MERGED: Rooney signs new contract!

talking robot

i'm not assuming that he's been honest. i'm just pointing out the fact that he hasn't said anything that would prevent him from coming back to the club. all the talk about him going to city has been pure speculation up to this point. if rooney were to ever say explicitly that he wants to go to city, then i agree that at that point, he would never be accepted by the fans again. but he's not said anything like that. his discourse is basically the same as what gerrard's was when he was considering jumping ship to chelsea. it's by no means a bridge burner to say that he has doubts about the future of the club.

There is a time for considering your options - the day the new season starts isn't it.

In any case, what you're saying there assumes that Rooney is being honest when we all know he isn't.

Look at the logic here:-

Manchester United - 30 trophies in the last 24 years or something.

Manchester City - No trophies in the last 34 years or something.

"Ummm... I think City will offer me the best chance of winning trophies"

No. City will offer me the most money - pure and simple.

42 euros

Aka Giggs 11 times
There is no chance United are going to offer him a new contract. Fergie's tone and demenor last night showed he'd had more than enough of the whole circus. Problem is employment law is a nightmare and a plan will have to be carefully worked out to protect the club from any more harm. How to keep the fat cnut away from Carrington and the team while not risking a lawsuit that we mistreated the poor lad and he cops compensation or even worse the contract is terminated by the courts.

talking robot

You think a 24 year old signing a contract is signing his last big contract?

I could understand if he was 28...but he's 24!
i think his form will drop off severely by the time he hits 28 or 29, similar to raul. he's been playing first team football since 17 years old, and i think it is going to catch up with him.

CptMarvel

what do the bookies say?

BETTING HEADLINES

Will Rooney be wearing the blue of City?

ROONEY'S UNITED CAREER OVER?
Sky Bet's Odds Compare All Prices
Click here for our interactive football stats

Paddy Power has responded to punters' requests and offers 7/2 that Wayne Rooney never plays for Manchester United again.

As the fallout from Sir Alex Ferguson's Tuesday press conference continues there appears to be a widespread belief given Fergie's strongly worded condemnation of his star player that Rooney will never don the red shirt of United again.

But Paddy Power disagree that Rooney's United career is already at a close, offering 1/6 he plays for United again before the end of the season.

Meanwhile Chelsea have been the market movers in the last 24 hours regarding Rooney's next club. The Premier League champions have come in from 8/1 to 4/1 as punters saw value in one of the few English clubs likely to be able to afford Rooney's wages.

Beyond the London club punters are unable to split Manchester City and Real Madrid as their favourites with both clubs currently at 2/1, Real coming in from 11/4.

Darren Haines, spokesman for Paddy Power, said: "Fergie has firmly painted Rooney as the devil in this situation, and when he puts a player out in the cold there is rarely anyway back for them to play for the Red Devils again."

United face City on November 19, and Sky Bet make Rooney evens to start that game

Zen86

You had respect for Rooney? How and why? I liked him as a United player but that is where it ended? Respect?
Well, he was always a twat, but he was our twat and a seamingly loyal one as well (at least to us). I find comfort in the fact that most of the country appears to be turning on him at the moment.

December_16

There is no chance United are going to offer him a new contract. Fergie's tone and demenor last night showed he'd had more than enough of the whole circus. Problem is employment law is a nightmare and a plan will have to be carefully worked out to protect the club from any more harm. How to keep the fat cnut away from Carrington and the team while not risking a lawsuit that we mistreated the poor lad and he cops compensation or even worse the contract is terminated by the courts.
Nail meets head. I think this is exactly why it takes this long.

wr8_utd

:'(
It will be really interesting if he plays against City in a few weeks time and/or if he comes on and scores a winner. Parting gift?

wr8_utd

Do Daily Mail make up quotes?

I don't remember reading Evra's quotes as this :
'Wayne is one of the best players we have. Everyone knows that,' full-back Patrice Evra said.

