MEN: United targeting 4 players for next summer

Bestietom

If it's Woody over the transfers again, he would need to start negotiating now and he may get 2 of them over the line before 2021.

Jibbs

No they wouldn't. We need creativity in our team, going for two holding midfielders makes no sense.

Neves is not even all that, why do you think we need him?
We need the grit in midfield that Ndidi brings, Neves is not much of holding midfielder, he does the job when required, but he is more of KdB type player and the things he is capable of doing, not many midfielders can do.

Brophs

The One and Only
I, for one, can’t wait to welcome all four players to the club.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Sell Pogba for 100m, bring in Rice for 80m

Profit in that.

Champagne Football

Luckhurst said the exact same list of players this time exactly a year ago, apart from Maddison. It's lazy clickbait. Similar to the garbage that massive clown Miguel Delaney came out with a few days ago saying we were buying Mandzukic and Ousmane Dembele in January.

I can see Liverpool landing Sancho next summer if they sell Mo Salah to Madrid or PSG.

Rabbi Matondo for the right wing next summer is possibly more realistic than Sancho.

Moussa Dembele or Erling Haaland will probably be our next striker signing.

Maddison will go for £120+ million next summer. So we may turn our attention to David Brooks instead.

John McGinn is far better than any central midfielder we have and can play as a deep-lying playmaker. Is Pogba injured on Thursday so he won't be cup-tied for the Champions League in January? If Garner performs when given a chance then maybe we will scrap midfielder plans.

And we might be OK for left back by the summer if Brandon Williams takes his chance.

So after that rant I'm going with Matondo, Maddison, Moussa Dembele and John McGinn as the 4 players we will sign in the next 2 windows.

Last edited:

Bestietom

Sell Pogba for 130million. Bring in Pelegrini 50 million and Maia 40 million. Still 40 million profit. and Pogbas wages will pay both.

Suedesi

Sancho, Maddison, Chilwell and Rice being the rumoured 4.
Sounds like a briefing from Ed Woodward FC. Amazing, muppets all go crazy, MEN drives clicks, fan engagement metrics go up, sponsors are happy.

We won't get Sancho nor Rice, we'll end up buying Chilwell or paying 100 million for Maddison who's not United quality.

In October 2020 after another fan discontent, Ed will extend Greenwood and target Sancho, Rice, and 2 other flavors of the month.

RINSE, REPEAT.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Sounds like a briefing from Ed Woodward FC. Amazing, muppets all go crazy, MEN drives clicks, fan engagement metrics go up, sponsors are happy.

We won't get Sancho nor Rice, we'll end up buying Chilwell or paying 100 million for Maddison who's not United quality.

In October 2020 after another fan discontent, Ed will extend Greenwood and target Sancho, Rice, and 2 other flavors of the month.

RINSE, REPEAT.
He's worth closer to £150 according to Leicester City fans, but we'll end up paying closer to £200 million because Woodward.

Roboc7

I love how people act like Maguire's been a huge success here all the time. He's been decent. Nothing more so far.
And players like Maddison and Rice would be the same, decent players who improve the team but are nothing special and cost double market value.

Have to wonder how our scouting and recruitment is so bad and why nothing has been done about it. Rice and Maddison would cost 180m conservatively, should be able to find better players for less.

Suedesi

He's worth closer to £150 according to Leicester City fans, but we'll end up paying closer to £200 million because Woodward.
He's a flashy fcker with little end product to accompany his poncy attitude and expensive LV bags. An upgraded JLingz. DO NOT WANT.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The only player United should be targeting from Leicester is Wilfred Ndidi.

Wolves are not doing well and may as well get relegated, in any case this year is the perfect time to go for Neves.

Ndidi and Neves will be wonderful additions to our midfield and in case we loose Pogba, we can go for Fernandes, Maddison or Odegaard, whoever is easily available.
Neves is no way wonderful addition

Greck

RINSE, REPEAT.
A briefing from Woodward would be carried by Simon Stone, the guardian etc.

