McKenna or Tuchel?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Just wondering what people think here. No one wants Southgate, I assume very few want Potter, there are other shouts like De Zerbi, Motta, Flick, and that arrogant twat at Brentford, but if it were a choice between McKenna or Tuchel whom would you prefer?

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Just wondering what people think here. No one wants Southgate, I assume very few want Potter, there are other shouts like De Zerbi, Motta, Flick, and that arrogant twat at Brentford, but if it were a choice between McKenna or Tuchel whom would you prefer?
Im guessing Tuchel would be viewed as less of a risk. It feels like we have very few choices in terms of high quality managers available that want to come here. I would be a 50/50 between these two.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Either for different reasons. Tuchel could have us challenging more quickly, McKenna could be a solid long term option that people tend to prefer.

OldSchoolManc

Definitely McKenna. Less baggage, already knows United and there’s a sense of pride in backing him

AshRK

McKenna but you have to back him and remain patient. Allow him to create his team.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Would very much depend on how our squad planning is. If we literally overhaul the squad so it's unrecognisable, McKenna would be the right long term solution. If we're going to have to piece meal change the squad, Tuchel is a stronger character to do get this group of players doing better. I don't think the squad will be in a position to allow McKenna to be a success, so I'll go Tuchel.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Always thought Tuchel was vastly underrated.

He'd be ideal for the 2 years or so we need to reset. Weed out the ones who aren't interested.

Just feel it's too early for McKenna and there will still be one or two bad eggs who will undermine him left from before.

If he is appointed though it has to be with a view to giving him 2-3 seasons to implement whatever the vision will be.

LordSpud

I feel INEOS would probably want Tuchel to come in and steady the ship while they sort this shit out.

Herschel Krustofsky

Supports
Balanced perspectives
Tuchel for 2 years, put McKenna on retainer.

Hopefully, in two years, McKenna will be bald and I can get my pin badges back out of the drawer.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
How many of these threads are we going to have FFS.

Mods, do you joob.

hobbers

Tuchel or Frank for short term and wait to see how McKenna, Iraola and Motta get on for the next 2 seasons.

kaku06

Vulgarian
Tuchel Tuchel Tuchel. Even for 2 years till we change the culture at this club.

Valencia Shin Crosses

It really depends on what we plan on doing with both the current squad and moving forward in the market.

If it’s a full on tear down and we are looking at mostly top young players to bring in then McKenna makes the most sense of any option. Brilliant manager of young players, would be pretty Arteta like hire in that you’re going to take lumps early fleshing out the squad but are betting on long term glory

If we want to keep Bruno/Rashford and some of the other common names while supplementing the squad then Tuchel makes more sense. Tactically flexible and excellent coach. Will certainly install a competent system and raise the floor of the team. Can be a bit of a dickhead and I do worry about the ability for him to integrate some of the brilliant prospects we have coming through.

lsd

The Oracle
Would prefer Kieran but delighted with either

Tarrou

can't understand why people would seriously want McKenna

I'm sure he's got potential but he hasn't eve managed in the PL yet, the lad needs to build up his experience

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
McKenna did most of the coaching here last time, and the poor fecker was chased out!

Infra-red

McKenna has done well in the Championship, but I'd want to see how he'd perform in the Premier League before considering him for the United job. Ineos might feel differently, of course.

Tuchel will probably end up remaining at Bayern now, so won't be among the contenders if EtH is sacked.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
If United are considering Mckenna and have been in contact then, if he agrees, I'm expecting a huge turnover with the playing personal.

stevoc

I'd ideally like to see how McKenna does in the Premier League for a year or two first before I think he's ready for a job the size of United.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
If Mckenna is ETH successor, what are the expectations from the club and fanbase ?
Top 4 ?
Europa League qualification ?

Revan

Assumptionman
Tuchel is a far safer bet.

McKenna is a high risk high reward manager. Most of the managers in similar situation fail. He will probably fail too. But if he succeeds, it would be glorious. Another issue I see with him is that I expect people would give him a far easier time even if he shows to be completely out of his depth.

Heart says McKenna, head says Tuchel. Would be more excited for McKenna, but if I was in charge of United, would have probably gone for Tuchel.

Bertie Wooster

I don't think there's any stand out candidate for us, but they'd probably be my favourite two for different reasons.

Tuchel out of the more proven / experienced managers available. McKenna out of the more inexperienced (at high level) gambles.

Obviously McKenna is still relatively new to first team management, so in that respect he'd be an even bigger gamble than the likes of Potter or De Zerbi. However, timing wise, he's very much on the up and he already knows the club well.

As regards which of the two? My heart says McKenna, but my head says Tuchel as he's as close to an 'elite' level manager that we could realistically get this summer. Though I'm worried that he's on his way down, similar to the likes of Mourinho and Conte, rather than still at his peak. That's probably why we could maybe get him in our current state. But if we can't get an actual 'currently elite' manager this summer, then maybe we should go for one of the up and coming managers on their way up rather than an erstwhile elite one in decline (i.e. the Schweinsteiger / Casemiro's of managers)?

Last edited:

Infra-red

If Mckenna is ETH successor, what are the expectations from the club and fanbase ?
Top 4 ?
Europa League qualification ?
If a relative novice is appointed then it will be a sign that Ineos are looking for long term incremental improvements rather than expecting instant results. I don't think the fans could reasonably set minimum expectations for the next season or two if McKenna was appointed - it would very much be a case of looking to 2026/27 and beyond - a full rebuild with a manager who is learning on the job.

Stinkypete

It was reported that players in this squad referred to Mckenna as nothing more than an academy coach.

He was also lauded behind the scenes by higher ups for his ability in setting up attacking patterns. Attacking patterns that were non existent as coach under Mourinho and Ole.

He would be eaten alive.