Memphis Depay | Atletico player

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Would be interesting to see him in a 'proper' league again. I assume given how well he's been doing, he'll get nabbed by someone. Never had the pace to make in the prem imo, but could see him doing really well in a more technical league.

el3mel

Thing is Lukaku has never been a target man. He lacks the hold up play required. That’s why 3/4 of the Caf currently hate him, as he’s being wrongly used.
Personally seen nothing in Depays game that would point to him being a real top class player. Wish he’d gone to Liverpool way back when...
To play for a top team you will be facing parked buses all the time. He won't find much spaces to run channels if that what you mean. Playing for a top team requires ability to play with your back to goal and having good touch in tight situations and under pressure, because you'll spend most of time under pressure of defenders. At Everton he was finding loads of space to burn pace into, not anymore at any big club. Spaces are very tight and regardless of him being targetman or not, he will need to play with his back to goal and controlling the ball under pressure all the time. He's terrible in both.

It's not him being wrongly used. It's that he proved he's not good enough for the level of big clubs, as simple as that.

I'm not much convinced with Depay but I'm very open in giving him another chance. Not gonna be any worse than Lukaku imo, so worth a shot.

MacabbiUnited

Supports
Maccabi Tel Aviv - Israel
Depay was was a bad player in a bad team with a bad coach. That 2nd LVG season was a disaster all around, and I believe we went like 8 games without a win scoring like 3 goals in the process.
He was never going to be the player that makes the difference between a mediocare team and a top team, not at that age anyway, despite being touted as the Next Ronaldo.

I think he has talent, he is technical and fast and he has his moments of class, and if its true that he has a buy back claw of 35M, buying him back and testing him for a year wouldnt be a bad option. I like the player despite his behavior issues, he is the difference maker for Holland this days after years of them being shadow of themsevles.

Maybe next year, with a technical coach who actually plays football, he could shine for us.

Stacks

Playing like a top striker. Can't believe it really.
Very impressive performance from Depay again tonight. He oozes class and he is nigh-on unplayable when he has that air of arrogance about him. I can’t see him staying at Lyon for too much longer. His attitude appears to have turned a total 180° and he is blossoming into an excellent central attacker.
186minutes per goal in the league. The superlatives are exagerated to new heights. Memphis needs only to do a backheel and people shouting "bring him back". Is he even the best player in ligue 1? At Lyon even?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
186minutes per goal in the league. The superlatives are exagerated to new heights. Memphis needs only to do a backheel and people shouting "bring him back". Is he even the best player in ligue 1? At Lyon even?
Harsh given Ligue 1 had Neymar and Mbappe :lol:

But yeah, he looks better just unsure on how great he is until he hits form in a major league. I agree there.

Monkers

If you count goals+assists than he's number 1 in lique 1 for 2018, and number 4 in the top 5 leagues.

NotQuiteManc

Getting better, but not quite there yet for a United comeback. Not sure how to describe it, but he just lacks the intensity. It is quite well known he has decent FK and shot in him, but lacking the instinct to finish like other strikers e.g. Icardi. Hence, I think it would be better for him to develop that skill in France first.

izec

He would be a good squad option to be fair, 35m. But if we dont play him as a starter, his confidence will go downhill

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Harsh given Ligue 1 had Neymar and Mbappe :lol:

But yeah, he looks better just unsure on how great he is until he hits form in a major league. I agree there.
At Lyon, probably right now since Fekir was injured. Implying that a player has to be the best in Ligue 1 to be brought back to PL is a bit ridiculous though, I don't need to remind you that Ligue 1 has always been a great provider of huge talents (and legends) for PL, even of they weren't the best in ligue 1 at the time (Kante being the last).

Bloedrood

Depay's game against Portugal for the Dutch national team back in march has proven to be crucial. It was the first game where he started as a striker, and he played really well. Because of that game Lyon's manager started playing him as a striker too. And he suddenly scored 6 goals in 5 games for Lyon. Depay was kind of lucky he ended up in that position in the first place, the Netherlands simply lacked a decent striker besides Bas Dost who didn't fit the style of play. I think Koeman is very good at managing Depay, it's obvious to me Depay has been more consistent since then for the national team than he's been for Lyon. But it's probably also tougher to manage Depay day to day at a club than it is for those few days at the national team. He's bad at handling criticism, not as confident as he tries to act. His arrogance is just a front in my opinion. He's a complicated guy who had a tough childhood. Very different from Van Dijk for example, who's more of a model professional, Koeman constantly criticises him but Van Dijk is ok with that because he knows it's to make him better. If Koeman would do that to Depay it would be very counterproductive. But Depay does seem to be maturing, my biggest question mark is if he can be more consistent at club level, especially in a better competition, I don't question his talent. But players hit rough patches sometimes, and maybe not always get along well with managers, and that type of stuff seems to affect his confidence more than I'd like to see with a top player.