Suedesi

And players like Maddison and Rice would be the same, decent players who improve the team but are nothing special and cost double market value.

Have to wonder how our scouting and recruitment is so bad and why nothing has been done about it. Rice and Maddison would cost 180m conservatively, should be able to find better players for less.
I remember watching United - Hull back in the Zlatan days (believe we lost 2-1 but qualified having beaten them at OT) and it was clear to me and my mate at the bar that slaphead was good. He dominated Phil Jones physically who's a unit. Why oh why do we have to wait 2 years and tack on 70 million on top of his transfer fee.

Roboc7

I remember watching United - Hull back in the Zlatan days (believe we lost 2-1 but qualified having beaten them at OT) and it was clear to me and my mate at the bar that slaphead was good. Why oh why do we have to wait 2 years and tack on 70 million on top of his transfer fee.

I remember the same he stood out at Hull as being a good player with lots of potential. We bought Lindelof for double the price instead and then a year later were interested in Maguire for 60m.

I like Maguire but he was never close to an 85m player just like Maddison isn’t an 80-100m player or Rice 60-70m.

Are our scouts incompetent or does Woodward find it difficult to deal with European clubs?. I cannot understand how we have landed on a policy of over priced British players being the key to success.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Neves is no way wonderful addition
Agreed. Too lightweight.
I remember watching United - Hull back in the Zlatan days (believe we lost 2-1 but qualified having beaten them at OT) and it was clear to me and my mate at the bar that slaphead was good. He dominated Phil Jones physically who's a unit. Why oh why do we have to wait 2 years and tack on 70 million on top of his transfer fee.

I think that's when most of us started rating him. Even though we eventually got him, it is annoying that we didn't just sign him from Hull. It was a no brainer!

Castia

Not a single striker mentioned. Load of bollocks.

The British thing is getting a bit weird as well.

IrishMcD

You’re advocating signing a 16 year old to go straight into a PL first team? Pfffffft
In fairness, I agree with him. Rice is nothing special and this kid most certainly is!! If you haven't watched him, try and watch him for a game or two. (Not gonna suggest watching a YouTube package because they make even Lingard look half decent). I bet you will have him high on your list of dream signings. And I would bet we would get him for a damn sight less than it would cost to sign Rice.

Welbeckham

If we only try to sign every relatively young England international outside our top 6 rivals, our scouting system is absolutely useless. And that would cost us £300m or so and we wouldn’t probably still make it to the top 4.

Rice is the most realistic, but he’d be the least exciting signing of those. Just like Maguire and AWB, much better than the dross we have but probably still not able to improve us significantly.

Gopher Brown

Too little, too late. We will have fallen further behind the top, we’re already 12 points behind Liverpool ffs.

Every season we need to be serious about a title challenge, otherwise what’s the fecking point?

bondsname

Leicester will probably play in the champions league next season, Dortmund too. It would be career suicide if they came here. No chance of this happening, especially in January.

Walters_19_MuFc

Think the young English talent is getting to Ole's head. Yes, I like that we're going for younger players, but there's other talent out there.

I like Rice, but he's not the kind of player we should be targeting. Good off the ball, but if we're looking for someone to partner McTominay in a 4231, then we should go with someone who can control the game for us.

I would obviously take Sancho and Maddison in a heartbeat. I think those two have the ability to take our attack to another level. That said, the both will be very expensive and hard to get, especially the former.

Chilwell is a very good player, but not priority at the moment. I would much prefer us to get a striker and permanently move Rashford to the wing.

Whatever Ole does do next season, it's clear that we need at least three attacking players to, not only bolster our squad, but add more quality to it.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
In fairness, I agree with him. Rice is nothing special and this kid most certainly is!! If you haven't watched him, try and watch him for a game or two. (Not gonna suggest watching a YouTube package because they make even Lingard look half decent). I bet you will have him high on your list of dream signings. And I would bet we would get him for a damn sight less than it would cost to sign Rice.
He’s 16! Rice may or may not be the right signing but he would be a first team signing straight into the team. I’m talking instantly not 2 years time.

