MERGED: Rooney signs new contract!

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Not to me. I'm just trying to think of a reason players wages are always given as weekly when they are paid (and I am 100% sure) monthly. It just seems odd.
I think it's historical. It started when weekly wages first equalled what most people would hope to earn in a year - which seemed really shocking, yet was still a sum people could relate to.

They're so high now they're almost beyond comprehension, whether weekly, monthly or annual.

I'm always right

I think it's historical. It started when weekly wages first equalled what most people would hope to earn in a year - which seemed really shocking, yet was still a sum people could relate to.

They're so high now they're almost beyond comprehension, whether weekly, monthly or annual.
Yeah that's no doubt bang on Pogue.

In the States they usually talk about how much the player earns over a season don't they? for some reason that seems more bearable, no idea why though.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I saw me agent the other day
He said to me you could double your wage
So I asked
"how is that?"
Don't sign the contract the agent said.
And thus I end up with 180 grand.
I go by the name of green Rooney
I go by the name of green Rooney.

Idiot cost me five infraction points before doing what I just predicted. Get a pay rise and sign the bloody contract. And in the process lost all the respect I had for him. Mercenary twat.
You think that people signing new contracts don't get offered more when they've done well, certainly more then the previous contract?...Is that what you think? He would have got close to that ANYWAY..when the penny drops and let's hope it does, it's kind of a moot point isn't it? It's what he does on the pitch. It's not big brother. It's football. If he scores 60 goals this season you won't say he's worth every penny will you? Well actually, you probably would which is kind of the point. It's on the pitch where we want to see his commitment and off it but that's a given.

Striker10

Which is what?

Can only speak for myself. Last week I couldnt beleive we'd consider selling him to City. But presented with the information that Rooney's own people leaked his intention to leave and not sign a contract, its obvious that they have something in the pipeline. They didnt sit and twiddle thumbs for 2 months did they.

When we sell players we like to do it on our own terms when its right for the club. Putting him on a long contract allows us to do that once again.
Something in the pipeline? Maybe it was signing for United? After all, thats what he has done.

The second point is crazy because you are creating a scenario and will create rumor. People ask how were they able to change Rooneys mind? Why don't you actually think about it? Be creative. Get out the colouring pens. Draw a happy picture. How can anyone answer that question. No one was there so where you go with this is your business but your trying to create fiction here and for what reason? Maybe they DID prove our ambitions? Did you ever think of that Einstein?

Where are the people calling you a dreamer? Where's the :lol:? It's fiction.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
£160k or £180k it doesn't really matter.The increase is still huge and it changes nothing in terms of what happened.The good thing is that the club protected itself for the future

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Yeah that's no doubt bang on Pogue.

In the States they usually talk about how much the player earns over a season don't they? for some reason that seems more bearable, no idea why though.
I think it's because when you're talking of those weekly sums people compare it to what they earn themselves, and get pissed that these players are earning more in a week than what most people do in a year.

If you start talking about it as what they earn in a year people compare them to other rich people, not the average person. And they realise that it's still not as much as top businessman, actors, singers, etc make.

For instance, Rooney's £150k a week sounds a hell of a lot more than £7.8m a year.

Ekeke

Re the first paragraph my personal opinion is that things came to a head because Rooney was being petulant about being dropped. Which would be typical of him. If that hadn't happened the discussions may not have ever gone public.

Re the last paragraph, isn't that stating the obvious? Doesn't mean Rooney's going to leave any time soon though. That's just more speculation.
Rooney may have been petulant about being dropped, but why would his agent and whole camp agree to leaking the contract and leaving situation? Its not like it was something Rooney himself did off the cuff in a tantrum. His people would know better than to let something like that out of the bag when they arent in a strong position.

With 2 months gone, they're bound to have made sure he was in that strong postition knowing what his options are when it comes to clubs interested in him and what kind of money would be on the table. And very likely something they're interested in. On the other hand maybe they spent 2 months seeing whats on offer and werent impressed.

I'm always right

I think it's because when you're talking of those weekly sums people compare it to what they earn themselves, and get pissed that these players are earning more in a week than what most people do in a year.

If you start talking about it as what they earn in a year people compare them to other rich people, not the average person. And they realise that it's still not as much as top businessman, actors, singers, etc make.

For instance, Rooney's £150k a week sounds a hell of a lot more than £7.8m a year.
Good point, Johnny Depp made 33 million quid last year.... poor Wayne.

Ekeke

Something in the pipeline? Maybe it was signing for United? After all, thats what he has done.

