MERGED: Rooney signs new contract!

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
That's the dumbest piece of shit I've ever read. Everything is wrong with it, from the general idea of it being a victory for football to the suggestion that Hart is better than Van der Sar.

Bringing in the working man under recession as some sort of winner is also absurd when they, in the end, will be paying the greedy ungrateful players wages.
Well now you are moving towards and entirely different subject altogether. I think Winter meant as in the player who is at the club where he should be, remained there. For example I don't honestly believe the City fans wanted Rooney, they were very indifferent towards the idea.

fergieisold

Pretty much the whole interview Wayne is looking down and to his left. You might wonder the significance of that
What a complete load of shit! Guess you did A level psychology and took it too seriously :lol:

Rooney is a wally, but honestly everytime Wayne says anything to anyone with a camera he looks down because he's shit at public speaking. A 7 minute interview with MUTV and 50% of that was made up of ERRRRRRRMMMMM....

Rams

Obviously this is good for Ferguson, because he has the clubs needs on his mind. But if you think he is happy about all this then think again. He has had to do his dirty laundry out in public, and has found out just how greedy and ungrateful a player he has. A player he has nurtured and protected for years. Ferguson is probably not happy about all this, although the result is good for United in the short run.

Rooney on the other hand, well he got everything he wanted. Got a new contract, probably a hefty raise, perhaps he got some sort of say in transfers. Who knows. But we can assume that he is paid nicely for this. And again, he probably doesn't care about his reputation as a person.
Rooney would have to be a complete phsychopath not to care about what has happened. He's probably had a horrible view days, especially with those idiots and all threatening him at his house where there's a child. Do you think he enjoyed it? Still signed the next day though. If he really was a cnut he would have sat the next 3 months out and fecked off for even more than he's got now. Wonder what Tevez had done?

Brocky

Some of you are not worthy to call yourselves Manchester United supporters( yes, I'm looking at you, Rooney apologists).

That fat scouse cnut has just had your great club and renowned manager over the barrel, publicly humiliated you all by claiming MU isn't ambitious enough for him - Please point me to where he claimed that. Where exactly did he say the club or SAF weren't ambitious? - and he wants out, only to backtrack few days later with a fake PR scripted apology - Please point me to your source that confirms that his statement was fake. - after getting a big pay raise. All that after showing an indifferent form on the pitch for months and putting the club's name through the mud in the wake of his private indiscretions scandal.

There's no moral victory here for the club, even if they managed to avoid the disaster from the business point of view. Rooney just proved to everyone out there that he could do what no one before was able to pull: publicly disrespect MU and SAF and not only get away with it, but get rewarded in the end. Rooney demonstrated that no matter how much of an ungrateful cnut he is as a person, as a player he's so valuable to the current United side, they simply couldn't afford to stick to the principles and boot his fat ass out for fear of immediate consequences in terms of weakening the squad and losing their best player for peanuts.

Times do change. There's no way Fergie would have swallowed that in the past. Remember the boot flying at Beckham's head - You know for sure that was intentional by SAF do you? He did it to assert his authority? Source please. - , Keane and RVN being shown the door when forgetting their place, etc? A couple of days ago when the news just broke many here said "no player is bigger than the club, jog off, United forever,etc etc." Well, Rooney just proved you all wrong, which to me represents a sad state of affairs in modern professional sport.

Ian Holloway, who's being made to look foolish now with his outburst, at least had the balls to tell it like it is without sugarcoating the truth. That's a man of integrity for you, deserves respect for his honesty.
Yet another example of how people on here (and football fans in general) take every rumour and ounce of speculation the press spits out as being fact and then end up throwing it all together and forming their opinion on complete and utter bullshit.

Edit - And you lot that replied "Great post" etc. are just as bad as the OP.

wr8_utd

:'(
The headline is a bit daft but he also speaks some sense if you're bothered to continue reading.
There are some good points in the article. He's right in a sense that everyone will be happy with the final result but it's not really a victory for football

Allforone

United could spend £85million on David De Gea, Phi
So does anyone think this is just a stop-gap solution guaranteeing we get top whack for Rooney in the summer? thats what my city mates keep telling mes the case, are they right or have they taken this one a bit hard and looking for some crumbs of comfort after making collective fools of themselves?

Rams

So you think all he wanted was to get a better deal with United, and that his strategy for achieving this was to not even look at United's offers?
Well I wouldn't belive that bollocks either, of course he bloody saw the offer. My guess would be that he got wooed by several clubs offering crazy money and promisses of glory. I do think winning trophies is a large part of his motivation.

wr8_utd

Yet another example of how people on here (and football fans in general) take every rumour and ounce of speculation the press spits out as being fact and then end up throwing it all together and forming their opinion on complete and utter bullshit.

