McTominay: so rare for a youngster to come through an academy and straight into the PL as ready made

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Ole is very keen to be Fergie 2.0 with likening McTominay to Fletcher and Garner to Carrick, but I think with McTominay it's 50/50 if he makes it here long term, I thought he was good vs Palace but Pogba had to drop in and babysit him today, lets just see how things progress.
Noticed that alright in the second half. Pogba was coming to the half way line at times. Granted Southampton were doing a high press, but it was Andreas and Mctominahs role to show for the ball. Did not help then when Andreas could not retain and recycle the ball other than a 15 minute spell after he scored.

Southampton beat us in MF for most of today, especially the first half. We seemed to play a load of long balls towards Rashford and Lukaku.

Missing Lingarrd as well because he makes runs in between the MF and Defense. That was completely lacking today.

Kostov

He is good and useful when he does keep things simple. As soon as he tries to be something he is not the lack of ability even at 22 is evident. I hope he continues to improve and grabs opportunities when they appear.

Tarrou

I really like him and think he’ll make it here as a squad player

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
McTominay is never going to make it here in a million years. Southampton's midfield absolutely dominated him today, even at home. And they're bottom of the league.

Can you imagine him in a struggling team? Stuff to give you nightmares.

He's completely out of his depth, only reason he's here to begin with is because of Mourinho using him as a pawn against the board.

He'll go the way of Cleverly, Gibson etc if he's lucky...

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I agree that he should be ‘supported anyway’. Obviously. But what does ‘support’ mean? That we should lie to each other on an online forum of our assessment of him? That we should cheer him at the stadium? I’m sure everyone does that, as they absolutely should. Fans watch football, and will have views on whether someone is a good player or not. That’s their right, regardless of who he plays for. I’m genuinely bemused as to why Scott McTominay plays for us. And I suspect most others are too, and those that are not seem to be taking a non-commital position of stopping short of saying he’s a good player.

Maybe all will be revealed in time and he’ll show he’s a top player. As it stands, no idea why he, rather than the many who have gotten one appearance and left (if that) should get a 5 year deal. And Fletcher didn’t turn into a player until later, but I remember his debut, he had a lot more than McTominay and it at least made sense why he was at United. Nobody would have said anything if Scott was released without even getting a debut, as he was not even standing out at youth level. I remember the likes of David Jones, Matty James, Ben Pearson and more all being more impressive than McTominay in the academy and leaving without barely getting a kick. And nobody was particularly fussed. Scott has signed two 5 year deals in the last 2 years. Hopefully we will all soon see why, but he was being targeted by SPL sides and Championship sides for loan just one month ago, at the age of 22 having already made about 30 appearances for us.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
To me that's a flowery way of saying he can't or won't do anything other than the basics, that's celebrating mediocrity.
Hmm, well it's not a thread for a prodigious talent or anything along that line of thought. I just think it has been refreshing and actually quite vital for us that we have a player like him who is able enough to do the job he's doing in a time of need.

I expected us to completely crumble without the triumvirate who have seen us through the majority of our point accumulation. We aren't flowing, nor do we have control of the midfield now, but we are robust and, apart from Pereira, able to hold our own physically. McTominay plays a part in that and in the current situation, take him out of the team, and I think it would be apparent what he brings even if he isn't offensively capable.

I personally wouldn't say it's celebrating mediocrity, rather that it's a relief at the moment to have a player like him who can come in and keep things ticking over at a time when it wouldn't have been a surprise to see us really plummet.

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
Pogba was absolutely wank today, spraying passes out of bounds continually and stropping about the pitch. McTominay was pretty meh today, but Pogba and Sanchez were the ones letting the team down.
Pogba has stepped up since Tom and Perreira have come in as the senior disciplined player carrying a midfield of inexperienced youngsters with very little minutes this season, whilst going in to a run of games that will no doubt prove crucial to where we finish the season.

If you expect him to fulfill that role whilst being the Pogba we've seen since Ole has come in, then we obviously see the game very differently - which is fine.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
To me that's a flowery way of saying he can't or won't do anything other than the basics, that's celebrating mediocrity.
Nobody is celebrating mediocrity. He is a tidy player able to slot in and perform a role. You need those in a squad, you can't have three Verratti's on the bench waiting for a major injury crisis.

You don't expect him to win you the game, just do the job and let the rest of the team (starters) get on with business as usual.

HackeyC

There was a moment when he picked up the ball on the right of midfield, came straight across the halfway line, ignored two forward options and passed it straight back to a defender. Pogba threw his hands up and rightly so. I think he can improve a lot and while relatively tidy, he is currently very conservative. Carrick used to be similar in his early days so I have hope that he can become something more with the right guidance.

Revan

Assumptionman
Why are people pretending that Soton dominated us in midfield? First, even if that was the case, Scott was just 1/3 of midfield today. Second, it wasn't the case, we had 64% of the ball (a good indication of which midfield dominated the other), won the game, created more chances and had 14 shots to their 7.

Pogba had to babysit him at time? So what? Pirlo, Vidal and even Marchision babysitted Pogba on his first two seasons at Juve.