Amerifan

Leicester are challenging for top 4. They’ll be buying not selling. Sancho isn’t coming here. What can we offer him? Our next window won’t be £300 million. Clickbait article.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama

Interestingly, Moyes was rumored to be interested in him during the summer of 2013 when he was still playing for Sheffield United.

Mainoldo

We are recruiting well they say :lol::lol:.

Anychance of us getting linked with players that have technique! (Yes Sterotyping seeing as we want English because they are passionate).

ravi2

I saw this same article last year and we all know how this summer ended up and as long is Ed is in change this summer will be no different.

hobbers

£120m+ for Sancho: fair enough if we could get him. Would he want to join a club managed by Solskjaer that's just gone and finished say 8th though?

£70m+ for Rice: no. Awful signing for the money it would take. Dozens of better options around in Europe.

£xm for Maddison and/or Chillwell: Signing both wouldnt happen. Either would be good signings for the right money, but Leicester will demand double the right money.

lon ball2

It looks like Maddison is the top target - and he’ll cost over £100mil. So would Sancho so I can’t see us bagging both, even if we sell Pogba. Chilwell won’t happen and if he leaves it’ll be to City who are sniffing around. If I could sign 4 players it would be

1) partey
2) timo Werner
3) Maddison
4) sancho

I don’t want the club to go anywhere near Rice when we could potentially sign better players in Neves or Partey. the only player from West Ham we should be interested in is Diop

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Jadon Sancho is a beast at his age, he's the guy I target first next season, and just get it done.

I don't see the love for Rice, he's a OK PL player, but he doesn't inspire a lot of hype in me. I'd be happy to pass on him.

Maddison is going to be overpriced, but he's a good player.

Haaland is getting a lot of hype, but lets see what he does against Virgil in Liverpool today. (Haaland is not starting, unfortunately he has not been well).

Greck

This British core thing has to be done selectively. If we limit iour rebuild to British players available in a 2 year timeframe we will regret it. Used to support this type of policy and would follow young British talent closely. Is exactly how I realised just how few of them ever kick on from the initial wonder kid hype. The last generation especially was supposed to be a golden generation. By now we thought we'd be fielding Josh Mceachran, Barkley, Wilshere, Welbeck. Phil 'Duncan Edwards' Jones, Jack Rodwell, Cleverley etc. The common pattern is any British teenager with some ball skills is called a wonderkid

At the time no one would have believed none would amount to much. if by some misguided policy we put all our eggs in the young British basket back then we would have ended up even worse off than we already are.

Trying to replicate the class of 92 in this manner is like trying to win a lottery twice. It's not smart

Last edited:

GenZRed

I like Sancho and Maddison but I'm hoping were not as obsessed with English players as the media likes suggest because that would batshit stupid.
AWB and Maguire have been solid for far. Sancho certainly has talent. Whether that talent would be fulfilled at Man Unite din the state we are in is another story though.

Anyway, we have tried signing mega stars for years now and it hasn't worked out as planned, Pogba and ADM spring to mind.

SER19

Oh piss off with this shit at least wait until summer before trying to pull the wool over our eyes. If we were a remotely significant club we could have signed each of those over the past 2-3 years without fuss. (apart from sancho maybe)

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I don't think Leicester are going to sell us 3 of their best players in 12 months.

4 isn't enough anyway, we need 5-7.

I'd like us to go for Digne, Ndidi, Sancho, Odegaard & Piatek. We need someone who can get us 20-25 goals a season, Piatek is that guy.

Last edited:

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I refuse to fall for this again. International tournament summer so it will be doubly difficult to bring anybody significant in. We'll promote some youth and buy maybe 1 player the week before the window.

Irrational.

I'd like to see Sancho, Haland, Maddison and Partey.

We'll end up with Longstaff, Rice, Lyon's Dembele and Dier.

#Young#Hungry#AlmostBritish