The second point is crazy because you are creating a scenario and will create rumor. People ask how were they able to change Rooneys mind? Why don't you actually think about it? Be creative. Get out the colouring pens. Draw a happy picture. How can anyone answer that question. No one was there so where you go with this is your business but your trying to create fiction here and for what reason? Maybe they DID prove our ambitions? Did you ever think of that Einstein?

Where are the people calling you a dreamer? Where's the :lol:? It's fiction.
If he was planning on signing for United for 2 months, it would have gone exactly nothing like this.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Who cares if they get paid by the week or the month .... Doesn't matter a feck. I doubt they are waiting by the ATM for their wages to be transferred in every week

Facts are Rooney shafted the club and fans to get more money out of the club... However would he have been given a massive rise anyway ?

I'm sure he would have without smashing his reputation into the ground even further than the hooker scandal and sticking two fingers up at us fans

I'm sure he could have!

Striker10

If he was planning on signing for United for 2 months, it would have gone exactly nothing like this.
This happens with every contract, only this is more high profile (which is actually an understatement)...maybe they wanted to bluff united and knew time was running out and that clubs would get interested? Or maybe they worried United would transfer list him? Maybe they weren't expecting Sir Alex to open it up to the media which actually forced their hand?..At the end of the day with a contract ready it took him a day or two to sign it. Hardly someone who's seriously looking to leave

If he was planning to leave United for the last two months, why was it news to everyone till only recently? He told the club, not the media. He's probably had bad advice but you have to imagine that there are things behind the scenes, we aren't privy too. We know what we see but often there are other factors we're not shown because it's the smarter way to go about things

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Rooney may have been petulant about being dropped, but why would his agent and whole camp agree to leaking the contract and leaving situation? Its not like it was something Rooney himself did off the cuff in a tantrum. His people would know better than to let something like that out of the bag when they arent in a strong position.

With 2 months gone, they're bound to have made sure he was in that strong postition knowing what his options are when it comes to clubs interested in him and what kind of money would be on the table. And very likely something they're interested in. On the other hand maybe they spent 2 months seeing whats on offer and werent impressed.
Rooney's "camp" do what Rooney tells them. If he wanted to force the issue, for whatever reason, he'll have demanded they up the ante and they'll have done as they're asked. That's the way these things work.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Sorry, if already posted
uch was Sir Alex Ferguson's determination to force Rooney into a change of heart over his refusal to sign a new deal at Old Trafford, the England forward, who celebrates his 25th birthday on Sunday, was given an unprecedented direct line to the senior member of the Glazer family, United's American owners.
The ground had been prepared for United to reopen negotiations with Rooney, who had informed the club on Aug 14 of his desire to leave, following talks between the Glazers and United chief executive David Gill on Wednesday evening in the wake of the player's statement which had underlined his reluctance.

That phone call resulted in Gill being given the green light to allay Rooney's concerns over a lack of investment in Ferguson's squad since the departures of Cristiano Ronaldo and Carlos Tévez in June 2009, but the player himself was given direct assurances during his conversation with Joel that money will be made available for United to recruit the world's best players.
United's debt, which now exceeds £720 million, has prompted concerns among the club's fan base over their ability to compete with the likes of Manchester City and Chelsea in the transfer market.
But having been assured by Glazer that repaying the debt will not affect Ferguson's transfer kitty, Rooney was then prepared to review the outline structure of the contract offer drawn up by the club, but unseen by Rooney, during the summer.
Gill was then able to make progress in talks in his Old Trafford office with Paul Stretford, Rooney's agent. Ferguson also discussed Rooney's future with Gill and Stretford on Thursday afternoon.
With Rooney signalling his readiness to consider United's offer, the player left the negotiations in the hands of Stretford and Gill, while lawyers from both camps began work on drawing up the legal framework of the contract which United insist contains no escape clause for the player.
Gill left Old Trafford on Thursday night confident that a deal was now more likely than not, prompting the club to release a holding statement at 7pm that evening.
But the contract was not finalised until Friday morning, when Rooney arrived for training at United's Carrington training ground and spoke to Ferguson before confirming his decision to stay.
Rooney's advisers formally informed Gill and an agreement was reached just before noon on Friday. United released a statement confirming the news at 12:37pm.
The contract remained unsigned for another hour, however, until Rooney left Carrington to put pen to paper at Old Trafford, prior to his interview with the club's TV channel, MUTV, at 2pm.

