Memphis Depay | Atletico player

krentz

Aguero, Griezmann, Messi, Depay arent they all bit similar to each other?

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Our signings' value following Transfersmark:

Memphis Depay: 45M€

Kun Agüero: 25M€

Eric García: 20M€

Emerson Royal: 25M€

Total: 115M€

Barca paid 9M€ for all four players.

lovely bit of business
Yeah, but what are the wages and signing on fees?

Also, I would add:

Depay - Not done anything outside of France

Kun - Looked shot last season (although that may be due to the nature of the PL)

Garcia - Not enough minutes in mens football for people to make an informed decision.

Emerson - Good player, but will need to improve a lot to become elite.

Tbh, the above signings are the kind Everton make in the PL.

However, when Barca do spend money they waste it, so not paying fees on top is a bonus.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Memphis is not a great player. Aguero is past his peak. Such strange signings.
disagree there, for that price point you can’t really go wrong. Glad it’s not wasting money with 150M euro signings on players who don’t fit. It’ll be an easier sale to flip these players if they don’t work out.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Yeah, but what are the wages and signing on fees?

Also, I would add:

Kun - Looked shot last season (although that may be due to the nature of the PL)

Garcia - Not enough minutes in mens football for people to make an informed decision.

Emerson - Good player, but will need to improve a lot to become elite.

Tbh, the above signings are the kind Everton make in the PL.
the salaries are very fair I’ll try to dig them up for you. Emerson is very solid, aguero’s biggest issue is staying healthy, when he is he can still hang them on. Depay is good but I agree outside of France he’s been underwhelming. Koeman should be able to get the best out of him though like he did with the NT. I think these are all low risk signings form these salaries. I’ll get official salaries for you

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
disagree there, for that price point you can’t really go wrong. Glad it’s not wasting money with 150M euro signings on players who don’t fit. It’ll be an easier sale to flip these players if they don’t work out.
You do realise how hard it is to sell players atm who don't make the grade? If they flop, you'll be stuck with them.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I see this mentioned a lot about Barca's transfers now, but it seems like an odd comment to me. Not every player is being bought to play every game with the entire rest of the squad. Memphis is a great option for rotation, and they'll need that. Especially Messi and Aguëro can't play every game throughout the season. Also, the transfer period had only just started, maybe Barca will still offload some players. It's too early to comment on their final squad for next season.
He's had strong performances in the CL for Lyon though, and he's often been amazing for the Dutch national team, especially under Koeman. I think people in here are judging him too much on his United days still.

Canagel

Great move for him. He will do well, especially with Koeman who turned him into a machine for the Dutch team

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I agree that wasting money on expensive big names that don't fit is not good but Memphis will not be on small wages and will take an important place in the squad. He's really not very good. Competent and impresses at a lower level/league but he's not got what it takes to he a top class player. And Aguero is a hilarious signing. Let Suarez go who won a league and then signed someone else even more past his peak. What planning. For your sake hopefully the other two work out well

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I see this mentioned a lot about Barca's transfers now, but it seems like an odd comment to me. Not every player is being bought to play every game with the entire rest of the squad. Memphis is a great option for rotation, and they'll need that. Especially Messi and Aguëro can't play every game throughout the season.
Rotation? They need starters. Essentially with Messi aging but still have incredible passing ability you need players with pace and dynamism that can use those qualities. Griezmann isn't very quick and likes to come central and link up, and hence we all could see that it wouldn't work. Memphis again doesn't have the page and dynamism to be a wide forward so has converted into a central player. As a squad player it isn't a bad addition but I would have thought that Barcelona needed some startera instead. Especially ones that have some pace.

Getting mentioned in the same sentence as Messi is a career highlight for Memphis.

Hard to fathom what Barcelona are thinking with all these transfers.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Our signings' value following Transfersmark:

Memphis Depay: 45M€

Kun Agüero: 25M€

Eric García: 20M€

Emerson Royal: 25M€

Total: 115M€

Barca paid 9M€ for all four players.

lovely bit of business
2 year deal for Memphis means he'll be worth a lot less when a players worth actually means anything ie. when it comes to potentially selling. Ditto with Aguero. Not a single club is or will pay €25m for him so this arbitrary value a website has put on him means absolutely nothing.

