Memphis Depay (stays)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idxomer

He is a player who isn't getting on the pitch this season for Barca if he stays.

There's no reason for any club to be paying transfer money for him in addition to his salary.

EtH

He is a player who isn't getting on the pitch this season for Barca if he stays.

There's no reason for any club to be paying transfer money for him in addition to his salary.
That’s good for us. Means he would be cheap and wouldn’t expect to start every match. He would essentially be another much needed option in attack and I would be all for this signing.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Some of the Barca supporters I know actually rate him. He is considered a technically excellent player which is crazy considering they had so many technically excellent players there over the years. He's changed, still showboating but this time with more purpose. I'd welcome him back.

December_16

Can’t remember the last time we bought someone we previously sold other than Ronaldo (not counting the likes of Tom Heaton).

Strelok

Some of the Barca supporters I know actually rate him. He is considered a technically excellent player which is crazy considering they had so many technically excellent players there over the years. He's changed, still showboating but this time with more purpose. I'd welcome him back.
Same here. I haven't watched him for years but I also heard he's still a decent player. Can't be worse than Rashford or Ronaldo up there. Good age too. He's only 28 yo. 10m? Sign him asap.

MexicanCowboy

Supports
Barcelona
If Aubameyang leaves I hope he stays. He is a good player. If Xavi doesn’t use him is because he believes he is going to leave. Same with Auba. When Xavi truly believes a player is useless or wants him to leave, he doesn't even take them to the matches. Like he has done with Lenglet, Umtiti, Neto, Mingueza, Riqui Puig, Braithwaite and Dest.
At 34 years old, Lewandowsky will need some rest in some games. Memphis and specially Aubameyang are the best options to sub him in terms of scoring ability. But if they both leave I guess we can try Ansu Fati.

Reactions: Cheimoon

worldinmotion66

He'd definitely be my pick of the limited options we have. Think it hinges on a ronaldo exit though.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
As much as I don’t want to give Barca money, we need depth more than we need to keep them from getting a bit of money.

Would be a fine rotation player.

-Supreme-

10m is very good deal for us, for a player of his profile in the PL could easily cost 40-50m

Personally I would prefer a target man striker upfront to give us a different option to what we already have, but can’t complain at this price when we‘ve already spent 200m this summer

Telsim

Depay is so shite and I don't want to give that club money, least of all for him. But we are so desperate... Isn't there anyone else? :(

Trequarista10

If Aubameyang leaves I hope he stays. He is a good player. If Xavi doesn’t use him is because he believes he is going to leave. Same with Auba. When Xavi truly believes a player is useless or wants him to leave, he doesn't even take them to the matches. Like he has done with Lenglet, Umtiti, Neto, Mingueza, Riqui Puig, Braithwaite and Dest.
At 34 years old, Lewandowsky will need some rest in some games. Memphis and specially Aubameyang are the best options to sub him in terms of scoring ability. But if they both leave I guess we can try Ansu Fati.
Ansu Fati looked like an immense talent before his injury.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Do not give them money. Seriously, why would you. Get an agreement with the players then tell barcelona to release Memphis and Dest.

You're welcome, Rich, John

davidmichael

I thought Depay was being paid £10 million or €10 million to leave Barca ? If it’s on a free then I’d 100% be all in for Depay as he’s shown to be a fluid forward who’s comfortable/interchangeable from central to out wide, in or approaching his prime years and already knows the club so wouldn’t need time to settle.

I’d honestly be very happy with our forward options being Antony, Sancho, Fernandes, Rashford, Martial, Depay, Elanga and Garnacho. We may not have a 25-30 goal a season striker in there but we’d have 4 who can get at least 15 each and a couple more who could get 10 each if we’re playing as a team and creating chances.

Strelok

Do not give them money. Seriously, why would you. Get an agreement with the players then tell barcelona to release Memphis and Dest.

You're welcome, Rich, John
That's not how you should do it. Barca is a shit club but we're not. Afaik United have always respected and been fair with the clubs we do business with.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

What does current Martial and Rashford have that Depay doesnt?
Rashford is far better as a winger (when on it), more pace, more agile, stronger on his feet, more explosive. Martial is stronger on the ball, physically stronger than Memphis and better close control. Better hold up play.

