Memphis Depay | Atletico player

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Wait till they're actually able to register him to play in La Liga first :lol: ?

Guess he'll look great playing for the B team and in the CL anyway...

meamth

I know the internet lends itself to hyperbolic discussions but is it fair to say that a 27 year old who has played for two of the biggest clubs in the world in Spain and England, one of France's biggest clubs and who represents his national team, has achieved a little bit more than feck all? And more than 99.9% of footballers around the world have already achieved?
I didn't deny his achievements of being a full international and a professional player.

but look at his accolades:

PSV[107]

Netherlands U17

Netherlands

Individual

What did he achieve individually and more importantly as a team?

Nothing much going on here, but ffs, he is hyping himself as among the greatest to ever play football.

And thad made me cringe, hard. Really hard.

Canagel

This thread has the most horrible takes. Full of people that absolutely hate to see him do well and it is very weird.
It's nothing weird, he is hated for the same reason players like Neymar, Pogba etc are hated.

you are only allowed to be confident and live life in a certain way when you fit into a certain mould. Memphis doesn't fit the mould and such is life, he isn't the last player

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I didn't deny his achievements of being a full international and a professional player.

but look at his accolades:

PSV[107]

Netherlands U17

Netherlands

Individual

What did he achieve individually and more importantly as a team?

Nothing much going on here, but ffs, he is hyping himself as among the greatest to ever play football.

And thad made me cringe, hard. Really hard.
Don't forget his FA cup! United's greatest achievement past SAF.
Low blow

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Still better than all our strikers going into the upcoming season. Greenwood may reach Memphis's level one day but it's certainly not the case now. Rashford can't play as a striker, and Cavani in his ancient, dusty version is good for a few big games if we're lucky. The CF position has been grim for us since Zlatan was here.
Eh, you’re getting cooked for this but I’d say it’s a much of a muchness.

Memphis is a good player, but overall I wouldn’t say he’s better than what we have. Martial 19/20 for instance is better than anything Memphis can offer as a no.9. But then Martial followed that up with a stinker season.

A similar level to some of our attackers, but nothing to envy about or get bogged down on with what we have.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
It will be interesting for sure to see how he gets on at Barca. I hope he does well but I have serious doubts about his technical level. Do you think if we resigned him tomorrow he’d be a success here? I very much doubt it unfortunately.
I don't really know. He has done best when he could be a roaming CF, and United don't have that position. So he'd have to be shoehorned into the team and that would probably go wrong again. He also might not have the quality to be a first-year starter, even if a position were created for him. And certainly not at Barcelona were the competition up top is stronger (I think?).

I assume they bought him for backup and rotation. That might actually work well, as he can be lethal against lower-quality teams, allowing others to be fit for the to matches without losing points due to rotation. But then the question would be if Memphis can motivate himself for that role, cause that has been an issue in the past. He's older now though - we'll see!

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
I just don't rate the guy.

He hype himself so much I began to have allergic reactions to rap mixtapes.

He achieved feck all, but acts like a super top top sold out god gift of a talent.

If he succeed, well played, but I think he will fail at Barca.
Thanks for giving another example.

I don’t think that’s the case. I certainly like him as a person and he can be enjoyable to watch. I just don’t think he’s close to being a top player.
He surely isn't Mbappe, nor is he Neymar or Lewandowski. But in the past few years he's performed more than any of our attackers, be it for country or club. Would you say ours are?
It's nothing weird, he is hated for the same reason players like Neymar, Pogba etc are hated.

you are only allowed to be confident and live life in a certain way when you fit into a certain mould. Memphis doesn't fit the mould and such is life, he isn't the last player
Just sad and weird. He may rap and have tattoos, but he was a young player, full of potential, who wanted to succeed very badly as his dream was to play for United. It didnt work out, he's never spoken a bad word on United ever since and always blamed himself. Just so weird how so many United fans dislike him so much that the come up with just horrible takes.

