Memphis Depay | Atletico player

Raw

He was pretty good against PSG. He has a lot of talent and I wish it worked out better at United for him.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Memphis would be much more popular if he'd Just stop saying things on the internet. He's not very smart, or likable, and you can only say stuff like I dont care about haters before it becomes painfully ironic.

RedDevil@84

Memphis would be much more popular if he'd Just stop saying things on the internet. He's not very smart, or likable, and you can only say stuff like I dont care about haters before it becomes painfully ironic.
Remember his time at United. He talked at lengths about hunger, desire, wanting to be best in the world and all kinds of stuff in interviews, but on the pitch, it hardly showed in his game.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Remember his time at United. He talked at lengths about hunger, desire, wanting to be best in the world and all kinds of stuff in interviews, but on the pitch, it hardly showed in his game.
It's all about image for him. He wants to sound like Cristiano. Just shut the feck up and play good football for a few seasons. Your fans will start talking about your hunger and desire eventually when you show it on the pitch. Talk is just that, talk.

I think Memphis has enough talent to be a very good player, but I dont think he ever will be.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
His tiny socks are a sight to behold though. Cringey fecker.

You can call me a hater, but Memphis has made it abundantly clear (in about 27.000 interviews) that he doesn't listen to the haters. He really doesn't. He pays them no mind. None. Seriously, he doesn't care.

He doesn't.

crossy1686

career ending
Might have been different under different management (Fergie) but you can't help but feel he cares too much about things outside of football to ever truly be good enough to play for a top side again.

Stacks

Stacks

You can call me a hater, but Memphis has made it abundantly clear (in about 27.000 interviews) that he doesn't listen to the haters. He really doesn't. He pays them no mind. None. Seriously, he doesn't care.

He doesn't.
I believe this too. He also thinks its his destiny or near birth right to play again for a European giant.

onemanarmy

That’s a staggering statistic. I was under the impression he was doing quite well over there?
The first couple of months he was, it went downhill pretty fast. He has all the talent but will never make it at the highest level.

Cloud7

The first couple of months he was, it went downhill pretty fast. He has all the talent but will never make it at the highest level.
Ahh thanks for the info, really was under the misconception he was still bossing it. I actually remember early on in the season there was talk of him being a good option for us to bring back etc.

Canagel

He doesn't.
You guys should get behind him. hes the best attacker in your national team. even if he doesn't become as good some of your previous strikers you'll still be pinning your hopes on him starting with this summers nation league.

RedDevil@84

You guys should get behind him. hes the best attacker in your national team. even if he doesn't become as good some of your previous strikers you'll still be pinning your hopes on him starting with this summers nation league.
Someone whose mouth does more work than his feet??

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I will get behind him on a professional level. Cheering when he scores and stuff, but as a person I think he's a cringey bellend. Nothing he does on the pitch will change that.

Canagel

another 2 goals and 2 assist as the main man. killing it for his country right now.

Member 93275

He functions well in the Dutch team, where they know how to find him and use him. Says something about the Lyon team, where he isn't doing as well currently. Thanked De Jong after the game, who had the most passes, the highest completion and most passes to Depay.

Stacks

another 2 goals and 2 assist as the main man. killing it for his country right now.
He functions well in the Dutch team, where they know how to find him and use him. Says something about the Lyon team, where he isn't doing as well currently. Thanked De Jong after the game, who had the most passes, the highest completion and most passes to Depay.
8 goals in 36apps for Lyon this season? WOW he fell off. Or maybe he was never on to begin with? Whatever the case, he is delusional if he thinks he is destined for a big club again. There are levels

Just shoot me

Depay is simply a quality player, but it comes with the right tactics. The real star of this Dutch team is Frenkie de Jong. Almost every attack starts with him, teams can't defend him or follow his moves.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
8 goals in 36apps for Lyon this season? WOW he fell off. Or maybe he was never on to begin with? Whatever the case, he is delusional if he thinks he is destined for a big club again. There are levels
He's just too weak mentally. Whenever things are going well he becomes nearly twice as good (also starts overdoing it instantly), but when it gets tough, he'll sulk and turn rubbish. That's simply not going to get you to the top.

Graveyard

Im a big fan. He has a good dribble, drive and shot. I think he'll make another step up. Id like to see him at Napoli or maybe even Atletico.

Walters_19_MuFc

Love watching him play. I remember the game against Watford where he arguably had one of his better games for us up top. Its a shame we didnt try him there more as he's proving to be an all round centre forward.

Granted it was only against Belurus, I thought he was fantastic.

Graveyard

Great vision and pass as well, and likes to show his skills. Backheels, trickshots etc. I don't know how you can watch him and not be entertained.

Last edited:

Aloysius's Back 3

Love watching him play. I remember the game against Watford where he arguably had one of his better games for us up top. Its a shame we didnt try him there more as he's proving to be an all round centre forward.

Granted it was only against Belurus, I thought he was fantastic.
I know when depay looked good for lyon during 2018 that he played as a false 9/CF - has his average performances come from continuing to play there for lyon or has he been moved back to LW?

kundalini

I know when depay looked good for lyon during 2018 that he played as a false 9/CF - has his average performances come from continuing to play there for lyon or has he been moved back to LW?
He has been playing left-wing since late Jan in Ligue 1 but before that he had a run of 6 starts as a centre forward in which he contributed nothing. He played fairly centrally in the CL matches against Barcelona.

This season he has been poor apart from a hot spell from mid October to early December. In the early part of the season he was mostly used centrally. No clear correlation between output and position played this season.

He had a hot spell in April and May last season when deployed centrally.

It looks to me as though he has been more productive in a no 10/support striker/attacking mid role for Lyon than as a centre forward or a left winger, though the sample size isn't ideal as he has played far fewer games in a deeper role.

I think it is now clear that Memphis is a talented player who needs to be the main man but probably isn't good enough for that role in an elite side. Hard to see where he goes from Lyon.

Last edited:

Graveyard

He needs Fekir to leave. Last year he had his rise when Fekir was injured. With him on the field Depay is not the focal point.

Stacks

Depay is simply a quality player, but it comes with the right tactics. The real star of this Dutch team is Frenkie de Jong. Almost every attack starts with him, teams can't defend him or follow his moves.
So basically he is just a good player who has occasional streaks of form which fans attribute to the "right tactics"