Congratulations on Garcia and Royal. Not sure what the ambitions are at Barcelona, but if they fit them and you've got them for less than they're worth, kudos.

DaGOAT

What are people expecting?

Barca have no money. Just took a fecking loan to cover wages not paid and to cover the debt long term.

Haaland or the likes are not happening for Barca.

Personally I also think Aguero is finished, but he at least is not worse than Braithwaite, and he is on a free transfer with lower wages. That is something new compared to the obscene contracts that Bartomeu handed out.

Bartomeu and his board have nearly destroyed Barca by their ridiculous contracts, and Laporta have to use the next 2-3 years to get out of ALL of those. Some of them will get managed this summer, but you are kidding yourself if you think it is in order for next summer.
Sergi Roberto earning more than De Bruyne or Van Dijk is all you need to know.

So looking for free transfers this summer such as Garcia, Depay, Aguero, Emerson (not free but will cancel out with Todibo/Alena departure) is more than okay.

Barca are not in a financial position to make a push for the Champions League - despite what Laporta says. He has to renew squad, and it takes time with these ridiculous contracts. Barca fans can get winning the Champions League with newly bought Haaland-like players out of their thick skulls right now.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona

Barca have no money. Just took a fecking loan to cover wages not paid and to cover the debt long term.

Personally I also think Aguero is finished, but he at least is not worse than Braithwaite, and he is on a free transfer with lower wages. That is something new compared to the obscene contracts that Bartomeu handed out.

Bartomeu and his board have nearly destroyed Barca by their ridiculous contracts, and Laporta have to use the next 2-3 years to get out of ALL of those. Some of them will get managed this summer, but you are kidding yourself if you think it is in order for next summer.

So looking for free transfers this summer such as Garcia, Depay, Aguero, Emerson (not free but will cancel out with Todibo/Alena departure) is more than okay.

Barca are not in a financial position to make a push for the Champions League - despite what Laporta says. He has to renew squad, and it takes time with these ridiculous contracts. Barca fans can get winning the Champions League with newly bought Haaland-like players out of their thick skulls right now.
Good post up up until that really bizarre final paragraph. No Barca fan or team member has any hope for CL. This is a squad in need of a rebuild and Laporta has done a really good job considering the financial restriction that you covered.

kingwaynerooney

Supports
United
I doubt that's going to be the case as long as Koeman is the coach. It is obvious he was the reason that Depay chose Barca and I have zero doubt that Koeman will put his trust into Depay.
Whether or not that works out is another question but I'm certain he wouldn't have picked Barca otherwise, the short contract length also points to that (he wants to see if Koeman stays and that he doesn't end up on the bench despite any promises made).
Fati been out for a whole year. It will take him 6-8 months before he gets the spot back. Too young to be taking risks with him.

Lowekey Barca has a solid and entertaining young core. Frenkie , pedri , depay, dembele is better than anything Madrid has to offer.

krentz

I see this mentioned a lot about Barca's transfers now, but it seems like an odd comment to me. Not every player is being bought to play every game with the entire rest of the squad. Memphis is a great option for rotation, and they'll need that. Especially Messi and Aguëro can't play every game throughout the season. Also, the transfer period had only just started, maybe Barca will still offload some players. It's too early to comment on their final squad for next season.

He's had strong performances in the CL for Lyon though, and he's often been amazing for the Dutch national team, especially under Koeman. I think people in here are judging him too much on his United days still.
Actually they got 6 players, who liked playing through the centre (Coutinho, Braithwhite), sure they can offload some but i dont think quality-wise they'd be much difference, expect Messi to carry them through the whole season again.

Getting mentioned in the same sentence as Messi is a career highlight for Memphis.

