MERGED: Rooney signs new contract!

wr8_utd

:'(
I wonder what assurances Glazer gave Rooney during that conversation.
One out of Casilas/Hart/Lloris

One out of Pique/Chiellini (sp?)/Alves

One out of Ronaldo/Messi/Bale

One out of Sneijder/Pastore/Hamsik

One out of Torres/Pato/Aguero

:p

It would take absolute ages to build up something like that even on FM :lol:

Allforone

United could spend £85million on David De Gea, Phi

:lol:

But seriously, putting aside the fact the boys a total bellend and money grabber fact is he could get more ££ elsewhere even after his nice new contract so Glazer and Gill must have made some pretty firm guarantees to him on future targets maybe even lined up transfers as we speak, im honestly amazed we went to that length to persuade him in truth, sitting him down in front of a link with the owners on the other end telling him future plans for the club, pretty serious stuff really.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Ok. Poetic licence alert here but is it not beyond the realms of possibility that something like the following took place?

Wayne Rooney earlier this year after having a brilliant season personally:- I love it here and want to stay for the rest of my career.

Wayne Rooney towards the end of the summer when he had seen Fergie buy "just" Smalling and Hernandez (let's face it, pretty unknown and unproven)...

David Gill: Ok Wayne, if you'd just sign the bottom there, I'll get the bubbly out.

Wayne Rooney: David? Can I ask something before I sign this?

DG: Sure. What is it?

WR: I'm a bit concerned to be honest. You know I love it here and I do want to stay but I read all this stuff in the papers about the debts and stuff and how it will affect our chances of competing in the coming years.

DG: Bah. Paper talk. You know what they're like.

WR: But this is my big contract David. This will take me to 30. That's my peak years right there. I'd just like to know that I will be playing at a club that is going to be competing for silverware. I look at the players who left last season, Ronnie and Tevez and I see who has come in this summer and, well, I really do wonder if there's substance to this stuff. If there's all this money to be spent, why isn't it being spent?

DG: Look Wayne. You don't need to concern yourself with that stuff. You just need to look after yourself, ok? Let Alex deal with the squad ok?

WR: But what if he can't afford to get the players in that he wants to get? What if we start sliding backwards behind Chelsea, Arsenal, City, Tottenham...? He might be a genius but he's not a miracle worker. I dunno David. I am going to have to leave this for now and have a think. This is just too massive and you're not really giving me the assurances I need here.

Now, ok. I have totally and utterly made that up but is that not a reasonable scenario?

What we all have to remember is that Wayne Rooney is NOT a Manchester United fan. As he said today, he "cares" for the club, of course he does, it has been a massive part of his life now but his main priority is to win trophies and he WOULD go elsewhere if it was the best thing for his career.

My main problem the other day is that I thought he was fecking us over to get a big payday from City and was hiding being this "assurances" crap to put the blame on us and I thought that was a cnut's trick.

As he seems to have basically accepted the offer that was always there (and certainly hasn't accepted any £300k/week from City) then it would suggest that he really DID have concerns... as we all have... about the future of Manchester United.

It is very easy to knock the lad but if it was you - about to commit five years, possibly your "peak" years, of your footballing career then wouldn't you want to be absolutely certain that you were doing the right thing?
That's one way of looking at it. Another would be:

Ding dong.

WR: "Errrm, Hello?"

Hoodie: "Rooney, you knob, why are you shitting on United?"

WR: "Ermm, you know like, what?"

Hoodie: "Yeah like, The Sun said you are fecking us over!"

WR: "Ermmm, I think you've got my order wrong, mine was three XL with extra pepperoni!"

Hoodie: "Sign the contract or we'll feck you up!"

WR: "Errrrrmmmmmmm".

Later:

WR: "Eeeeeeer, why am I getting you know shit like?"

Stretford: "Oh don't worry Waynie it just adult talk"

WR: "Like you know, like"

Stretford: "Here's your favourite crayon Wayne, put your signature here"

WR: "Like, you know, like what?"

Stretford: "You remember that funny little symbol we showed you to draw?"

wr8_utd

Let's be honest, anyone else sold him off in your FM games in the last few days...?
Close shave. Was going to put him on the transfer list last night but then saved the game and quit. (he's doing rather well! )

But I had every intention to sell him off. Safe now :nervous:

I think someone on here loaned him to Chelsea with an option to buy. :lol:

wr8_utd

I feel sorry for the poor bastards who have Rooney in their user names, they must have been going to hell and back in the last few days.
:nervous:

But seriously, putting aside the fact the boys a total bellend and money grabber fact is he could get more ££ elsewhere even after his nice new contract so Glazer and Gill must have made some pretty firm guarantees to him on future targets maybe even lined up transfers as we speak, im honestly amazed we went to that length to persuade him in truth, sitting him down in front of a link with the owners on the other end telling him future plans for the club, pretty serious stuff really.
Well if it makes us go out and start buying players (not world class players necessarily) and stop the "no value" then it's good for the club.

Rooney and Fergie master plan to get new players in?

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I don't want to hit out at people but I think some lads need perspective. When you look at the picture with Rooney smiling and you have your digs, you should look at the great man beside him and if you think he's faking a smile your mugs...

We've read a lot of bollocks and you HAVE to go with the manager who is from a time where people were more decent and less hypocritical self serving pricks. Like none of you have never made a mistake in your lives - you've never made a decision in your lifes that have effected millions and millions of people world wide....how easy your life is

At the end of the day, its' over. All this rumor and all this hate is a waste of fecking time. Get over it. We're better then that. If you want to know a player cares, then let him show you on the pitch. Him saying 'Sorry' is a fecking joke. How old are we really? If he said sorry, would you suddenly forgive him? Like feck - most of you people need to get with the real world

We have stoke on sunday and that's the only fecking thing that matters now..not hating our player. Not making up bullshit 'oh it's so we can sell him for xxx in the summer'. Let's just move on and be fecking happy and to the cretins who think the club have bowed down...we haven't. We have in two days proven we are an ambitious club still and that makes us look more powerful then we have for a good while

But also it's not 50+ million of your money is it? You people need to see the bigger picture. Not Rooney but rather Sir Alex's beaming Smile beside him.....he's in a position to know the score and we HAVE to trust the manager or are we mugs?

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
So does anyone think this is just a stop-gap solution guaranteeing we get top whack for Rooney in the summer? thats what my city mates keep telling mes the case, are they right or have they taken this one a bit hard and looking for some crumbs of comfort after making collective fools of themselves?
Let's be honest, anyone else sold him off in your FM games in the last few days...?
Haven't played fm in awhile as I'm waiting for the new one next month but I did edit him out in fifa11.

Brocky

He didn't say that. - I didn't say Rooney did. - Nor did the person you are quoting. - Yes, he did. He said:-
That fat scouse cnut has just had your great club and renowned manager over the barrel, publicly humiliated you all by claiming MU isn't ambitious enough for him
Whereas Rooney actually said:-
'I met with David Gill last week and he did not give me any of the assurances I was seeking about the future squad,'
And:-
During those meetings in August I asked for assurances about the continued ability of the club to attract the top players in the world.'
And:-
'For me its all about winning trophies - as the club has always done under Sir Alex. Because of that I think the questions I was asking were justified.'
Nowhere in there does he say that the club aren't ambitious enough for him. In fact, the word 'ambition' doesn't appear in the whole statement. He was of the opinion that the club would not be able to attract the world's top players and that if this was the case then the club wouldn't be as capable of winning trophies. feck all to do with ambition.

Do you require a diagram? - If you can prove that Rooney claimed that the club aren't ambitious enough for him with a diagram then yeah, by all means, knock yourself out.

His statement was "fake" in so much that he did not write it. His PR team did. Are you seriously arguing that those are Wayne's words? - Well that's obvious. How many celeb's, sports stars or other people in official positions write their own statements? I never said that he wrote it himself.

Now, the question that matters is, are the words in that statement a true reflection of Rooney's feelings? Well, because we don't know for sure i wouldn't like to speculate. People should try it sometime.

My opinion? Well, if it's good enough for Fergie to believe then it'll do for me.

He didn't say it was intentional. - He said:-
There's no way Fergie would have swallowed that in the past. Remember the boot flying at Beckham's head
So he's saying that the boot at beckham's head occurred because Fergie wasn't standing for a player thinking they were bigger than the club. What else could it mean?

My point wasn't personal towards antihenry, as i said, it's one example of many on here and i find it utterly ridiculous when those same people are quick enough to lambast the press for printing rumour and speculation when it suits them.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
We need to put all this shit behind us and when he pulls on our shirt again give him 100% support.

Booing our own player is utterly tasteless and I hope to god I don't witness it over the coming weeks.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
I wonder what assurances Glazer gave Rooney during that conversation.
Rooney: Erm hello

Glazer: Hello Wayne, is there anything you'd like to ask me about, I hear you are worried about United's future ambitions.

Wayne: ye...erm...av United got any money then?

Glazer: Yes Wayne, we've got millions and millions.

Wayne: erm...oh good...erm...are United going to buy some more players then?

Glazer: Yes Wayne, of course we are.

Wayne: erm...good players I mean....not like them crap ones we bought recently...ther, erm.....ther no good.

Glazer: Yes of course we are?

Rooney: Erm....some big names like then....?

Wayne: erm thanks.....sorry for botherin you....erm...I...erm...just needed to erm....be sure...erm...thanks.

Rednails

I don't think this has been handled well from a man management point of view. Gill was at fault for leaving the contract renegotiation so late but why then was Rooney allowed to fester on the bench? Why was his dissatisfaction allowed to possibly affect the team? Why didn't Fergie have a heart to heart with him earlier?

It just seems there's a lack of communication somewhere.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Just told my Youngest son about Rooney earlier. God Love him he's cried with joy. Never before have I seen my son show as much emotion over one player. He cried for 3 days and wouldn't eat his breakfast, lunch or tea at the thought of Rooney not being at Old Trafford. You should have seen his joy on his little face and his eyes light up when I told him Rooney was staying. He wept with joy and decided to make a card for Wayne telling him how much he loved him. Tried to phone him there - But his wife said he's gone to bed exhausted
class

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)

The only assurance Wayne wanted was that his wage would be bigger than anyone else on the team and he got it. Isn't Wayne the highest paid player in Man United history now?

Denis' cuff

We'll handle it.

We'll stop thinking of him as a scouse Paul Scholes and see him as United's John Terry.
:D

just woken to this news - I presume there's absolutely no evidence at all that he's been given an increase in the salary that was already on the table. You know, the one that he didn't even look at? There just appears to be an assumprion that he must've been given 200,000 per week to talk him around.

Maybe young Wayne thought he was being offered a mere 100,000 and when he saw 140,000???? on the table thought, "oh, alright then"

or Wenger and Jose were right is seems. Sir Alex had a chat and the boy saw sense maybe??

Allforone

United could spend £85million on David De Gea, Phi
Rooney: Erm hello

Glazer: Hello Wayne, is there anything you'd like to ask me about, I hear you are worried about United's future ambitions.

Wayne: ye...erm...av United got any money then?

Glazer: Yes Wayne, we've got millions and millions.

Wayne: erm...oh good...erm...are United going to buy some more players then?

Wayne: erm...good players I mean....not like them crap ones we bought recently...ther, erm.....ther no good.

Glazer: Yes of course we are?

Rooney: Erm....some big names like then....?

Wayne: erm thanks.....sorry for botherin you....erm...I...erm...just needed to erm....be sure...erm...thanks.

You know the really funny thing about that, its probably not far from the truth.

puNANI

The respect we get from other coaches and players

Didn't want to open up another thread but this saga just shows the amount of respect we get from other coaches, ex-players, etc.

We've had Phil Tompson himself say that United is the biggest club in the world, and questioned why Rooney would leave.

