Memphis Depay | Atletico player

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
One word, confidence.

He would never have tried that last season.
Agree, shame he didn't take his chances here as there is a good player in there.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
One word, confidence.

He would never have tried that last season.
Of course not.
Because frankly it is moronic to try stuff like that. Your team is winning the ball at the halfway line for a counter and you shoot straight towards the goal?
Every coach and teammate would want to rip your head off for that because obviously it never usually would work and you would have blatantly wasted an important opportunity, and they would be right.

And arguably even here, Depay might have actually tried a long pass into space and slipped. He doesn't even take a look whether the goalie is outside :lol:

Baxter

Of course not.
Because frankly it is moronic to try stuff like that. Your team is winning the ball at the halfway line for a counter and you shoot straight towards the goal?
Every coach and teammate would want to rip your head off for that because obviously it never usually would work and you would have blatantly wasted an important opportunity, and they would be right.

And arguably even here, Depay might have actually tried a long pass into space and slipped. He doesn't even take a look whether the goalie is outside :lol:
Nah, nothing wrong with that when you're 3-0 up.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Of course not.

You're criticising him for scoring a goal.... Alight.

Mammal

Supports
Roda JC / PSV

Actually, he did something similar at PSV, only hit the crossbar.

2:26 it is.

Snafu17

Of course not.

I mean, you play this type of players precisely because they take risks and do outrageous things that win you games. I think Zlatan said it best. "To do things you have to belive in it. If you think you can't do it, if you think you'll fall over, break your leg then don't do it."

Cassidy

Of course not.

Ok.....

Fridge chutney

Let's not forget that he was absolutely rubbish for us under 2 different managers. He was given chances, he didn't take them. We have more talented players than him so we should not feel like we have let one slip.

Cassidy

Let's not forget that he was absolutely rubbish for us under 2 different managers. He was given chances, he didn't take them. We have more talented players than him so we should not feel like we have let one slip.
Im just glad he has got some confidence back and hope he can fufil his potential.

Cassidy

I replied to the point that he would not have tried that at Utd due to lack of confidence and meant that maybe it's not necessarily a bad thing if a player doesn't try such stuff, in terms of team play and decision making.
Id rather our players had the confidence to able to express themselves especially when 3-0 up. Get the bums off the seats. Didn't mind when both Rooney and Beckham did similar for United

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Get in there Memphis!

Just great to see him shining :)

I like him and felt for him with how it worked out here (I don't think he was good enough for United), I think he was a good kid and it's great to see him expressing himself and happy.

dichinero

Good not to see certain posters obsessed about his tattoos and hats. He's still only 22 and has time to hit his potential hopefully. It's not like he's doing a Balotelli

Sonny1972

i knew i was nuts when the squirrels started stari

Hmmmmm lets not forget the entire team been rubbish since SAF left !!

PS more talented players like Lindgard ??

macheda14

No, we have a first buy clause. Who says a club won't come for him this summer? We're def not buying him back then, so there goes our clause. Should have loaned him out...
We have a £35 million pound buy back clause.

Ixion

That's a great goal. Doesn't make him good enough for United but nice to see him do well.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
We have a £35 million pound buy back clause.
Imagine ending up spending 50ish million on Memphis over two transfers considering the abuse he was getting while he was here? It would also have to be somewhat down to the coaches that they couldn't get him to play at the required level and then he goes away and starts playing well and we buy him back. We had two years to have a good look at him. He's either got it or he doesn't. If he does shouldn't we have loaned him out instead?

Fridge chutney

Hmmmmm lets not forget the entire team been rubbish since SAF left !!

PS more talented players like Lindgard ??
I disagree. There are players who have not been rubbish since sir Alex left. Mata, Mhiki, Rashford, and Martial to name a few forwards who have been better than Memphis.

And on the topic of this forum's favourite bashable player, Lingard has demonstrably offered us more than Memphis did during his time here.

worldinmotion66

He'll turn out to be a Nani-type player, sensational at times but massively inconsistent and often frustrating.

Personally, I don't think he was offered enough opportunities at United, the majority of foreign players need at least a season to settle and he never seemed to have the confidence of the manager. He was never going to survive under Mourinho, not his type of player at all.

red_devil83

Was I the only one wanting him to have a fair crack here and stay?
Nah, I wanted him to stay too. Fergie almost always gave players 3 years and you can't really judge a flair player under a team that isn't allowed to do anything but pass sideways and back

Rockets Redglare

Nah, I wanted him to stay too. Fergie almost always gave players 3 years and you can't really judge a flair player under a team that isn't allowed to do anything but pass sideways and back
He didn't have any flair though. He could barely control a football, he appeared slow as hell and his passing and decision making was atrocious.
Nice to see him doing well elsewhere, but there's no way I'd want to bring him back.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
This is precisely why we cover our arses with buyback clauses to avoid having to break the bank in the future.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Memphis was given chances here, contrary to what some might think. He just failed to take them, and there's nothing wrong with that. He was great for PSV, didn't make the step up at United, and is now playing well again at a club nearer his level. But to suggest his failure to step up was due to no game time is a little unfair on the managers who gave him over 50 games for the club.

red_devil83

He didn't have any flair though. He could barely control a football, he appeared slow as hell and his passing and decision making was atrocious.
Nice to see him doing well elsewhere, but there's no way I'd want to bring him back.

He's just scored a goal from the bloody halfway line. Is that not flair?

Tompo

He just wasn't good enough for us, and in my opinion he never will be.

Time will of course tell, but certainly a few decent performances in a weaker league and a wonder goal doesn't mean very much to me.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Memphis was always phenomenal against lower quality opposition.
He was fantastic in Holland. Dutch player of year.
When we played Midgetland, Shrewsbury, Brugge - fantastic. He terrorised their defenders.
So the fact that he did well against Toulouse comes as not surprise.
Put him up against an EPL team, and you'll see him immediately turn to crap.

This is precisely why we cover our arses with buyback clauses to avoid having to break the bank in the future.
So, he scores 1 goal from the half way line and you are now thinking about buying him back. :houllier:
I wouldn't buy him if he was offered to us for £1.
He isn't good enough to play in the EPL and if he moved to a club in the EPL, he'd be crap...just as he was for us.

Giggs86

Hasn't Bebe also done pretty well after we let him go? Big fish small pond. Bar two games, he was an absolute turd at United. PSV/Lyon is his level, nothing higher.

mu4c_20le

Flair was never the issue, if anything he had too much of it and would often try the audacious and fail rather than the simple option. The two goals were well taken, but apart from that, his dribbling was still inconsistent and clumsy.

Hawks2008

That goal was like those shots on FIFA where you meant to press the tackle button.