Media Thread

owlo

Amyan's put in the hard yards as well for the channel. Good to see him going solo.
Will be interesting to see if there's a rating jump/change.

Meanwhile Omar jumps in on the above POV.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Its just how stupid society is nowadays. Dredging up things from the past as though folks can't change or evolve.

Who here has not done crap or said shit in the past that they regret or have evolved since? We are looking for the perfect human being, one that has lived perfect lives up to this day especially, in a social media or technologically advanced age where anyone can film anyone, anywhere.

There no allowance for personal growth or learning from the past.

Dr. StrangeHate

Its just how stupid society is nowadays. Dredging up things from the past as though folks can't change or evolve.

Who here has not done crap or said shit in the past that they regret or have evolved since? We are looking for the perfect human being, one that has lived perfect lives up to this day especially, in a social media or technologically advanced age where anyone can film anyone, anywhere.

There no allowance for personal growth or learning from the past.
This is what I was thinking as well. People should be given a chance to apologise and explain that their views have evolved from their past.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
This is what I was thinking as well. People should be given a chance to apologise and explain that their views have evolved from their past.
But also, and of course people have different boundaries and i guess in journalism the feeling of personal integrity is important, however isn't the most important thing for your employer whether you are good at your job or not?

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
But also, and of course people have different boundaries and i guess in journalism the feeling of personal integrity is important, however isn't the most important thing for your employer whether you are good at your job or not?
Medhi is a fantastic interviewer. Sharp as a tack though a tad melodramatic or has the gotcha attitude/persona of the gutter press. And I agree with most of his views.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Further to the Mehdi situation and my suspicion that he was cancelled after his interview of Mark Regev (probably because the Israeli side or one of their US advocacy groups called MSNBC to complain), I just came across this 2012 60 minutes interview when they were doing a story about how Christians are treated in Israel.

At the time Israeli Ambassador to the US Michael Oren, called the head of CBS to complain about the story, even before it had been broadcast. Watch from 37:49

This sort of thing does happen and probably did in this case as well.

This was reinforced by a recent Sam Seder piece where he speculated it was the Regev interview that precipitated the cancellation.

ManUtd1999

Further to the Mehdi situation and my suspicion that he was cancelled after his interview of Mark Regev (probably because the Israeli side or one of their US advocacy groups called MSNBC to complain), I just came across this 2012 60 minutes interview when they were doing a story about how Christians are treated in Israel.

At the time Israeli Ambassador to the US Michael Oren, called the head of CBS to complain about the story, even before it had been broadcast. Watch from 37:49

This sort of thing does happen and probably did in this case as well.

This was reinforced by a recent Sam Seder piece where he speculated it was the Regev interview that precipitated the cancellation.

I was among those who talked, early in this conflict, that Hassan and Ayman are being sidelined. They came back since then, but here you go. One is gone, and let’s see what happens to Ayman.

As an MSNBC viewer, that doesn’t go unnoticed. I want tough questions to be asked of all officials, from Americans to Israelis to Palestinians to others. Canceling a good show this way is not a coincidence.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I was among those who talked, early in this conflict, that Hassan and Ayman are being sidelined. They came back since then, but here you go. One is gone, and let’s see what happens to Ayman.

As an MSNBC viewer, that doesn’t go unnoticed. I want tough questions to be asked of all officials, from Americans to Israelis to Palestinians to others. Canceling a good show this way is not a coincidence.
They weren't purposefully or maliciously sidelined though. Ayman & Medhi's weekend shows were shelved the weekend of 10.7 because of special programming on the massacre. All weekend MSNBC hosts had that happen to them. Ayman was on basically every time slot as a guest. Ali Velshi lost a weekend day (10.8) to travel to Israel iirc to be the on scene talent for a week.

