McTominay is the key!

devips

When he plays in the big matches, we win. When he doesn't, we don't.

Not that he is the most skillful player in the team. But he is our spine, binds us together. With his energy, fight and the never-say-die spirit.

You chose a wrong time to get injured, McTom!

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He’s an alright player, not ‘the key’ for Manchester United by any stretch, outside of the context of ‘if we don’t play him, we’ll have to play Pereira/Matic’. Which of course, is far from where the bar should be.

stepic

If McT is considered the key then no wonder we’re so shite

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He’s a good player but we generally play better with him in the team because he plays well with Fred, having two actual CMs makes a big difference as opposed to shoe-horning Pereira in there, if Fred was the one injured and McTominay fit we’d probably have the same thread just about Fred instead. He’s one of those players who’ll endear himself to fans and would likely be kept around for most of his career as a squad player however if we have aspirations to be at the top of the game again then we’d probably have to look at upgrading.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He’s a good player but we generally play better with him in the team because he plays well with Fred, having two actual CMs makes a big difference as opposed to shoe-horning Pereira in there, if Fred was the one injured and McTominay fit we’d probably have the same thread just about Fred instead. He’s one of those players who’ll endear himself to fans and would likely be kept around for most of his career as a squad player however if we have aspirations to be at the top of the game again then we’d probably have to look at upgrading.
The same was said about Fletcher, Liverpool fans no doubt said the same about Henderson, every team needs a McTominay type, they might not play every week but they're vital first team players to have in the squad and definitely the big games

DoomSlayer

He’s an alright player, not ‘the key’ for Manchester United by any stretch, outside of the context of ‘if we don’t play him, we’ll have to play Pereira/Matic’. Which of course, is far from where the bar should be.
He is a key member right now though. I know you don't rate him very highly and I agree if we want to win the title, he should be a squad player, but right now him, Fred and Pogba is our best midfield and we only have Fred being fit.

Paul_Scholes18

Agree he is a big game player. Him and Fred together has been really good in the big games to win the ball back and protect our defense.

Paul_Scholes18

The same was said about Fletcher, Liverpool fans no doubt said the same about Henderson, every team needs a McTominay type, they might not play every week but they're vital first team players to have in the squad and definitely the big games
Yeah he is the same type. I love that type of hard working midfielder who improves the players around him. People only want to see pretty passes in midfield and have a Xavi or De Bruyne around, but you need other qualities as well to become a great team.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He is a key member right now though. I know you don't rate him very highly and I agree if we want to win the title, he should be a squad player, but right now him, Fred and Pogba is our best midfield and we only have Fred being fit.
Well that can’t be denied. He’s a better option than Pereira and Matic. And tbh, of the midfield you described, the clear difference in class between one and the other two would suggest that Pogba is the ‘key’, if anything.

Last edited:

James Ward

Another "better than average" player but no-where near world class. Be fine if United are happy to settle for a top four spot every season.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Urban Cookie Collection say they've got the key though.

Irrational.

McTominay is a good solid player but nothing special.

The longer he's out the better he'll get. Also known as the Cleverley effect. Soon he'll be prime Iniesta and Xavi rolled into one.

The truth is that McTominay should just be a squad rotation player for us, but it just shows how far we've fallen particularly when players like Lingard are considered good enough.

devips

Pogba is definitely a very important player, and possesses attributes that none of our other midfielders have. But he is not the key to our competitiveness on the field. He is kind of like the icing on the cake. He makes the team look pretty, and contributes something special that you don't get with our other players. But he is not essential to the team. As I said earlier, McTominay, as of now, is our spine, and more vital to the team than Pogba or Fred, notwithstanding the fact that both these players individually are better than McT.

RUCK4444

People wrote off Carrick as average for most of his time here.

McTominay changes the dynamic in our current starting 11, no doubt.

It’s a sad fact but he has more desire and character than any other player in the entire squad.

For that reason alone he would be currently the first name on the team sheet if I were manager.
In much the same way Fletcher was one of the first on SAF’s team sheet when Fletch was in his best period.

This squad is poor, as has been pointed out, but more than anything we lack character, when we concede the first goal (like yesterday) they completely fold.

He might not be the most elegant but he’s what we need right now, you know exactly what you will get from Scott and that’s more than you can say for the rest of the players.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
If he is the key, then we deserve where we are. An upper mid table club.

He is an upcoming young player who is having a promising season. Can we please stop there ?

Dante

Average bang
The OP is right.

McTominay is the key player in giving the formation shape and compactness. Without him, we look much more disjointed.

He might not do anything special, but his ability to press the opposition and shield the ball is all-important in getting the team compact and keeping it compact. Unlike everyone else in the front 6, McTominay doesn't get dispossed easily with the ball at this feet. It's what allows us push up the pitch given our lack of attacking fullbacks and creative midfielders

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I don't think that McTominay is a key player at the moment, we have been and he has been quite poor in some of our loses or absent in some of our good games. I think that today people are overstating his contribution the same way, some overstated Lingard's role 2 years ago. But I do believe that McTominay has the potential to be a Matuidi type of player, he will never be a great passer or the best technician or the best defender from midfield but if he is coached properly, the way Ancelotti did with Matuidi then we can have a genuine box to box someone that is the first helper in all phases and while it's not the sexiest job when you have someone that can provide that, you cherish it.

