MEN: Manchester United step up transfer activity after Crystal Palace defeat

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
The only thing I can think of is that we need to shift some players before buying more - but then why haven't we done that yet? I can't imagine it being that hard to get rid of some players. Clubs still sign players and our deadwood might do well elsewhere. Even subsidising part of their wages a la Sánchez is better than having them pick up the full amount here for doing nothing. Looking at you, Rojo and Jones.
Thing is most of our deadwood will sell for such miniscule amounts (the idea we'd even get a fee for Jones is kinda laughable) that really it shouldn't be impacting the delaying of our transfer activity.

The only players we could command a half decent fee for is Smalling and maybe Lingard.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Because the club is trying to complete the most expensive signing in british football history in a market that sees income drop substantially from a seller that doesn't care about that. We don't have a Roman or a oil state as owners, we can't just throw all the money at everything. It's crucial that we don't overextend
That's one player, and we're basically gambling on Dortmund backing down. How is that good planning? Waiting until the last minute in a gamble? And what if we just cave to Dortmunds demands in the end anyway?

Also we obviously need more then just a right winger... So if Sancho is all we're doing that's still not a great window.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
I don't even bother reading such articles nowadays. Club is fooling no one. You want fans to believe you, show through action.

Siorac

Thing is most of our deadwood will sell for such miniscule amounts (the idea we'd even get a fee for Jones is kinda laughable) that really it shouldn't be impacting the delaying of our transfer activity.

The only players we could command a half decent fee for is Smalling and maybe Lingard.
It would free up some wages though. That matters. And we have a hugely bloated first team squad. We complain that we have little depth and that is sort of true from a quality perspective - but we have tons of players sitting on their arse. We've got what, seven centre-backs? People are clamouring for another one and in light of Lindelöf's "performance" on the weekend, it's understandable but first we'll surely have to get rid of some of the others. Yet we clearly seem unable to do that and I don't get why. Like I said, even if we have to pay half their wages instead of the full amount, it's already an improvement.

prateik

Haha.. is that happening before or after we appoint the DoF ?

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I heard a story/idiom from a friend once about two doctors:

Doctor A: people would travel to he was world renowned because he would severe diseases that nobody could.
Doctor B: nobody had heard of and patients never had any severe diseases, all his patients only ever had minor complaints.

The case was that Doctor B treated patients and never had illnesses so they weren't severe enough to warrant miracle cures.

United are like Doctor A, they wait until they have big issues to fix them, prevention is better than cure.

United are lucky they have Matt Busby's and SAFs dynasty on their side, they are lucky to be in that position all they care about is the cash cow.

The reality is Messi was going to choose City, Thiago picked Liverpool, that's where United is.

Now a top 4 side, laughable and they only decide to invest again now that they lose to Palace on the opening day.

Thinking about 'commercial interest' before the on the field results.

Morpheus 7

Even the shit briefs are a day left, MEN is a rubbish vlog. No cleaning this mess up this window.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
That's one player, and we're basically gambling on Dortmund backing down. How is that good planning? Waiting until the last minute in a gamble? And what if we just cave to Dortmunds demands in the end anyway?

Also we obviously need more then just a right winger... So if Sancho is all we're doing that's still not a great window.
We already did DVB this window.

The point about Sancho is that his transfer sum is ENORMOUS. - That kind of money in this economy when the only safety net you have is the clubs own financial backbone is not something you "just do". Remember that the Glazers, on top of ALL of this, still want dividends. They are by far the worst owners in football. Not because they don't let the club spend, because they absolutely do, but they also take from the club, which no one really does outside the team Glazer.

The plan was always Jadon Sancho before this window. started, and a midfielder.

Telles being bought on the Left Back is the second option. We wanted Reguilon but we balked at the buy back clause. We're not a farmer club so you can't really argue with that. Telles is a backup for Shaw, not his replacement. Luke Shaw is one of our best players by far.

People rightfully hate on Lindelöf for the shambolic performance this weekend, but let's not forget that he was the player of the match against Leicester in the final game of the 19/20 season. The club had no reason to suspect that this was going to happen. And we have a LOT of Centerbacks. We can't just bring another one in without selling in that position. And not for a lack of trying, we yet havent. Smalling is attempted sold but Roma are trying to be cheapskates. A bit like Manchester United are.

We are 7 weeks removed from what was a fantastic 6 months of football, and it took 90 minutes for people to start pretending that the team is awful and our players are bad and the manager is clueless.

Absolutely, amazingly, well done everyone.

Cloud7

I fecking hate briefs like this. You just knew that there was going to be something like this story after that loss, except normally it's the 'Looking for a DOF' type of story. Just maintain some radio silence for a few days. Stories like this will only serve to anger the fans more.

Siorac

We are 7 weeks removed from what was a fantastic 6 months of football
That's a tiny bit disingenuous, considering we didn't have a game for three months out of those six. A decent three months of football would be more accurate.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I was in the camp that quite liked Shaw's comments yesterday but the time for talk is certainly over. Getting some transfers over the line and playing less embarrassingly on the pitch is what's required now, not media briefings.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
This is the equivalent of putting a condom on as your wife is giving birth.

We're run by imbeciles.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
doubt the group text reaches them much faster than the Times/Telegraph guys
Group text? The Glazers communicate in smoke signals! Dortmund look to the horizon every morning to see if any bids are forthcoming but are met with tumbleweed aimlessly blowing in the wind.

spiriticon

Wooo!!! Are we finally going to think about planning for preparing a bid????

Every clause is important!

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
That's a tiny bit disingenuous, considering we didn't have a game for three months out of those six. A decent three months of football would be more accurate.
My bad. Half a season worth of great football is more accurate.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Again,its embarrassing that it takes such a awful result for us to get our asses into gear.
What a joke.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
No surprise there. I expected it to happen after an early injury crisis but this works too. Let's see if they actually do something. Wont hold my breath.

Woodzy

I’m sure we’ve had a headline about stepping up transfer activity about three times this window.

Feels like every time the pressure intensifies the press just get briefed some nonsense.

Corwin

Because the club is trying to complete the most expensive signing in british football history in a market that sees income drop substantially from a seller that doesn't care about that. We don't have a Roman or a oil state as owners, we can't just throw all the money at everything. It's crucial that we don't overextend
I wonder what would you say when we don't get Sancho by the end of the transfer window. I think something like "The club tried... but the market is difficult, we'll get him next summer" right?
We don't need exuses, we need results.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
I will personally feck woodys house up if VdB is the only signing. Then over to Glazers

*Irony

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
If it is a brief it’s the stupidest brief in the history of briefs. Because it paints the club in an appalling light. The idea that our transfer strategy could be changed by a single 90 minutes of football is fecking mind-blowing. So on the basis of this article we can either conclude that the people in charge of the footballing side of things have not a clue, or the people in charge of PR have not got a clue.

I’m going with both.

mav_9me

Next briefing i guarantee will be this.

"Difficult transfer window. Looking to get DOF to streamline transfers".