Redrage

You think that people signing new contracts don't get offered more when they've done well, certainly more then the previous contract?...Is that what you think? He would have got close to that ANYWAY..when the penny drops and let's hope it does, it's kind of a moot point isn't it? It's what he does on the pitch. It's not big brother. It's football. If he scores 60 goals this season you won't say he's worth every penny will you? Well actually, you probably would which is kind of the point. It's on the pitch where we want to see his commitment and off it but that's a given.
I don't get bothered by the amount of money. He around about deserves £150K anything more its for the club to decide. You can't question his quality.

Its the way that he held the club, the manager at ransom is pathetic. He still has a lot to do before everyone gets behind him. Was it all worth it? Questioning the ambition of the club and doubting your teammates quality for money, Christ can't believe how you can overlook that.
Him staying can only be good for the club, but for me he has to start all over again.

Striker10

I don't get bothered by the amount of money. He around about deserves £150K anything more its for the club to decide. You can't question his quality.

Its the way that he held the club, the manager at ransom is pathetic. He still has a lot to do before everyone gets behind him. Was it all worth it? Questioning the ambition of the club and doubting your teammates quality for money, Christ can't believe how you can overlook that.
Him staying can only be good for the club, but for me he has to start all over again.
Easy. You think worse things don't happen in life? How do you sleep at night? :)

twitter thread suggester
People, let's keep the transfer and Cleverley talk to it's respective forums/threads.
This might be a mess of a thread, but no need to make it even more of a mess.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Re the timing of payments; I believe it's all changed since Riise's payslip found it's way onto the internet. It's my understanding that most PL footballers take advantage of EBT's and other clever avoidance schemes. One of the leading tax lecturers in the country recently claimed when delivering a course that most of the big name player are paying only around 4% in tax due to the way they have things set up.

Makes these figures all the more disgusting, eh?!

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
People, let's keep the transfer and Cleverley talk to it's respective forums/threads.
This might be a mess of a thread, but no need to make it even more of a mess.
Considering that the club have made assurances to Rooney in terms of squad investment I think transfer talk is very much relevant to the thread.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
If, and its a BIG IF, there is any good to come out of this, its that Rooney will be re-motivated to put everything that has happened behind him and regain his form quickly, inspiring our team to get back on track.

I think a situation has presented itself so that he can put all that he has 'endured' in the past six months behind him and make a fresh start: with his family, his manager and team mates and now his fanbase. What no-one can doubt is that at his best he is one of the finest players in the world. His self created problems were undoubtedly stopping him from expressing himself, but now with those issues seemingly resolved, he can hopefully put in mind and soul back into just playing football.

Despite feeling insulted by his behaviour towards the club, I think he will immediately regain his form and that his team-mates will relish that and that as a result, our side we get an uplift from this. There is no doubt that he will have woken up this morning a new man with renewed purpose and motivation. All his issues are in the open, have been scrubbed and laundered and the only way for him is up.

That SAF has managed to engineer the situation to come to this end result is nothing short of miraculous. What I liked most about SAFs most recent comment was that he expected Rooney not only to regain his form but also to act as the catalyst and role model for the burgeoning young talent that we also have at the club right now. And so for his increased gratuities, the club expects him to help develop the likes of Macheda, Hernandez et al, just as he was mentored by Giggs, Rio and co.

I dont know what the future holds, but I find it hard to think I will feel the same about him into the future .... but then I never ever expected this week to unfold as it has done, so you just never know. However, I never ever doubt SAF, so if the club manager whnm I respect and adore thinks its best for the club to keep Rooney as its heartbeat, then at some point so will I.

twitter thread suggester
Considering that the club have made assurances to Rooney in terms of squad investment I think transfer talk is very much relevant to the thread.
It's not.

Speculation on who we are going to buy is of no relevance to this thread. You can ponder all you like about us buying Kaka, just do it in the Transfer Forum.

Just because future signings can be related to this saga does not mean all rumours about potential signings should be jammed in here.

Peasplease

So it wasn't 180,000 after all? should shut up some of the drama queens around here but as Pogue mentioned, people choose to believe whatever best suits their agenda.

In my opinion the club won this one, they didn't bend over to the bin dipper.
Er, so now you believe that article, despite it being no more credible than any of the others? You said it best; people choose to believe whatever best suits their agenda.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
It's not.

Speculation on who we are going to buy is of no relevance to this thread. You can ponder all you like about us buying Kaka, just do it in the Transfer Forum.