Last edited:

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
In the right environment and with confidence he can be a top player. It seems hard to manage him though. Can't see him coming back to England. Too much spotlight. He's probably best off staying at Lyon. Maybe a bit similar to Ben Arfa.

Monkers

In the right environment and with confidence he can be a top player. It seems hard to manage him though. Can't see him coming back to England. Too much spotlight. He's probably best off staying at Lyon. Maybe a bit similar to Ben Arfa.
Sadly he will never be seen as a top player if he stays at Lyon, he needs to do it in England or Spain. He has better stats than everyone in lique 1 in 2018 but is still seen as a failure and farmer. I hope to see him in Spain or England soon. (he is still inconsistence, that is his biggest problem)

the chameleon

Let's not get too excited. He's good (nothing great) in the French League. But we've already signed him once and he wasn't the right fit. I think we need mentally stronger players to build the team around. He could turn out to be top player, but there are better players than him.

I fear with the buyback clause and a few excited / knee-jerk fans talking on Twitter - Woodward might activate the clause to keep fans quiet. It would just be another papering over the cracks type of move.

Canagel

Let's not get too excited. He's good (nothing great) in the French League. But we've already signed him once and he wasn't the right fit. I think we need mentally stronger players to build the team around. He could turn out to be top player, but there are better players than him.

I fear with the buyback clause and a few excited / knee-jerk fans talking on Twitter - Woodward might activate the clause to keep fans quiet. It would just be another papering over the cracks type of move.
And he has no reason to join us either.
Why would he? His career has got back on track since he left United.
He wasnt the first signing to struggle here and he isn't the last.

manunited1919

We should bring back Memphis, and at the same time send Rashford to them either as a loan or as a sale with buyback option. I would much rather see Memphis coming in as a striker instead of Rashford.

If only we had a director of football.

Shark

@NotShark
We dont attack so he would struggle here again.
I honestly don’t buy this. How does any talented player establish himself then? Even Ronaldo once had to play in a shite Sporting side when he was 17. If you can’t come to United and stand out, you don’t belong here no matter what football we play. Memphis wasn’t good enough, why the feck would anyone bring him back, I don’t know.

Bobski

I think if you make Memphis your main man he can be very productive. However at a top club there is probably always going to be a better player who will want that role. In that situation can Memphis adapt his game and play more of a support/creator role? That will be his challenge, not surprised how well he has done for Lyon, his numbers in Holland were very impressive as well.

Zoo

Good to see him doing well. I hated the way the English media treated him.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
If Lukaku was banging goals in for Lyon and doing what he does internationally for Belgium, he'd suddenly have a buzz too.

Not saying we aren't in need of a striker but we need one a level above Lukaku, not someone who is still proving himself.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
If Lukaku was banging goals in for Lyon and doing what he does internationally for Belgium, he'd suddenly have a buzz too.

Not saying we aren't in need of a striker but we need one a level above Lukaku, not someone who is still proving himself.
He's still also not very strong mentally. A confident Memphis in a well playing team can be truly devastating, but when the going get's tough his body language changes completely and his ability plummets.

Honestly, he acts like a tough guy, but in order to perform, he needs to valued, even loved. His life seems to be an endless quest for recognition and respect.

And damnit, I really want to love him and see him grow into an amazing player, but he's just such a selfimportant little twat. arrrrgh.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's worth mentioning that he is still extremely inconsistent in Ligue 1, the positive sign is that his high are getting higher, now he needs to elevate his floor.

youmeletsfly

I honestly don’t buy this. How does any talented player establish himself then? Even Ronaldo once had to play in a shite Sporting side when he was 17. If you can’t come to United and stand out, you don’t belong here no matter what football we play. Memphis wasn’t good enough, why the feck would anyone bring him back, I don’t know.
1. Ronaldo didn t play that much. He was given minutes here and there by Ladislau Boloni because he knew him since he was 12-13 years old. Had around 20 apps but low number of overall minutes.