Edit - And you lot that replied "Great post" etc. are just as bad as the OP.
Ofcourse the flying boot was intentional. He had calculated the trajectory of the boot and everything. He knew where he was aiming.

wr8_utd

So does anyone think this is just a stop-gap solution guaranteeing we get top whack for Rooney in the summer? thats what my city mates keep telling mes the case, are they right or have they taken this one a bit hard and looking for some crumbs of comfort after making collective fools of themselves?
As I posted in some other thread :

Fair enough. I still think the major reason he's had this change of mind is because of the media/fans/players/managers outrage. I think he must have known it would be bad but I don't he quite imagined that his comments and decision would spark such outrage. And moving to City would have only made it worse.

I know some people will say this is just like Ronaldo and we've given him a new contract just to get a fat transfer fee in the summer but somehow I just can't see it happening. I think the reactions genuinely shocked Rooney and he realized his already tarnished reputation was being absolutely ripped apart.

I expect him to be with us on September 1, 2011.

SirAF

Ageist
Nah, not really.

Allforone

United could spend £85million on David De Gea, Phi
As I posted in some other thread :

Fair enough. I still think the major reason he's had this change of mind is because of the media/fans/players/managers outrage. I think he must have known it would be bad but I don't he quite imagined that his comments and decision would spark such outrage. And moving to City would have only made it worse.

I know some people will say this is just like Ronaldo and we've given him a new contract just to get a fat transfer fee in the summer but somehow I just can't see it happening. I think the reactions genuinely shocked Rooney and he realized his already tarnished reputation was being absolutely ripped apart.

I expect him to be with us on September 1, 2011.

Yeah thats my view to, i doubt wed have gone to all the effort and paid what were allegedly paying just to keep everyone sweet for a few extra months, looks like hes here for the long haul now, i suppose the fact its totally pissed off all the city fans who were convinced they were getting him is something good to have come out of it all. :lol:

bazalini

The Baz Man - He made us laugh 2000 - 2012
Just told my Youngest son about Rooney earlier. God Love him he's cried with joy. Never before have I seen my son show as much emotion over one player. He cried for 3 days and wouldn't eat his breakfast, lunch or tea at the thought of Rooney not being at Old Trafford. You should have seen his joy on his little face and his eyes light up when I told him Rooney was staying. He wept with joy and decided to make a card for Wayne telling him how much he loved him. Tried to phone him there - But his wife said he's gone to bed exhausted

wr8_utd

Yeah thats my view to, i doubt wed have gone to all the effort and paid what were allegedly paying just to keep everyone sweet for a few extra months, looks like hes here for the long haul now, i suppose the fact its totally pissed off all the city fans who were convinced they were getting him is something good to have come out of it all. :lol:
Exactly. Fergie could have properly put the matter to bed and sold him off if he wanted to. I can't believe we've gone through this whole mess just to get a bigger transfer fee and go through the same saga next summer again.

And City would pay insane amounts of money for him whether he had 1 day or 1 decade left on his contract (eg. De Jong).

And I'm just relieved he won't be off to City now. The thought of Rooney and Tevez coming to OT and leading a title charge is the stuff of nightmares.

204Red

I had just gotten used to the idea of a post Rooney United... and I was ok with it

Rams

Just told my Youngest son about Rooney earlier. God Love him he's cried with joy. Never before have I seen my son show as much emotion over one player. He cried for 3 days and wouldn't eat his breakfast, lunch or tea at the thought of Rooney not being at Old Trafford. You should have seen his joy on his little face and his eyes light up when I told him Rooney was staying. He wept with joy and decided to make a card for Wayne telling him how much he loved him. Tried to phone him there - But his wife said he's gone to bed exhausted
Who did you phone, Rooney or your son?

wr8_utd

Great post from Arsenal Mania :

I wonder why Rooney decided to get a hike of 5 million per year that could have been spent on salary of another top player who could help him fulfill his ambitions.

:lol:

Lance Uppercut

Please point me to where he claimed that. Where exactly did he say the club or SAF weren't ambitious?
He didn't say that. Nor did the person you are quoting. What he did say is:

publicly humiliated you all by claiming MU isn't ambitious enough for him
Wayne said:

"I met with David Gill last week and he did not give me any of the assurances I was seeking about the future squad. I then told him that I would not be signing a new contract. For me its all about winning trophies."
Do you require a diagram?

Please point me to your source that confirms that his statement was fake
His statement was "fake" in so much that he did not write it. His PR team did. Are you seriously arguing that those are Wayne's words?

You know for sure that was intentional by SAF do you? He did it to assert his authority? Source please.
He didn't say it was intentional.

skysplitter

brilliant..i saw a young lad on the news who actually jumped for joy when the reporter told him rooney had signed.

wr8_utd

His statement was "fake" in so much that he did not write it. His PR team did. Are you seriously arguing that those are Wayne's words?

To be honest it's probably a good thing he had a scripted statement. Last thing we needed was for him to say something stupid or something that would end up adding fuel to the fire. A safe and "fake" statement was better off for the stability of the club and we do have a match on Sunday so focus needs to be on that.

Rams

I'm just surprised he managed to sign up in the first place.

Or do they make laptops with flint keys, powered by dinosaur farts?
I guess he's been following United since you were still in your nappies. He's 84.

That's Manchester United btw.

wr8_utd

andy_phipps Apparently SAF met 1 on 1 with Rooney yesterday. His tune changed quickly afterwards. SAF the master of persuasion

No wonder it was all done so quick :lol:

wr8_utd

Wayne Rooney's Manchester United U-turn: how the deal was done - Telegraph

Such was Sir Alex Ferguson's determination to force Rooney into a change of heart over his refusal to sign a new deal at Old Trafford, the England forward, who celebrates his 25th birthday on Sunday, was given an unprecedented direct line to the senior member of the Glazer family, United's American owners.

The ground had been prepared for United to reopen negotiations with Rooney, who had informed the club on Aug 14 of his desire to leave, following talks between the Glazers and United chief executive David Gill on Wednesday evening in the wake of the player's statement which had underlined his reluctance.
That phone call resulted in Gill being given the green light to allay Rooney's concerns over a lack of investment in Ferguson's squad since the departures of Cristiano Ronaldo and Carlos Tévez in June 2009, but the player himself was given direct assurances during his conversation with Joel that money will be made available for United to recruit the world's best players.

United's debt, which now exceeds £720 million, has prompted concerns among the club's fan base over their ability to compete with the likes of Manchester City and Chelsea in the transfer market.

But having been assured by Glazer that repaying the debt will not affect Ferguson's transfer kitty, Rooney was then prepared to review the outline structure of the contract offer drawn up by the club, but unseen by Rooney, during the summer.

Gill was then able to make progress in talks in his Old Trafford office with Paul Stretford, Rooney's agent. Ferguson also discussed Rooney's future with Gill and Stretford on Thursday afternoon.

With Rooney signalling his readiness to consider United's offer, the player left the negotiations in the hands of Stretford and Gill, while lawyers from both camps began work on drawing up the legal framework of the contract which United insist contains no escape clause for the player.

Gill left Old Trafford on Thursday night confident that a deal was now more likely than not, prompting the club to release a holding statement at 7pm that evening.

But the contract was not finalised until Friday morning, when Rooney arrived for training at United's Carrington training ground and spoke to Ferguson before confirming his decision to stay.

Rooney's advisers formally informed Gill and an agreement was reached just before noon on Friday. United released a statement confirming the news at 12:37pm.

The contract remained unsigned for another hour, however, until Rooney left Carrington to put pen to paper at Old Trafford, prior to his interview with the club's TV channel, MUTV, at 2pm.

Hard to imagine Joel and Rooney discussing club policy

TheMancRedDevil

Ok. Poetic licence alert here but is it not beyond the realms of possibility that something like the following took place?

Wayne Rooney earlier this year after having a brilliant season personally:- I love it here and want to stay for the rest of my career.

Wayne Rooney towards the end of the summer when he had seen Fergie buy "just" Smalling and Hernandez (let's face it, pretty unknown and unproven)...

David Gill: Ok Wayne, if you'd just sign the bottom there, I'll get the bubbly out.

Wayne Rooney: David? Can I ask something before I sign this?

DG: Sure. What is it?

WR: I'm a bit concerned to be honest. You know I love it here and I do want to stay but I read all this stuff in the papers about the debts and stuff and how it will affect our chances of competing in the coming years.

DG: Bah. Paper talk. You know what they're like.

WR: But this is my big contract David. This will take me to 30. That's my peak years right there. I'd just like to know that I will be playing at a club that is going to be competing for silverware. I look at the players who left last season, Ronnie and Tevez and I see who has come in this summer and, well, I really do wonder if there's substance to this stuff. If there's all this money to be spent, why isn't it being spent?

DG: Look Wayne. You don't need to concern yourself with that stuff. You just need to look after yourself, ok? Let Alex deal with the squad ok?

WR: But what if he can't afford to get the players in that he wants to get? What if we start sliding backwards behind Chelsea, Arsenal, City, Tottenham...? He might be a genius but he's not a miracle worker. I dunno David. I am going to have to leave this for now and have a think. This is just too massive and you're not really giving me the assurances I need here.

Now, ok. I have totally and utterly made that up but is that not a reasonable scenario?

What we all have to remember is that Wayne Rooney is NOT a Manchester United fan. As he said today, he "cares" for the club, of course he does, it has been a massive part of his life now but his main priority is to win trophies and he WOULD go elsewhere if it was the best thing for his career.

My main problem the other day is that I thought he was fecking us over to get a big payday from City and was hiding being this "assurances" crap to put the blame on us and I thought that was a cnut's trick.

As he seems to have basically accepted the offer that was always there (and certainly hasn't accepted any £300k/week from City) then it would suggest that he really DID have concerns... as we all have... about the future of Manchester United.

It is very easy to knock the lad but if it was you - about to commit five years, possibly your "peak" years, of your footballing career then wouldn't you want to be absolutely certain that you were doing the right thing?

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Suspect far more involvement from Stretford.

Rooney made a big misjudgement. I'm personally not that bothered about it - no more so than with Ferdinand anyway.