I am far from his biggest fan, but he is a useful player to have. I don't think that he will ever going to be a starter for us, maybe not even a permanent squad player, but he is kind of okayish, and with his salary having him as our 4-6th choice midfielder is hardly the end of the world. If he progresses, he'll play, if not, Garner will take his place in a year or two.

Velvet Revolver

He is a decent squad player. He has now started 3 games in midfield and has done enough to get 2 wins and a draw. People here are talking as though we lost all the games and McTominay scored OG's in all of them.

A 22 year or kid who has come through the ranks and playing in PL. Instead of being happy for him people are hell bent on driving him out of the club!

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Nobody is celebrating mediocrity. He is a tidy player able to slot in and perform a role. You need those in a squad, you can't have three Verratti's on the bench waiting for a major injury crisis.

You don't expect him to win you the game, just do a job and let the rest of the team (starters) get on with business as usual.
No you can't have three Veratti's, but you can have a Kante or a Herrera, a Casemiro or a Busquets; you can have lesser versions of these too. Football has moved beyond having do-a-jobs on the bench, you need players that can positively impact a game, whether that may be defensively or offensively. 'Not fecking up regularly' shouldn't be seen a good trait, it should be seen as a prerequisite, unless a player is incredibly talented in other areas of the game.

Just look at the language I've bolded. Imagine going for a job interview at a FTSE 100 company and using similar language.

JMack1234

I quite like McTominay

He's a hard working and mature player and you always know what you're getting from him. Okay, what your only getting a player who wins the ball then passes it side ways but he's getting better and better at it.

youmeletsfly

He's 22 and playing at DM. What fecking players were godlike at the age of 22 in the DM position in the premier league.

He's not the flashiest player but he's useful and has the right attitude.

At 22 to start a game at DM for Man United means you're going to play a simple game, he'll start taking over games when he's 26-28. Potential is there, he just needs a bit more flair to his game.

I know that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but we seem to be too harsh on our own players at times, myself included. (Pogba, Lukaku, Shaw, Lindelof, Andreas)

ivaldo

Pogba had to babysit him at time? So what? Pirlo, Vidal and even Marchision babysitted Pogba on his first two seasons at Juve.
The difference being Pogba could play a 40 yard pass on the half volley, or shrug off an attacker and plant the ball on in the top corner. When that players greatest trait is he doesn't take risks, then you have to question the level of contribution he can make.

GazTheLegend

You can't polish a turd.

Not saying McTominay is awful but he certainly lacks ability on the ball and isn't the best tackler. But could stay based on his attitude and professionalism.
We talking about the same McTominay that was one of the best players on the pitch against Liverpool are we?

I mean to be fair he ONLY acquitted himself well against one of the best midfield and front lines in Europe including Firmino, Salah, Mane, Henderson, Milner etc etc...

Where’s this vitriol coming from? McTominays game has ascended to another level in the last few weeks. He was average before but he’s improving game by game -hugely-.

HackeyC

Just look at the language I've bolded. Imagine going for a job interview at a FTSE 100 company and using similar language.
I'm not willy waving but do work for a FTSE100 and it's surprising how often you need people with just those qualities. Too many superstars and their egos get in the way and stop things from moving forward.

Dion

Pogba has stepped up since Tom and Perreira have come in as the senior disciplined player carrying a midfield of inexperienced youngsters with very little minutes this season, whilst going in to a run of games that will no doubt prove crucial to where we finish the season.

If you expect him to fulfill that role whilst being the Pogba we've seen since Ole has come in, then we obviously see the game very differently - which is fine.
He's player with (this) inexperienced midfield before. He was just playing turd. It happens, but ot should be acknowledged.

SamVimes

McTominay is never going to make it here in a million years. Southampton's midfield absolutely dominated him today, even at home. And they're bottom of the league.

He's completely out of his depth, only reason he's here to begin with is because of Mourinho using him as a pawn against the board.

Agree totally. He is just not good enough. Nothing wrong with that and I am sure he will have a good career, just not here.

SamVimes

We talking about the same McTominay that was one of the best players on the pitch against Liverpool are we?

I mean to be fair he ONLY acquitted himself well against one of the best midfield and front lines in Europe including Firmino, Salah, Mane, Henderson, Milner etc etc...

Where’s this vitriol coming from? McTominays game has ascended to another level in the last few weeks. He was average before but he’s improving game by game -hugely-.
Are you his Dad? Ascended to another level? Behave

ivaldo

I'm not willy waving but do work for a FTSE100 and it's surprising how often you need people with just those qualities. Too many superstars and their egos get in the way and stop things from moving forward.
You don't need to be a superstar, you don't need to be world class, I haven't said that, but you need to be able to impact a game. That doesn't mean playing the Hollywood ball or bagging a hattrick, it could be winning the ball back regularly or marking a playmaker out of the game, it means when you come away after 90 minutes you can say: this is how the player contributed to our success. I look at McTominay and I can't see what he contributes to the team that isn't seen as the bare minimum.

