MERGED: Rooney signs new contract!

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Its impossible to keep up with this thread. First Rooney is the worst thing on earth, pissed on the club, an overrated footballer who should feck off, now its good that he stays, cause he is so important to our team and was actually right by critisizing the team...

My nerves...

MANU1960

ooeat0meoo, before you make a complete ass of yourself, i posted my remark re his reps on page 126 post # 5040........go and check WANKER!

Redrage

I saw me agent the other day
He said to me you could double your wage
So I asked
"how is that?"
Don't sign the contract the agent said.
And thus I end up with 180 grand.
I go by the name of green Rooney
I go by the name of green Rooney.

Idiot cost me five infraction points before doing what I just predicted. Get a pay rise and sign the bloody contract. And in the process lost all the respect I had for him. Mercenary twat.

TheReligion

Abusive
I saw me agent the other day
He said to me you could double your wage
So I asked
"how is that?"
Don't sign the contract the agent said.
And thus I end up with 180 grand.
I go by the name of green Rooney
I go by the name of green Rooney.

Idiot cost me five infraction points before doing what I just predicted. Get a pay rise and sign the bloody contract. And in the process lost all the respect I had for him. Mercenary twat.
Again, this is getting tiresome. Who people keep making up figures about his wages? I have seen the press, yes the PRESS, mention an array of varying figures. The same press who have got almost everything wrong about this story since it broke.

As said AGAIN, Rooney was always going to get a pay rise from the club. Fergie said at his conference that much himself. He also said, Rooney hadn't even looked at the contract so there was in theory no offer there on the table, but the door was open should he change his mindset.

If that is true, Rooney signed the contract the day he was given it to look at.

Hardly sounds like an intense money hungry game of cat and mouse does it?

All I am saying is keep an open mind, which is something alot of people on the forum have failed to do the past few days and now it has come full circle to bite their arses.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Told you he'd stay.

Nice to see Fergie and Wazza come up with the plan to get a proper transfer kitty out of the gimps and hopefully get rid of that stupid one year rule. Genius.
Rooney just pissed in your pocket and then told you it's raining.

kiristao

How many of you think he has signed a new contract that has a buy-out clause of about 50-60ml so that he can leave this summer?

Redrage

Its hard to keep an open mind especially after the shit he spouted about the club not being ambitious enough.

He knew the Glazer situation for years now.

What changed between March and August and more importantly what changed in a matter of a day?
Its silly to think it wasn't about money.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Again, this is getting tiresome. Who people keep making up figures about his wages? I have seen the press, yes the PRESS, mention an array of varying figures. The same press who have got almost everything wrong about this story since it broke.

As said AGAIN, Rooney was always going to get a pay rise from the club. Fergie said at his conference that much himself. He also said, Rooney hadn't even looked at the contract so there was in theory no offer there on the table, but the door was open should he change his mindset.

If that is true, Rooney signed the contract the day he was given it to look at.

Hardly sounds like an intense money hungry game of cat and mouse does it?

All I am saying is keep an open mind, which is something alot of people on the forum have failed to do the past few days and now it has come full circle to bite their arses.
People can have open minds and yet have an opinion that differs from yours. And him signing a new deal hasn't come to bite anyone in the arse. It just means that he stays.

We've not been given all that much information and the 'truth' will never come out. But based on the statements and events one can form an opinion. In fact you've just done that in your second last line. So is everyone else.

Anyways, I'm not giving the Wayne the benefit of doubt here. Him signing it quickly doesn't have anything to do with loyalty or the lack of money as a motive IMO. It's because of how Fergie handled things and ensured Rooney was getting an absolute pasting in the press and by fans, that it all happened so fast. Also, Fergie didn't want it to carry on till the next game, so all in all, for both sides, it made sense to get to a solution fast.

On the other hand, many of us cannot easily forget his pathetic behavior in the last few days and it seems perfectly understandable. He's behaved like a complete cock, rubbed mud in the clubs face, gets what it seems a fantastic contract (it seems not is) and seems as though he has no remorse whatsoever. That was an apology, really? I doubt this mans character.

amolbhatia50k

How many of you think he has signed a new contract that has a buy-out clause of about 50-60ml so that he can leave this summer?
Don't think so. However I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave in the summer for a huge fee.

Neutral

BTV
Don't think so. However I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave in the summer for a huge fee.
Don't think anyone can say anything with any certainly/confidence any longer. But if this was to happen, would he not just have signed an extension, and not a whole new deal?

