Memphis Depay 2.0 as no. 9

HackeyC

So far the returnees are Pogba, which failed, and Ronaldo, which failed. I am pretty sure third time will not be a charm.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
I hope this isn't another case of filloshophy talking, he's mediocre but there aren't other immediate options out there.

Drizzle

Think people are confusing what's our ideal new striker, and what's a reasonable short term option for January.

Obviously we need top quality to replace CR7 but that ain't happening in Jan. There are few better available short term options in January than Depay.

And Gakpo can't immediately come into a new league and immediately transition to number 9 (if he ever can), so he's not a replacement either.

crossy1686

career ending
Think people are confusing what's our ideal new striker, and what's a reasonable short term option for January.

Obviously we need top quality to replace CR7 but that ain't happening in Jan. There are few better available short term options in January than Depay.

And Gakpo can't immediately come into a new league and immediately transition to number 9 (if he ever can), so he's not a replacement either.
Depay definitely can’t do it, Gakpo might be able to do it at some point. Why waste the time and money on Depay who will almost certainly have to be moved on in 12 months but we won’t be able to because his salary is too high?

Red Pumpkin

Supports
Bayern Munchen
12 goals and 2 assists in 28 la liga games last year doesn't sound terrible to me.
I watched some games. Was their best player for a while. Then politics happened with trainer getting fired and so on. He has a bad rep from his youth but he has improved

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
He only has to score more than 1 from open play to be a net positive on Ronaldo.
The bar hasnt been set very high to overtake 2nd season Ronnie here, that's for sure!

If we could do a Suarez/Liverpool style January signing then that would be beautiful. Depay will never be that

Strootman's Finger

Loan him from Jan till Jun, assess the situation in the summer, which may be him if he proves himself, if he doesn't, no harm no foul, his wages will be fraction of Ronaldo's, so nothing lost. It's a no brainer.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I’d only take him as I don’t trust the club to get any better in Jan

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Probably as we had Ronaldo on the books. Now we don't.
Sounds right, just thought United scouted a bit more to present time and perhaps there are other options. Link with Sesko made some sense, the young lad scored 7 goals this season for Salzburg and could be more coming.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I’d only take him as I don’t trust the club to get any better in Jan
But this just perpetuates the problem. Yet Another fecking stop gap from Falcao to Depay. Maybe he initially scores a few goals. We then stick while season after season the best young talents go elsewhere. Discard/realise player isn’t fit for purpose mid season and around we go again. Just use the youth players if Martial and Rashford are injured or tired and sign someone long term in the summer.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
But this just perpetuates the problem. Yet Another fecking stop gap from Falcao to Depay. Maybe he initially scores a few goals. We then stick while season after season the best young talents go elsewhere. Discard/realise player isn’t fit for purpose mid season and around we go again. Just use the youth players if Martial and Rashford are injured or tired and sign someone long term in the summer.
I’d rather not write the season off with chucking youth players in to be honest, we can still achieve something this season with a capable striker.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Sounds right, just thought United scouted a bit more to present time and perhaps there are other options. Link with Sesko made some sense, the young lad scored 7 goals this season for Salzburg and could be more coming.
He's already going to Leipzig in the summer, they pre agreed that deal last summer. Reality is January is a hard window to shop in, nobody worth going for as a key player is available for a reasonable fee, so you have to take a bit of a punt or wildly overspend (which we can't, given we did that in the summer). Guys like Felix, Osimhen are probably are main options... But they aren't possible now, so for a half year/1.5 year stop gap to rotate with Martial, guys like Memphis and Morata would be easily my top 2 and fit what Ten Hag wants and needs.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
There are no youth players worth playing as a striker. It's just dumb negligence to ignore a position in dire need where there's a logical stop gap solution, just because you don't want a stop gap. It's not like we'd be spending big on him. It will be a massive improvement on Ronaldo so why not?

CallyRed

I had a pretty good laugh in the 12 milliseconds it took from when I finished the word Yes and glanced done and saw the word Just. Thanks, made my Friday.
That's good. Thanks for taking time out of your day to comment. That's made my day.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
He's already going to Leipzig in the summer, they pre agreed that deal last summer. Reality is January is a hard window to shop in, nobody worth going for as a key player is available for a reasonable fee, so you have to take a bit of a punt or wildly overspend (which we can't, given we did that in the summer). Guys like Felix, Osimhen are probably are main options... But they aren't possible now, so for a half year/1.5 year stop gap to rotate with Martial, guys like Memphis and Morata would be easily my top 2 and fit what Ten Hag wants and needs.
I hear ya. If Rashford gets injured, Memphis can play both his favourite roles (LW, ST), think a short loan wouldn't be that harmful, even to Garnacho who definitely will get games, even if Ronaldo was staying. I still have some doubts about Memphis and his mentality.

Felix, Ohsimen or even Kudus are in perfect age to make a move. EtH could easily prefer that type of younger options to add similar things to what Garnacho adds recently to the team.

Having options on the market is great, but this time we need to sign smart and be hopefully faster than opponents.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Loan for six months. Takes costs of Barcelona's books and gives United a stopgap solution (assuming no better options are available/attainable) while continuing to look for a more permanent solution.

Bogga

Just saw him get outpaced easily and remembered I really hated that when he played as a winger for us... he's really slow

SungSam7

The amount saying no to Depay are the same guys saying no to Elanga. We must build our squad depth somewhere. We can't go out and buy 10 superstars, there has to be some flexibility. How many here would prefer we blow our whole budget on one player rather than filling the team with useful players while also building an all round unit?

Reactions: Crackers

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He’s too slow for an elite team or a team wanting to be an elite team.