Media Thread

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Sounds like they're trying to get Mehdi cancelled

That’s disappointing as I very much enjoy current day Mehdi.

Hopefully he will be able to play the ‘Joy Reid get out of jail free’ card & remain with MSNBC.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
That’s disappointing as I very much enjoy current day Mehdi.

Hopefully he will be able to play the ‘Joy Reid get out of jail free’ card & remain with MSNBC.
Joy Reid, Kaitlan Collins, and others have been given a pass for stupid things they once said as well.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans

I can remember seeing this some years ago and wondering when and if it might gain traction. I don't watch msnbc though apart from clips people share so i don't really care much

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine

This video (and the messaging behind it) has done the rounds before - (ie groups have tried to get him cancelled). I don't think it worked then and I don't think it'll work now either, as I'm sure the higher ups at MSNBC are aware of it.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
This video (and the messaging behind it) has done the rounds before - (ie groups have tried to get him cancelled). I don't think it worked then and I don't think it'll work now either, as I'm sure the higher ups at MSNBC are aware of it.
Hopefully nothing comes from it.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Hopefully nothing comes from it.
I also don't think the words in the tweet are quite right.

In the second clip, he's not calling homosexuals 'pedophiles', but Yazid (and I'm assuming he's talking about Yazid bin Muawiyah). He's levelling all of those names at Yazid. It's basically a look in the rear mirror of the sectarian rhetoric he probably involved himself in when he was an imam.

I've just been on his Wiki page and it says this about the first clip:

During a sermon delivered in 2009,[71] quoting a verse of the Quran, Hasan used the terms "cattle" and "people of no intelligence" to describe non-believers. In another sermon, he used the term "animals" to describe non-Muslims.[72][73]

In response to criticism for his remarks, Hasan wrote in his New Statesman blog: "The Quranic phrase 'people of no intelligence' simply and narrowly refers to the fact that Muslims regard their views on God as the only intellectually tenable position, just as atheists (like Richard Dawkins or Sam Harris) regard believers as fundamentally irrational and, even, mentally deficient."[74] Hasan returned to this issue in August 2012 following criticism from the columnist Peter Hitchens, stating that "the entire 45-minute speech is primarily an attack on Muslim extremists who try and justify violence against non-Muslims on an 'ends justify the means' basis", but noted of his 2009 comments that his "phraseology was ill-judged, ill-advised and, even, inappropriate".[75]
There's no mention about the second clip (and I'd imagine because of the reason I outlined above).

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I also don't think the words in the tweet are quite right.

In the second clip, he's not calling homosexuals 'pedophiles', but Yazid (and I'm assuming he's talking about Yazid bin Muawiyah). He's levelling all of those names at Yazid. It's basically a look in the rear mirror of the sectarian rhetoric he probably involved himself in when he was an imam.

I've just been on his Wiki page and it says this about the first clip:

There's no mention about the second clip (and I'd imagine because of the reason I outlined above).
Good to hear.

RedDevilQuebecois

Yikes. What the hell was Mehdi even thinking?

But if MSNBC really wants to properly replace him, they sure can't go with someone meek just like CNN did after Cuomo and Lemon were fired. They better find someone who will be as aggressive as Mehdi was in not letting liars get off the hook.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

But if MSNBC really wants to properly replace him, they sure can't go with someone meek just like CNN did after Cuomo and Lemon were fired. They better find someone who will be as aggressive as Mehdi was in not letting liars get off the hook.
About what?

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Its bizarre given the controversial video was made about 15 years ago and has long been known about on social media, so its a bit odd that he's being cancelled now - when the Israel-Hamas situation is front and center.

Dr. StrangeHate

Its bizarre given the controversial video was made about 15 years ago and has long been known about on social media, so its a bit odd that he's being cancelled now - when the Israel-Hamas situation is front and center.
Isn't that exactly the reason for cancellation.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
That's insane, he's great. It can't be about those comments, surely?

