MERGED: Rooney signs new contract!

Crumpsall Red

As he seems to have basically accepted the offer that was always there (and certainly hasn't accepted any £300k/week from City) then it would suggest that he really DID have concerns... as we all have... about the future of Manchester United. [/QUOTE said:
Wayne Rooney...Green and Gold hero!!!

Alex

I do wonder what his salary is, probably 150-170k Id imagine

HKRed

Hilarious stuff watching you lot slate Rooney then laud him. Why don't you just sit back and wait for the outcome before jumping in with both feet?

I genuinely don't believe it was a salary issue, but I do think that the words Paul Stretford are instrumental in the panto. He's a knob for handling it the way he did, but who knows, maybe it will be the kick start we need this season. If he starts tomorrow, I'd wager he bangs one in.

How bad can that be?

TheMancRedDevil

It'd be funny if the original offer which "he didn't look at" turned out to be £250k and he finally looked at it today and said, "fecking hell! Why didn't you tell me!? Where's the pen?"

Or not... I suppose...

UnitedRoadRed

Told you he'd stay.

Nice to see Fergie and Wazza come up with the plan to get a proper transfer kitty out of the gimps and hopefully get rid of that stupid one year rule. Genius.

Brocky

Hilarious stuff watching you lot slate Rooney then laud him. Why don't you just sit back and wait for the outcome before jumping in with both feet?

I genuinely don't believe it was a salary issue, but I do think that the words Paul Stretford are instrumental in the panto. He's a knob for handling it the way he did, but who knows, maybe it will be the kick start we need this season. If he starts tomorrow, I'd wager he bangs one in.

How bad can that be?
I'll be having a dabble on him scoring the winner in the derby in a couple of weeks i reckon.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Wayne Rooney u-turn is a sorry mess: Players called in by tannoy to hear his grovelli

Wayne Rooney u-turn is a sorry mess: Players hear his grovelling apology | Mail Online

In the end Wayne Rooney surveyed the wreckage of a transfer negotiation that will long be remembered as the disaster of PR disasters and decided to pull back before it was too late.

Because it was not just Sir Alex Ferguson and Rooney's Manchester United team-mates who had turned against him and not just the club's supporters, some of whom staged a demonstration outside his house.

It was the fact that he succeeded in uniting the wider football community in their sheer disgust at what appeared to be his arrogance and greed. Even rival managers spoke out in support of Ferguson, all of them stunned by this depressing act of disloyalty.
Roo are forgiven: Rooney was forced to issue a grovelling apology to his Manchester United team-mates

To Rooney's credit, he decided enough was enough and finally took control of the situation. Finally told Paul Stretford, the agent largely responsible for the sorry mess the saga had become, that they had to reopen negotiations. His already tarnished image was taking a battering, as was Brand Rooney.

'I spoke to my agent and said, "Let's go in and sit down and try to resolve it to get the deal done",' he said.

Ferguson has been at his masterful best this week, somehow emerging triumphant when all looked lost, turning the situation around when, on Tuesday, even he seemed resigned to losing his finest player.

Was Rooney right to sign a new deal to stay at Man United? Wayne Rooney performed a sensational U-turn to commit his future to Manchester United. It comes just days after Rooney insisted he wanted to walk out on the club because of their lack of ambition. Do you think he's right to stay at Old Trafford or should he have walked away?
Wayne Rooney

Clearly, Ferguson worked on Rooney by targeting Stretford. At his own charity gala night in Manchester on Thursday night he spoke of 'the agent filling Rooney's head with rubbish' and he obviously put enough doubt in his striker's mind to make him think again.

Where this leaves Rooney and Stretford remains to be seen. Rooney must now realise how poorly he has been advised, just as he must realise that while Ferguson was talking about cows in a field, his agent was interested only in the cash cow his client represents.

Gary Neville also told him as much. 'Gary has been in his ear a lot, questioning the advice he has been getting,' one source said on Friday night.