But it's important to note that McTominay isn't that player yet.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
I just wish his passing was better, then he'd be a very good player.

Dante

Average bang
People are misunderstanding what 'key' means.

The keystone in an arch isn't the piece that spans the furthest distance. It's the one that keeps things held together so that the bigger pieces can do their job.

devips

People are misunderstanding what 'key' means.

The keystone in an arch isn't the piece that spans the furthest distance. It's the one that keeps things held together so that the bigger pieces can do their job.
Exactly. No one would say he is our best player, but he holds the team together.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Exactly. No one would say he is our best player, but he holds the team together.
I disagree with that idea, I think that no one holds the team together and that's one of our biggest issue. But I do believe that he has the tools to become that type of player, that's why I don't want us to put him in a position to succeed and not use him as a DM, he is an all action player someone that can potential ignite things at all levels. I think that a midfield three is where he will shine the most with a DM behind him but that's beside your point.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Mctominay is key to our current side as few of his teammates can match his work ethic, leadership skills and general willingness to perform at his best whenever possible. Put him alongside players who share similarly strong mental traits, such as those from City or Liverpool, and he wouldn't stand out as much.

dove

With Ole as our manager he is definitely the key because otherwise we play Perreira together with Fred as our midfield duo and it will never work in a million years. If we got another midfielder he would be a decent squad option, not key.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Pogba is definitely a very important player, and possesses attributes that none of our other midfielders have. But he is not the key to our competitiveness on the field. He is kind of like the icing on the cake. He makes the team look pretty, and contributes something special that you don't get with our other players. But he is not essential to the team. As I said earlier, McTominay, as of now, is our spine, and more vital to the team than Pogba or Fred, notwithstanding the fact that both these players individually are better than McT.
McTominay isn’t more vital to the team than Fred or Pogba.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
With Ole as our manager he is definitely the key because otherwise we play Perreira together with Fred as our midfield duo and it will never work in a million years. If we got another midfielder he would be a decent squad option, not key.
While true, what does it have to do with Ole as the manager? Would another manager make the likes of Pereira and Matic better players or something?

dove

While true, what does it have to do with Ole as the manager? Would another manager make the likes of Pereira and Matic better players or something?
There are a lot more formations than 4-2-3-1 which doesn't suit us at all since we play Lingard who is beyond useless and Fred-Perreira as 2 midfielders which is just madness. Ole is too naive to see that, other manager might not be.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
There are a lot more formations than 4-2-3-1 which doesn't suit us at all since we play Lingard who is beyond useless and Fred-Perreira as 2 midfielders which is just madness. Ole is too naive to see that, other manager might not be.
Whatever formation we play has to involve a combination of the midfielders we have. And with Pogba injured comes from Scott, Fred, Pereira and Matic. It’s a shallow pool to say the least.

tjb

I think people downplay Mctominay too much. He's not the best passer of the ball, but he has good balance which means that he is actually good at receiving and holding on to the ball. This matched with his ball winning ability means that he is actually a really good ball winner for us. To help him, we need a guy who can take the passing responsibility away from him. But as a piece, he would start for way more teams than he is given credit for.

tjb

The OP is right.

McTominay is the key player in giving the formation shape and compactness. Without him, we look much more disjointed.

He might not do anything special, but his ability to press the opposition and shield the ball is all-important in getting the team compact and keeping it compact. Unlike everyone else in the front 6, McTominay doesn't get dispossed easily with the ball at this feet. It's what allows us push up the pitch given our lack of attacking fullbacks and creative midfielders
I actually think he could be special, but it is difficult to recognize considering where he came from and his skill set. He is a combative box to box midfielder in the mould of ince or a petit. If we can sign a complementary talent who can pass, his creative weaknesses would not be so obvious. Casemiro without Kroos or Modric would not be termed outstanding. Mascherano without Xabi Alonso looked miles off in 2010. He has the height and balance that Herrera lacked in the role, but is not as good of a passer ( even though Herrera was not special himself).

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I think people downplay Mctominay too much. He's not the best passer of the ball, but he has good balance which means that he is actually good at receiving and holding on to the ball. This matched with his ball winning ability means that he is actually a really good ball winner for us. To help him, we need a guy who can take the passing responsibility away from him. But as a piece, he would start for way more teams than he is given credit for.
Not much of that around here tbh.

Heinzesight

Vital player for us, still time to improve parts of his game and is proper United...yet people still slag him off as not good enough. Mind boggling.

Paul_Scholes18

He is vital for us. World class in what he brings. Under a better manager and with better players around him he will get even better.

James Ward

Vital player for us, still time to improve parts of his game and is proper United...yet people still slag him off as not good enough. Mind boggling.
He's good enough to have us finish 6th or 7th, along with a lot of the players. Slightly better than average. A squad player at best. Not Man Utd standard, Sorry to bust your bubble.

We shouldn't settle for mediocre. Should be looking at replacing him.

hurricane thunderclap

He can stay for now as he is a good honest battler , sell pogba and get Bale ,at least he knows where the opposition's goal is. With him galloping upfront and the pace we have in our forwards it would have some impact. He isn't top draw he is just puts in a shift.