After all his old deal was to run out in 2012, it says 5 year deal, yet this contract ends in 2015. So I'm thinking there has been a overhaul of everything, wages, image rights, etc etc....Not to mention in that case, he would have probably just done the, "we got a deal done that is a win win for both parties", as opposed to, "I hope to earn back the trust of the fans."

mamboza

Somehow I have a feeling that Rooney will be sold off come next summer for massive fee. This was turning out to be the worst of time for a transfer for both party. The club wouldn't get much from him, Rooney is in bad form and his brand ruined. With a new contract signed, given enough time on the field, he then performs well and his image restored, which club would't pay 35-45 million for him? May be I'm being negative here, but no one in history who has crossed SAF and ruined club's image this badly ever remain long at the club. Beckham, Ronaldo, Keane etc. were more influential figures than Rooney ever was. But we are now in financial crisis, and I feel the club could not afford to lose him for cheap.

I hope I'm wrong, cos I would like to believe that all is resolved, Rooney really want to stay and SAF will now be given more cash. But who really knows what goes behind the scene.

kiristao

That is what I mean. The buy out clause is just to guarantee that if a big offer comes, United have to sell.
The buy out clause is just a way of safeguarding his interests.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
The only assurance Wayne wanted was that his wage would be bigger than anyone else on the team and he got it. Isn't Wayne the highest paid player in Man United history now?
He was always going to be the highest paid in our history. It's generally accepted Rio is on 120k a week, Ronaldo was on 140k a week, and our offer to Rooney was 150k.

Now, some reports are saying that the new deal is still 150k, which basically indicates he came crawling back asking for forgiveness and accepted the same contract that he declined before. Other reports are that his new one is a bit higher (180k a week has been mentioned), but even in that case it's not like he forced us to double what we were offering.

Ekeke

Don't think anyone can say anything with any certainly/confidence any longer. But if this was to happen, would he not just have signed an extension, and not a whole new deal?

After all his old deal was to run out in 2012, it says 5 year deal, yet this contract ends in 2015. So I'm thinking there has been a overhaul of everything, wages, image rights, etc etc....Not to mention in that case, he would have probably just done the, "we got a deal done that is a win win for both parties", as opposed to, "I hope to earn back the trust of the fans."
He can earn the trust back of a lot of fans in one season. Lots of posters are already back onside. And yeah he got more money - if he didnt get more money than his previous deal that'd look a bit fishy dont you think? Besides, more incentive to sign any kind of deal. Afterall he spent 2 months not wanting to sign one and then his people leaked it all to the press.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He's clearly been given more incentive to sign the deal.

Exactly what that incentive was - realising what a pariah he would become if he left, a higher salary, or assurances about Fergie's plans for the future - remains unknown.

As per usual in debates like this, people have chosen as fact the scenario that best suits their own agenda.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
The club have categorically denied that such a clause exists.
That doesn't mean something like that doesn't exist nick.
Clubs deny shit all the time ...
I would bet there is some sort of minimum sell on fee clause as well as a rise for Rooney ..
We will never know the exact details but can only assume both parties are going to do well from the deal

Ekeke

Exactly what that incentive was - realising what a pariah he would become if he left, a higher salary, or assurances about Fergie's plans for the future - remains unknown.

As per usual in debates like this, people have chosen as fact the scenario that best suits their own agenda.
Which is what?

Can only speak for myself. Last week I couldnt beleive we'd consider selling him to City. But presented with the information that Rooney's own people leaked his intention to leave and not sign a contract, its obvious that they have something in the pipeline. They didnt sit and twiddle thumbs for 2 months did they.

When we sell players we like to do it on our own terms when its right for the club. Putting him on a long contract allows us to do that once again.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Re the first paragraph my personal opinion is that things came to a head because Rooney was being petulant about being dropped. Which would be typical of him. If that hadn't happened the discussions may not have ever gone public.

Re the last paragraph, isn't that stating the obvious? Doesn't mean Rooney's going to leave any time soon though. That's just more speculation.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Rumours are now that the contract may be worth upto £250,000 p/w all in.
Rooney ready to face the biggest challenge of his career after penning £250k a-week mega-dealWayne Rooney has ended the saga over his future by signing a new £60million deal – but now the hard work really begins for the Premier League’s top earner.

If Rooney thought the past six months had been tough, with his woeful World Cup, poor domestic form and a sex scandal involving prostitutes, he now faces his biggest challenge of all – proving himself all over again.

Having pushed the loyalty of his manager, team-mates and fans to the limit with his explosive *statement questioning Manchester United’s ambition, Rooney now finds himself with significant bridges to build.

And after penning a new five-year deal that will earn him £250,000 a week, Rooney admitted he faces a battle to win back the trust of everyone at United for putting them through one of the most turbulent weeks in the club’s history.

“I’m sure the fans have been upset after everything they’ve heard,” said Rooney. “My message to them is that I care for the club.

“I just want it to continue to be successful. Some fans may not take to me again very quickly. It may take time. But I’ll give everything.

“I’ll give 100 per cent and try to build that relationship. I hope we can work together and try and win trophies.

“Once it (the contract issue) became public knowledge we had to move quicker than expected. Once it all came out it looked as though there was nowhere to go.