'I don't really know what he has said but I hope he gets fit quickly and I sincerely hope he plays for us again.

'But I am not Wayne Rooney. I am not Sir Alex Ferguson.'

:confused:

Or maybe he did.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
The meetings would have been full on today. I cant imagine that the club would have started conversations on the back foot and from a position of weakness. SAF would have started with a hard opening position of 'we're going to sell you to the highest bidder' and I imagine will only be convinced the change his mind if Rooney begs and pleads that he was mistaken and be given a chance to make amends.

SAF mentioned this has been going on since August 18th. An organization as well run as manchester United will have 'disaster mode' processes already worked out for situations like this. Likewise, SAF and Gill have both been at the club during Keane's and Tevez exit from the club. So the club has had more than enough time to prepare for such an exit and have would have already established who might buy him and what the sequence of events need to be.

Rooney's position at the club has become untenable. He has become too big a distraction for the club to go about its business of winning football matches. Its been affecting the squad for too long already and SAF and the board will be well aware that the sooner a conclusion is reached, the better it is for the club.

I think he'll be sold and that the club is taking the time to get feelers from interested clubs so that it can make an informed decision on how to proceed. In the meantime, Stretford will have been told that Rooney can effectively take gardening leave until such a time as he is sold.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Striker 10? Fred?
hold on for a second here. Make no mistake I don't like it but I know we're a better team with a happy wayne in the team. If the players can forgive him then we can and i'll tell you another thing. Sir Alex controls the dressing room. Don't think that the players have any say. They respect Sir Alex too much.

It's very complicated. The idea you can write off 50+ million just like that won't happen. He's worth too much to the club which is why we're willing to offer him a good wage inspite of his performances. I am willing to forgive him and you want to know why?

Sir Alex said it a week or so back. It's water of a ducks back to him. You have to consider what's best for the club. We saw with Ronaldo, a player we knew wanted to leave how the supporters reacted. You don't have to like it and in time forgiveness comes because people are like that and waynes form will return eventually. I can't say anymore because unfortunately people highlight my posts but I believe that today has shown it is not as simple as some people think and at the end of the day who cares?

We all want what is best.

Kelvin

Wayne Rooney will enable Manchester City to 'win everything' says Carlos Tevez
Exclusive: Sheikh Mansour has personally asked Carlos Tévez whether he thinks Manchester City should sign Wayne Rooney with the striker fuelling the club owner’s appetite to pursue the audacious transfer by telling him: “with Wayne we will win everything”.

fecking moron....:boring:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
OK something is going on. Possibly just contract negotations. Personally I think the way his croonies are playing this is piss poor. Comes down to trying to use the fans support to engineer a huge hike in his wages. How is this gonna help his cause? It's a long time till January. Anyone claiming it's the press need to answer why his camp haven't denied this story as soon as it came out. With all the other problems in his life trying this tactic is madness.

So, when the white Pele (haha) plays again how much stick will he get? Keane, Rio and Ronaldo have all walked this path and got varying degrees of abuse. I would compare this more with Ronnie and a lot of fans never forgave him during his last season with us. Personally I could never boo a United player but OT seems to be the home to a growing number of fickle fans.

I'm posting this now because unless/until he signs a new contract this story will just keep growing...
Nearly 600k views in less than a week .... that must be a Redcafe record!!!! If I remember correctly, Ronaldo got to 1.2 million views after pretty much a long summer ..... this thread will break all records!

dev1l

metro.co.uk/sport/football/844762-manchester-united-pleading-with-wayne-rooney-not-to-join-city

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The meetings would have been full on today. I cant imagine that the club would have started conversations on the back foot and from a position of weakness. SAF would have started with a hard opening position of 'we're going to sell you to the highest bidder' and I imagine will only be convinced the change his mind if Rooney begs and pleads that he was mistaken and be given a chance to make amends.
Very interesting point.

Clearly Rooney and his Agent have plans and have probably talked to a club already and have ideas of what sort of contract he will be getting there.

If this is the case, I think it's important for this Club, Ferguson and quite frankly Football as a whole that we are not bullied into giving Rooney the move he has already started to engineer.

We need to make it clear that you can't always have what you want, if he doesn't want to be at this club, very well. We have him under contract and we will decide who we accept bids from. If he then wants to have a 20 months turning up to training and not playing Football because he doesn't want to go to whatever club we sell him to, that is his perrogative.

I really hope we make such a firm stance here.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
metro.co.uk/sport/football/844762-manchester-united-pleading-with-wayne-rooney-not-to-join-city
If Rooney does join city, no matter how we may dislike how they have acquired their spending power, he will be the marque signing that will fast track their development.

How we laughed when they tried to sign Kaka, but if they have the likes of Rooney, Tevez, Ballotelli and Troure on their books, I would expect that in the summer they will further kick on and acquire some more major big time players and effectively create a squad comparable to Madrid.

Of course, my United loyalties make the thought of it sick, but from a neutral footballing point of view, its a quality squad they are stacking up that will inevitably play some sensational football.

wr8_utd

Interesting stuff said by Andy Cole about Stretford:

The former Manchester United striker and Paul Stretford client Andy Cole has this evening asserted that Stretford “is a key factor in what’s going on with Manchester United’s best player [Wayne Rooney] at the moment.”

Writing in his column for the Friday edition of the Abu Dhabi newspaper, The National, (link to full column here) Cole recalls how Stretford “became a big part of my life”, gained him a record transfer to Manchester United and “made me part of the family.”

He writes: ”I moved to Manchester and stayed at Stretford’s house as he made me part of the family. I thought it was a generous gesture – I later found out that he had been deducting rent from my earnings…

“[Stretford] hated the idea of anyone getting close to me, just as he does with Wayne. He was very domineering, but I let him be like that because I thought he had my best interest at heart.”

Cole goes on to write that he stopped hearing from Stretford when he was no longer making the agent money. He also suggests Stretford as a plan for Rooney.
But Stretford obviously considered me to be a client and nothing more, because as soon as I stopped making him money I didn't hear from him. I expected much better. He was a small-time agent when he took me on and used my name to attract other players.

Stretford wasn't motivated by friendships, but money. I wasn't the only player who stopped hearing from him when I'd served my purpose. People don't speak well of him. I've seen him a few times since and he's had nothing more than a grunt from me.

There's a lot of second guessing going on with Rooney at the moment, but Stretford will be very close to the decision making. He'll have a plan for Wayne on and off the field.

I'd be surprised if he hadn't sounded options out. He gets his buzz doing big deals. And his financial cut.

I gave him plenty of deals and he loved all that. And it would give him great satisfaction if he could make his client Wayne Rooney the best paid player in football.

wr8_utd

And more on him :

DickinsonTimes "I felt betrayed by this man I had trusted completely...he milked it for all it was worth." Collymore on Stretford. Seems to be a theme...

Mick1991

Aye, Andy Cole will tell you the exact same about him.

Edit::lol: I should really stop reading just the last comment!

dev1l

cole is simply confirming that Stretford is an opportunistic scumbag..

nooshka

The former Manchester United striker and Paul Stretford client Andy Cole has this evening asserted that Stretford “is a key factor in what’s going on with Manchester United’s best player [Wayne Rooney] at the moment.”

Writing in his column for the Friday edition of the Abu Dhabi newspaper, The National, (link to full column here) Cole recalls how Stretford “became a big part of my life”, gained him a record transfer to Manchester United and “made me part of the family.”

He writes: ”I moved to Manchester and stayed at Stretford’s house as he made me part of the family. I thought it was a generous gesture – I later found out that he had been deducting rent from my earnings…

“[Stretford] hated the idea of anyone getting close to me, just as he does with Wayne. He was very domineering, but I let him be like that because I thought he had my best interest at heart.”

Cole goes on to write that he stopped hearing from Stretford when he was no longer making the agent money. He also suggests Stretford as a plan for Rooney.
But Stretford obviously considered me to be a client and nothing more, because as soon as I stopped making him money I didn't hear from him. I expected much better. He was a small-time agent when he took me on and used my name to attract other players.

Stretford wasn't motivated by friendships, but money. I wasn't the only player who stopped hearing from him when I'd served my purpose. People don't speak well of him. I've seen him a few times since and he's had nothing more than a grunt from me.

There's a lot of second guessing going on with Rooney at the moment, but Stretford will be very close to the decision making. He'll have a plan for Wayne on and off the field.

I'd be surprised if he hadn't sounded options out. He gets his buzz doing big deals. And his financial cut.

I gave him plenty of deals and he loved all that. And it would give him great satisfaction if he could make his client Wayne Rooney the best paid player in football.
Was just gonna post that. Here's the article with a bit more in it.

Rooney's agent and how he treated me

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
Maybe the stumbling block in the negotiations is that United have told him that they will go along with his wishes and transfer list him in January, the proviso being that they are not prepared to sell him to certain PL clubs.......one of which he unfortunately happens to have already made a deal with. They'll no doubt fit a gagging clause in the deal somewhere if they can manage it.

tippex

i think his form will drop off severely by the time he hits 28 or 29, similar to raul. he's been playing first team football since 17 years old, and i think it is going to catch up with him.
Not doing 2 bad considering he scored twice last night for shalke and was an ever present for Real for how many years?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Here is what Stretford looks like:

He is obviously very well tuned in with players who trust him enough to feck with people like SAF. Im guessing he is one heck of a formidable figure and does not take shit from anyone. Probably abit like SAF. A meeting between the 2 of them would make such fascinating viewing.

I have no issues with people like Stretford advising players .... and think its disingenuous people putting too much blame on them. They are hired by players to help then get a handle on their market worth and then to help them achieve that projection. But a the end of the day, its the player who makes the decisions and calls the shots. The responsibility has to ultimately lie with the player.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

Just confirmation of what we all already thought of the scrote really.

AlwaysRedwood

We need to make it clear that you can't always have what you want, if he doesn't want to be at this club, very well. We have him under contract and we will decide who we accept bids from. If he then wants to have a 20 months turning up to training and not playing Football because he doesn't want to go to whatever club we sell him to, that is his perrogative.

I really hope we make such a firm stance here.
Interesting. Kind of has to do done, from a business perspective, doesn't it? You just can't have the players running the transfer policy and that's sort of what it looks like if he goes where he wants.

kundalini

Quality post.

You can even add trying to get Rooney and his team to stop briefing the press to the list of issues to overcome somehow.

Bryan_Munich

Aka RichieRich12
Here is what Stretford looks like:

He is obviously very well tuned in with players who trust him enough to feck with people like SAF. Im guessing he is one heck of a formidable figure and does not take shit from anyone. Probably abit like SAF. A meeting between the 2 of them would make such fascinating viewing.

I have no issues with people like Stretford advising players .... and think its disingenuous people putting too much blame on them. They are hired by players to help then get a handle on their market worth and then to help them achieve that projection. But a the end of the day, its the player who makes the decisions and calls the shots. The responsibility has to ultimately lie with the player.
Still ironic he's a ST holder though.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
cole is simply confirming that Stretford is an opportunistic scumbag..
No he is not, he is simply doing his job as instructed to do so by his clients, the players. I dont get why people find it so easy the bash the agent who is acting on behalf of his clients instructions.

Likewise players like Rooney, Collymore and Cole were small time when they first met Stretford. It was his contacts, acumen and savvy that helped the process in getting them into big clubs like United and Liverpool. Crying wolf after you have got the dosh is poor form.