MEN: United targeting 4 players for next summer

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Leicester are not parting with either Chilwell or Maddison for any less than what we paid for Maguire.

Sancho is fecking elite...it's just never happening.

IrishMcD

He’s 16! Rice may or may not be the right signing but he would be a first team signing straight into the team. I’m talking instantly not 2 years time.
He is 16, and I think he is already a better allround player than Rice. Just my opinion. Go have a look at him for a few games and see if you'd jump on the hype train. Now, I'm not saying he is gonna make us challenge for a title, I'm saying he doesn't be a better signing than Rice, and a cheaper one. I think Rice would be a massive, massive waste of money.
Obviously I'd prefer Partey, Saul, Kante etc, but between Rice and this kid, it's absolute,y no contest. Again, just my opinion.

TheReligion

Abusive
Best move we could make. Would solve so many of our problems on the pitch. Worth every single penny.

Better sign him now or Real Madrid/Man City will step in and take him.
Problem is why would he sign for United? No one wants to come to the club or live in the rainy North.

lex talionis

Commenting on media reports at this point in time is useless.

The wish list as it stands right now, at least for me:

Sancho and Maddison

I'm not ready to give up on Martial and Rashford just yet, James looks a solid buy and Greenwood (now 18) looks an outstanding prospect. So no need for a 9 at this time, even though our scoring output is embarrassing.

Whether we keep or sell Pogba, let's bring in Maddison.

I like Chilwell, he's definitely an upgrade on Shaw, but I don't think we should give up on Shaw yet and in any event Leicester City are going to sell us both Chilwell and Maddison in the same transfer window.

Rice? There's a lot to like about his game but he's not a $100m acquisition. I'm pleased with McTominay's development.

Give me this XI, plus a return to known top form from existing players (which may require a new manager to pull out)...

De Gea
Wan-Bissaka Maguire Lindelof Shaw
McTominay Pogba
Sancho Maddison James
Martial (or Rashford/Greenwood?)

...and my expectations will be very high. We may need to bring in a top shelf LB and CM, but if we can somehow bring in Sancho and Maddison (probably unrealistic) and wring out better finishing by either Martial or Rashford (or maybe hand the gavel to Greenwood?) we're suddenly a club that's just below Liverpool and City IMHO.

RedDevilRoshi

Problem is why would he sign for United? No one wants to come to the club or live in the rainy North.
He’s a local lad. Would have no problem settling in. Supported the club when he was a youngster.

This guy could be the Messiah. We don’t get him then I’m afraid we are Championship bound. Trips to Luton Town & Queens Park Raisins could be on the horizon.

RedDevilUnited369

It’s October and we’re announcing to the world who were targeting. No other big club does this.

And come next summer we’ll end up if with one maybe two.
Club is a mess.

marktan

'Next year'

'Next summer'

And then year after year we sign feck all and sell / lose our better players.

GenZRed

Sancho would be crazy to join Man United. Sad fact, to think that this club was attractive to the young Rooney and Ronaldo. We are a joke now.

Alabaster Codify7

Are people still GENUINELY discussing the possibility of signing Jadon fecking Sancho in the summer?!

Boys.

He rejected us this summer, we finished 6th. How do you propose we change his mind to come and play for a team outside the TOP 6 with no European football whatsoever to speak of, to play for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer alongside the likes of Lingard, Mata, McTominay and other Europa League standard players? We are fast becoming the biggest laughing stock, deluded fanbase in football. The level of delusion baffles me.

Boys - we are not at the big boys table anymore, and we haven't been for a good few years. Wake up.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He is 16, and I think he is already a better allround player than Rice. Just my opinion. Go have a look at him for a few games and see if you'd jump on the hype train. Now, I'm not saying he is gonna make us challenge for a title, I'm saying he doesn't be a better signing than Rice, and a cheaper one. I think Rice would be a massive, massive waste of money.
Obviously I'd prefer Partey, Saul, Kante etc, but between Rice and this kid, it's absolute,y no contest. Again, just my opinion.
I’d prefer Kante or Partey

Just saying that it’s a huge ask for a 16 year old to become a first teamer at a huge club like united straight away. Too big a leap. We need instant fixes in the middle

IrishMcD

I’d prefer Kante or Partey

Just saying that it’s a huge ask for a 16 year old to become a first teamer at a huge club like united straight away. Too big a leap. We need instant fixes in the middle
Again I completely agree with you, point I'm making is Rice is nowhere near an instant fix, nor will he ever be in my opinion.