Memphis is good though, and he'd get plenty of gametime so it would be fine.

croadyman

Maybe we will try and do a deal while he's over here for Donny's wedding, FDJ on the other hand will just be trying to keep low profile.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Rashford is far better as a winger (when on it), more pace, more agile, stronger on his feet, more explosive. Martial is stronger on the ball, physically stronger than Memphis and better close control. Better hold up play.

Memphis is good though, and he'd get plenty of gametime so it would be fine.
Rashford is doing feck all for 2 years now.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
would certainly be a decent punt as a free agent, he has an agreement with Barca to go for free if he finds a suitable club. I remember last time he was not the quickest and underwhelming in the wide positions but when he got a few games as CF he did quite well. A winning classic CF type goal in a tight game against Watford seems stuck in my mind for some reason.

Martial is levels above with his technical ability and agility. All he needs is a bit of decision making.

Rashford even now is more agile and accelerates better, hes incredibly effective in the right game.

Memphis just isn't that good in any area of the game. Everything he does is a split second too slow for this league, you can even see it in that clip.

Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Elite agility and first step. Memphis doesn't have a single elite physical trait and in the modern PL attackers without at least 1 tend to fail

dove

Is his ego still way bigger than his talent or has he finally matured a bit?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Yeah, but I've also watched a half hour YouTube video of his first season here that makes him look amazing.... Trouble is I also actually remember the real thing.

To be fair I put 'current' and I don't see how current Rashford and Martial is any better than current Depay.

Canagel

The difference between him now and 2015 is that he understands his limitations on the field.

He never had the explosiveness to play on the wing in the PL so fully remodeled his game to play false 9 and has almost mastered the position. He is very intelligent in what he does and the core fundamentals are even more polished. In fact very few players play the role better than him in Europe.

LVG knew it too, that is why he trialled him as a 10 in pre season and the first 3 games. I was suprised LVG reverted him back to the LW, he could have been successful here if he didn't do that.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Elite agility and first step. Memphis doesn't have a single elite physical trait and in the modern PL attackers without at least 1 tend to fail
He’s quite comparable with Lacazette in that sense. Probably a bit better all round game but same sort of massive shortcoming in that no.10/9 position area for PL football

DepaysCowboyHat

For me the biggest change in him is the depth of the lyrics and change in beats. Its not only about money&bling now but I feel he's asking us all the important questions of life thruout his music and most importantly teaching us how truly amazing it is to be alive and get to listen to the Messiah spit his bars.

OrcaFat

I thought Depay was being paid £10 million or €10 million to leave Barca ? If it’s on a free then I’d 100% be all in for Depay as he’s shown to be a fluid forward who’s comfortable/interchangeable from central to out wide, in or approaching his prime years and already knows the club so wouldn’t need time to settle.

I’d honestly be very happy with our forward options being Antony, Sancho, Fernandes, Rashford, Martial, Depay, Elanga and Garnacho. We may not have a 25-30 goal a season striker in there but we’d have 4 who can get at least 15 each and a couple more who could get 10 each if we’re playing as a team and creating chances.
I’m afraid you are overestimating the goal return from those guys. Some of them might get close to the numbers you suggest if they play 38 games but there’s no way they could all do that. I don’t see them scoring more than 40 goals between them.

OverratedOpinion

Yeah, but I've also watched a half hour YouTube video of his first season here that makes him look amazing.... Trouble is I also actually remember the real thing.

Can you name a single attacker that was the same player at 28 that they were at 21?

DarkXaero

Current Martial and Rashford have elite agility and first step??

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He’s quite comparable with Lacazette in that sense. Probably a bit better all round game but same sort of massive shortcoming in that no.10/9 position area for PL football
He's way better than Lacazette which is why i'm curious to see him in the PL. But, yeah, I don't expect him to be anything more than decent at best. He's a great player when he's not up against defenders with elite agility/strenght/pace, but in the PL almost every defender has at least 1 of those traits...

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Current Martial and Rashford have elite agility and first step??
Haven't seen much of them lately. Point taken :lol:

Still, if you have the money for Osimhen, that's a no brainer for you. You should still take a punt on Memphis otherwise

croadyman

Haven't seen much of them lately. Point taken :lol:

Still, if you have the money for Osimhen, that's a no brainer for you. You should still take a punt on Memphis otherwise
We don't have that kind of money left

Status
Not open for further replies.