Memphis Depay vs Anthony Martial

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Problem is, Van Gaal has already stated that he prefers a second striker for the numer 10 position, so even with this form I don't think Herrera will last long in the starting eleven, sadly. It clearly depends on the opposition and whether we need another body in midfield or not, but I think Rooney will play behind Martial in most games.
LVG has already shown he will stick with a working formula. He stuck with the 3-5-2 despite ugly play when we were grinding out results during a good period. And he stuck with Young on the left keeping out our record signing during that terrific run in the latter half of last season.

I certainly do not believe they are in direct competition in the long term. It all hinges upon 'his' opinions on Rooney and Herrera for now.

Spock

All you can do right now is state the obvious. Martial has started his United career brilliantly, while it's been hit and miss for Memphis. I see a great partnership in the future, but only time will tell whether it comes to pass.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Martial is currently streets ahead at the moment which in itself, is amazing. Before we signed Martial, I doubt it would have been much of a contest - it'd have been unanimous in favor of Memphis. Good World Cup, great season in the Eredivisie etc. I watched very little of Monaco, barring their game against Arsenal.

So my question is - obviously Martial's talent has always been recognized but why wasn't the furore/hype surrounding him a bit "bigger" (obviously Chelsea seemingly offered even more money then us!)? Or has he simply just gone up a gear or 2 since his move?

Obviously, I could have just missed all the hype. I don't watch a lot (if any!) of French league. I knew about Martial, but he's honestly surpassed all my expectations wrt "what we're getting" - in a very positive way.

OGkush

Hey man, got any papers?
Martial is currently streets ahead at the moment which in itself, is amazing. Before we signed Martial, I doubt it would have been much of a contest - it'd have been unanimous in favor of Memphis. Good World Cup, great season in the Eredivisie etc. I watched very little of Monaco, barring their game against Arsenal.

So my question is - obviously Martial's talent has always been recognized but why wasn't the furore/hype surrounding him a bit "bigger" (obviously Chelsea seemingly offered even more money then us!)? Or has he simply just gone up a gear or 2 since his move?

Obviously, I could have just missed all the hype. I don't watch a lot (if any!) of French league. I knew about Martial, but he's honestly surpassed all my expectations wrt "what we're getting" - in a very positive way.
I know right? I mean I knew he was talented, but I didn't really see that much hype surrounding him apart from those who play FIFA :lol:
Well yes, he has started off better than Memphis that's for sure, but in my opinion it's got more to do with chemistry etc. than pure footballing ability. This isn't me trying in any way shape or form to downplay Martial's ability, but more than anything trying to highlight the fact that Memphis also has that in abundance.
In my opinion Memphis will be just as good & important for United if not better (still probably leaning towards the latter), he's just gonna take a while longer to settle in.
On a side note, t's kind of funny because while I'm really trying to avoid comparisons between the 2 sets of players since they're not the same and we can't know how Memphis & Martial will turn out, but the similarities of certain circumstances are just too much to completely ignore when thinking back to Ronaldo & Rooney. One started off slow, and while showing a lot of potential it was clear that he's not the finished article, the other started off with a bang, the positions they play, the fact that both were brought in at (relatively) the same time (I know R&R didn't actually sign in the same window, but still close enough), both during times when United were in need of a rebuild, and both 2 of the world's most promissing young players at the time. I'm not saying either of M&M are going to reach either of R&R's level, but I for one am firmly on the hype train for these 2 and I honestly believe they can be world class (although Ronaldo's level is a class or 2 above that).

Christ, Memphis even had a "fight" with Van Persie, it just keeps getting weirder.

Last edited:

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I know right? I mean I knew he was talented, but I didn't really see that much hype surrounding him apart from those who play FIFA :lol:
Well yes, he has started off better than Memphis that's for sure, but in my opinion it's got more to do with chemistry etc. than pure footballing ability. This isn't me trying in any way shape or form to downplay Martial's ability, but more than anything trying to highlight the fact that Memphis also has that in abundance.
In my opinion Memphis will be just as good & important for United if not better (still probably leaning towards the latter), he's just gonna take a while longer to settle in.
On a side note, t's kind of funny because while I'm really trying to avoid comparisons between the 2 sets of players since they're not the same and we can't know how Memphis & Martial will turn out, but the similarities of certain circumstances are just too much to completely ignore when thinking back to Ronaldo & Rooney. One started off slow, and while showing a lot of potential it was clear that he's not the finished article, the other started off with a bang, the positions they play, the fact that both were brought in at (relatively) the same time (I know R&R didn't actually sign in the same window, but still close enough), both during times when United were in need of a rebuild, and both 2 of the world's most promissing young players at the time. I'm not saying either of M&M are going to reach either of R&R's level, but I for one am firmly on the hype train for these 2 and I honestly believe they can be world class (although Ronaldo's level is a class or 2 above that).