BlackBen

Agreed. He completely bossed it against Veratti when they beat PSG 2-1 this season. He also won the ligue 1 player of the month for August if I'm not mistaken. He's a really special kid.

I understand @golden_blunder 's concern but compared to Rice, I'd rather this kid.

Cloud7

Who the feck thinks that leaking these sort of stories is a good idea? Just how out of touch do you have to be to think that this is the way to placate the disgruntled fanbase?

klayton88

I'm targeting Jennifer Aniston any time in the next 5 years. Doesn't mean it's happening. Shite article. Pointless thread.

RUCK4444

Commenting on media reports at this point in time is useless.

The wish list as it stands right now, at least for me:

Sancho and Maddison

I'm not ready to give up on Martial and Rashford just yet, James looks a solid buy and Greenwood (now 18) looks an outstanding prospect. So no need for a 9 at this time, even though our scoring output is embarrassing.

Whether we keep or sell Pogba, let's bring in Maddison.

I like Chilwell, he's definitely an upgrade on Shaw, but I don't think we should give up on Shaw yet and in any event Leicester City are going to sell us both Chilwell and Maddison in the same transfer window.

Rice? There's a lot to like about his game but he's not a $100m acquisition. I'm pleased with McTominay's development.

Give me this XI, plus a return to known top form from existing players (which may require a new manager to pull out)...

De Gea
Wan-Bissaka Maguire Lindelof Shaw
McTominay Pogba
Sancho Maddison James
Martial (or Rashford/Greenwood?)

...and my expectations will be very high. We may need to bring in a top shelf LB and CM, but if we can somehow bring in Sancho and Maddison (probably unrealistic) and wring out better finishing by either Martial or Rashford (or maybe hand the gavel to Greenwood?) we're suddenly a club that's just below Liverpool and City IMHO.
This echoes my thoughts exactly. I really hope Ole can turn it around before we sack him off and start the merry go round again, just for some has been to scrap what is currently a weak side but it’s the base for a potentially very good side.

Like I mentioned in the Old voting thread, we are a few signings away from looking a lot lot better.
It’s the first time I felt like that in a while.

It has nothing to do with our very poor start to the season, it has everything to do with being able to see an actual direction and base for a new squad. This is why I’m willing to stick it out with Ole for the time being.

Inter Yer Nan

Ah the usual, we are doing shite and had a terrible summer so let's run this drivel to the press and hope it raised spirits.

We will sign three players maximum and one will be a cheaper young signing like James or Dalot.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Just like we were targeting 6 signings for last summer

meninred

To me we need 2 players to compete TOP 4..a defensive midfielder and a goal scorer. If we can get both in January that would be great.
Rashford and Martical are both suited as wing strikers who can get you 10-12 goals.
by adding a striker around 20 goals ..it would help us for TOP 4..

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Leicester knew that they were going to lose Maguire & bought two young CB's the Summer before to offset this. The same will happen with Maddison, Chilwell & Ndidi, Leicester will not sell until they have replacements set up. Premier league clubs saw what happened with the Liverpool - Southampton scenario and with TV money won't be pushed around. I agree with other posters in saying that an English base is unreasonable, European clubs are not able to turn down Premier League money & Ole needs to build with a blend of both.

Redstar7

We should sign this japananese player minamino.He scores against liverpool and had very good game.

AP88

Supports
Man City
We will need to sign at least two players in January to make the top 6 this year. Otherwise we'll be out of Europe.
Wouldn’t be a bad thing from a rebuild perspective - use this season to develop players/identify those who simply aren’t up to it, recruit heavily in the summer and then be in a position to focus on the league and domestic cups next year.

Liverpool nearly won the league in 2014 in similar circumstances, while Juventus and Chelsea won titles under Conte while being solely focused on domestic football.

That’s why if I was in charge now, I’d be giving Greenwood and Gomes as many minutes at #9 and #10 respectively as possible - Rashford and Lingard have no future at the top level, so the kids might as well be forging platform now upon which the rest of their careers can be built upon.