Also, that Benny tweeter is a f*cking right wing troll, and what the hell is 'Media ITE'?

RedDevilQuebecois

In any case, I'm sure that I'm losing interest in news channels with the lot of hard-hitting TV hosts losing their jobs in recent years. In the age of Trump, the alt-right, disinformation, foreign influence and so on, the media cannot send lightweights like Kaitlyn Collins to set the record straight in primetime hours.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
This guy has been going after Mehdi hard over the past few days. First the original old video, now this, even after he's been cancelled.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

Also, that Benny tweeter is a f*cking right wing troll, and what the hell is 'Media ITE'?
Dan Abrams' news site covering politics. Been around a minute. Nothing nefarious about it as far as I know.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Forget about Benny. Its actually a trending twitter topic at the moment

Seeing those comments years ago, I was wondering when it was going to back to bite him. Only seemed like a question of when have the goalposts moved enough so that it's more convenient to take him down :lol:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Seeing those comments years ago, I was wondering when it was going to back to bite him. Only seemed like a question of when have the goalposts moved enough to that it's more convenient to take him down :lol:
I like watching Mehdi from time to time. He's a bit theatrical and agenda driven, but his shows are always entertaining.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
What did Kaitlan Collins say?
Fortunately for her, she didn't say anything favorable to Palestinians.

CNN reporter Kaitlan Collins has apologized for using gay slurs in tweets that resurfaced Sunday.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/t...lins-apologizes-gay-slurs-old-tweets-1150059/

In the tweets, from 2011, Collins used the word “fag” in response to another tweet and also tweeted to another user that she didn’t know “if I wanna room with a lesbian.”

Collins tweeted Sunday night that the messages were sent while she was in college and that she regretted being “immature.”

“When I was in college, I used ignorant language in a few tweets to my friends,” Collins tweeted.” It was immature but it doesn’t represent the way I feel at all. I regret it and apologize.”

I like watching Mehdi from time to time. He's a bit theatrical and agenda driven, but his shows are always entertaining.
Has he by any chance been particularly on fire recently when it comes to Israel-Palestine? I've never seen his show, but if he's been harping on about that I can imagine why some are suddenly looking to give another go at smearing him.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Has he by any chance been particularly on fire recently when it comes to Israel-Palestine? I've never seen his show, but if he's been harping on about that I can imagine why some are suddenly looking to give another go at smearing him.
My suspicion is the interview he did with Mark Regev a couple of weeks ago probably resulted in Regev complaining behind the scenes, which in turn probably resulted in pro-Israel influencers starting a campaign to raise the old Mehdi video, which culminated in this. Can't prove any of it of course, but the way the Regev interview went, I wouldn't be surprised if that was in some way a catalyst to where we are. today.

Drifter

American
He was cancelled because of the current situation with Israel and Hamas. Not the only one that has been silenced.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
He's been grilling Israeli officials and questioning their version of what's happening in Gaza for weeks.

In the western democracies, especially right now, that's not something you can do without (dearly) paying for it. It's not specific to the US, there's been an extraordinary state coordinated effort in the West to silence anyone publicly objecting to what Israel's been doing in the occupied territories, and what you're seeing now is one of its most hypocritical and abject forms. KGB or Stasi style, with the small difference being that people aren't killed or thrown in jail or out a window. Why do that when you just can cancel them, thus depriving them from any means to reach any large public? The result is the same and you can keep up appearances.

There's something truly astounding and utterly frightening happening right now without anyone batting an eyelid.

Last edited:

owlo

In any case, I'm sure that I'm losing interest in news channels with the lot of hard-hitting TV hosts losing their jobs in recent years. In the age of Trump, the alt-right, disinformation, foreign influence and so on, the media cannot send lightweights like Kaitlyn Collins to set the record straight in primetime hours.
Kaitlan Collins isn’t that bad.

He's been grilling Israeli officials and questioning their version of what's happening in Gaza for weeks.