It's probably the flashy lifestyle that irks so many people.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Thanks for giving another example.

He surely isn't Mbappe, nor is he Neymar or Lewandowski. But in the past few years he's performed more than any of our attackers, be it for country or club. Would you say ours are?

Just sad and weird. He may rap and have tattoos, but he was a young player, full of potential, who wanted to succeed very badly as his dream was to play for United. It didnt work out, he's never spoken a bad word on United ever since and always blamed himself. Just so weird how so many United fans dislike him so much that the come up with just horrible takes.

It's probably the flashy lifestyle that irks so many people.
Yeh I’d say all of Utds attackers have proved more and are better players than Memphis to be honest.

Rashford has been statistically one of the best wide forwards in the last few years and has scored some massive goals in recent years.

Greenwood is one of the most exciting talent I’ve ever seen and frankly just operates on a whole different level of talent compared to Depay.

Martial likewise just has far more talent and has proven that over the years at Utd while Depay just couldn’t.

Cavani goes without saying really.

Canagel

Yeh I’d say all of Utds attackers have proved more and are better players than Memphis to be honest.

Rashford has been statistically one of the best wide forwards in the last few years and has scored some massive goals in recent years.

Greenwood is one of the most exciting talent I’ve ever seen and frankly just operates on a whole different level of talent compared to Depay.

Martial likewise just has far more talent and has proven that over the years at Utd while Depay just couldn’t.

Cavani goes without saying really.
In 2021 none of them are clearly better than him and I would argue only Martial at his best is better

If by 'certain mould' you mean 'are actually any good' then yes, you are right. Memphis arrived with an attitude that he had made it just by being here, then proceeded to put in some of the worst performances ever seen in our shirt. He then went to a far inferior league and used his performances there as some sort of justification that he is a great player after all. That's why he's not liked.

rotherham_red

In 2021 none of them are clearly better than him and I would argue only Martial at his best is better
Depay has to do more to prove such statements true. Playing and scoring for Lyon is nice, but it doesn't really prove anything, other than what we already we knew: he's a big fish in a small pond. Likewise, I wouldn't be too quick to jump on this preseason form as it really zero stakes football.

When he was here, he was getting outperformed by an 17/18 year old Rashford and a 19 year old Martial. That good form at Lyon notwithstanding, that is still predominantly the case now.

Rashford in the last two seasons, while he has been playing with multiple debilitating injuries lets not forget, has at the very least, operated on an equal level. Greenwood is arguably already there, and Cavani has been great.

It would be interesting to see where he would rank among our attackers if he did come back.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
We shall see this season.. Im really really curious.. I can see him becoming an integral part of a very good Barcelona side.. I can also see him fading away there with underwhelming performances.. He definitely has the skills to be important for Barcelona, but you also need a bit of luck and the right mentality/harmony with the team to make it work..

He has everything to prove still on the highest level as stated here often above, but I see (like stated as well by some above) that his failed United spell and/or eccentric and/or arrogant attitude make that some posters rather see him fail than do well..

We'll see.. As said Im more than anything else very curious!

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
If by 'certain mould' you mean 'are actually any good' then yes, you are right. Memphis arrived with an attitude that he had made it just by being here, then proceeded to put in some of the worst performances ever seen in our shirt. He then went to a far inferior league and used his performances there as some sort of justification that he is a great player after all. That's why he's not liked.
Look at what you've just claimed. Then remove any parts which are just entire guesswork and assumption on your part, and the parts where you've had to exaggerate to strengthen your point. I believe you'll be left with nothing.