Just because future signings can be related to this saga does not mean all rumours about potential signings should be jammed in here.
Alright boss, what ever you say.

evra

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
In the sense that Rooney could clearly have engineered a move to City where he would have been on money over and above Yaya Toure I think Fergie is right, when a player is willing to forgo another 100k a week to play at utd then it says something about the appeal of utd. Obviously we've gone over and above what we were wanting to pay our players (which will haunt us when Nani et al come for extensions) but Rooney would definitely have got more had he gone to city (not to mention a massive signing on fee).

On a side note :lol: at Everton fans banking on a few million to sign Landon Donovan.

Redrage

Easy. You think worse things don't happen in life? How do you sleep at night? :)
Yes right just because worse things have happened doesn't make this any less bad does it? It still is pathetic stuff from Rooney for money.
He will continue to wear the red shirt so he has my full support, but I'd never idolize him again the way I used to. His reputation has been tainted for ever.

ooeat0meoo

Member of the Muppet Empire
My Happy Place - So Don't Be fecking With Me!
ooeat0meoo, before you make a complete ass of yourself, i posted my remark re his reps on page 126 post # 5040........go and check WANKER!
'Wannabe' :lol:

You've been around since 2003... by now you might have realized that I am a more the regular fixture of the redcafe. Most of my posts are joking around ~ light hearted fun.

As far as the 'Wanker' comment... I've been slandered by worse people on the Caf. Oh, and you might want to try and get over yourself and your 'I'm more red than you' attitude. It doesn't play well on an international forum.

I think Red Issue is calling for your return.

Rednails

This has all left a bad taste in the mouth. Mockney summed it up perfectly on Thursday night - Rooney has come to represent everything that's bad about football.

Tomorrow Coleen is spending £300,000 on a birthday bash for Wayne. In the week that thousands of public sector workers have been told they are out of a job and when grown men have been in tears on the TV news because they think they are going to be thrown out of their homes with the cut-backs. It stinks, it just stinks.

One thing is for sure - the Bosman rule has got to be changed because the way its going, English football is going to be blasted out of the water by players' inflationary demands.

fergieisold

This has all left a bad taste in the mouth. Mockney summed it up perfectly on Thursday night - Rooney has come to represent everything that's bad about football.

Tomorrow Coleen is spending £300,000 on a birthday bash for Wayne. In the week that thousands of public sector workers have been told they are out of a job and when grown men have been in tears on the TV news because they think they are going to be thrown out of their homes with the cut-backs. It stinks, it just stinks.

One thing is for sure - the Bosman rule has got to be changed because the way its going, English football is going to be blasted out of the water by players' inflationary demands.
What you expect them to do? Give it to the public sector workers who lost their jobs? It's not nice for people losing work but it's the way the world works. Some people are rich and some people get screwed in life.

wr8_utd

:'(
WorldSoccerEd Man Utd charging media £300 each to use pic of Rooney/smiling Fergie. Got to pay for Rooney deal somehow...

:lol:

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.

Maybe all these people who are out of a job should develop a talent that will bring their company hundreds of million £ a year in income. Then they will get a slice of it too. If they don't bring their business that kind of money they can't feel bad when someone who does, spends what he has been paid for bringing in all that business.

Wayne brought that money into United, he got paid a share of that. If my team made my company hundreds of millions a year I'd want £100k a week as well rather than fat cat boss keeping all the money I made him.

It's BS that they should not spend money because some people are out of jobs.

evra

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
Maybe all these people who are out of a job should develop a talent that will bring their company hundreds of million £ a year in income. Then they will get a slice of it too. If they don't bring their business that kind of money they can't feel bad when someone who does, spends what he has been paid for bringing in all that business.

Wayne brought that money into United, he got paid a share of that. If my team made my company hundreds of millions a year I'd want £100k a week as well rather than fat cat boss keeping all the money I made him.

You're not going to make any friends with that opinion but from a cold economic standpoint I'm inclined to agree with you.

Rednails

What you expect them to do? Give it to the public sector workers who lost their jobs? It's not nice for people losing work but it's the way the world works. Some people are rich and some people get screwed in life.
No, just saying, thats all.

I do believe however that the greed played a big part in Rooney's reputation taking a huge nose-dive this week and that might have led to him changing his mind.

olesmyhero

Emmy Moses

The Rooney family has clearly earned that 300k, so they can do with it however they want. Should they just stop spending money depending on the economy?

Rednails

Its that sort of attitude that led to the rise of Marxism.

Spoony

The People's President
Its that sort of attitude that led to the rise of Marxism.
Ahh but I doubt anyone on here really cares about a few millions starving Africans or Pakistani flood victims when they're tucking into their Sunday Roast after an all night bender the night before.