Rooney has ended up with a hugely lucrative new contract. Ferguson said the club were always prepared to put him on a par with the highest earners in the English game. But first they had to overcome the obstacle that Stretford represented.

He stood to lose the most if Rooney stayed and though he will still get a decent pay-out for renegotiating his client's contract, it is nothing like as much as he could have earned had Rooney moved on.

While Stretford comes to terms with that, Rooney still needs to recognise that he has been damaged, not least in the eyes of the fans who may never now have the same affection for him as players like Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

But in the dressing room, bridges are already being rebuilt. As Ferguson said, Rooney apologised both to his manager and his colleagues yesterday and quite right too.

The people in reception at the club's training ground were among the first to know of the remarkable U-turn.

'Where are you going?' they apparently asked Rooney as he hobbled in wearing the boot that is protecting his injured ankle.
Smiles better: Rooney has ended up with a hugely lucrative contract for staying at Old Trafford

'I'm going nowhere,' he said. 'I'm staying.'

But it was an hour or so later, with an announcement over the PA for all players and staff to report to the first-team dressing room, that the squad were officially told. Rooney addressed them, consuming a large slice of humble pie in the process, and then joined his team-mates for lunch.

Smiles returned immediately to players depressed by the prospect of seeing another important player leave. After Cristiano Ronaldo and Carlos Tevez, losing Rooney would have amounted to another crushing blow.

Today, it will seem like business as usual. It is Rooney's 25th birthday on Sunday and, while he will not be involved in the Barclays Premier League game at Stoke, he will be presented with a cake.

For Ferguson, it marks a most unexpected end to what, by his own admission, has been an awful week. Could he seriously have seen himself posing for a photograph with Rooney by Friday, having just seen him put his signature to a new five-year deal?
Made up: Sir Alex Ferguson puts his arm around Rooney after Friday's dramatic u-turn to sign a new deal

Did he ever imagine he would be singing happy birthday to him by Saturday? When Ferguson said the issue would be 'put to bed tomorrow', he did so in the belief that Rooney's time as a United player was over.

Ferguson measures success by the trophies he has won and the football club he has created. The 75,000-seat stadium; the training facilities; the quality of the football; the ambition that Rooney dared question and Ferguson was so quick to defend.

But Friday was yet another defining moment in Ferguson's long reign, a demonstration, once again, of why he is the greatest manager of his generation.

When the great players cross him and he wants them out, they go. But when the great players cross him and he still wants them to stay, he also gets his way. Incredible.

Read more: Wayne Rooney u-turn is a sorry mess: Players hear his grovelling apology | Mail Online

Hopefully Rooney realises what a turd his agent has been in all this and ends the relationship.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
The Daily Mail, the paper so bad they have literally this weekend taken to paying you to read it.

Red Dreams

Rooney and fergie's jackpot

WAYNE Rooney’s stunning decision to stay at Old Trafford pocketed him a pay hike of £50,000 a week – and earned Sir Alex Ferguson a £60m transfer kitty.

Shocked Manchester United fans were celebrating last night after Rooney’s dramatic U-turn saw him pen a new fi ve-year deal to stay at the club.

Rooney has signed a contract worth £140,000 a week, making him the highest-paid star in the club’s history.

The staggering deal will see the England hitman trouser a whopping £33.6m plus bonuses and add-ons until 2015.

But Starsport understands that the clinching factor in Rooney deciding to pledge his future to Old Trafford was a promise from the Glazers that Fergie would be given the funds he wanted to make at least two big-name signings before next season.

Top of Fergie’s list are Inter Milan’s Dutch ace Wesley Sneijder and Wolfsburg striker Edin Dzeko.

It is understood Joel Glazer called Rooney from the States on Thursday in a last-ditch attempt to make him stay.

The Glazer family had been stunned by the week’s events and feared losing Rooneywould cause untold damage to their reign at Old Trafford.