Look at what you've just claimed. Then remove any parts which are just entire guesswork and assumption on your part, and the parts where you've had to exaggerate to strengthen your point. I believe you'll be left with nothing.
Let's deconstruct shall we:

"Memphis arrived with an attitude that he had made it just by being here" - pretty obvious this one. Rocking up with his M7 branding and there are many quotes from players and coaches, but here's one from a genuinely great player in The Guardian - "When Depay was dropped from the first team at Manchester United in 2015, Wayne Rooney suggested he should keep a low profile and not “come in with all your fancy stuff” for a reserve game. But Depay turned up in his Rolls-Royce, wearing a leather jacket and a cowboy hat. “I just thought: ‘What’s the point?’” reflected Rooney."

"then proceeded to put in some of the worst performances ever seen in our shirt" - 2 goals in 33 games, as a forward, yes that's pretty awful and i cant remember many players looking worse here.

"He then went to a far inferior league " - he went to Ligue 1, which has roughly half the UEFA coefficient score the PL has. 100.569 vs. 56.081.

"and used his performances there as some sort of justification that he is a great player after all" - another interview... "In March (2018), Depay was asked what he missed to become the best in the world. “Nothing in terms of quality,” he responded."

"That's why he's not liked." - maybe this is the bit you are referring to? I can only say why i don't like him, I couldn't say i speak for the millions of other fans who also think he's Nicklas Bendtner reborn.

Stacks

Cavani is and will always be clearly better. In Cavani last full season in France he bagged 18 league goals in 1600 mins. light work.
Depay managed 20 in 2900 and you think that is special?!?!

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Cavani is and will always be clearly better. In Cavani last full season in France he bagged 18 league goals in 1600 mins. light work.
It is really daft to include the last season when he was performing at his best and just to exclude the following season where he has been poor, and now as well he's nowhere near his best, it is just weird and clearly selective.

20 goals and 12 assists btw.

Stacks

It is really daft to include the last season when he was performing at his best and just to exclude the following season where he has been poor, and now as well he's nowhere near his best, it is just weird and clearly selective.

he spent his last PSG season constantly injured that's why. nothing daft about it. An injury plagued season where you are heavily disrupted in minutes and consistent run ins does not reflect your true ability.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
he spent his last PSG season constantly injured that's why. nothing daft about it. An injury plagued season where you are heavily disrupted in minutes and consistent run ins does not reflect your true ability.
So would you say he is at his true ability now and was just as good as he was in 18/19?

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
I am not even saying anyone has in this topic, but do you think people say;

"Want to bring race in here; ....."?
I think it’s dangerous to assume people are bringing race into it when there is no indication that’s a factor

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
I think it’s dangerous to assume people are bringing race into it when there is no indication that’s a factor
Is there no indication or do you just not see anything of an indication?

It is funny how there are now Pogba/Kane comparisons being made now, but I'm sure that would also be "bringing race into it".

Black players are treated differently (by media and fans) all the time. At this point, it is almost even naive to exclude any possibility that it's happening.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
possibly not far off. its hard to tell but he looked sharp as always. Some lovely finishes too
I disagree, whilst he still is very good at certain aspects of being a CF, possibly more than Martial, Rashford, Greenwood will ever be. He is nowhere near an elite striker I'd say and is one of the weaker positions in the team currently on paper. Some lovely finishes, some poor misses, some lovely hold up play and some invisible performances. Great in the EL, quite poor vs top opposition in the CL and PL.

Stacks

I disagree, whilst he still is very good at certain aspects of being a CF, possibly more than Martial, Rashford, Greenwood will ever be. He is nowhere near an elite striker I'd say and is one of the weaker positions in the team currently on paper. Some lovely finishes, some poor misses, some lovely hold up play and some invisible performances. Great in the EL, quite poor vs top opposition in the CL and PL.
he only started 2 CL games, and only started vs Arsenal and Liverpool (2 times) including the FA cup win. He missed a lot of big matches through injury so this is incredibly small sample size