Christ, Memphis even had a "fight" with Van Persie, it just keeps getting weirder.
Nah I understand what you're saying - it's impossible to say which of the 2 will eventually turn out better - I'm just glad we have them both as well :drool:

The similarities are there for sure :lol: if they turn out anywhere near a prime Rooney - let alone Ronaldo, we'll have 2 fantastic footballers indeed.

Martial's really taken my by surprise though. I'm loving it!

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

To be fair, if you look at the champions league knockout stages thread during the Monaco-valencia games, it was filled with "Martial :drool:" or "wow martial is class" or "we need to sign him". And last season he was 18 years old at the start, so it's highly unlikely you'd see him play amazingly at that age. Players develop a lot in their early years.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
To be fair, if you look at the champions league knockout stages thread during the Monaco-valencia games, it was filled with "Martial :drool:" or "wow martial is class" or "we need to sign him". And last season he was 18 years old at the start, so it's highly unlikely you'd see him play amazingly at that age. Players develop a lot in their early years.
Yeah like I said, I didn't follow many of Monaco's matches, in fact, I think the Arsenal games were the only ones I did follow and even though Martial got some plaudits - iirc - most of them went to Kondogbia.

I know there was some hype around him for sure. I was even close to starting a Martial thread in the summer, but not because I wanted us to sign him, but to ask the @kouroux and @Rooney in Paris guys on the board how highly rated he is and how he compares to say someone like Lacazette (I know Martial is much younger!).

Basically, he's just blown my expectations away with how effortlessly he's become our,and even one of the EPL's most threatening attackers. Early days yet, I know. But it's so difficult not to get carried away!

edit: anyway, I might be derailing the thread, so apologies to all if I am.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

He was highly rated but last season a lot of french players had great seasons, Lacazette, Fekir, Kondogbia, Ntep, Griezmann and PSG takes a huge place in the press, so while Martial was highly rated and was actually doing great, his profile wasn't hype worthy. He also benefitted from the fact that he played for Monaco, they are used to develop young players in a peaceful environment.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Yeah Martial was highly rated by people who followed him, but not especially hyped about, which is also due to his personnality and the fact France has so many young talents as JPRouve says. For those who followed Ligue 1 though, his second half of last season was very very good and my friends (who follow L1 much more than I do), while surprised by the fee, felt we'd bought a very good player and he'd do well for us. However, no one really expected him to do this well so quickly, even if it's not astonishing given his maturity, he's done better than anyone expected him to.

Clas Sified

Too soon way too soon for this
Ah but this thread wasn't really made to see who's better right now, but who the caf thought would turn out to be the better player overall.

It's good to have a thread to compare the two this season though, no?

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Ah but this thread wasn't really made to see who's better right now, but who the caf thought would turn out to be the better player overall.

It's good to have a thread to compare the two this season though, no?
Not really. But fair enough if people get something from it. I have compared them I suppose in a fleeting glimpse on matchday, both young I wish both the best of luck.

Rich_H_1989

lost in a street fight to van gaal
I'd certainly like to see more of Memphis and Martial together in attack.

Martial for me raises the game of those around him. He creates space and has the ability to beat players and play others in.

Memphis to be fair has struggled so far in his United career but a lot of that is because he's targeted. Until Martial came along he was seen as our attacking threat. He's got pace and power plus a real eye for goal. Defenders double up on him and deny him space much like CSKA have done with Martial tonight.

There's no doubt in my mind that the ceiling is higher for Martial. He's one of those players who makes things look easy. But with their pace and trickery I really do think they could form a formidable partnership.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Against Everton Martial was put on the wing, and tracked Coleman, and contributed offensively,

Against Arsenal, Young was getting Ripped apart, Memphis did not track and support his team(which for me is unforgivable), not to mention offered nothing offensively.

For me that says it all, while its still early days, at this point Martial is better offensively and has a far better attitude.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
At the moment it's not even close, hopefully Memphis can pick up we shouldn't really pass final judgment until he's been given enough time to settle in first.