In the western democracies, especially right now, that's not something you can do without (dearly) paying for it. It's not specific to the US, there's been an extraordinary state coordinated effort in the West to silence anyone publicly objecting to what Israel's been doing in the occupied territories, and what you're seeing now is one of its most hypocritical and abject forms. KGB or Stasi style, with the small difference being that people aren't killed or thrown in jail or out a window. Why do that when you just can cancel them, thus depriving them from any means to reach any large public? The result is the same and you can keep up appearances.
I don't think this is true; it's a case of you see something happening and attributing causation when there is none. He is still employed by MSNBC so will still be able to give his views, but they have sidelined him after his refusal to call the terrorists on 10/7 terrorists etc, have lost them a bunch of viewship, and his ratings are crap. He's also handing over to Mohyeldin, who isn't exactly a pro Israel shill.

His shows cancellation has seen the typical lightning rod you'd expect from the crowd you'd expect, but it's not a conspiracy.

MSNBC has a potential material interest in moderating its image. It’s currently behind CNN in the weekend ratings, and Hasan’s comments could open it up to the threat of advertiser boycotts. Possibly in recognition of this fact, the network also announced a new weekend ensemble show featuring former RNC chairman Michael Steele — possibly a sign that the network wants to tack to the centre as the election approaches.

It is worth noting, however, that MSNBC did not fire Hasan. He will still give his opinions on the network, and his time slot will be given to another Pro-Palestine host. This isn’t even unprecedented for MSNBC. It fired firebrand host Tiffany Cross before the 2022 midterms, and then spent the entire midterm cycle catastrophising about Republican extremism.
https://unherd.com/thepost/why-msnbc-cancelled-mehdi-hasans-show/

Here's some actual good "anti-Israel" reporting for you, and the reporter is just fine: https://www.972mag.com/mass-assassination-factory-israel-calculated-bombing-gaza/

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Kaitlan Collins isn’t that bad.

I don't think this is true; it's a case of you see something happening and attributing causation when there is none. He is still employed by MSNBC so will still be able to give his views, but they have sidelined him after his refusal to call the terrorists on 10/7 terrorists etc, have lost them a bunch of viewship, and his ratings are crap. He's also handing over to Mohyeldin, who isn't exactly a pro Israel shill.

His shows cancellation has seen the typical lightning rod you'd expect from the crowd you'd expect, but it's not a conspiracy.

MSNBC has a potential material interest in moderating its image. It’s currently behind CNN in the weekend ratings, and Hasan’s comments could open it up to the threat of advertiser boycotts. Possibly in recognition of this fact, the network also announced a new weekend ensemble show featuring former RNC chairman Michael Steele — possibly a sign that the network wants to tack to the centre as the election approaches.

It is worth noting, however, that MSNBC did not fire Hasan. He will still give his opinions on the network, and his time slot will be given to another Pro-Palestine host. This isn’t even unprecedented for MSNBC. It fired firebrand host Tiffany Cross before the 2022 midterms, and then spent the entire midterm cycle catastrophising about Republican extremism.
https://unherd.com/thepost/why-msnbc-cancelled-mehdi-hasans-show/

Here's some actual good "anti-Israel" reporting for you, and the reporter is just fine: https://www.972mag.com/mass-assassination-factory-israel-calculated-bombing-gaza/
Michael Steele getting a time slot is not that big of a tack to the center & he has put in the time covering for vacationing hosts across the time slots. He was in the on deck circle for a while.

Weird how CNN beats MSNBC on the weekend when CNN is decidedly third during the week. Not sure what the allure is.

Who's getting Medhi's slot, Ayman?

owlo

Michael Steele getting a time slot is not that big of a tack to the center & he has put in the time covering for vacationing hosts across the time slots. He was in the on deck circle for a while.

Weird how CNN beats MSNBC on the weekend when CNN is decidedly third during the week. Not sure what the allure is.

Who's getting Medhi's slot, Ayman?
Aye, Ayman Mohyeldin. Quite weird how fox have rocketed lately too.