This left them with no choice but to pull out all the stops in a bid to change the 24-year-old’s mind.

A record deal with Rooney’s adviser Paul Stretford was thrashed out after Joel promised the player a massive cash
windfall would be handed to Fergie for new signings.

Rooney’s fears about the future of the club were behind his decision not to sign a new deal in the fi rst place – sparking one of the most remarkable rows in United’s history.

It emerged last week Rooney had told United in August he would not sign a new deal. Fergie responded on the eve
of Wednesday’s Champions League clash with Bursaspor by slamming Rooney for betraying the club after they had stood by him throughout his problematic private life.

Rooney then stunned the world of football by revealing he thought United’s ambitions couldn’t match his own.

He claimed United lacked what it took to win major trophies in the future, leaving Fergie and team-mates fuming.

Fergie hit back by telling Rooney that United was the biggest club in the world and that he was making a big
mistake.

United were expected to slap Rooney on the transfer list following urgent meetings between Fergie and chief executive David Gill.

Fergie’s passionate defence of United and olive branch to Rooney did the trick, with the former Everton star setting
the wheels in motion to renew talks to stay.

United announced the news at lunchtime after Rooney had apologised to his team-mates and Fergie.

Rooney, who is expected to return from his ankle injury at Manchester City on November 10, said: “I am signing a new deal in the absolute belief that the management, coaching staff, board and owners are totally committed to making sure United maintains its proud winning history.

“That is why I joined the club in the first place.

“I am sure the fans over the last week have felt let down by what they have read and seen. But my position was from concern over the future.

“The fans have been brilliant with me since I arrived and it’s up to me through my perform- ances to win them over
again.”

A relieved Fergie added: “Wayne has apologised to me and the players. He will also do so with the supporters.

Chief executive David Gill said: “It’s a great day for the club. To those who say United cannot compete any more, we can – and will continue to.”

Daily Star: Simply The Best 7 Days A Week :: Football :: Rooney and Fergie's jackpot

fredthered

I want Peter Kenyon back
Wayne Rooney...Green and Gold hero!!!
The irony is, the person posting that is the biggest culprit for saying that there is feck all to worry about.

So Rooney is right to be concerned about where the club is heading, but dont worry everyone, the clubs doing great.

:confused:

Red_Jamie

Now, ok. I have totally and utterly made that up but is that not a reasonable scenario?

What we all have to remember is that Wayne Rooney is NOT a Manchester United fan. As he said today, he "cares" for the club, of course he does, it has been a massive part of his life now but his main priority is to win trophies and he WOULD go elsewhere if it was the best thing for his career.

My main problem the other day is that I thought he was fecking us over to get a big payday from City and was hiding being this "assurances" crap to put the blame on us and I thought that was a cnut's trick.

As he seems to have basically accepted the offer that was always there (and certainly hasn't accepted any £300k/week from City) then it would suggest that he really DID have concerns... as we all have... about the future of Manchester United.

It is very easy to knock the lad but if it was you - about to commit five years, possibly your "peak" years, of your footballing career then wouldn't you want to be absolutely certain that you were doing the right thing?
Exactly.

I can't help but smirk at the fact that i've just got home from work to read that post ^^ and it's exactly the same point i was trying to make when i left 7 hours ago.

It just clearly isn't getting into some peoples heads. :rolleyes:

TheReligion

Abusive
Exactly.

I can't help but smirk at the fact that i've just got home from work to read that post ^^ and it's exactly the same point i was trying to make when i left 7 hours ago.

It just clearly isn't getting into some peoples heads. :rolleyes:
You wont get any point across with the people who have slated him.

They feel idiots and will fight tooth and nail to make sure they are not seen as backing down.