It is a disappointment that Hassan has been supplanted from his weekend spot, but it should be a minimal transition into the slot for Ayman.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

I don't see Ayman or Velshi going anywhere, as they're both considered fairly mainstream. Mehdi on the other hand is known to interrogate guests for that "gotcha" moment, which may work well on shows like Hard Talk and the Intelligence Squared debates, but it generally annoys people in corporate media circles who have advertising considerations to deal with. Unfortunately, I don't think Mehdi would be able to change his style, which is why they moved him to more of a traditional news role.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I'm surprised Steele is still considered a Republican given that his views have virtually no place in today's GOP.
He stubbornly holds on to the label, but you are correct regarding him being a unicorn.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
You obviously don’t listen to Steele that much.

it’s not that much of a lurch.
i don't own a tv, so no i don't.
i see anti-trump republicans online and they're pretty substantially to the right of whatever i've seen of mehdi. a quick glance at his twitter shows a focus on trump, hunter biden hearing nonsense, etc. his only tweet on this conflict is a retweet of a hillary video
sorry but "not that big of a tack to the center" :lol:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
i don't own a tv, so no i don't.
i see anti-trump republicans online and they're pretty substantially to the right of whatever i've seen of mehdi. a quick glance at his twitter shows a focus on trump, hunter biden hearing nonsense, etc. his only tweet on this conflict is a retweet of a hillary video
sorry but "not that big of a tack to the center" :lol:
It’s also not a straight swap, Ayman is taking over Medhi’s spot. Steele is part of a new multi host show; he isn’t even solo. His ‘right wing’ impact on the channel has never been anything approaching substantial & it certainly won’t materialize as such in short order.

But you keep digging, brother! :lol:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It’s also not a straight swap, Ayman is taking over Medhi’s spot. Steele is part of a new multi host show; he isn’t even solo. His ‘right wing’ impact on the channel has never been anything approaching substantial & it certainly won’t materialize as such in short order.

I believe they're actually expanding Ayman's show to two hours. As for Steele, he's probably in the GOP refugee camp, much as the likes of Scarborough, Nicole Wallace, David Jolly, and one or two others.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

i think for many msnbc viewers steele is perfect. as said above in this thread, for their advertisers and execs, hasan going is perfect.
what i don't get is how you can take out clearly the most forceful anti-israel voice in mainstream media and insist that it's business as usual in political orientation.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I believe they're actually expanding Ayman's show to two hours. As for Steele, he's probably in the GOP refugee camp, much as the likes of Scarborough, Nicole Wallace, David Jolly, and one or two others.
Yep. Forgot about the expansion to two hours.

Steele will exactly be like Nicolle Wallace (who just had a baby w/ new-ish Michael Schmidt of the NYT) & Jolly, former flag carrying Repubs who have become more moderate & have assumed important roles with the station.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
i think for many msnbc viewers steele is perfect. as said above in this thread, for their advertisers and execs, hasan going is perfect.
what i don't get is how you can take out clearly the most forceful anti-israel voice in mainstream media and insist that it's business as usual in political orientation.
It’s not a straight swap, either in the actual time slot or person for person. Steele has also been a tier one guest for the channel for a couple of years now. He & his views are fully baked into the MSNBC cake. His on air position will be an extension of his guest hosting slots (which have ramped up significantly in the last six months, his promotion to the majors has been in the works for a while now).

The political orientation of MSNBC might change a couple of degrees, sort of like an ocean liner slightly turning. It’s just not going to be that appreciable.

owlo

Is he just bitter he got his show yeeted, or has he always been this birdbrained? (Yes Stepanik is trash, but that wasn't the point here.)

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Imagine running away from the curvy couch kids because they were too hard hitting of journos...

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I couldn't find a place to put this, so it goes here. Bill Maher is profoundly stupid for someone who has a reputation of being clever.

I can't remember whether he was always like this or whether he's only recently turned into a self important twat.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
I couldn't find a place to put this, so it goes here. Bill Maher is profoundly stupid for someone who has a reputation of being clever.

He has that reputation? Or he wants to give that image?

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Predictable.

He’d be better off returning to Al Jazeera where he can spend all his time criticizing Israel.

Suedesi

They fired him; there's not much more to it. His show was canceled at a time when he was actively voicing support for Palestinian rights within the network. It seems he won't work in mainstream media in the U.S. again.

Oh well, I will cherish the takedown of ChatGpt - that was a memorable episode

RedDevilQuebecois

It may gone under the radar, but this has to be a moronic choice by Don Lemon.

He should have been better off doing an independent podcast rather than grovel in front of the true enemies of (responsible) free speech.

Last edited: