MERGED: Rooney signs new contract!

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
They still have quality strength in depth. They also haven't lost the best player in the world for £80m and saw none of it properly invested in world-class replacements. Don't be a pedant.
We don't sign 'world class' players.

Red_Jamie

Of course money was an issue, but I also think that was genuinly concerned.. AND... I suspect that Fergie's succesor may also have something to do with it. I'm 100 % convineced that he really does care for the club, and that's why I think it will be unfair of the fans if they give him an overly hard time.
If it was i don't think it was a big one and certainly not his main motive.

For me he WAS genuinely concerned. He does care greatly for the club. But he also cares greatly for his own career and was worried that he was about to sign himself into a contract leaving him in a squad in decline.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
They still have quality strength in depth. They also haven't lost the best player in the world for £80m and saw none of it properly invested in world-class replacements. Don't be a pedant.
It made no sense and wasn't true.

Anyhoo, it's going to be really strange when he plays his next game with us. He's gone from being so much a united player to so little a united player in such little time.

Ekeke

For me he WAS genuinely concerned. He does care greatly for the club. But he also cares greatly for his own career and was worried that he was about to sign himself into a contract leaving him in a squad in decline.
Then he genuinely doesnt understand how the club is run or whats gone on around him in the past 6 years. He is thick as two planks.

I would imagine that there was an element of an ultimatum at the start, wanting to try and push the club to go out and be adventurous in the transfer market. But with his own camp leaking the story that he's not signing and asked to leave, then his comments, then going back on them all and signing a contract - it makes it look like he's been looking at other offers and didnt think it was worth it right now. Or he was asked to make a small sacrifice and sign the contract, so that he can secure the move he really wants in the summer.

Red_Jamie

What planet are you living on? Since when was it ever not about the money. This is nothing to do with the Glazers and we haven't even reached the 'our squad isn't good enough' stage because we have a team that was 1 point from the title. We are going through transition but he knows that and who is he to think he's the best player in the team? He's had the worst start ever and he's parading himself like he's Pele just because he had one top season.
Since there's been NOTHING to dispute that the reasons Rooney gave for wanting away weren't valid.

I personally agreed with nearly every word of his statement the other day. You're welcome to call me fickle but you've no more proof than i was that this was about money.

If you can't see that our squad isn't good enough at the minute you need to take off the red-tinted specs. We wouldn't be going through this so called 'transitional period' has some of the Ronaldo money and our huge profits been invested in world-class replacements rather than being used to pay off the Glazers debts and line their pockets.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs

Spot on, but you can care about the club whilst still having to look after no. 1. He is Everton through and through, yet he had to leave them to progress his career. He must have gone through hell at the time. But he had to do whats best for his career.

wr8_utd

:'(
ayleyMcQueen @rioferdy5 under ** orders I put on my most sexy
voice especially, sadly Georgie Thompson isn't working today stuck with me I'm afriad.

:lol:

Bearded but no genius

So basically, you give it the big I am about wanting these greedy grasping Glazers out of our club. American investors treating the club like a business, pricing the real fans out, football becoming alien from the fans etc etc

But deep down, you're a FM transfer muppet who plays too much FIFA and thinks that the best thing anyone can do in any and every situation is splash loads of money on loads of players and that whenever we don't we're only a step away from complete decline and ruin.

We finished one point off the League last season, won the Carling Cup and got the the CL Quarters, going out unluckily on goal difference with exactly the same squad as this year, minus some helpful new players and - possibly - players like Ando and Hargreaves back.

If you, and Wayne Rooney, and any fan, honestly thinks it's a disgrace we haven't spent money in the last couple of years, and that it's really something you feel you need to make a big fuss over, you can feck right off.....honestly, it's the most depressingly shallow FM spastic and perspectiveless attitude anyone can possibly have..That's what's ruining football to me.

"We're not bringing in marque signings...it's so worrying"...Can you fecking hear yourself?

I'm sorry if that's not the attitude you meant to present, but it's the one I'm seeing...and it's utter bullshit.
Do you want my first born child?

Hitchcocker

I'd just like to point out that I think it is extremely pathetic that some fans think that we should sell him the moment he's signed a five-year deal (assuming that Rooney and United have not agreed that Rooney is to leave United at the end of the season). Sure, Rooney has made a mistake, but loyalty is a two-way street in my books.

CantonaVeron

We don't sign 'world class' players.
Not strictly true, Veron and Van Nistelrooy in one summer, Stam was hardly unknown too. We could compete when needed. Anyway we have always signed the best the league has to offer, Roy Keane, Andy Cole, Dwight Yorke, Rio, Rooney etc players for big fees who are almost garenteed to succeed. Now for whtever reason probably money but also giving the benefit of the doubt maybe bad expereinces with Berbatov and Hargreaves this stoped and we even started selling our best players.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
What's all this tripe from Rooney....!! (Sorry, only just seen this on the telly).

"It's the manager's belief and support which have convinced me to stay".

Has Fergie suddenly developed some belief in Rooney or his squad which he didn't have before, or is Fergie suddenly supporting Rooney or the squad which he didn't do before.

Frankly, those poor PR folk at United seem to be doing their best but the paint they're using is just not thick enough to cover the mess underneath made by Rooney and that agent of his.

Bearded but no genius

Stopped reading there. I've literally never played either of those games in my life.

It doesn't make me a transfer muppet to expect some of the millions upon millions of pounds profit our club makes to go back into signing the worlds best talent. Not the likes of Bebe.

People talk of this being a 'transitional period' but with continued investment in quality players over the last 2 years we could and should still be the best team in the country.
Yes, because in 2 years Bebe is the only player we've bought. For shame.

So you can't answer the question.

How surprising.

Red_Jamie

I think his reasons where mixed sure he wanted more money as everyone of our players probably would. Also he is/was geniuely worried that he would be trapped at a club less their genius manager and with no means of investing in the team. He has obviously been told this is not the case, Ferguson will be staying for the majority of his new contract and we will be investing money in the team.
I agree and let's hope this is the case :yawn:

The thing that bugs me is many fans have been saying the same thing, complaining about the lack of investment in the team but saying Rooney was getting at his fellow players, when he was only stating what they are saying. Dwight Yorke explained it quite well, all the players should, if there ambitious want further investment in the team.
Of course they should, however our best players will have been equally disappointed at our lack of investment in recent years as we are. As a professional at the top of the game Rooney wants to be surrounded by the best players and competing for the biggest honours in the game. If he wasn't promised a continued chance to do this, as he stated was one of the reasons he initially joined the club, then i don't blame him for reconsidering his future.

fredthered

I want Peter Kenyon back

And its taken him 5 years to work it out ?

I know he's not the sharpest tool in the box, but even he can't have been that stupid that he hasnt worked it out before now.

TheMancRedDevil

I am coming to agree with this now.

He didn't actually specifically say that this team is not good enough to win anything (it clearly is) but he may have been worried that quality was not being bought and that this could even see some of his current team-mates leaving for similar reasons leaving him at a club in decline and stuck there during his peak years?

Yes, I know, sounds ridiculous but it is not completely impossible to understand where he was coming from.

The number of discussion I have had with people on here who have expressed concern that we haven't bought big over the last couple of summers but we have the likes of Giggs, Scholes and VDS all coming up to retirement at any time is untrue - was Rooney not just sharing the same concerns?

The difference between Rooney and us is that we would support the team regardless because we're fans. Rooney isn't. He's a professional footballer who wants to make the right choice in this crucial period of his career.

Going public was clearly a stupid thing to do but Rooney and Doing Stupid Things in Public are becoming pretty synonymous now. He's hot-headed, he's impulsive, he wears his heart on his sleeve and he doesn't know when to bite his own tongue.

He's also got a prick of an agent/adviser which doesn't help.

Jaapster

so the fat feck gets an extra, Say for arguments sake an extra 60k a week,
Thats roughly 3 million a year so it will cost us 15 million extra for the full 5 years,Now if United had have sold him in January we would have got about 20-25 million for him maybe less,but no more.

So hopefully United will sell him within the next 2 years and should get about 35-40 million for him could be more but no less,with a bidding war could get silly money depending on how he plays for the reserves (oops sorry nasty old cynical me) So United will benefit financially with this deal.

I just feel very numb at the moment,shocked,dissapointed, no relief at all that he has signed a new deal,that is what bothers me as a Manchester United supporter,i supported him through thick and thin, through the world cup defended him (like an idiot)when he made those comments about the crowd, i must have been feckin deluded.

I dont hold it against anybody that is pleased he has signed a new contract
I am just gutted that he has.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Stopped reading there. I've literally never played either of those games in my life.

It doesn't make me a transfer muppet to expect some of the millions upon millions of pounds profit our club makes to go back into signing the worlds best talent. Not the likes of Bebe.
And how does that help the debt?

On the one hand you (and me) are lambasting the Glazers for taking money out of the club and putting it in a bad financial position...and on the other, you're bemoaning us not splashing loads of cash on someone!!.. It's a completely contradictory argument!

I want what's best for this club, as I'm sure do you. Being frugal in our current situation is what is best. You can moan and bleat about what the Glazers have done all you like, but we are still in debt, and even getting rid of them won't guarantee getting rid of it. So splashing the money around helps what exactly? Not the debt at any rate. It just helps some short sighted fans who aren't satisfied with all they've been lucky enough to witness over the last few years....And possibly the kind of mug who wants to actually bankrupt the club in order to force the Glazers out...but then again that mug wouldn't mind seeing us slip down in stature and quality either to achieve that goal.

Yes we'd all like to win the League every year, but we can't (and it would actually become pretty hollow if we did) and we've got to do what's best in the circumstances. We're not exactly in Liverpool's situation are we? We're still doing pretty well...The dual front of "We hate you Glazers/Spend more money" is the least helpful thing possible surely!

People talk of this being a 'transitional period' but with continued investment in quality players over the last 2 years we could and should still be the best team in the country. Instead that is, at the very least, still up for huge debate.
But how fecking spoiled are people (Rooney included) that not being the very top team in the country undebateably for little over 7 months is such a horrible thing we have to start throwing our toys out of the pram ...It's fecking childish, and spoiled. Get a grip.

I'd rather we didn't spend loads of money just to please the impatient knee-jerks and spend some time actually developing some young players...There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. If they aren't good enough, so be it, we'll try and find some more, and then splash when a good deal comes along...you know what? I can actually cope with us not winning the League for a season.

You can't live in dual worlds where you blame the Glazers for getting us into debt and then demand they start spending money. That doesn't make any sense!!

IF Rooney's statement was truthful, then he's just a spastic and an ungrateful, disloyal mug who after one season of not dominating Europe and the World decides he's packing off whilst the Torres'/Gerrard's and Fabregas' of this world look on enviously at him and his trophy hall and think "what an ungrateful cnut"

fredthered

I want Peter Kenyon back
Yes, I know, sounds ridiculous but it is not completely impossible to understand where he was coming from.
I don't think theres a supporter amongst us that isnt asking the very same questions.

The issue is why he's chosen now to come out and say it. Just at the point when City are there waving a cheque book under his nose.

If he'd done this two years ago when Ronaldo left, I'd have said "fair play" and agreed with him 100%.

What I don't agree with is the fact he's chose the most opportune moment for himself to publicly come out and say something that has been so glaringly obvious for the last 2 years.

All he's done is jumped on the bandwagon using the supporters fears as his own excuse, and hiding behind the real reasons. He did it to line his own pockets and its got feck all to do with whats best for United.

Perhaps if he had spent less time shagging hookers and spent more time trying to score for us we wouldnt look as shabby as we do.

Laphroaig

On a side note a very small percentage of our fans hated Rooney before all this, being our best player and being English doesn't sit well with them, they sit there no doubt weighing up whether to put on their Utd shirt or Madrid Ronaldo shirt.
You're insane.

CantonaVeron

And its taken him 5 years to work it out ?

I know he's not the sharpest tool in the box, but even he can't have been that stupid that he hasnt worked it out before now.
We invested in Hargreaves, Anderson, Tevez, Berbatov etc we had Ronaldo its only the last year, 18 months this has been a problem in terms of the team. I know its impacted on the club, I hate us having so much debt and wht the Glazers have done to us, but as a whole but from a players point of view playing with those players to not doing in most cases does change things immo.

Jaapster

People talk of this being a 'transitional period' but with continued investment in quality players over the last 2 years we could and should still be the best team in the country.
Right now give me 10 bebe's for one wayne rooney anyday.

We dont sign the worlds best talent we create it!

Neo_Mufc

Since there's been NOTHING to dispute that the reasons Rooney gave for wanting away weren't valid.

I personally agreed with nearly every word of his statement the other day. You're welcome to call me fickle but you've no more proof than i was that this was about money.

If you can't see that our squad isn't good enough at the minute you need to take off the red-tinted specs. We wouldn't be going through this so called 'transitional period' has some of the Ronaldo money and our huge profits been invested in world-class replacements rather than being used to pay off the Glazers debts and line their pockets.
The squad isn't good enough? Harsh. Since when was football always about supporting a world class team that wins every year ?. This is nothing to do with Ronaldo or the Glazers, He thinks the teams lacking because from my red tinted specs last season I believe I saw him score 34 goals making him one of europes top goalscorers which wouldn't have happened from players like Nani and Valencia.

CantonaVeron

f whilst the Torres'/Gerrard's and Fabregas' of this world look on enviously at him and his trophy hall and think "what an ungrateful cnut"
Gerrard and Fabregas have both tried to force moves from their clubs on more than one occassion. :lol:

fredthered

I want Peter Kenyon back
We invested in Hargreaves, Anderson, Tevez, Berbatov etc we had Ronaldo its only the last year, 18 months this has been a problem in terms of the team. I know its impacted on the club, I hate us having so much debt and wht the Glazers have done to us, but as a whole but from a players point of view playing with those players to not doing in most cases does change things immo.
With all due respect, but hardly the most convincing argument.

Hargreaves - crock who hasnt played in almost 2 years
Tevez - fecked off
Anderson - Pretty disappointing all things considered
Berbatov - Barring one display, hardly inspirational.

Using those players as examples, you would have to agree things don't look the rosiest that they've ever been.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Gerrard and Fabregas have both tried to force moves from their clubs on more than one occassion. :lol:
Both with far more legitimate reasons than Rooney. With neither having ever won the Premier League, let alone three and a runners up spot on the bounce.

Both (and Torres) have shown far more perspective and loyalty to their clubs, managers and fans than Rooney

:smileysmileynonsense:

Red_Jamie

The squad isn't good enough? Harsh. Since when was football always about supporting a world class team that wins every year ?.
When did i say that? I said that by rights, i.e the fact that we're amongst the biggest and richest football clubs in the world, we should be continuing to attract the best players and competing at the highest level and that at the moment there's a danger we might be falling behind.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
For a minute let's assume this not about money which I doubt is the case. Rooney has absolutely no business slagging the club and its ambitions publicly. TTheirs a way to do things and this wasn't one of them. The timing of his comments and his informing the club of his decision, his complete lack for this club and the manager is.very alarming.

Hitchcocker

Both with far more legitimate reasons than Rooney. With neither having ever won the Premier League, let alone three on the bounce and runners up spot. :smileysmileynonsense:
All three stayed and that's all that matters. At least that is what Fergie thinks regarding Rooney.

TheMancRedDevil

I don't think theres a supporter amongst us that isnt asking the very same questions.

The issue is why he's chosen now to come out and say it. Just at the point when City are there waving a cheque book under his nose.

If he'd done this two years ago when Ronaldo left, I'd have said "fair play" and agreed with him 100%.

What I don't agree with is the fact he's chose the most opportune moment for himself to publicly come out and say something that has been so glaringly obvious for the last 2 years.
Because, Fred, he has spoken to Gill, Fergie and the Glazers and he has been given re-assurances that the future is bright and he is an integral part of that future. Why is that so difficult to accept? Because it doesn't fit in with your own warped sense of reality?

What is so difficult to accept about the fact that Manchester United are going to keep their best players if they can and are going to keep on developing youth and are going to keep on spending money when spending money is the prudent thing to do?

It may well be that he saw last Summer's transfer activity and thought "OK, Ronnie's gone, fair enough, we all knew he wanted to go. Tevez has gone, fair enough. Valencia in, Owen in, fair enough. Let's see how it goes."

Then last season he has a cracking season until his injury and then he sits through the summer, like we all did awaiting the big midfield signing or whatever... and it didn't come. We, instead, bought a bunch of youngsters with "potential" and he perhaps thought, "What the feck?"

But Fergie has explained the situation to him, as he did with us in that Press Conference the other night. The Glazers and Gill have explained the financial situation in a little more detail to him than the doom & gloom shit that he might have been reading in the press and he's signed because whatever he was told, made absolute sense.

CantonaVeron

With all due respect, but hardly the most convincing argument.

Hargreaves - crock who hasnt played in almost 2 years
Tevez - fecked off
Anderson - Pretty disappointing all things considered
Berbatov - Barring one display, hardly inspirational.

Using those players as examples, you would have to agree things don't look the rosiest that they've ever been.
I was just covering the 5 year argument, like I said its only the last 18 months from a purely playing point of view investment has appeared to be lacking, when we have an attack of Rooney, Tevez, Ronaldo and Berbatov you would be an idiot to come out and say we lack investment/ambition but Rooney, Berbatov, Owen, Hernandez doesn't have the same effect. Same could be said of midfield three years ago where well stocked now not so much, with lack of form injuries etc.

fredthered

I want Peter Kenyon back
Both with far more legitimate reasons than Rooney. With neither having ever won the Premier League, let alone three and a runners up spot on the bounce.

Both (and Torres) have shown far more perspective and loyalty to their clubs, managers and fans than Rooney

:smileysmileynonsense:
Not sure you can put Gerrard in that category.

His u-turn is no different to what Rooney has done. If anything it was worse because he handed in a transfer request whereas Rooney simply said "I wont be renewing my current contract"