Red Dreams

1. I think Rooney was advised to go this far by his agent who wanted to make a killing on his transfer.
2. I think the Glazers were telling Gill to manage the club on the 'cheap'. both players wages and transfers.
3. The Glazers finally gave in when they realised Rooney could go for almost nothing and SAF may also decide to go. One leaving would be tolerable but not both. The club would not have survived it.
4. Rooney never expected the reaction he got from all corners.
5. SAF speaking directly to Rooney instead of through King Turd made Rooney realise how close to the edge he had come.

Rooney should be rid of his agent ASAP if he is to retain any credibility.

kietotheworld

Ok. Poetic licence alert here but is it not beyond the realms of possibility that something like the following took place?

Wayne Rooney earlier this year after having a brilliant season personally:- I love it here and want to stay for the rest of my career.

Wayne Rooney towards the end of the summer when he had seen Fergie buy "just" Smalling and Hernandez (let's face it, pretty unknown and unproven)...

David Gill: Ok Wayne, if you'd just sign the bottom there, I'll get the bubbly out.

Wayne Rooney: David? Can I ask something before I sign this?

DG: Sure. What is it?

WR: I'm a bit concerned to be honest. You know I love it here and I do want to stay but I read all this stuff in the papers about the debts and stuff and how it will affect our chances of competing in the coming years.

DG: Bah. Paper talk. You know what they're like.

WR: But this is my big contract David. This will take me to 30. That's my peak years right there. I'd just like to know that I will be playing at a club that is going to be competing for silverware. I look at the players who left last season, Ronnie and Tevez and I see who has come in this summer and, well, I really do wonder if there's substance to this stuff. If there's all this money to be spent, why isn't it being spent?

DG: Look Wayne. You don't need to concern yourself with that stuff. You just need to look after yourself, ok? Let Alex deal with the squad ok?

WR: But what if he can't afford to get the players in that he wants to get? What if we start sliding backwards behind Chelsea, Arsenal, City, Tottenham...? He might be a genius but he's not a miracle worker. I dunno David. I am going to have to leave this for now and have a think. This is just too massive and you're not really giving me the assurances I need here.

Now, ok. I have totally and utterly made that up but is that not a reasonable scenario?

What we all have to remember is that Wayne Rooney is NOT a Manchester United fan. As he said today, he "cares" for the club, of course he does, it has been a massive part of his life now but his main priority is to win trophies and he WOULD go elsewhere if it was the best thing for his career.

My main problem the other day is that I thought he was fecking us over to get a big payday from City and was hiding being this "assurances" crap to put the blame on us and I thought that was a cnut's trick.

As he seems to have basically accepted the offer that was always there (and certainly hasn't accepted any £300k/week from City) then it would suggest that he really DID have concerns... as we all have... about the future of Manchester United.

It is very easy to knock the lad but if it was you - about to commit five years, possibly your "peak" years, of your footballing career then wouldn't you want to be absolutely certain that you were doing the right thing?
That scenario is what I believed to have happened since he made his announcement. It's why I refused to vilify him then, and why I refuse to vilify him now. It's clear that it wasn't about money or he'd have sat out his contract.

Alex

I am so stoked about him staying, I was a bit down about his past comments and thought him a bit of a twat, no he is Ronaldo or Best, but he is the best United have, and that means unconditionally he is fecking awesome.

Allforone

United could spend £85million on David De Gea, Phi
Out of interest, if Wayne were to dump his agent Paul stretford publicly tomorrow and for instance say he was misled and for all intense and purposes taken advantage of in a difficult time for him and his family would that coupled with him signing the new contract sway the fans back in his favour somewhat?

It was put to me by my dad earlier and after contemplating it for a while i must say it would in some way appease me and ease my anger toward him if im honest, i doubt it will happen of course but wondering what others would make of it if it were to take place, i think hed do himself first and foremost the world of good getting rid of what is obviously a leech like stretford but i also think it would go some way to easing some of the hostility that inevitably a certain amount of fans will feel towards him after the recent events........if he were to say for instance look ive made a mistake i was poorly advised and taken advantage of during an extremely difficult period in my life, i wasn't thinking for myself and i can see now my agent wasnt acting in my best interests hence why hes no longer my representative' or words to that affect.