2. That team was obviously not shi7, average to inconsistent, but not shi7. They had Beto, Bento, Jardel, Quaresma, Marius Niculae. One season before they finished 3rd and won the cup(might be wrong on the cup). And that season they were bad, but not shit. Just Benfica and Porto had much better teams at that moment.

That team would still run over any team outside of the top5 in EPL at that time.

In regards to Depay:
- played in NL in an offensive team - was scoring and assisting for fun
- plays in France - same fecking thing
- played for United, turned to instant shi7.(don t feed me the EPL is harder shi7, that was back in 1996)
I think you see the pattern here. It is not like the same thing happened to DiMaria ,Lukaku and even Pogba to a small degree.

Players like him need at least a fast team, one that breaks quickly, if not a full force atracking one. We are so so slow with no movement up top, Bring him back and he will be dogshit again.

lsd

The Oracle
He will be dogshit again because he isn't that good , it's nothing to do with the pace of the team or anything else . The guy was just overrated

You don't play great against poor teams and rubbish against good teams because of the pace of the team you are in or the league .

You do that because that's your level .

I wouldn't want Depay back if we received money as well to take him back .

Zaha on the other hand though yes please

Stacks

He's still also not very strong mentally. A confident Memphis in a well playing team can be truly devastating, but when the going get's tough his body language changes completely and his ability plummets.

Honestly, he acts like a tough guy, but in order to perform, he needs to valued, even loved. His life seems to be an endless quest for recognition and respect.

And damnit, I really want to love him and see him grow into an amazing player, but he's just such a selfimportant little twat. arrrrgh.
I'm not gonna lie, as an instagram follower of his, he has some very catchy garments

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
He will be dogshit again because he isn't that good , it's nothing to do with the pace of the team or anything else . The guy was just overrated

You don't play great against poor teams and rubbish against good teams because of the pace of the team you are in or the league .

Always injured, no thanks.

Wouldn't want either, especially with the English tax on Zaha.

Mcking

You just talked down Depay and proceeded to big up Zaha.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
This Zaha is the guy from Palace right? Or is there another ex United Zaha who's a great player?:confused:

lex talionis

Take a pass. Depay might prove everyone wrong and go on to great things at the next level, but it's too great a risk to bring back a proven disaster.

Stacks

1. Ronaldo didn t play that much. He was given minutes here and there by Ladislau Boloni because he knew him since he was 12-13 years old. Had around 20 apps but low number of overall minutes.

2. That team was obviously not shi7, average to inconsistent, but not shi7. They had Beto, Bento, Jardel, Quaresma, Marius Niculae. One season before they finished 3rd and won the cup(might be wrong on the cup). And that season they were bad, but not shit. Just Benfica and Porto had much better teams at that moment.

That team would still run over any team outside of the top5 in EPL at that time.

In regards to Depay:
- played in NL in an offensive team - was scoring and assisting for fun
- plays in France - same fecking thing
- played for United, turned to instant shi7.(don t feed me the EPL is harder shi7, that was back in 1996)
I think you see the pattern here. It is not like the same thing happened to DiMaria ,Lukaku and even Pogba to a small degree.

Players like him need at least a fast team, one that breaks quickly, if not a full force atracking one. We are so so slow with no movement up top, Bring him back and he will be dogshit again.
Where to start with this. Yes the EPL is harder mate. There is 1 French team in the top 20 by coefficient compared with 4 English. By performance in European competition (the fairest barometer) England is on 70.320 compared to France's 53.165 (barely above Russia). next minute you'l be telling us the EPL isn't tougher than the Russian league.
As for the great attacking team of Lyon. They have scored 3 more league goals than United having played one league game more and average a whopping 3 more extra shots on goal per game in their "easier" league, than Man Utd do.
think I see the pattern here.
  1. Memphis is a decent player who will flourish at a lower standard and has done all his career.
  2. dropping down to lower competition does wonders for a players stats.
  3. fans get gassed whilst ignoring the obvious

Fredo

You broke my heart!
Great turnaround by Memphis, happy to see him back in form again. 35M for a young player? That wouldn't be so bad, we paid 75 million for a pole, I think we can make use of him for squad depth for that amount of money.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

If you’re familiar with his upbringing you don’t need to be Sigmund Freud to work out why that is.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Great turnaround by Memphis, happy to see him back in form again. 35M for a young player? That wouldn't be so bad, we paid 75 million for a pole, I think we can make use of him for squad depth for that amount of money.
You can be sure that Depay will cost much more than 35M if we're interested.