NotQuiteManc

I said this about 7 years ago, Depay has done pretty well for himself... but I still think he could have been a much bigger player now and still play for united if he didn´t gain so much muscle mass in his last season at PSV.
+ the summer before he joined up with United he gained even more muscle, losing his ability to float past players. Still think that was his biggest mistake.
I have to agree with the bold statements. If you (not you specifically, just in general) watch any highlight videos, he is fairly skillful, but when it comes to "weight shifting" left to right and vice versa, he just couldn't get away fast enough because he is just too top weight heavy. I am not sure how to explain it, but he looks more like Hulk (the player) compared to CR7 whom he probably aspired to be.

meamth

Let's deconstruct shall we:

"Memphis arrived with an attitude that he had made it just by being here" - pretty obvious this one. Rocking up with his M7 branding and there are many quotes from players and coaches, but here's one from a genuinely great player in The Guardian - "When Depay was dropped from the first team at Manchester United in 2015, Wayne Rooney suggested he should keep a low profile and not “come in with all your fancy stuff” for a reserve game. But Depay turned up in his Rolls-Royce, wearing a leather jacket and a cowboy hat. “I just thought: ‘What’s the point?’” reflected Rooney."

"then proceeded to put in some of the worst performances ever seen in our shirt" - 2 goals in 33 games, as a forward, yes that's pretty awful and i cant remember many players looking worse here.

"He then went to a far inferior league " - he went to Ligue 1, which has roughly half the UEFA coefficient score the PL has. 100.569 vs. 56.081.

"and used his performances there as some sort of justification that he is a great player after all" - another interview... "In March (2018), Depay was asked what he missed to become the best in the world. “Nothing in terms of quality,” he responded."

"That's why he's not liked." - maybe this is the bit you are referring to? I can only say why i don't like him, I couldn't say i speak for the millions of other fans who also think he's Nicklas Bendtner reborn.
Great post.

sums it all up.

He done feck all, yet.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
he only started 2 CL games, and only started vs Arsenal and Liverpool (2 times) including the FA cup win. He missed a lot of big matches through injury so this is incredibly small sample size
It isnt the biggest sample size, granted. However though a good temporary solution, would you not say most people think we need a world class striker, which Cavani clearly was once upon a time.

Stacks

It isnt the biggest sample size, granted. However though a good temporary solution, would you not say most people think we need a world class striker, which Cavani clearly was once upon a time.
Yeah we do need a world class striker and Cavani certainly is not that today but neither is Memphis imo. I doubt neither of them would lead us to the very top.

Darlington Padgett

Hes “cocky” & flashy, while also being black. Same reason Pogba is despised. It’s a touchy subject but it definitely exists.
You're completely wrong on that. People hate on him because when he was playing for United he was more interested in doing music videos than playing. He had bags of potential but wasn't fully committed. He left and now he's doing well and people hate that it wasn't with us.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Yeah we do need a world class striker and Cavani certainly is not that today but neither is Memphis imo. I doubt neither of them would lead us to the very top.
I don't think Memphis is either, but personally I think his current level is higher even though he's never neared Cavani's high. Cavani whilst good, don't think he's that good anymore which is understandable.

For whatever that's worth, I hope Martial/Cavani set the world on fire this season and Memphis does well, but not against United/Ajax.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager

To be fair, Cavani played for PSG, who were by far the best team in France with the most expensively assembled team in France by a mile.

Memphis played for Lyon.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
To be fair, Cavani played for PSG, who were by far the best team in France with the most expensively assembled team in France by a mile.

Memphis played for Lyon.
But he was playing with Mbappe and Neymar I must say..huge ego's.

Renegade

You're completely wrong on that. People hate on him because when he was playing for United he was more interested in doing music videos than playing. He had bags of potential but wasn't fully committed. He left and now he's doing well and people hate that it wasn't with us.
This is a shitty post. What he does in his spare time is his business. How can you say he wasn’t committed?

It’s like fans would rather see their players fall out of nightclubs & Hotels than see them rapping & dancing in their own time.

You’ll be very frustrated with Sancho if that’s your feelings about Memphis’ time at United.