SittingBull

That's great and all, but what is Sergio Canales u
At United, we strive for perfection, and if we fai
You wont get any point across with the people who have slated him.

They feel idiots and will fight tooth and nail to make sure they are not seen as backing down.

On the contrary, i think you are being judgemental and harsh. The whole problem isn't so much that he doesn't love the club, etc etc, but the fact that he disrespected the club, fans and manager who were directly and wholly responsible for the successes he achieved. When you are the captain of a ship, you don't just jump the feck out of it at the first sight of water seeping in, only to apologise and get back in when it is a false alarm. It says a lot about the character of the person and how much significance the club is to him. For that matter, i cannot look at him the same way, even if he plays 20 years for the club, and i don't begrudge if you and a few others could. Afterall, not everybody possess the same set of morals in their life.

Red Dreams

think him apologizing for his poor behavior and saying his concerns about the club were genuine would itself go some way.

In the end, if he starts scoring again and becomes the player he was last season, the supporters will forgive him everything. Most fans are fickle mate :)

SittingBull

That's great and all, but what is Sergio Canales u
At United, we strive for perfection, and if we fai
think him apologizing for his poor behavior and saying his concerns about the club were genuine would itself go some way.

In the end, if he starts scoring again and becomes the player he was last season, the supporters will forgive him everything. Most fans are fickle mate :)

Quite frankly, the best outcome from this ugly episode is for Fergie to play strikers on form rather than reputation. There are simply too many games where Rooney is a pedestrian, and was kept on despite the likes of Owen and Hernandez deserving of chances.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Sorry mate, but where do I deny it was Rooney's fault? He should never have leaked it to the press. Ironicaly, he probably did it because he didn't want to leave United. Bad move obviously. So now he not only has most United fans against him, he also has the whole God damn world against him. If anyone is feeling embarressed it is probably Rooney. Fergie on the other hand comes out with the issue resolved and his reputation more enhanced than ever before. I wonder who's smiling tonight eh?
Paul Stretford

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I honestly think what's Rooney doing was quite similar to what Rio has done few years back. We will all forget it later.

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
Does anyone else feel the longer this goes on the more and more it's becoming "But gaffer I didn't mean it like"
Mid-day Thursday. Get in.

Think it's true after finally watching the interview. Thought he'd talked himself into a corner and all.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I honestly think what's Rooney doing was quite similar to what Rio has done few years back. We will all forget it later.
Dunno, many still feel Rio is a cnut only worried about his bank account.

And his tweets are cringe worthy. I can't stand seeing a grown man try to slang/text speak on internet forums. Talk English!

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Six months ago, he wanted to be like Giggs, Scholes & Nev. But the timing of this is weird. Why? One trigger could be the Bosman Rule, which applies to players over 25 -- Rooney turns 25 this weekend. Its in your face negotiation tactic.

CheadleBeagle

Rooney should stay with his agent; he has got him a massive pay raise.
I'm glad he is staying as there's no doubt the team is better with him, but I hope one day SAF has the last laugh.

Hitchcocker

If Rooney has pressured the owners in handing the club an extra 60 million in transfer funds, I'd kiss the ground Wayne Rooney walks on, regardless of his motives.

Just sayin...

Alex

It s different but the same, Rio didnt make a public announcement about it, but considering the club stood by his feck up made it all the more callous. that said if rooney if the best attacker for United when they win the next CL PL double as Rio was the best defender I dont say forgotten I say:

Alex

If Rooney has pressured the owners in handing the club an extra 60 million in transfer funds, I'd kiss the ground Wayne Rooney walks on, regardless of his motives.

Just sayin...
I think it could be the proverbial, It;s all that ends well