for how many games he’s started; I’ve already highlighted the multiple games Pogba has had to come on & save us this season. Availability is a great ability so I’d much prefer Pogba be more durable but in a rather stop-start season where his own fanbase sh*t on him at most turns he’s again proving his ability trumps most anyone in the squad.

There’s always a caveat with the lad & it’s nonsense.

Hellboy

When you compare their stats, McT is often the one who has the fewer touches, always hiding, and the worst pass completion. He‘s the weak link and no better at all than players like Daniel Gibson

If Fred played with more mobile and technical players he would fair better

But the fanbase will throw Fred under the bus because he does not slide on his knees and kiss the badge ...

Last edited:

AR87

I like Fred and McTominay as CMs who have different strengths and give us good squad options.

We need Pogba to stay fit (and generally stay at United), so we don't need to rely on McFred week in, week out, plus a replacement for Matic would be good also, but I think they're both very solid options for us.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Firstly, his post was in response to mine which suggested Pogba & Bruno have more influence which I’m not even going to begin to debate.

Secondly, you’ve obviously not bothered reading this forum if you believe what I emboldened - cretins on here have tried to say both Fred & McTom are better players at points.

As for my comment, remove Bruno. I wholeheartedly believe Pogba in his limited performances this season has done more to win this club games than either of the McFred tandem; that isn’t to say that McFred are crap but it is to say the gap in ability is stark.

As for how many games he’s started; I’ve already highlighted the multiple games Pogba has had to come on & save us this season. Availability is a great ability so I’d much prefer Pogba be more durable but in a rather stop-start season where his own fanbase sh*t on him at most turns he’s again proving his ability trumps most anyone in the squad.

There’s always a caveat with the lad & it’s nonsense.
Your post was initially in response to mine about us being 2nd which was early on in the thread.

As great as Pogba has been at times this season, what I’m saying is that he’s missed a lot of football (a cursory glance says he’s played in 19 league games out of a possible 29, some of which are sub appearances and a few are from playing out wide). So to suggest our league position is down to him over others is wrong.

Tallis

De Gea is finished and Henderson is not up to replacing him

AWB is awful going forward and in possession generally. Shaw is fat and unfit.

Leicester are laughing all the way to the back after robbing us of £80m for bang-average Maguire. Lindelof is weak, slow and easily bullied.

McFred is the worst CM partnership in the top half. Bruno only scores penalties and doesn’t turn up against the top 6. Pogba is a liability and wants out.

Rashford and Martial are inconsistent and lazy. Dan James is a Championship player. Greenwood has only 1 PL goal this season and is looking more like the next Macheda than the next RvP.

Ole is PE teacher. Failed Cardiff manager who has no tactical nous.

Oh to have world-class, flawless players in every position like the mighty Chelsea, Leicester, Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool. All coached by tactical geniuses.

Shame about their league positions but that’s just one of those minor details only old-fashioned football fans about.
Haha I was going to post something similar but you saved me the trouble. I really wonder what the explanation Is for us to be 2nd now and 3 last year inspite all these issues and compounded by the PE teacher. I am sure someone would say Pogba but he has missed most of last season and a good part of this season. Are Bruno, Rash and Shaw by themselves pulling relegation fodder upto the Top 4?

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
It’s not even debatable. They are shit. Matic, Fred, McTominay. Shit, Shitter, and shittest. I’d take just about any midfield in the league over them. Two can’t pass a ball to save their life, one can’t move, one doesn’t even want the ball. We lose the midfield battle every single game. It’s remarkable how Manchester United’s midfield is so shit.

Kag

If ever a half was needed to justify your view that we desperately need a midfielder who can pass a ball. Abysmal.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
You have been crying out for a decent CM since Carrick. I even think Doucoure would have been a decent stop gap for you guys, he can’t finish attacks but he is a decent passer of the ball and able to dictate games.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
How have Leicester got a better midfield than us but we're above them in the league?

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Ndidi and Tielemans are in a different league to McTominay and Fred as a partnership.

Art

Art the artist
We could've had Tielemans from Anderlecht. He wanted to come even. Feck sake

acnumber9

You have been crying out for a decent CM since Carrick. I even think Doucoure would have been a decent stop gap for you guys, he can’t finish attacks but he is a decent passer of the ball and able to dictate games.
He’s awful. He’s not even good enough for Everton.

AgentSmith

Ndidi and Tielemans are in a different league to McTominay and Fred as a partnership.
But apparently Leicester play with a different tactical system so that completely negates the differences between Ndidi and Tielemans and McFred.

Some delusional responses earlier in this thread.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Ndidi and Tielemans, Rice and Soucek, you don't have to look very high up the table for a better midfield pair.

John O'Shea and Alan Smith, neither of whom were actually midfielders, were better in midfield than McFred.