Alex McLeish, Birmingham City manager

"I am amazed that Wayne Rooney wants to leave Manchester United. He is still young and he has got years ahead of him. It is not my business but Sir Alex knows the best way to handle it. There is no better man to handle a situation like that than Sir Alex.

"Player power has been bubbling under for a long, long time. It has come to the surface over the last few years. I've seen stories in the past of players saying we are going to have a meeting about the manager's future and it ends up the manager leaves his job. It is quite incredible, the power of the players.

"Sir Alex had a couple of bad seasons before and then you see what they've gone on to achieve after that. Just when people write off Sir Alex, he goes and does it again, winning the championship two or three times again and winning the European Cup again.

"I can't see for the life of me why Manchester United won't be able to attract the best players. There will be a queue from here to Glasgow in terms of players wanting to join Manchester United."

Owen Coyle, Bolton manager

"I truly hope that Wayne Rooney remains a Manchester United player. I think we all accept that he is having an indifferent time in terms of his form, but it only takes one touch and finish for that confidence to go pumping through his veins again and for him to show his quality, because he is truly an outstanding player.

"I think Wayne Rooney and Manchester United are a tremendous fit and you don't want the best players leaving the Premier League. If they can see it through, whatever the trouble is, and sort it out and he remains a Manchester United player, I will be delighted. I think everyone in football will be, because they are an unbelievable club, one if not the biggest club in world football and you don't want to lose your best players – and he is certainly one of those.

"Sir Alex has seen teams change over the years and built teams up again and hopefully they can sit and have a bit of dialogue and sort it out. For me, Wayne Rooney and Manchester United go hand-in-hand, and you want that to continue and you want them to be strong."

Everybody knows what SAF is capable of doing, it surprises me that players are so thick and impatient.

wr8_utd

You know the really funny thing about that, its probably not far from the truth.
Can't wait to see Special1 TV now!.

The best thing about Rooney staying is I can enjoy Special1TV and Kai Wayne's tweets guilt free

wr8_utd

People on twitter and Daily Mail reporting it to be £200,000 a week now...

Oh even better :

After taking a call from owners the Glazers, who assured him money was available for new players, he agreed a new contract worth £250,000 a week that has made him the Premier League’s highest-paid player.

Mirror Football

Neo_Mufc

Have just seen Rooney's interview, wasn't expecting him to be on his knees but he ain't exactly remorseful or kind of apologetic. I always thought I would categorise him in that special giggs scholes neville status but he's nowhere near that. Tbh the whole thing has left a sour taste to it all, I agree with Fergie best thing is to move on, get cracking start playing football but about Rooney I think the majority will just let this slide and no doubt be chanting Wazza at OT.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Wayne Rooney's salary is like a fish. Originally it was £150k, then £180k, then £200k, and now £250k. Do we hear £300k?

Rowem

gently, down the stream
{snip}

Now, ok. I have totally and utterly made that up but is that not a reasonable scenario?

What we all have to remember is that Wayne Rooney is NOT a Manchester United fan. As he said today, he "cares" for the club, of course he does, it has been a massive part of his life now but his main priority is to win trophies and he WOULD go elsewhere if it was the best thing for his career.

My main problem the other day is that I thought he was fecking us over to get a big payday from City and was hiding being this "assurances" crap to put the blame on us and I thought that was a cnut's trick.

As he seems to have basically accepted the offer that was always there (and certainly hasn't accepted any £300k/week from City) then it would suggest that he really DID have concerns... as we all have... about the future of Manchester United.

It is very easy to knock the lad but if it was you - about to commit five years, possibly your "peak" years, of your footballing career then wouldn't you want to be absolutely certain that you were doing the right thing?
This.

So many fecking princesses on here have taken far too much offence and have twisted reality in their brains.

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
Wayne Rooney's salary is like a fish. Originally it was £150k, then £180k, then £200k, and now £250k. Do we hear £300k?
Started at 200k, then 180k, then 150, then 160, now 250.

fecking papers.