McKenna or Tuchel?

In Rainbows

It was reported that players in this squad referred to Mckenna as nothing more than an academy coach.

He was also lauded behind the scenes by higher ups for his ability in setting up attacking patterns. Attacking patterns that were non existent as coach under Mourinho and Ole.

He would be eaten alive.
Yeah, but his assistant coaching (his coaching sessions) had to follow instructions from the manager he was working under. It's not like he could do his own thing. This is what I tried telling people a few years ago. An assistant coach doesn't just get to decide the tactics that facilitate his patterns into being effective. He has to work with what the manager wants first and foremost.

His Chelsea side, though successful, we're just so mind numbingly dull.
This is how I feel too. I've largely felt that we as a fanbase need to start getting to enjoy watching United play. The performances need to get to a certain level, before results are prioritized. Now that does not mean I wouldn't take results above all. But the likelihood of getting the results we want are slim if the performances are crap, making the results unsustainable. All the best sides have great performances leading to great results. Great results with poor performances have a pattern of getting managers sacked 1 or 2 years later.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I'm going to go with Mckenna. I like the risk reward pay off there.

sugar_kane

If somewhere like Brighton or Brentford has a vacancy McKenna should move there first.

That way he doesn’t go straight back down with Ipswich but it’s without the pressure of a mega club.

if he can cut it at one of these clubs I’d love to see him at United, just not yet.

OldSchoolManc

It was reported that players in this squad referred to Mckenna as nothing more than an academy coach.

He was also lauded behind the scenes by higher ups for his ability in setting up attacking patterns. Attacking patterns that were non existent as coach under Mourinho and Ole.

He would be eaten alive.
Unsubstantiated reports with no evidence?
No say in actual management decisions when he was a coach?

But when he was ACTUAL manager of a team for two seasons he gets successive promotions with a very attacking and attractive style?

Which is it? Or are you just wumming?

Someone

Something
Too early for McKenna. Managing United requires a big personality that can handle a big dressing room and the massive pressure from outside. And it's not like he'll be walking into a well run club. There's a massive job ahead and this could really ruin his career. If I were him I wouldn't take it.

Tuchel would be safer but not necessarily inspiring. Could work under the right structure, but I have my doubts.

It's not a great market for us at the moment.

Stinkypete

Unsubstantiated reports with no evidence?
No say in actual management decisions when he was a coach?

But when he was ACTUAL manager of a team for two seasons he gets successive promotions with a very attacking and attractive style?

Which is it? Or are you just wumming?
He had a good tenure in the academy and can coach in the championship. The premier league is a cut above and we should let him manage at this level at Ipswich or Brighton for now.

gajender

If somewhere like Brighton or Brentford has a vacancy McKenna should move there first.

That way he doesn’t go straight back down with Ipswich but it’s without the pressure of a mega club.

if he can cut it at one of these clubs I’d love to see him at United, just not yet.
What's your Thoughts on De Zerbi or Thomas Frank to United .

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
McKenna would be an absolutely crazy punt. The guy has what? Two years of management under his belt, in league 1 and the championship. On face value it’d be utterly mental. But I’d be quite excited about it. Everyone would expect him to fail, but he could come in under a really good structure with tons of experience and leadership around him, and just get on with coaching. He plays a really exciting brand of football and if you are looking for a true three to five year project, he could be terrific for the club.

Normally I’d say that he’d get eaten alive in this job, but I am very optimistic about the leadership and environment Berrada, Brailsford, Ashworth and Wilcox will create and so I think he’d have the right set up to flourish. He’s also a proper coach in that he is used to getting the job done with the players he has. He’s not a chequebook manager.

All that said, if it was your club, with your money on the line…..what would you do? It’s easy to gamble with someone else’s resources. And when I ask myself that question, I can only come up with one answer. I’d take Tuchel as a likely short term appointment (2 years approx) and see how McKenna, Ireola, Frank, De Zerbi and others fair over a larger sample size of seasons. I don’t think it would surprise anyone if Ipswich came up and were exposed as incredibly naive and conceded scores of goals and went right back down.

OldSchoolManc

He had a good tenure in the academy and can coach in the championship. The premier league is a cut above and we should let him manage at this level at Ipswich or Brighton for now.
Fair enough, but I think we may as well take a punt now with the level we’ve sunk to before someone else snaps him up

Stinkypete

Yeah, but his assistant coaching (his coaching sessions) had to follow instructions from the manager he was working under. It's not like he could do his own thing. This is what I tried telling people a few years ago. An assistant coach doesn't just get to decide the tactics that facilitate his patterns into being effective. He has to work with what the manager wants first and foremost.

This is how I feel too. I've largely felt that we as a fanbase need to start getting to enjoy watching United play. The performances need to get to a certain level, before results are prioritized. Now that does not mean I wouldn't take results above all. But the likelihood of getting the results we want are slim if the performances are crap, making the results unsustainable. All the best sides have great performances leading to great results. Great results with poor performances have a pattern of getting managers sacked 1 or 2 years later.
You hire an attacking coach to improve the attack no?

Reiver

We wouldn't usually give a manager of a newly promoted club a second look, let alone a first one. How about we give the Luton boss the job?
Is McKenna's time here so well thought of? Coaching during our worst period in the modern era.

Rockets Redglare

Tuchel. McKenna hasn’t shown he can manage in the top flight at all yet, never mind at a club like United.

Give him a season in the premiership with Ipswich first and then we’ll have a better idea.

