Memphis Depay | Atletico player

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I haven’t watched enough of him at Lyon but from the little I have watched, it’s seemed much of the same from Depay that he’s showed at United - not quite good enough for a top club but can still put in the performances for a good club.

From the little I’ve seen of him, he’s still relatively poor in the biggest matches. Sort of like how he shone for us in the Europa but struggled with the pace of the EPL. Maybe his style is just more suited for a less intense league.

Graveyard

So basically he is just a good player who has occasional streaks of form which fans attribute to the "right tactics"
A bit like pogba who is one of the best midfielders only in certain systems.

lsd

The Oracle
If we have a buy back on Depay we should use it . His form since he left has just gotten better and better .

We clearly signed him too soon .

el3mel

If we have a buy back on Depay we should use it . His form since he left has just gotten better and better .

He's actually terrible with Lyon this season looking at his stats. 8 goals in 37 matches only. Different beast with Netherlands though, but not the first time to see a player being underwhelming on club level and good whenever called for the national team.

Bwuk

He’d be class here nowadays. The talent was always there, anyone who thought he was untalented doesn’t understand football. He made the right move moving to get regular game time.

Memphis upfront with Rashford, Martial & Sancho wide.

TheReligion

Abusive
He's actually terrible with Lyon this season looking at his stats. 8 goals in 37 matches only. Different beast with Netherlands though, but not the first time to see a player being underwhelming on club level and good whenever called for the national team.
Reminds me of Milan Baros

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Van der Vaart was exactly on point. A confident Memphis who feels he's the most important player in the team can be amazing. He needs a shiteload of confidence and love and encouragement from both his trainer and his teammates to be the best he can be. That's why he will never be world class consistently.

On form and with some confidence however, he is an absolute joy to watch.

sherrinford

The Lyon games I’ve seen this season he looks the same player, operating from the same wide left position. I believe he played up front earlier this term and that was when he looked to have improved. Similarly, he tends to play as a forward rather than a wide man for his national team and tends to excel there. Even when he played for us, he looked bright in pre-season playing centrally with Rooney, and after settling into a left wing role the positive features of his play generally involved playing with his back to goal, holding the ball up and bringing others into play, or turning out of pressure. He seemed capable of a nice piece of skill but lacked explosiveness. I don’t think he’s changed much really, he just often gets played out of position.

Canagel

Depay+Sancho. offload Mata/Sanchez.

Sancho, Depay, Martial, Rashford, Lingard, Lukaku?​

El Jefe

I'm gonna go ahead and say it. Memphis is a better player than both Martial and Rashford.

He can do everything they can do but better IMO. He just lacks the extra yard of pace they have.

Canagel

we could have a solution for every position.
RW/RF: Sancho, Rashford, Lukaku
False 9/ST: Depay, Lingard, Sancho
pure 9: Rashford, Lukaku, Martial
LW: Martial, Sancho, Depay

basically the possibilities are endless as each player can play in at least two positions except for Lingard.

additionally if Sancho got injured for example we cojld just ditch RW complety and switch to a two striker formation plus wingbacks and pick between Depay, Martial, Rashford, Lukaku. we could rival Cities strikeforce then.

Last edited:

Nick.

Memphis was one of the worst players I've ever seen in a United shirt. I don't care how good he does in France, don't bring him back.

haram

He needs Fekir to leave. Last year he had his rise when Fekir was injured. With him on the field Depay is not the focal point.
He isn’t going to a focal point for any big team. That’s the problem with a top team signing him.

Stacks

He’d be class here nowadays. The talent was always there, anyone who thought he was untalented doesn’t understand football. He made the right move moving to get regular game time.

Memphis upfront with Rashford, Martial & Sancho wide.
He is simply not good enough. Please stop. have you even watched him this season? Man Utd do not play international matches.
Depay+Sancho. offload Mata/Sanchez.

Sancho, Depay, Martial, Rashford, Lingard, Lukaku?​
no thank you. we have enough overrated players on high wages

Bwuk

He is simply not good enough. Please stop. have you even watched him this season? Man Utd do not play international matches.

no thank you. we have enough overrated players on high wages
I think Depay was the right player at the wrong time. He was never a winger either.

flappyjay

That effect of not watching a player regularly and only hearing, seeing the good things makes you think he is better than he is.

flappyjay

I'm gonna go ahead and say it. Memphis is a better player than both Martial and Rashford.

He can do everything they can do but better IMO. He just lacks the extra yard of pace they have.
The man has 8 goals in the French league this season. Scrap that it's actually in all competitions.

Baxter

Had a cracking year last season but this season he’s been underwhelming. Usually very good for the Netherlands however, although he’s basically a striker for them.

izec

Memphis wouldnt be as good here. He is their go to guy, the only attacker good enough at this point. At United he would be lost again, unless we make him the main attacking guy. He would be a good squad option of course

Graveyard

He isn’t going to a focal point for any big team. That’s the problem with a top team signing him.
Then he needs to pledge loyalty to Aulas and stay at Lyon to make them consistent challengers again. And Genesio needs to end his roulation policy.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster

Well there's always one.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
The hate for him here is crazy. United sucked really bad and this kid was 20 something. His circumstances did not allow him to succeed. Him with OGS would show better quality. More skillful than Martial better shot than Martial and better positing than Martial. Either way we will never know until he comes back to the EPL.

Champagne Football

He released a rap single just a few months ago. He doesn't have the focus required to fulfil his potential and that's why he only does the business on the pitch sporadically.

Could see him end up at PSG if they are forced to sell stars, or one of the Milan clubs.

Last edited:

Ekeke

The hate for him here is crazy. United sucked really bad and this kid was 20 something. His circumstances did not allow him to succeed. Him with OGS would show better quality. More skillful than Martial better shot than Martial and better positing than Martial. Either way we will never know until he comes back to the EPL.
Even if any of that was true, he was a much worse left winger than Martial. And he's still not a good one. His upturn in form has been as a central player, which is interestingly where we first used him when he joined in friendly matches. We had him behind the striker for a couple of games with LVG talking about deciding where to play him because he could play there or on the wing.

Aloysius's Back 3

The thing with depay is he would have been better if LVG had stayed a further season after Jose.

With LVG finding Rashford & Lingard midway through second season alongside buying martial & memphis - there was no way he was continuing with 433 -that's why even up until to this day we play a lot of our games with 2 strikers upfront.

Whilst I'm not the biggest fan of his demeanor - I don't see him all that different to the social media mad players we currently have. We just used his poor performances & used that against him.

The 'buy back option'- how does it work? Say if we were interested in him & he preferred to move to PSG instead - is it something he has to follow & move to us or is it merely a transfer cost?