Scholsey2004

He's definitely starting to look more assured. He's transitioned from being one of the youth players who's getting games to being a genuine first team squad member. Hopefully we can get many years of good service out of him.

manunited1919

He's the exact type of player that Mourinho cultivates. No surprises there. Fair feck to McTominay he's made it look easy recently. It helps that he can just slot into a ready-made role of Matic. Just watch his videos over and over again and copy it out.
He is also the exact type of player that SAF cultivated. I remember seeing a video where SAF is particularly pointing out McT to Mourinho. The kid must have something special if 2 of the best managers the Premier League has ever seen rate him highly.

So you'd like me to lie to you then because he's a man utd youngster? Its an honest assessment of what I see. There's nothing unpalatable or mean in what I've said.

You can literally say that about every single player that walks through the doors at Carrington. So why should McTominay get a chance above and beyond any other youth product, players who have shown significantly more talent than McTominay has up until now?

He's not understated, he's underwhelming. His positioning is decent, but it isn't great. He can have as much experience and confidence as you like, it'll get him nowhere without a good dollop of talent, and thus far, we have seen nothing to suggest his passing will improve (significantly) to be at the standard we require, along with his tackling interceptions, spacial awareness etc. His game needs to improve enormously across a whole host of areas in order for him to ever meet the grade in my opinion. You're blindly hoping that it will. Can that happen? It's possible. Will it happen? That's highly unlikely. If McTominay was at any other premier league club, or championship club, for that matter, I genuinely believe you or anyone else wouldn't look at him twice, but because he's our youngster, you're willing he'll succeed beyond all logical sense.

I wouldn't care if I'm wrong on this regard; I'd love it if he did defy the odds and established himself as a United player, I just can't see it happening.
Saying you can't polish a turd was harsh imo.

When he first broke through he looked decent, a manager of Mourinho's experience saw something in him. Enough to give him a chance, something most youth players don't get close to.

He broke into the first team squad during a time of great upheaval and was caught up in a Mourinho melt down that saw him unfairly shunted into positions he clearly cannot play.

I think he deserves time to develop and playing in his best position, in a team that is playing well is going to help him.

You're right other top clubs wouldn't give him the time of day - but United's traditions mean he will get a proper chance. Plenty of young players have been written off early on but gone on to achieve big things at United. He may do nothing, but I never understand why people are so quick to write off youngsters when United have shown that giving them time often pays off long term

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I thought he had a good game at Palace but today was like other games where he just doesn't do enough and what he does do is very basic.

I think of anything he needs to impose himself and play with more confidence and assurance, as I'm sure he's a better player than he shows some of the time.

Also don't think the system has helped him in the last two home games. He picks up the ball and no team mate outside of the back four is ever anywhere within 50 yards of him.

ReddBalls

Ronaldo was in the process of winning his first Ballon D'or at that age.
And your point is?

No one is expecting McTominay to be a GOAT. He a talented player who might/might not be good enough to be a starter for United when he matures.

Matic was not good enough for Chelsea at 22. When he returned at 26 he was named in the PFA team of the year and won a PL medal.

How many defensive midfielders are bossing it at 22?

ivaldo

Saying you can't polish a turd was harsh imo.

When he first broke through he looked decent, a manager of Mourinho's experience saw something in him. Enough to give him a chance, something most youth players don't get close to.

He broke into the first team squad during a time of great upheaval and was caught up in a Mourinho melt down that saw him unfairly shunted into positions he clearly cannot play.

I think he deserves time to develop and playing in his best position, in a team that is playing well is going to help him.

You're right other top clubs wouldn't give him the time of day - but United's traditions mean he will get a proper chance. Plenty of young players have been written off early on but gone on to achieve big things at United. He may do nothing, but I never understand why people are so quick to write off youngsters when United have shown that giving them time often pays off long term
You seem to have confused me with another poster, I didn’t say that.

I didn’t think he looked decent. He looked like a player that was as shocked as anyone to get a call up. He wasn’t even considered a great prospect at youth level for us. He plays like someone who’s main aim is not to make a mistake.

There needs to be some indication that he will be capable of playing for us in a few years time, blind hope is not enough. If we are going to give youth players chances just because they are academy players then we are doing it all wrong. His talent should dictate whether he gets a chance, nothing else.

Red_toad

Can’t blame a back up player for the other two aside him in midfield. We got dominated as Pogba was poor and the Pereira was none existent until he got moved into the 10 role.
McTommy has improved greatly, you can’t see that, well that’s your issue. Carry on hanging onto the negative Jose vibe you got going on...

quackattack

Why do we need players like this? We don't. Can you imagine any of the United players in a CL finale? (Bar DDG and perhaps Rash).

Red00012

I’d prefer to be looking at him rather than fellaini that’s for sure. But I fear for him in Paris .

POF

He's a good player and a really good option in the squad. His physique is useful and he's a good solid player who will keep things ticking in midfield.

He may improve but I don't think he'll ever be much more than that. Having a reliable player who won't let you down is very useful in the squad.

It's fantastic to see so many academy players around the squad. You can tell (because he almost explicitly says it) that Ole will trust the attitude of a United academy player over a signed player every time.

One other note, McTominay is an example of a late developer who showed no real stand out qualities in the u18s but improved in the u23s and earned his chance. It is such a shame that the club has basically given up at u23 level.