Stinkypete

Fair enough, but I think we may as well take a punt now with the level we’ve sunk to before someone else snaps him up
If the United job came knocking for McKenna I am pretty sure he would take it at any point in his career.

But you see this is the thing, it is a massive punt, and we are too big to have a manager learning on the job in my opinion. Referring back to his success at Ipswich, it deserves recognition and I love his style of play, but he will be coming up against very very good managers, some well travelled, others world class but essentially the majority levels above anything he has faced in League 1 and the championship.

I hope he develops into a manager of that level, but he isn't at our level yet.

luke511

McKenna is the fresher, more exciting option. He’s coached the team already so that could save us a lot of time, I don’t think he’ll be learning on the job as much as people think.

Tuchel might have the experience but he’s also been sacked from his last 4 jobs. It feels too reactive to me, a bit like the Mourinho hiring.

Last edited:

Orange Tree

Mckenna will be eaten alive here. A season or two in PL while proving himself will be the best roadmap for him.

luke511

Mckenna will be eaten alive here. A season or two in PL while proving himself will be the best roadmap for him.
Any manager will be eaten alive here if they aren’t smart about it, that’s the same for Tuchel. Tactically I don’t think there’s any concern, if he picks the right teams, rotates properly and makes logical subs like a good manager should, he’ll be fine. This is where Ten Hag has struggled massively, and is the main reason why the fan base has turned on him, it’s been a constant fight against logic.

The main priority is getting the recruitment right, having a hassle-free coach like McKenna is ideal during the incoming transition period.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Tuchel. Let’s see what McKenna can do in the PL for at least a year. If Tuchel can plug some holes in the back and not let others smash it in 30 times a game, that would be good pleasure.

Juicy Juiced

We are not wining league anyway, then at least try something different. And I think Tuchel football is a bit dull and boring.

In Rainbows

You hire an attacking coach to improve the attack no?
But they have to work under the structure of what his manager wants. They're not given free reign. If Mourinho wants to play counter attacking football, McKenna is not going to coach the side to play more possession based football. He has to work around with what Mourinho wants, but at the same time try to improve the attack.

next_number_seven

McKenna 100%.

I've a feeling the club/Ineos approached Iraola because he's done more at a higher level and he said "no, I'm happy at Bournemouth, still developing as a coach etc..", similar to Alonso with Liverpool and signed a contract extension.

Then McKenna is next on the list.

I wonder who's after McKenna if he says no.

Last edited:

In Rainbows

We wouldn't usually give a manager of a newly promoted club a second look, let alone a first one. How about we give the Luton boss the job?
Is McKenna's time here so well thought of? Coaching during our worst period in the modern era.
We wouldn't be giving the job to McKenna just because he got his side promoted. It was due to him being highly regarded as a youth coach, to then getting his League 1 side promoted, and then with basically the same side, got them promoted to the Premier League the next season. Did Luton have that big of a jump?

But even if it was just due to getting promoted to the PL, look at Luton. They had to qualify via the playoff, with 80 points. They only scored 57 goals. McKenna outright got promoted with 96 points, and scored 92 goals in the season.

lex talionis

With Tuchel, we will expect instant success. With McKenna, we will have to be patient over the next 5-6 seasons as he builds something special.

Pscholes18

Feck it, I'd go with McKenna......I like his tactics and I'm sure he will only get better. Why get Tuchel just to keep him for only two seasons?

Tyrion

Obviously. I'm baffled this is a discussion. And if McKenna hadn't been at United before, it wouldn't be.

PSG, Chelsea and Bayern have been messes the last couple of years and Tuchel got PSG to a CL final, Chelsea to a CL trophy and Bayern improved despite not being good enough to beat Leverkusen.

Tyrion

He would be eaten alive.
Considering our players are regularly shown up by the academy players, that may be meant as a compliment.

Seriously though our players opinions should be ignored. They're not good enough and half should be shown the door.

PSV

Since we're onto dices I feel McKenna is a dice that can roll between 1 and 6 while Tuchel is more of a 2 to 5. Bigger ceiling, bigger pit.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Ancelotti: Manager
McKenna : Assistant
Tuchel: Assistant to the assistant

Rojofiam

Feck it, I'd go with McKenna......I like his tactics and I'm sure he will only get better. Why get Tuchel just to keep him for only two seasons?
But I can see that you didn't like "Ole ball"...interesting.

I suspect there will be more and more people on this opinion as McKenna's Ipswich will probably do well in the league next season, not realizing both are heavily similar approaches

Last edited:

Reyoji-Utd

Go for the best available right now, Tuchel. Let him come in, stabilise us, get in top 4 and let the background structure working on the squad.

Is it really his characters at faults with all the sacking like posters said? Im confused, but think should not pin everthing on him, PSG is PSG, they change managers at will, dramas and power play, Chelsea (not much noise when cech and co. still there, only when Bohley in and we know how they are), Bayern (their board management is in a mess the last few years). Can correct if its otherwise. But if he can work with the new structure, then its best possible candidate right now for us.

McKenna young and unproven right now. Best to see him in EPL for a couple years and how he do. Our clubs is in a mess right now and by the looks of it, we will take sometimes to correct things structure wise and squad wise and unless we overhaul everything like Chelsea did, then its no point for him to come in now. Best wait a couple years and its good for both parties.

msjmohd83

not much difference, fans will start to turn on them the moment we're start loosing games.