“But the manager made it clear the door was still open for me to sign. That’s when I spoke to my agent. I said ‘Let’s go and sit down and get it resolved’. I’m glad we sorted it out.”

But it will take more than bold talk for many in and out of Old Trafford to forgive Rooney for the unsavoury saga of the past week. The only way Rooney, who turns 25 tomorrow, can earn redemption is through his performances on the pitch.

A measure of Rooney’s current dip in form is that he has not scored a goal in open play for United since March 30 and, while an ankle injury will keep him out for the next three weeks, he will be expected to make an instant impact on his return.

“I can’t wait to play,” said Rooney. “I’m just gutted that I’m injured. I just want to get back on to the pitch and back to my best.

“There’s obviously been a lot of controversy over this, but I’m delighted to finally sign. It’s been difficult for me and for the club as well.

“But I felt I had to get my point across. As a player I care for the club, but I had some concerns. I made David Gill and the manager aware of that, but then it didn’t really move forward.

“When it was made public that made it more difficult and myself and the club felt we had to move quickly to sort it out. Talks with the manager, David Gill and the Glazers confirmed to me that this is the right club to be at and that I will be successful and continue to win things.

“There were other things I wanted to air and then I was happy to move forwards and sign. It’s about the football club and my career and I had to think about it very hard. I’m just delighted it’s over and we can put it to the back of our minds.”

Rooney paid tribute to Sir Alex Ferguson for convincing him to stay, the United boss having persuaded the striker he would be making the biggest mistake of his career by leaving to join, in all likelihood, their local rivals Manchester City.

Fear of a leap into the unknown, despite the mega-riches on offer at City, as well as Fergie’s warning that few players ever leave United and better themselves, persuaded him to stay put.

With Rooney able to command a bigger salary elsewhere, it was never about the money, although the £160,000 a week, plus around £90,000 a week on top in image rights, have made him the country’s top- earning player.

As well as a mind-blowing salary, Rooney was assured by Fergie and Gill that United, despite the obvious financial handicaps imposed by the club’s ownership under the Glazers, would make available funds to sign top players next summer.

And, with an assurance that Fergie intended to stay at the helm at United for at least the next two seasons, Rooney felt his concerns had been addressed and he and his agent Paul Stretford agreed to sign a new deal.

“The manager has been fantastic,” said Rooney. “He’s one of the reasons I came to the club, to work under him and be successful.

“I’m hoping that over the next few years we can do that again. He’s not the only reason I’m staying here. The supporters have been great. But he’s a big reason. He has experience, passion and the will to win.”

Rooney’s United and England team-mate, Rio Ferdinand, admitted the past week had been trying for everyone at Old Trafford but hailed the outcome.

“You’ve seen great players in the past leave this club and always talk about regretting it,” he said. “I think he’s put all of that into his thought process and decided this is the best place for him. It’s important we get together as a team now and put this behind us.

“We need to make sure we use this as a catalyst to kick on for the rest of the season.”

Whether Rooney can do the same, drawing a line under the saga over his future and using it as a chance to relaunch his United career, remains to be seen. But nothing less will do.
Everyone saying he should sack his agent, if this is true he should be bending over for him.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Rumours are now that the contract may be worth upto £250,000 p/w all in.

Everyone saying he should sack his agent, if this is true he should be bending over for him.
I don't believe this thing, not a chance that he is on anywhere near 250 grands per week

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Rumours are the contract may be worth upto £250,000 p/w all in.
250,000M :eek::eek::eek: That is totally not worth it for any player on the planet. We are going to be in so much more debt if that wage amount is true. I really hope Rooney is not robbing us. Even 180,000 is pretty high for him. Anything less than 150,000 is the best choice.

prateik

£160,000 a week, plus around £90,000 a week on top in image rights

160k a week contract according to that article

Neutral

BTV
Someone explain the image rights thing to me...

So United are paying him an extra XXX amount of money to have the right to use his image for advertising etc etc?

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
His new salary is 160k/week (assuming the figures in that article are correct)

They've added on the money earned from image rights to inflate the figure for dramatic effect. Image rights would never usually be considered part of a player's weekly salary.
Why I said all in.

Neutral

BTV
Someone explain the image rights thing to me...

So United are paying him an extra XXX amount of money to have the right to use his image for advertising etc etc?
When a player signs for a club he has two options. Either he seeks to profit from selling his own image rights, or he lets the club use his image in exchange for an annual payment. This payment goes into the player's 'image company', many of which are based offshore. Almost all players opt for the latter”
ohhhhhhhhhhhhh

amolbhatia50k

With little to work with, everyones formed their own opinion, which is fair enough. It's hard not to have an opinion on a topic such as this. I doubt there are many who believe the scenario they are leaning towards as fact.

I'm always right

So it wasn't 180,000 after all? should shut up some of the drama queens around here but as Pogue mentioned, people choose to believe whatever best suits their agenda.

In my opinion the club won this one, they didn't bend over to the bin dipper.