Skills

Snitch
The next managers in big trouble if Ole gets to assemble his Brexit XI

Mark Pawelek

Maddison is ok I guess but only Sancho from that list would be a decent upgrade I feel.
Plus Rice and co will cost a fecking fortune.
So why the enthusiasm for spending buckets on squad quality players. United need to put more effort in buying the best potentials. At the most optimistic, at least 9 of the current squad need to be replaced (Grant, Matic, Young, Jones, Rojo, Bailly, Lingard, Mata, Pereira). Add to that, the missing players at (striker, right-winger, defensive midfield). That makes 11. I can't see United buying 12 players on a budget ot £100m. Even after selling Pogba, if anyone still wants him, it may be hard to get the cash. Isn't it better to have a strong squad, rather than star players plus a weak squad? I though the whole galáctico syndrome was over. At the price they'll want for Madison, he'll essentially be a squaddie for the price of a galáctico.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Rashford
James - Maddison - Sancho
Rice - McTominay
Chillwell - Maguire - Jones - Wan Bissaka
Henderson​

I can't remember the last time United fielded an entirely British XI.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
While there are a lot of intangible advantages to signing English players of the requisite standard (acclimated to the culture and weather which can sometimes be an issue with foreign acquisitions, typically don't transfer abroad so they will be long-term additions because United won't sell to domestic rival), surely we must cast a wider net instead of dropping Galáctico level figures on practically all of those four?

Considering that, I'm not really sure about Maddison: who will cost £80 million, if not more. He's definitely a good player but United could probably sign both Olmo and Ziyech for that type of fee — which will be better for the squad as a whole because we need starting quality + depth in midfield and attack. Ditto Rice...Garner aside, maybe we can try to tempt Benfica with a ~£70 million fee for Florentino (who's arguably the best young defensive midfielder in club football since Rodri at Villarreal), or try for cheaper alternatives like Partey or Martínez/Álvarez (who are also positionally flexible but more profound on the ball).

Sancho and Chilwell, on the other hand, would be quality additions. Though even for the latter, you could instead get someone like Tagliafico for a lower fee ⁠— there's a wealth of options at Ajax, and a lot of them would do well at United despite playing in a weaker league because they are giving a good account of themselves in European competitions (like the early 2010s batch of Vertonghen, Eriksen and Alderweireld via Atlético/Southampton for Tottenham). Mind, this is taking the article at face value, Luckhurst doesn't have a consistent track record and could well be chatting shite!

sherrinford

So why the enthusiasm for spending buckets on squad quality players. United need to put more effort in buying the best potentials. At the most optimistic, at least 9 of the current squad need to be replaced (Grant, Matic, Young, Jones, Rojo, Bailly, Lingard, Mata, Pereira). Add to that, the missing players at (striker, right-winger, defensive midfield). That makes 11. I can't see United buying 12 players on a budget ot £100m. Even after selling Pogba, if anyone still wants him, it may be hard to get the cash. Isn't it better to have a strong squad, rather than star players plus a weak squad? I though the whole galáctico syndrome was over. At the price they'll want for Madison, he'll essentially be a squaddie for the price of a galáctico.
Sancho, Maddison and Rice fit the ‘best potentials’ bracket quite well. They wouldn’t be squad players and are in no way ‘galacticos’.

Also, it’s most certainly better to have a strong first eleven and comparably poor squad, than to have a competitive squad but with decidedly less quality in any preferred starting lineup.

foxedup

Supports
Leicester
I don't think Leicester are going to sell us 3 of their best players in 12 months.

4 isn't enough anyway, we need 5-7.

I'd like us to go for Digne, Ndidi, Sancho, Odegaard & Piatek. We need someone who can get us 20-25 goals a season, Piatek is that guy.
Just to clarify, neither Maguire or Chilwell are close to being our "best players", they were both outshone by Evans and Ricardo last season in defence. Maddison and Tielemans are better, Vardy is better and so is N'didi... and after Praet's last few games and Soyuncu's start to the season, they both look on course for being better.

Don't get my wrong, solid players and I would rather not lose Chilwell just as I wouldn't Maguire at the time (it's actually been a blessing with hindsight). Maddison I would be pissed as he's started the season brilliantly.

Zlatattack

Nothing will happen. In fact we should make a list of every player we get linked with between now and the close of the next summer transfer window. I bet it's close to 50 players.

Seven Seas Sardines

My dream window with reasons for moving.

Håland - 30m (Ole)
Sancho - 100m (Rashy and JLingZ)
Maddison - 60m (childhood fan)
Partey - 45m (Africa = United)
Chilwell - 40m (besties Maddison and Maguire)

275m - 130m(Pogba) = £145m net spend

Last edited:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
My dream window with reasons for moving.

Håland - 30m (Ole)
Sancho - 100m (Rashy and JLingZ)
Maddison - 60m (childhood fan)
Partey - 45m (Africa = United)
Chilwell - 40m (besties Maddison and Maguire)

275m - 130m(Pogba) = £145m net spend
When we've just bought Maguire for 80m, and attacking players generally go for more, we'd be doing well to get Maddison for that.

And when you buy Wan Bissaka for 50m, who hasn't even got an England cap yet, I dare say they'd want more for Chilwell