Hard to fathom what Barcelona are thinking with all these transfers.
I think because theyre skint, theyre eyeing for all free transfers. Not sure about the wages though.

snk123

Memphis is a very, very good player. Don't know what people are talking about. He came to PL too early.

acnumber9

Barcelona will be looking rid as soon as Koeman is sacked. He’s a small time player.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He really just doesn't have that much to his game. He is a decent passer and shooter but he isn't dynamic on the ball at all. He's going to be a bench player at Barcelona very quickly and then will go out on loan or just be let go in 2 years when his contract is up.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
As always, goes missing when it matters.
To be fair he was really good for Lyon on their big CL run. They just don’t have the same amount of quality as the major clubs and it would have been a major upset for them to ever win it. Hes done well to get back up to Barca level but he’s a squad player for them that’ll probably be sold when Koeman gets sacked.

Nick7

I still can’t understand the reaction in the match threads. Every time he did something simple people were creaming themselves about how good he was throughout the group stage and even today. You’d swear he was setting the world alight and tearing teams apart alone. He’s a good player but he was nothing special in the groups and anonymous today.

To be fair he was really good for Lyon on their big CL run. They just don’t have the same amount of quality as the major clubs and it would have been a major upset for them to ever win it. Hes done well to get back up to Barca level but he’s a squad player for them that’ll probably be sold when Koeman gets sacked.
was he? A single penalty in the knock out rounds against Juve and Lyon won the game against City after he was taken off for Dembele.

Ali Dia

I still can’t understand the reaction in the match threads. Every time he did something simple people were creaming themselves about how good he was throughout the group stage and even today. You’d swear he was setting the world alight and tearing teams apart alone. He’s a good player but he was nothing special in the groups and anonymous today.

was he? A single penalty in the knock out rounds against Juve and Lyon won the game against City after he was taken off for Dembele.
Fairly sure I remember him working his ass off in a few really gutsy team performances but you’re right about Dembele goal on the break and then everyone probably wanted us to sign him that week. was anyone seriously expecting Depay to be dominating those teams mentioned above?

hubbuh

He's just a bit of a nothing player. Stands to reason that current Barca would be all over him.

Nick7

Fairly sure I remember him working his ass off in a few really gutsy team performances but you’re right about Dembele goal on the break and then everyone probably wanted us to sign him that week. was anyone seriously expecting Depay to be dominating those teams mentioned above?
No, I genuinely didn’t remember. Wasn’t trying to say you were wrong or anything. I mostly just remember Dembele scoring straight after coming on for him.

dinostar77

Good post. What wasn't mentioned was that even laporta dont have the balls to let messi go and let the club move on and start to recovery financially from the collosal financial package it is paying messi.

Ali Dia

No, I genuinely didn’t remember. Wasn’t trying to say you were wrong or anything. I mostly just remember Dembele scoring straight after coming on for him.
I think the problem with him was always him. He thought he was better than he was and he was frustrating for us. Once Shaw got injured that was the end of him. I think he’s a bit like Lukaku. Self driven and probably has a massive ego and didn’t spend enough time here for fans to ever warm to him or get to know him. Truth is he was never going to be world class and he was just another LVG punt that flopped. They actually all did if Martial leaves this summer. Squad level at Barca or Utd is about right but I doubt many ambitious younger players want to sit on the bench throughout their prime without kicking up a fuss. We also got decent money back for him as far as I can remember.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Never understood the love in.

Not terrible but very much meh

sillwuka

He's an ok player, not great.

I personally don't see the massive improvement or maturity in his game that others see. He just plays more central now?

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Good signing for Barca given one of their problems was having a lack of options up front... depay will probably be a squad player but can play wide or central and can inject some pace from the bench

Messi
Fati
Griezmann
Aguero
Dembele
Depay

Is a pretty strong squad of attackers.

I certainly don't see Braithwaite playing in anything like the 42 games he did last season

Castia

His stint at United was awful, he was generally one of the worst signings we made. Apart from 1-2 decent appearances when he first joined he was Obertan levels of awfulness, he offered absolutely nothing going forward and towards the end was actually at fault for a few goals conceded.

He’ll love playing against Elche and Alaves for Barcelona then be completely anonymous against teams he look even remotely interested in causing a threat.

squad player within 6 months then a loan move to Roma or Lazio Is on the cards